RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Battlebots "It's Robot Fighting Time" again - RightNation.US

Battlebots "It's Robot Fighting Time" again Rate Topic: -----

#41 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 20 July 2019 - 05:54 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 20 July 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

Oh well, LOL, it's just a TV show. I forgive ya. And in any case, some of the other matches were good. But I think "Blacksmith" got robbed.

B)

Ray Billings just has a big target on his back. I think he just likes to play the villain, because before the contest he was very polite to Victor Soto.

But (doing a little Friday afternoon quarterbacking) Tombstone lost to Rotator in much the same way that he lost last year. He's vulnerable to quick attacks that make him lose his stability and do wheelies on the area floor. I do think he's the "best bot" it's just that EVERYONE is gunning for him. (And that's as it should be, since he's the top seed.)

Oh, and just to add, we didn't think Blacksmith was robbed, we just thought it should have (at least) been a split decision. Honestly, that was almost a comical fight. Nobody's offensive weapon was working well.

#42 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 20 July 2019 - 10:50 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 20 July 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

Ray Billings just has a big target on his back. I think he just likes to play the villain, because before the contest he was very polite to Victor Soto.

But (doing a little Friday afternoon quarterbacking) Tombstone lost to Rotator in much the same way that he lost last year. He's vulnerable to quick attacks that make him lose his stability and do wheelies on the area floor. I do think he's the "best bot" it's just that EVERYONE is gunning for him. (And that's as it should be, since he's the top seed.)

Oh, and just to add, we didn't think Blacksmith was robbed, we just thought it should have (at least) been a split decision. Honestly, that was almost a comical fight. Nobody's offensive weapon was working well.

Well I just plain disagree about Blacksmith, and so does my GF, BTW, LOL: We both agree Blacksmith was the clear winner. Not merely "barely", but overwhelmingly. Sheesh, the other bot's (whose name escapes me) weapon was completely non-functional by the end of the match.

B)

#43 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 22 July 2019 - 08:43 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 20 July 2019 - 11:29 AM, said:

Oh well, LOL, it's just a TV show. I forgive ya. And in any case, some of the other matches were good. But I think "Blacksmith" got robbed.

B)

It won't happen again.

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 20 July 2019 - 05:54 PM, said:

Respectfully, I disagree about Tombstone being the best bot. I take that term to mean the bot that wins the most and loses the least, and that bot happens to be Bite Force. Bite Force is 20-1 in competition (and even the one loss was a very flukey/unlucky decision) while Tombstone is 26-6 (and some of those losses are pretty clear cut, like the count out it just suffered from Rotator).

What Tombstone actually is is the most exciting bot. Its kill-or-be-killed fighting style makes for spectacular wins AND losses, though it wins much more than it loses, granted. But it DOES lose almost 20% of the time. Bite Force is significantly more successful, but with a more boring, play-it-safe fighting style based on taking minimal damage and doing just enough to win. It's sort of what Floyd Mayweather was as a boxer - someone whose first priority is defense and who otherwise usually jabs his way to boring decision victories. Tombstone's human equivalent would be Mike Tyson - someone with a fearsome aura who comes out looking for vicious knockouts, and who mostly got them but who also happened to lose a number of times when he was in against elite opposition like Holyfield and Lewis, and even once in a while against mere journeymen like Buster Douglas.

Besides the exciting fighting style, Tombstone's driver also adopts a sort of pro wrestling "heel" persona that adds to the excitement of Tombstone. But again, Bite Force is actually the "best bot" until something changes.

#44 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2019 - 07:53 AM

So please don't post spoilers, because our TV service (philo) apparently decided to go through puberty and not record what we set it to record ten minutes into the program.

HOWEVER, last year the desperado tournament was a group of robots fighting in the ring at the same time, not the bracketed version we got this year.

I am so conflicted. I realize that it was unfair, because one robot could do most of the damage--or groups of robots could gang up against more powerful robots, but it was different than the normal one vs. one that we see every week.

Last night was more like a "mini-series." And not "desperado-like" at all.

I don't know if I like it, because it's more fair, or dislike it, because it's not the "everybody in the cage at the same time and whoever lives, wins."

#45 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:24 AM

I liked last night's show. My only complaint (and this goes for all their shows, not just last night's) is they do WAY too much talking in between matches. They could easily fit all the matches into one hour if they'd knock off all the jibber-jabber.

B)

#46 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:47 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 27 July 2019 - 10:24 AM, said:

I liked last night's show. My only complaint (and this goes for all their shows, not just last night's) is they do WAY too much talking in between matches. They could easily fit all the matches into one hour if they'd knock off all the jibber-jabber.

B)

That's why we tape the shows. We zip past commercials AND jibber-jabber. Makes for a more entertaining evening.

#47 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 27 July 2019 - 10:52 AM

:2up:

#48 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2019 - 03:07 PM

Just watched and wow. It was good last night.

I say this not having watched the endless talk. I don't mind the announcer or the "color" guys. I just think they should have less time yakking and more robot mayhem.

The final was awesome! I have a daughter who lived in Brazil for 2 years, so I'm going to call her and see if she saw it.

(I hope that's not a spoiler.)

#49 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 27 July 2019 - 03:24 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 27 July 2019 - 03:07 PM, said:

Just watched and wow. It was good last night.

I say this not having watched the endless talk. I don't mind the announcer or the "color" guys. I just think they should have less time yakking and more robot mayhem.

The final was awesome! I have a daughter who lived in Brazil for 2 years, so I'm going to call her and see if she saw it.

(I hope that's not a spoiler.)

No spoiler for us on the west coast!

But THIS IS a spoiler alert for anybody who hasn't yet watched it: READ NO FURTHER IN THIS POST

And now, being free to talk about it - Yup, some great matches last night, especially the big grand finale (Brazil vs Brazil, LOL.) That one was classic. We did not expect Black Dragon to defeat Minotaur.

And how bout that "demonstration" match just before the grand finale! What did you think of that 100-pound-blade configuration? I think that one has GREAT potential once they work out their "driving" & "steering" drawbacks.

B)

#50 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• View blog

Posted 27 July 2019 - 05:11 PM

Stability is the big problem with the Seal Team's robot. But yeah, slicing a bot in two was pretty awesome. I didn't remember that they hadn't been able to participate because of safety reasons. But my husband and son did.

#51 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 23 August 2019 - 09:09 PM

NO SPOILERS

Just saying there was a controversial decision on the undercard (you'll probably know when you see it) and a hell of a main event. As always, worth watching.

#52 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 24 August 2019 - 01:28 AM

We missed it and will be watching on "Xfinity" sometime over the next couple days. Really appreciate the "No Spoiler".

:2up:

#53 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2019 - 09:16 PM

Well, my husband and I disagreed with the results (of the spoiler that I'm not going to spoil.)

We both thought it would be a split decision at the very least.

#54 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted Yesterday, 12:21 AM

OK we've seen it now, and can't figure out what was "controversial".

:shrug:

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users