RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: 35 States Tell the FCC to Get Off Its Ass and Do Something About Spoof - RightNation.US

35 States Tell the FCC to Get Off Its Ass and Do Something About Spoof Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Gertie Keddle 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

Tech Policy
35 States Tell the FCC to Get Off Its Ass and Do Something About Spoofed Robocalls
Jennings Brown
Yesterday 5:57pmFiled to: robocalls
Gizmodo
Excerpt:

A bipartisan coalition of 35 attorneys general signed a formal request today for the Federal Communications Commission to do something about all the damn spoofing robocalls that have driven us all to basically stop answering our phones ever.

Seriously, I just got a spam call as I was writing this.

Last November, the FCC created the 2017 Call Blocking Order, which is supposed to provide phone companies a means of weeding out and blocking robocalls. But a group of concerned attorneys general have observed that the robocall issue is getting worse, despite the order.

In 2017, the Federal Trade Commission received 4.5 million complaints about robocalls. The formal comment released today states that reports reflect there were an estimated 30.5 billion illegal robocalls made to cellphones and landlines last year.

The formal comment shakes its fist at scammers and spammers that have plagued the nation’s phones with robocalls—especially calls from spoof numbers that make it seem like the calls are coming from a nearby area code.

“Unwanted robocalls aren’t just a nuisance—they’re a means for scammers to take advantage of unsuspecting New Yorkers,” New York Attorney General Barbara Underwood said, in the press statement. “New Yorkers have been bombarded with these illegal robocall scams—including the all-too-common spoofed calls that appear to come from a neighbor—and it’s time for federal action.”

The document calls upon the FCC to create new rules that would let telephone service providers block these types of “neighbor spoofing” calls.

Article

This post has been edited by Gertie Keddle: 10 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

#2 User is offline   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!
  • Group: Silver

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:12 AM

If I don't recognize the number I don' answer. That's why God invented voicemail. . .

#3 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:22 AM

Personally, I believe that the people making these robocalls should be tied to a chair, then kneecapped. After they've suffered with blown knees for awhile, someone should stand next to them for an hour or two with an empty revolver pointed at their head pulling the trigger and spinning the cylinder after each trigger pull. Then finally, someone can walk up with a .45 auto loaded with hollow points and blow their brains out.

#4 User is offline   Martin 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:23 AM

View Postmjperry51, on 10 October 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

If I don't recognize the number I don' answer. That's why God invented voicemail. . .

I run a business based on prompt personal service. I have to answer the phone, especially if it starts with a local exchange. It could be a customer and I want to give him immediate attention. The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority requires me to use a voicemail greeting which is longer by actual measurement than the Gettysburg Address. It is annoying but better for my customers if I answer every call that comes in although that means I get several spoofing robocalls per day.

#5 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:08 PM

This all began under the Obamunist.
It's been going on ever since.
The national "do not call list" has not ever been enforced since the Obamunist took office.
This was yet one more of those many laws that they "chose not to enforce" likely because they were too busy abusing the DOJ and all alphabet agencies to go after and destroy conservatives.

#6 User is offline   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:17 PM

View PostMartin, on 10 October 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

I run a business based on prompt personal service. I have to answer the phone, especially if it starts with a local exchange. It could be a customer and I want to give him immediate attention. The Financial Industry Regulatory Authority requires me to use a voicemail greeting which is longer by actual measurement than the Gettysburg Address. It is annoying but better for my customers if I answer every call that comes in although that means I get several spoofing robocalls per day.
As am I -- fortunately the only number that gets spoofed calls is my cell -- and it's the spoof that duplicates my area code and the first 3 digits of the number. Pretty easy to spot

#7 User is offline   Martin 

• <no title>

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:32 PM

View Postmjperry51, on 10 October 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

As am I -- fortunately the only number that gets spoofed calls is my cell -- and it's the spoof that duplicates my area code and the first 3 digits of the number. Pretty easy to spot

I don't understand. If the call shows your area code and your local exchange, how do the last four digits identify it as a robo-spoof? Might it not be a legitimate call?

#8 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

View PostMartin, on 10 October 2018 - 12:32 PM, said:

I don't understand. If the call shows your area code and your local exchange, how do the last four digits identify it as a robo-spoof? Might it not be a legitimate call?

The last four digits don't signify that. But if you get a call with your same area code AND prefix, odds are it is a robocall.

#9 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:06 PM

Thatís my rule too. If I donít know the number and they donít leave a vmail, then I donít know them and donít need to worry about the call. I know that can be hard, especially if you are the curious sort. I know it doesnít work at an office if you have to answer calls and donít know the numbers of genuine potentials clients.

I also am ticked that the "do not call list" is worthless. Tried it, never did any good. And it did seem to get worse under Obama. Just more of his useless legacy in my opinion.

#10 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:18 PM

35 States Tell the FCC to Get Off Its Ass and Do Something About Spoofed Robocalls

With Trump, things may be different, but don't hold your breath.

#11 User is offline   linewinder 

• Ichi Go Ni
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:20 PM

We get 2-3 of these a day, between our cell phones and land line.
As I mentioned in another thread I got a robo-call from my own number.

We've been getting the "cruise ship" deal from Florida for about 6 years.
They call for my stepmom because I called them from my land line to stop
payment on a check they tricked her into sending. They would only return
the money after an early termination fee of about $200.00.

They have called 3-4 times a week since with no let up and always a spoofed number.
I used to answer and explain circumstances, then my stepmom died 2 years ago and that was
not good enough.

I got so aggravated a few years ago and cussed the guy out and called him a sorry a**hole.
He called right back and said "so I,m an a**hole, huh?"

I have since totally ignore them. Blocking numbers does not help, as they just spoof another.

#12 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:24 PM

As someone who works in the I.T. business this is very tough to enforce as much of it happens outside our borders.
What does happen inside the U.S. oh, they need to slam and make an example of them.

For foreign countries, simple, trade sanctions if they don't start taking steps. I won't go into technical details as that's debate in and by itself, but ISP's in particular can block these S.O.B.'s and do, but that needs to start as close to the source to really be effective.

Oki

#13 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:27 PM

View PostBootsieBets, on 10 October 2018 - 01:06 PM, said:

That's my rule too. If I don't know the number and they don't leave a vmail, then I don't know them and don't need to worry about the call. I know that can be hard, especially if you are the curious sort.

My now ex-wife would answer every single call regardless of what the number was, even after I explained to her that answering the robocalls will get you added to even more call lists. In addition, if she couldn't answer a call when it first rang through, AND they didn't leave a message, SHE WOULD CALL THEM BACK AND ASK WHAT THEY WANTED!

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif

#14 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:34 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 10 October 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

My now ex-wife would answer every single call regardless of what the number was, even after I explained to her that answering the robocalls will get you added to even more call lists. In addition, if she couldn't answer a call when it first rang through, AND they didn't leave a message, SHE WOULD CALL THEM BACK AND ASK WHAT THEY WANTED!

Shall we say she had really good manners? :P

I rarely answer my phone even when I know who it is.

#15 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:43 PM

View PostLiz, on 10 October 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

Shall we say she had really good manners? :P

You wouldn't think that if you heard her make one of those callbacks...

"Who is this?! Did you just call me? Why didn't you leave a message?!"

<_<

View PostLiz, on 10 October 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

I rarely answer my phone even when I know who it is.

My work cell phone gets 15-25 robocalls a day now. I *never* answer the phone if I don't have the number programmed and know who it is. Fortunately, I am not in sales and not answering is not an issue.

#16 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:53 PM

I'm all for going back to tradition with these robocall types, crucifixion and impalement. Good enough for the Romans and Ol'Vlad, good enough for me. For out of country ones, stealth bomber strikes work.

I'll often get a phone call on my cell, I ignore it. And immediately after it stops ringing, my wife's cell will ring (we are different by only one number on the end, we're sequential numbers) so it's obvious it's a robo dialer.

#17 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:17 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 10 October 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Earlier today I had a 'vehicle warranty' call...... That call lasted about 20 seconds.... When asked what kind of vehicle I responded in Family Guys Mr. Herberts voice and said it's a really old Popsicle truck that all the boys in the neighborhood just love, I just can't have it breaking down...
Click...

Oki

#18 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

I often answer with "FBI, office of consumer fraud, Agent Weaver speaking, how may I assist you?" One of them kept going on, I finally interrupted her and asked "You know this is not a private residence but the FBI, do you really want to keep talking?" "No" click.

I had a buddy who, when they'd call and ask if the lady of the house was in, would start "crying" and go "No...sniff, she died last week...sniff sniff...and I don't know what to do, I've got these two little kids...they keep asking for mommy and I don't...sniff...know what to say...bawl..." "click"

Or another buddy who would act like he was about a third as smart as Forest Gump. "Hi, we wanted to let you know about..." "I got new shoes right now...you know where I got them" "Er, no, anyway I was saying" "I gots them on my feeet...hahahaha...I gots new shooooes..."

The game is to make them hang up on you but make it take them as long as possible. If you even get a human being, lots of robo calls are stupid recordings.

#19 User is offline   Vandervecken 

• <no title>

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:03 PM

View PostSeverian, on 10 October 2018 - 06:57 PM, said:

I often answer with "FBI, office of consumer fraud, Agent Weaver speaking, how may I assist you?" One of them kept going on, I finally interrupted her and asked "You know this is not a private residence but the FBI, do you really want to keep talking?" "No" click.

I had a buddy who, when they'd call and ask if the lady of the house was in, would start "crying" and go "No...sniff, she died last week...sniff sniff...and I don't know what to do, I've got these two little kids...they keep asking for mommy and I don't...sniff...know what to say...bawl..." "click"

Or another buddy who would act like he was about a third as smart as Forest Gump. "Hi, we wanted to let you know about..." "I got new shoes right now...you know where I got them" "Er, no, anyway I was saying" "I gots them on my feeet...hahahaha...I gots new shooooes..."

The game is to make them hang up on you but make it take them as long as possible. If you even get a human being, lots of robo calls are stupid recordings.

I love the Forest Gump thing.

#20 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:46 PM

My new cell phone, the one I had to buy because the old one had no more memory space in it, has this nifty little feature where I can block any number coming in via phone or text, so if I don't recognize it or the voice mail is one of those computer voices telling me the IRS has issued an arrest warrant, I block them immediately.

That feature alone was worth the expense of the phone...

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users