RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Alex Jones is a narcissist, a witness testifies. And he’s undermining - RightNation.US

Alex Jones is a narcissist, a witness testifies. And he’s undermining Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   lyria 

• Just trying to get through the day without screaming.
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

Some background: Alex Jones (of Infowars fame) and his wife Kelly are divorcing, and they're arguing over custody. (I feel sorry for those kids; divorce is tough enough, but a bitter divorce is awful). Now, I don't really care about this. That's their business, and it shouldn't be news. But here's where it crosses the line to news - Kelly Jones' attorneys have put forth the argument that his show demonstrates how he is an unfit parent. Alex Jones' attorneys have countered with the argument that the person you see on the show isn't the real thing; that he is "a performance artist" who doesn't actually believe the things he says. Now that piques my interest!

But Alex Jones has argued AGAINST his attorneys on this, both on the show and under oath, claiming that he is 100% authentic on the show. And that's what this article is talking about. (Kelly Jones' lawyers also talk about him having narcissistic personality disorder, which honestly I think crosses a line. Of course, Alex Jones' lawyers have said that Kelly Jones is unstable, so clearly this is a trial in which both parents are going to sling a lot of mud.) I'm cutting the parts that are more about the narcissism, and focusing on the "performance artist" bit.

Alex Jones is a narcissist, a witness testifies. And he’s undermining his own attorneys.

By Callum Borchers April 20 at 3:28 PM
Washington Post

<snip>

“He's playing a character,” attorney Randall Wilhite said at a pretrial hearing. “He is a performance artist.”

In court on Tuesday, another attorney, David Minton, described Jones's work as “satire” and “sarcasm.”

The “performance artist” argument seems like a smart one, since outbursts like this probably don't help the good dad image. But the idea that Jones is just “playing a character” could cost him the admiration of an audience that thinks he is the real deal.

That is a price Jones seems unwilling to pay, so he is basically arguing against his own legal team.

After news outlets picked up on Wilhite's remarks, Jones filmed a video on his way to court Monday, in which he said this: “They’ve got articles out today that I say I’m a fake, all of this other crap. Total bull! ... I 110 percent believe what I stand for. We’re changing the world with you.”

<snip>

When Jones finally took the stand Wednesday, he denied playing a character.

And in a second day of testimony Thursday, Jones certainly resembled his on-air persona, if the tweets by reporters covering the proceedings were any indication.

Rest of article

----------------------------

So, does he believe what he says on his show? I think if you're saying it under oath, as opposed to what your lawyers are saying, it's probably true.

#2 User is offline   lyria 

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

I found an opinion column, one that goes into more detail about the "performance artist" aspect. This column was written BEFORE Jones took the stand and testified otherwise. A summary of his testimony can be found on the Source That Cannot Be Named.

Alex Jones should not be taken seriously, according to Alex Jones’s lawyers

By Callum Borchers April 17
Washington Post

When Donald Trump called in to Alex Jones's radio show, during the Republican presidential primary, he told the host known as a leading 9/11 “truther” that his reputation is “amazing.” When Trump accused the media of covering up terrorist attacks, in February, the president appeared to be echoing a conspiracy theory promoted by Jones's website, Infowars.

And when Trump was preparing to deliver his first address to a joint session of Congress, Infowars somehow got a preview of the president's talking points, hours before White House press secretary Sean Spicer shared them in a briefing with reporters.

If Trump buys into what Jones says on the air or publishes on his site, the president is falling for the work of a “performance artist.”

That is how Jones's own attorney described him at a recent pretrial hearing in a child custody case, according to the Austin American-Statesman.

“He's playing a character,” attorney Randall Wilhite said of Jones. “He is a performance artist.”

In court on Tuesday, another attorney, David Minton, described Jones's work as “satire” and “sarcasm,” according to American-Statesman reporter Jonathan Tilove, who tweeted live updates.

These argument — meant to help the Austin-based Jones win custody of his three children — amount to admissions that he does not really believe all the wacky stuff he says.

Rest of column here.

This post has been edited by lyria: 21 April 2017 - 11:32 AM

#3 User is offline   intotheblackhole 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:18 PM

Alex Jokes is just that. He is so far out there he makes Maxine Waters seem reasonable.

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

I don't know about the fitness of his ex-wife, but for peddling the Sandy Hook conspiracy crap he should lose.

#5 User is offline   lyria 

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

View PostLadybird, on 21 April 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

I don't know about the fitness of his ex-wife, but for peddling the Sandy Hook conspiracy crap he should lose.

Well, there's no getting around that I think he's whack-a-doodle. But that isn't really a reason to lose custody of your own children. Nor should the personality disorder prompt it; he'd hardly be the first parent who cares more about himself than his children. Even if he is a bad parent, that doesn't make him an unfit parent.

But, as I said in my first post, this isn't really my business. Whether he gets custody or shares custody or she gets custody, it's no skin off my teeth. What I care much more about is whether he's "playing a part" on his show to get attention and money, or if he really believes the things he says.

#6 User is offline   lyria 

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:38 PM

View Postintotheblackhole, on 21 April 2017 - 12:18 PM, said:

Alex Jokes is just that. He is so far out there he makes Maxine Waters seem reasonable.

Yeah. No question. I used to just ignore it as another crackpot out there on the interwebs just ranting away. My relative with what I think is schizophrenia would talk about it and post clips/articles from Infowars and I'd see stuff from the usual suspects here. But lately I think Infowars and their ilk are being taken more seriously. Certainly, our President has expressed admiration for a man who thinks the moon landings were faked. That makes what Jones peddles more of a concern.

#7 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 12:39 PM

Okay, so he's a narcissist and a "performance artist". What media personality isn't?

Alex Jones is every bit as entertaining as Art Bell. And should be taken just about as seriously, too.

#8 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:04 PM

View PostLadybird, on 21 April 2017 - 12:22 PM, said:

:biglaugh:

Sandy Hook actually was a fraud.

#9 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

View PostRock N, on 21 April 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Good grief..

#10 User is offline   lyria 

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

View PostRock N, on 21 April 2017 - 01:04 PM, said:

Since you are... obviously a fan, I'm curious what you think about the conflicting statements between Alex Jones' lawyers in defense of Alex Jones and Alex Jones himself.

#11 User is offline   lyria 

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:29 PM

View PostAdam Smithee, on 21 April 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

Okay, so he's a narcissist and a "performance artist". What media personality isn't?

Alex Jones is every bit as entertaining as Art Bell. And should be taken just about as seriously, too.

The meaning clear in the lawyer's statements is that the Alex Jones of the radio show isn't the real Alex Jones. I think that's a little beyond the "performance art" of other media personalities.

#12 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:36 PM

Alex Jones argument is no different than the way Barack Obama sold Obamacare. When it was convenient, it wasn't a tax but when he wanted it the other way it was a tax.

In court, he said it was all just performance art.....but on the radio, he said he really believes everything he says.

#13 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:50 PM

View PostAdam Smithee, on 21 April 2017 - 12:39 PM, said:

Not so knowledgeable on Art Bell, but the guy who took his spot George Noory is for the most part down to earth(pun intended due to the show he hosts).
Have heard him say a number of times that the purpose of the show is to give people no matter how unusual there views or beliefs a platform to talk about them. Will admit I read Bell's book, pretty crazy indeed. But yeah, Jones is a showman. He makes a bunch of predictions his faithful hinge on every single word, %99 of it never happens and the %1 which does or kinda does come true is 'proof'. Both sides of the political spectrum have these types, just that some are much better at it then others.

I do agree with him on a couple of things, but, like most there are bound to be things I agree with even people whom I hate or share nothing else in common with. Something about an old P.T. Barnum saying that's popping into my mind.

Oki

#14 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!
  • Group: Gold

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:00 PM

http://s11.postimg.org/yiv1yj0oj/malignant-narcissism-narcissist-obama.jpg

Now this is a narcissist

#15 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

View Postoki, on 21 April 2017 - 01:50 PM, said:

Not so knowledgeable on Art Bell, but the guy who took his spot George Noory is for the most part down to earth(pun intended due to the show he hosts).
Have heard him say a number of times that the purpose of the show is to give people no matter how unusual there views or beliefs a platform to talk about them. Will admit I read Bell's book, pretty crazy indeed. But yeah, Jones is a showman. He makes a bunch of predictions his faithful hinge on every single word, %99 of it never happens and the %1 which does or kinda does come true is 'proof'. Both sides of the political spectrum have these types, just that some are much better at it then others.

I do agree with him on a couple of things, but, like most there are bound to be things I agree with even people whom I hate or share nothing else in common with. Something about an old P.T. Barnum saying that's popping into my mind.

Oki

Bell was down to Earth as well and was an amazing radio personality. I always looked forward to overnight road trips because I'd get hour hours of listening to him.

#16 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

View PostModerator T, on 21 April 2017 - 02:30 PM, said:

Bell was down to Earth as well and was an amazing radio personality. I always looked forward to overnight road trips because I'd get hour hours of listening to him.

Much the same here, there have been a number of times where the only thing that kept me from going in the ditch or oncoming traffic was Coast to Coast AM. Noory is definitely down to earth as well. Per Jones though, he may be right here and there and I do agree with him on a few things. BUT, he has a history of making claims which have not come true, cannot be proven, and at best the proof is circumstantial or simply convenient. Being correct here and there doesn't make you credible it makes you lucky in the same way that if you throw enough darts even blindfolded sooner or later you will hit the bulls eye.

Oki

#17 User is offline   intotheblackhole 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:24 PM

View Postlyria, on 21 April 2017 - 12:38 PM, said:

Yeah. No question. I used to just ignore it as another crackpot out there on the interwebs just ranting away. My relative with what I think is schizophrenia would talk about it and post clips/articles from Infowars and I'd see stuff from the usual suspects here. But lately I think Infowars and their ilk are being taken more seriously. Certainly, our President has expressed admiration for a man who thinks the moon landings were faked. That makes what Jones peddles more of a concern.

Yeah, I don't like those right-wing fanatics. They make conservatives look bad. I love left-wing fanatics because they make democrats look bad. Oh, and it's so fun to wind democrats up. I love to watch them dance.

#18 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:56 PM

View Postoki, on 21 April 2017 - 02:44 PM, said:

Much the same here, there have been a number of times where the only thing that kept me from going in the ditch or oncoming traffic was Coast to Coast AM. Noory is definitely down to earth as well. Per Jones though, he may be right here and there and I do agree with him on a few things. BUT, he has a history of making claims which have not come true, cannot be proven, and at best the proof is circumstantial or simply convenient. Being correct here and there doesn't make you credible it makes you lucky in the same way that if you throw enough darts even blindfolded sooner or later you will hit the bulls eye.

Oki

That and I think the big difference between Jones and the other two is that Jones seems to take sides. He portrays himself as a true believer whereas the other two simply asked questions and conducted interviews.

I will give Jones credit though: he did apologize for pushing the pizzagate nonsense.

#19 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:51 PM

IF Jones is indeed nothing but a "performance artist" who doesn't really believe all his silly nonsense, it just goes to show how gullible his followers are.

IF, on the other hand, he isn't a "performance artist" and actually believes all his silly nonsense, it doesn't exonerate his gullible followers. It only proves he's just as gullible as they are.

B)

#20 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:57 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 21 April 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

IF Jones is indeed nothing but a "performance artist" who doesn't really believe all his silly nonsense, it just goes to show how gullible his followers are.

IF, on the other hand, he isn't a "performance artist" and actually believes all his silly nonsense, it doesn't exonerate his gullible followers. It only proves he's just as gullible as they are.

B)

I suspect the answer is "both".

I suspect that Alex Jones probably believes a certain portion, and the rest is all 'hype' for the ratings (As is with ANY pundit, up to and including Limbaugh and Hannity)

Is the ratio 5%/95%?

Is it 10%/90%?

Is it 50% / 50%?

I dunno. I wouldn't want to hazard a guess. But probably something like that.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users