RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Judge praises former LDS bishop, while sentencing him for rape, as vic - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Judge praises former LDS bishop, while sentencing him for rape, as vic Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:26 PM

Judge praises former LDS bishop, while sentencing him for rape, as victim listens
by Chris Jones, KUTV
Friday, April 14th 2017

(KUTV) Fourth District Court Judge Thomas Low had glowing praise for a man who was convicted of molesting two female relatives while they stayed at his home three years ago.

"The court had no doubt that Mr. Vallejo is an extraordinarily good man," Low said just moments before sentencing Keith Vallejo to prison for sexually abusing the two females. "But great men, sometimes do bad things," Low continued.
During the sentencing, Low appeared to be emotional as he read the sentence. His praise came as at least one of the victims, Julia Kirby, sat in the court room.

"For him to say that in a court room in front the victim who was abused and raped by this man, that he is a great person, to me was unacceptable and unprofessional," she told 2News by phone.

Turner Bitton, with The Utah Coalition Against Sexual Assault, said when a person in a position like Low's praises the predator, he essentially blames the victim.

"At the end of the day, we're still going to tell you that your perpetrator was a good person, they made mistake and somehow it was still your responsibility," Bitton said.

Vallejo, who maintained his innocence throughout the trial, was convicted in February of one first-degree felony of object rape and 10 second-degree felonies of forcible sexual abuse.

For the object rape conviction, Vallejo was given a sentence of five-years-to-life. He was also given concurrent one-to-15 year sentences for all 10 forcible sexual abuse convictions.

<snip>

Link

#2 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:45 PM

I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon.) I am LDS, and this just appalls me. No matter how much "noble" work a person has done in this situation, it doesn't make him "great." It means he hid evil well. It means he was a hypocrite. And I feel sorry for the victims. I can't imagine hearing glowing adulation about a person who had wronged me.

Sadly, there are people who pretend to be pious, when they are not. And past "great" actions are as meaningful as dust when your past evil actions are brought to life.

Stupid Judge.

#3 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 21 April 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon.) I am LDS, and this just appalls me. No matter how much "noble" work a person has done in this situation, it doesn't make him "great." It means he hid evil well. It means he was a hypocrite. And I feel sorry for the victims. I can't imagine hearing glowing adulation about a person who had wronged me.

Sadly, there are people who pretend to be pious, when they are not. And past "great" actions are as meaningful as dust when your past evil actions are brought to life.

Stupid Judge.

I don't think this any reflection on the church or its members. This guy is a low life and the judge is an idiot. I think it's more of a reflection of the justice systems treatment of sex offenses as a less than serious crimes.

#4 User is offline   intotheblackhole 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:29 PM

Hitler was a pretty good man. He unified Germany, help bring them out of the great depression, built up their military forces to where it was some of the best equipped and best trained in the world, developed some of the most advanced technology for the time, and he loved his dog. He just did a few bad things here and there.

:thumbsdown:

#5 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:31 PM

View PostLadybird, on 21 April 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

I don't think this any reflection on the church or its members. This guy is a low life and the judge is an idiot. I think it's more of a reflection of the justice systems treatment of sex offenses as a less than serious crimes.

I agree.

#6 User is offline   SARGE 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:36 PM

Neither do I.

It's, as you said, an indictment of our 'legal system'.

Justice doesn't even enter into the equation.

#7 User is offline   notquiteright 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:07 AM

I don't either, but it hasn't been applied that way in the past to priests.

#8 User is offline   AnnieGotHerGun 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:50 AM

I think the way Molly put it says it all - he hid evil well. One doesn't just wake up one morning and poof! You're now a pedophile, you're now a rapist. Evil thoughts precede evil deeds.

#9 User is offline   pict 

• If you expect a PC response, forget it!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 22 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

View Postnotquiteright, on 22 April 2017 - 07:07 AM, said:

I don't either, but it hasn't been applied that way in the past to priests.
Oh, I was wondering when the anti-Catholic bigots would spout on this thread.

Congratulations, you win the bigot first prize.

#10 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:52 AM

View Postpict, on 22 April 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

Oh, I was wondering when the anti-Catholic bigots would spout on this thread.

Congratulations, you win the bigot first prize.

Maybe I'm reading his comment wrong, but it didn't seem anti-Catholic to me.

In any case, as with this rapist fella, you will have a percentage of miscreants and general <censored>-heels in any group. However the way the Catholic church responded to the few outliers among its members was inappropriate and needed a light shined on it, so it would change.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 22 April 2017 - 10:55 AM

#11 User is offline   pict 

• If you expect a PC response, forget it!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 22 April 2017 - 02:24 PM

name='Ladybird' timestamp='1492876371' post='685423314'
Maybe I'm reading his comment wrong, but it didn't seem anti-Catholic to me.
Of course you didn't read the comment that way, I wouldn't expect anything else from the likes of you.

In any case, as with this rapist fella, you will have a percentage of miscreants and general <censored>-heels in any group. However the way the Catholic church responded to the few outliers among its members was inappropriate and needed a light shined on it, so it would change.
And now you too, have changed the focus of this thread onto the Catholics. Congratulations, you get the second prize for being a bigot.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users