RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Gorsuch Casts First Major Tie-Breaking Vote Allowing Arkansas - RightNation.US

Gorsuch Casts First Major Tie-Breaking Vote Allowing Arkansas Executions To Proceed Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• ~***~
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:29 PM

Gorsuch Casts First Major Tie-Breaking Vote Allowing Arkansas Executions To Proceed

Zero Hedge
by Tyler Durden
Apr 21, 2017 9:02 AM

Excerpt:

In what will undoubtedly be a memorable first major tie-breaking vote as a Supreme Court Judge, Neil Gorsuch cast the deciding vote last night to allow Arkansas to begin executing a group of 8 death-row inmates. The decision came after attorneys for the State of Arkansas sought an expedited process to allow for the executions to proceed before their lethal-injection drugs expire at the end of April. Per Bloomberg:

In a series of orders Thursday night, the high court cleared the state to execute Ledell Lee, one of eight convicted murderers that Arkansas has been trying to put to death before one of its lethal-injection drugs expires at the end of the month. Associated Press later reported the execution had been carried out.

“Apparently the reason the state decided to proceed with these eight executions is that the ‘use by’ date of the state’s execution drug is about to expire," Breyer wrote. "That factor, when considered as a determining factor separating those who live from those who die, is close to random."

Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan also voted to block the executions.

*snip*

The Rest

#2 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

Liz, on 21 April 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

Gorsuch Casts First Major Tie-Breaking Vote Allowing Arkansas Executions To Proceed

Zero Hedge
by Tyler Durden
Apr 21, 2017 9:02 AM

Excerpt:

In what will undoubtedly be a memorable first major tie-breaking vote as a Supreme Court Judge, Neil Gorsuch cast the deciding vote last night to allow Arkansas to begin executing a group of 8 death-row inmates. The decision came after attorneys for the State of Arkansas sought an expedited process to allow for the executions to proceed before their lethal-injection drugs expire at the end of April. Per Bloomberg:

In a series of orders Thursday night, the high court cleared the state to execute Ledell Lee, one of eight convicted murderers that Arkansas has been trying to put to death before one of its lethal-injection drugs expires at the end of the month. Associated Press later reported the execution had been carried out.

“Apparently the reason the state decided to proceed with these eight executions is that the ‘use by’ date of the state’s execution drug is about to expire," Breyer wrote. "That factor, when considered as a determining factor separating those who live from those who die, is close to random."

Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan also voted to block the executions.

*snip*

The Rest

Breyer's wording is disappointingly inaccurate for a sc justice.

The expiration date isn't arbitrarily used as a determining factor to separate those who'll live from those who'll die.

The expiration date is a determining factor in the timing of executions that would happen at some point anyway.

#3 User is offline   That_Guy 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

Gorsuch is already coming through for the "pro-life" crowd.

#4 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:22 PM

That_Guy, on 21 April 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

I thought you'd say Gorsuch is for late term abortion!

#5 User is offline   TNCAVSCOUT 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:35 PM

Good decision Justice Gorsuch!

#6 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 21 April 2017 - 03:53 PM

View PostThat_Guy, on 21 April 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

Because executing someone for just cause and slaughtering a baby before they have literally done a single thing wrong is totally the same thing. And before you start, I'm not a big supporter of the death penalty either, but I can see a distinct difference between the two.

#7 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:01 PM

I am pro life, this man was convicted of taking the life of another and in return for that theft he was determined by a court of his peers to die. So the circle of life has been fulfilled. He had his shot at a good life, he instead chose to deny others their rights to theirs.

So have a nice weekend.

#8 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:09 PM

No. Gorsuch is already coming through for the State's Rights crowd.

#9 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:41 PM

LOL

You just can't help yourself, can you? You feel irresistibly compelled to jump on every opportunity to prove yourself incapable of logical thought.

Anyway, back to the subject at hand: Well done, Justice Gorsuch!

:thumbsup:

#10 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:44 PM

Got that right! By allowing Arkansas to eliminate a known cause of death in their state, the danger to others in the prison has been reduced.

#11 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

Now the State of Arkansas needs to step it up there's 7 more waiting in the wings

#12 User is online   ilja 

• Go ahead, read my mind!!!
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:53 PM

Nice start. If the victim had been my daughter, I would want justice.

#13 User is offline   Adam Smithee 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:05 PM

View Postzurg, on 21 April 2017 - 03:04 PM, said:

Breyer's wording is disappointingly inaccurate for a sc justice.

The expiration date isn't arbitrarily used as a determining factor to separate those who'll live from those who'll die.

The expiration date is a determining factor in the timing of executions that would happen at some point anyway.

I think that's what AL was worried about. Isn't this another of those cases where, once this batch 'expires', they simply won't have the (approved) drugs available to do lethal injections? Thus costing an additional $90K/year to keep each death-row warehoused.

From 2016: As another drug becomes unavailable, execution by lethal injection in Arizona remains uncertain

Even more grim, Feb 2017: Council of State Governments: Lethal Injection Drug Shortage:

"Texas has 317 inmates on death row, but only enough of a key lethal injection drug to execute two of them.
Ohio has just one dose of the drug left."

But, Never Fear. Being the problem-solving civic-minded person I am, I have a solution at hand. Just bring back Firing Squads. Won't cost any taxpayer money: I will draw out of the Smithee Arsenal and personally spot the states of FL and GA one bullet for every death row inmate. Heck, make it TWO, just to be sure. And just to be neighborly, I'll cover next-door AL as well.

If they need guns, I'll loan them some M1 Carbines. I want them back, though: just imagine what a rifle used in a death row execution could fetch on Ebay.

#14 User is offline   Adam Smithee 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:16 PM

View PostLiz, on 21 April 2017 - 02:29 PM, said:

And, well, someone's gotta say it, so *I* will:

Nevermind the drug. HAVE THEY considered that the prisoner himself, by virtue of the death sentence and the interminable appeals, is ALREADY well past HIS OWN expiration date???

#15 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 21 April 2017 - 06:05 PM

That_Guy, on 21 April 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

Yup! Eat your heart out, troll!!

#16 User is online   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted Yesterday, 01:43 PM

View PostModerator T, on 21 April 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

Because executing someone for just cause and slaughtering a baby before they have literally done a single thing wrong is totally the same thing. And before you start, I'm not a big supporter of the death penalty either, but I can see a distinct difference between the two.

If you look at how many criminals are in prison for a second (or even third) murder, I would say the death penalty is a big solution. However, I think the death penalty takes way too long and needs to be shortened so it has more of a deterrent effect.

#17 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted Yesterday, 02:28 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 23 April 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

If you look at how many criminals are in prison for a second (or even third) murder, I would say the death penalty is a big solution. However, I think the death penalty takes way too long and needs to be shortened so it has more of a deterrent effect.

The way I look at it, if you go to prison and are still killing, or if you've killed again after getting out, or if you've committed treason, its time to die. Beyond that the Catholic in me wants to hope for some sort of reformation even if I've rarely seen evidence of it. Plus, our justice system isn't perfect and the wrong person does sometimes get convicted, and you can't undo an execution. I don't however believe it is remotely successful as a deterrent, only as a means of punishment/protection of society.

#18 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted Yesterday, 03:07 PM

View PostModerator T, on 23 April 2017 - 02:28 PM, said:

I don't however believe it is remotely successful as a deterrent, only as a means of punishment/protection of society.

I am living proof that it works as a deterrent. There are several people I would gladly kill (AND THEY DESERVE IT), if it weren't for the fact that I'm unwilling to sacrifice my own life to end theirs.

B)

#19 User is offline   That_Guy 

• <no title>

Posted Yesterday, 03:22 PM

The problem with state-sanctioned killing is the lack of a margin for error.

#20 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted Yesterday, 03:25 PM

View PostThat_Guy, on 23 April 2017 - 03:22 PM, said:

The problem with state-sanctioned killing is the lack of a margin for error.

No margin for error in killing babies though. At least we have that.

One of the many reasons it's impossible to take you seriously.

This post has been edited by Magic Rat: Yesterday, 03:26 PM

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users