RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Has Fox News Moved To The Dark Side? - RightNation.US

Jump to content

-----
I mentioned in another thread that I had noticed Fox News seems to have changed lately to the point where they are over-compensating in their desire to appear more moderate. I have gotten to the point in particular in the last few days where I can hardly stand to watch it anymore because it does nothing but depress me with it's constant drumbeat of the Presidential Race being all but over.

One other poster agreed with me that she and her husband had noticed this also. It got me to wondering if we were the only ones or if any of you had noticed a shift in how Fox News reports the news lately?

Yes, I realize that they probably started out really conservative-sounding in order to be a stark contrast to the other news stations so they would be noticed. And believe it or not to those of you on the left, I do prefer that Fox does show both sides of an issue because I do like to hear all the viewpoints and not just the ones with which I agree.

In my opinion, Bill O'Reilly went over the cliff a couple of years ago when he had a guest on his show who was a Bible-believing Christian that dared to say he thought homosexuality was a sin. Bill did his best to make him look like a fool. Instead, that was when I quit making "The O'Reilly Factor" must-see TV. Then of course, there was my email that he totally destroyed in his edit of it to the point where he changed what I was trying to communicate to mean exactly the opposite.

Next, I noticed during the illegal immigration debates, how Fox News and many whom I had particularly admired did their best to misrepresent those of us who believed in enforcing the laws and protecting our borders. Contrary to popular belief or shall I say to how it was reported, those who are against giving amnesty to illegal immigrants are not just those of us on the far-right. Nearly all of my relatives believe the same thing and most of them usually vote Democrat. I've noticed the same sentiments from nearly everyone I've talked to about the issue no matter where they land on the political scale.

Then there was the way they treated Fred Thompson in his short run for the Presidency. Yes, I can see where I had bias of my own on this particular issue but it was another turning point for me.

And now, here we are less than 48 hours to the Presidential election and I can only take about twenty minutes of Fox News without having to change the channel just so I don't start crying over the thought of a Democrat-Trifecta of Obama, Pelosi and Reid.

Is it just me? Is Fox merely just reporting the news and since I want John McCain to win the Presidency so badly (I never thought I'd actually feel this way so strongly about him), I'm being uber-sensitive?

Or has Fox News changed? Has Fox News lost it's soul? Have they gone to the Dark Side or at least have they done more than just dip their toes in the dirty water of the far left? Have they started feeling that thrill up their legs?

To borrow a line from ole' Bill, what say you?

Elusively yours,
ilja
0
  Like

20 Comments On This Entry

I thought I was going crazy. It's not you. It's 80 percent Nobama coverage (75% postive) and 20% McCain IMHO. They are giving much more airtime to Nobama than McCain, and I too think it's nauseating.
0
I don't think they went to the dark side, they are just hedging their bets in case Obama wins so at least some Dem may appear as a guest on their shows. The way Obama works is if you say anything against them he throws you under the bus and Fox is simply making a business decision to avoid or at least lessen that chance,
0

Coulterin08, on Nov 2 2008, 07:32 PM, said:

I thought I was going crazy. It's not you. It's 80 percent Nobama coverage (75% postive) and 20% McCain IMHO. They are giving much more airtime to Nobama than McCain, and I too think it's nauseating.

Thanks. At least now I know there are four of us. :lol:
0

bearded old man, on Nov 2 2008, 07:32 PM, said:

I don't think they went to the dark side, they are just hedging their bets in case Obama wins so at least some Dem may appear as a guest on their shows. The way Obama works is if you say anything against them he throws you under the bus and Fox is simply making a business decision to avoid or at least lessen that chance,

You're probably right. Or maybe I should say, I hope you are right. Still, it's a shame they could be influencing the election this way. http://i147.photobuc.../sadsadsigh.gif
0
No.

Fred Thompson was running? :lol:
0
Sadly I think it just comes down to the fact that all indicators are pointing to an Obama win. He's run a good campaign, one that was able to quickly overcome Obama's inadvertent slips where he said what he actually thought. McCain meanwhile has run a horrible campaign. He went bankrupt what, three times? He's fired his whole staff at least once. He goes to one campaign rally to say Obama's a socialist only to give an interview later that day to say he isn't. He spends more time praising Obama than he ever has any conservative.

At some point even FNC has to report the news as it is. Some call it defeatism some call it become uber liberal. I just see it as reality. FWIW though we had several posters in the leadup to the 2006 midterm elections saying that FNC had become a liberal mouthpiece because they dared to say that the Dems were going to win a majority in at least one of the two houses of congress. Many scoffed here at the notion. A few even predicted the Republicans would gain seats. In the end, FNC was right and hte Dems too power.

If you're still unsure, in the afternoon during the heavy news portions of the day watch both FNC and CNN, alternating ever 30 mins. Come dinner time switch between Hume and CBS/NBC/or CBS. You'll see a hell of a difference. Wright/Ayres/Rezko/all the other bastard friends Obama has have hardly been mentioned on any of those stations. Also look at the FNC lineup. How can a channel be going liberal while simultaneously giving Sean Hannity his own solo show on the weekend, lure Glenn Beck over for his own show, and sign Mike Huckabee to his own show, or have one of their more solid liberal people become a powerful ally for the Palins?
0
Ilja,

IMHO, Fox hasn't really been fair and balanced in a long time, in that they don't have many people on there that are republicans or democrats. They get the extreme right and the extreme left, all of them with agenda's of their own, who just spit talking points at each other, etc. But Megan has been getting in some good shots lately, as has Shawn.

I have a question along these lines that I'd really like opinions on, but I don't want to start another thread on RN about it. If you don't mind, I'll ask it here in case anyone cares to comment.

If Obama does win, is that effectively the end of the alterative media movement?

I don't mean in the sense of the Fairness Act, I mean more in the sense that this win would energize the MSM since they've proven once and for all that they can effect outcomes. And the Rush's and Shawns of the world would lose credibility in that they can't beat the MSM when it comes to public opinion. I worry this might be the case, and the MSM will turn into a giant propaganda machine, effectively ending conservatism as we know it.
0
I am usually a huge Brit Hume fan, but after he was shut out from moderating he seemed to change. He is constantly acting like it is over and Nobama is going to win. I do not have cable I just have an XM radio and I have it exclusively so that I can listen to Fox and I have been really disappointed. Megyn however is a shining light in the darkness. O'Reilly is an idiot and I never listen to him anymore. Hopefully if Obama loses they will go back to the way it used to be. They do not like being shut out of things is what I am gathering.
0

Jamescush, on Nov 2 2008, 07:38 PM, said:

No.

Fred Thompson was running? :D

:D

http://i147.photobuc...lies/wedgie.gif


:lol:
0
Barack Obama's Unlikely Supporter: Rupert 'Fox News' Murdoch
Posted May 29, 2008 12:34pm EDT by Sarah Lacy in Investing, Internet, Media, Newsmakers, Venture Capital, M and A, IPOs
Related: nws, msft, yhoo, nyt
Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg had a long day of grilling executives at their All Things Digital Conference. But they saved Rupert Murdoch -- their Wall Street Journal overlord -- for last. The highlight? Murdoch’s not-quite-but-almost endorsement of Barack Obama for president.

The founder -- and defender -- of Fox News said he expected Obama to win in a landslide, citing widespread unhappiness with the current administration and his disenchantment with Republican contender John McCain. Murdoch added that after a long career in the Senate, McCain had been forced to compromise too much and doesn’t stand for much. Murdoch even nonchalantly owned up to influencing the New York Post to back Obama in the New York primary.

During the Q&A, I pressed Murdoch -- a new U.S. citizen -- on whether he would actually vote for Obama in November. He said he was leaning toward it, but would know in the next six months. When I asked if I could call him, he said yes, then joked I could probably just figure it out from reading the Post.

I also asked Murdoch about reports that he said he would buy the New York Times if he had the opportunity, just to shut it down. He said he was kidding, but likely Times staffers in the audience shuddered.

I caught up with Kara of the WSJ and All Things D once they got offstage to discuss her newfound admiration for the outspoken mogul -- not to mention Alaskan elk.
0

Blaster Commando, on Nov 2 2008, 07:41 PM, said:

Sadly I think it just comes down to the fact that all indicators are pointing to an Obama win. He's run a good campaign, one that was able to quickly overcome Obama's inadvertent slips where he said what he actually thought. McCain meanwhile has run a horrible campaign. He went bankrupt what, three times? He's fired his whole staff at least once. He goes to one campaign rally to say Obama's a socialist only to give an interview later that day to say he isn't. He spends more time praising Obama than he ever has any conservative.

At some point even FNC has to report the news as it is. Some call it defeatism some call it become uber liberal. I just see it as reality. FWIW though we had several posters in the leadup to the 2006 midterm elections saying that FNC had become a liberal mouthpiece because they dared to say that the Dems were going to win a majority in at least one of the two houses of congress. Many scoffed here at the notion. A few even predicted the Republicans would gain seats. In the end, FNC was right and hte Dems too power.

If you're still unsure, in the afternoon during the heavy news portions of the day watch both FNC and CNN, alternating ever 30 mins. Come dinner time switch between Hume and CBS/NBC/or CBS. You'll see a hell of a difference. Wright/Ayres/Rezko/all the other bastard friends Obama has have hardly been mentioned on any of those stations. Also look at the FNC lineup. How can a channel be going liberal while simultaneously giving Sean Hannity his own solo show on the weekend, lure Glenn Beck over for his own show, and sign Mike Huckabee to his own show, or have one of their more solid liberal people become a powerful ally for the Palins?

Wow, you make some good points, especially your last one. I guess I really do need to watch the other channels sometimes so I can be reminded of what else it out there.

I just hope like crazy you are wrong about the reality being that Obama's going to win. I know he has run a good campaign but then again he's had the MSM in his back pocket. It's such a scary thought to think about a President Obama.

Also, I don't seem to remember Fox being so negative in 2000 or 2004 and wasn't Bush behind in the polls at the end?
0
I would tend to agree with the "Fox is hedging their bets" argument. And let's not ignore the fact that they are definitely still Fox News. They even let Hannity devote an entire show to a Top 10 Countdown of reasons you shouldn't vote for Obama.

As to the concern that an Obama win would destroy the alternative media movement, I'm thinking it will do quite the opposite - just like the Clinton years gave rise to Rush and culminated in Bush's first election. Consider also the backlash which has already begun against the MSM for their embarrassing and obvious bias in this election. (Evidence of this backlash: the Olbermann sketch on SNL; Tito the Construction Worker coming out to protest not against Obama, but against the media; the e-mails I've started receiving from friends, encouraging me to boycott everyone who buys advertising in the LA Times, etc.) Just like the Left didn't magically disappear during the Bush years, the Right is not going to blend into the background when Obama starts signing the Freedom of Choice Act and taxing the crap out of guns and ammunition. Where I live, he has only served to radicalize people's devotion to these issues.

The real difficulty the Right faces in the event of a Nobama election is not obscurity, but the difficulty of learning to adopt some of the tactics so frequently used by the Left. Think pickets, marches, etc. (I felt so sorry for the crowd outside the LA Times chanting "LA Times. Release the tape!" It's obvious that most on the Right aren't very adept at chanting phrases over and over again. hehe)

On a related note: I'm just curious about how long it might take Obama to start creating his own Beethovens. "Beethoven" is a phrase I've started using to describe all of my friends who've turned against The One in this election. I'm basing the term on good ole Ludwig van Beethoven who sang the praises of the "great liberator" Napoleon, only to discover, much to his disgust, that Napoleon was just a new version of the old regime. When it becomes apparent that Obama can't turn water into wine, deliver on his inane promises, speak eloquently without a teleprompter, bowl, make change for a dollar, or put a muzzle on Michelle, they'll start to eat their own once again. We must be unrelenting in calling attention to his every misstep.
0
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression that O'Reilly was MORE than just a talking head, that he was also fairly high up in Fox News management, just a step or two below chairman Roger Ailes. That could explain their "moderate" leanings. Plus, Ailes himself is less conservative than he used to be and was a Giuliani supporter.
0

Doc, on Nov 2 2008, 07:47 PM, said:

Ilja,

IMHO, Fox hasn't really been fair and balanced in a long time, in that they don't have many people on there that are republicans or democrats. They get the extreme right and the extreme left, all of them with agenda's of their own, who just spit talking points at each other, etc. But Megan has been getting in some good shots lately, as has Shawn.

I have a question along these lines that I'd really like opinions on, but I don't want to start another thread on RN about it. If you don't mind, I'll ask it here in case anyone cares to comment.

If Obama does win, is that effectively the end of the alterative media movement?

I don't mean in the sense of the Fairness Act, I mean more in the sense that this win would energize the MSM since they've proven once and for all that they can effect outcomes. And the Rush's and Shawns of the world would lose credibility in that they can't beat the MSM when it comes to public opinion. I worry this might be the case, and the MSM will turn into a giant propaganda machine, effectively ending conservatism as we know it.

Hey Doc, :lol:

I have got to start looking out for this Megan the way everyone keeps praising her. I do believe I saw a clip or two of her recently not letting the person she was interviewing get away with their spin.

I don't mind you asking your question at all since it is somewhat related to the topic at hand. I do not believe if Obama wins that it will be the end of the alternative media. If anything, it will just get more interesting since they will be the only ones with the CaJones to question the Messiah in chief. Not only that, it will be the alternative media that will be the watchdogs of those who are suppose to be the watchdogs.

What is it Rush says? (I believe it's Rush) Sometimes the pendulum swings to the right and sometimes it swings to the left. We can't win them all. Not to say I have given up yet because I most definitely have not.
0

katnapper, on Nov 2 2008, 07:47 PM, said:

I am usually a huge Brit Hume fan, but after he was shut out from moderating he seemed to change. He is constantly acting like it is over and Nobama is going to win. I do not have cable I just have an XM radio and I have it exclusively so that I can listen to Fox and I have been really disappointed. Megyn however is a shining light in the darkness. O'Reilly is an idiot and I never listen to him anymore. Hopefully if Obama loses they will go back to the way it used to be. They do not like being shut out of things is what I am gathering.

Britt Hume is the one who has disappointed me the most. I did hear that he is retiring though and I will miss him if he does.
0
Yes, Brit is retiring after the election since he's 65 and ready to go, but he'll stay on as an analyst here and there. This is still the only network that gives conservatives a voice and treats them with respect when interviewing them. I can't watch network news or other cable news channels. Charles Gibson looking down his nose in such a demeaning manner to Sarah Palin threw me right over the edge. He would have never had that superior look during an interview with Joe Biden. Arghhhhhh. And they wonder why their viewership is dropping? People are smarter than that.
0

Doc, on Nov 2 2008, 06:47 PM, said:

If Obama does win, is that effectively the end of the alterative media movement?

I don't mean in the sense of the Fairness Act, I mean more in the sense that this win would energize the MSM since they've proven once and for all that they can effect outcomes. And the Rush's and Shawns of the world would lose credibility in that they can't beat the MSM when it comes to public opinion. I worry this might be the case, and the MSM will turn into a giant propaganda machine, effectively ending conservatism as we know it.


I think it will do exactly the opposite. For instance, look at Rush Limbaugh. He probably wouldn't be where it is today if it hadn't been for 8 years of Bill Clinton.
0
I didn't take this thread seriously until last night. I was flipping back and forth between Fox, CNN and even (gasp) MSNBC. FOX was faster than the others in calling states for Obama and slower than the others in calling states for McCain. Also, everyone at Fox seemed to be enjoying the "Historic" moment moreso than any objective journalist should. CNN didn't even seem as happy about Obama's victories as Fox did (with the obvious exception of Brit Hume who pretty much ALWAYS looks like someone peed in his cornflakes :lol: .)
0
Greta van Susteren has been busy cheerleading for Sarah Palin and using her show as an infomercial for the McCain campaign - ditto for Fox and Friends and Sean Hannity. Bill O'Reilly is a little more restrained but still makes his pro-McCain bias evident with his spurious argument that Obama is a socialist.

Fox is still a reliably right-wing network.
0

JesseR72, on Nov 5 2008, 07:06 AM, said:

I didn't take this thread seriously until last night. I was flipping back and forth between Fox, CNN and even (gasp) MSNBC. FOX was faster than the others in calling states for Obama and slower than the others in calling states for McCain. Also, everyone at Fox seemed to be enjoying the "Historic" moment moreso than any objective journalist should. CNN didn't even seem as happy about Obama's victories as Fox did (with the obvious exception of Brit Hume who pretty much ALWAYS looks like someone peed in his cornflakes :D .)

See! I told you so! :wave: Just kidding. I couldn't resist the opportunity to say that. I couldn't even watch Fox on election night. I would flip over every now and then like I mostly do lately when wanting to see the score of a football game without letting myself get all emotionally involved because my nerves just can't take it.
0
Page 1 of 1

ilja's Corny Corner

A Doctor, A Lawyer, A Little Boy And A Priest
A doctor, a lawyer, a little boy and a priest were out for a Sunday afternoon flight on a small private plane. Suddenly, the plane developed engine trouble. In spite of the best efforts of the pilot, the plane started to go down. Finally, the pilot grabbed a parachute, yelled to the passengers that they had better jump, and then he bailed out.

Unfortunately, there were only three parachutes remaining. The doctor grabbed one and said "I'm a doctor, I save lives, so I must live," and jumped out.

The lawyer then said, "I'm a lawyer and lawyers are the smartest people in the world. I deserve to live." He also grabbed a parachute and jumped.

The priest looked at the little boy and said, "My son, I've lived a long and full life. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Take the last parachute and live in peace."

The little boy handed the parachute back to the priest and said, "Not to worry, Father. The 'smartest man in the world' just took off with my back pack."

link

3 user(s) viewing

3 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

ilja's Favorite RightNation Quotes

View Postspt, on 03 May 2011 - 05:32 PM, said:

I think maybe we should all go for a drink and ask for the new drink....it is called the Bin Laden...2 shots and a splash of water :drinkers: :drinkers:
http://i147.photobuc.../lmaosmiley.gif

View PostBrian Fellow, on 15 December 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Sorry was busy reading a tweet from an adamant 'pro-choice' person about gun control and 'how many children have to die before we do something'?

http://i147.photobuc...%202/anj_up.gif A perfect example of both irony and hypocrisy.

Quote

John Mauldin relates the details of a conversation he had with John Boehner, the Speaker of the House of Representatives.

At the :50 Maudlin describes Boehner telling him that Obama has,
“…balls made out of marshmallows…”

View PostSonofThunder, on 26 February 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

If that is true, why do we see Boehner continually backing down and rolling over while Obama stands firm and never compromises?

View PostGertie Keddle, on 26 February 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

'Cause he's a Campfire Girl?
http://i147.photobuc...06/kneeslap.gif

NEVER FORGET!

Staff Sgt. Matt Maupin’s long road home ended Saturday in a blaze of yellow ribbons, the silent tribute of people who lined the roads, and the respect of thousands more who filed past his coffin at a public visitation . . . “If four people showed up, that’s OK with me,” said Keith Maupin, the soldier’s father, as he took a mid-afternoon break outside the Civic Center, where many came up to him to shake his hand or give him a hug . . . Matt Maupin became the face of the war in Iraq for thousands here and across the country in April 2004, when an Arab TV station aired a tape showing the Union Township soldier kneeling and surrounded by masked men carrying automatic rifles . . .Four years and millions of prayers later, a tip from an Iraqi citizen led U.S. soldiers to the farm area northwest of Baghdad where Matt Maupin’s remains were found on March 20 . . .Scoutmaster David Bacon said the boys of Troop 511 had been well aware of the story of Matt Maupin and wanted to pay their own tribute.“I’ve talked to them many times about Matt,” said Bacon, whose cousin, Lance Cpl. David Kreuter, was killed in Iraq in 2005. “They understand it was the sacrifice of young men like Matt that gives us the freedom to meet every Monday night. There are places in the world where Boy Scouting is not allowed.” http://i147.photobuc.../3yqo3h0.gifPFC Keith Matthew MaupinCaptured in IraqApril 9, 2004

We Owe Them So Much

http://i147.photobuc.../troopsspin.gifNever Mind the Cost by c.m.steppe ©2001 There's a young man far from home, Called in time of war; Sent to defend our freedom On some distant foreign shore. On some distant foreign shore. We pray You keep him safe, We pray You keep him strong, We pray You send him safely home ... For he's been away so long. For he's been away so long. There's a young woman far from home, Serving U.S.A. with pride. Her every step is strong and sure, Courage in every stride. Courage in every stride. We pray You keep her safe, We pray You keep her strong, We pray You send her safely home ... For she's been away too long. For she's been away too long. Bless those who wait their safe return. Bless those who mourn the lost. Bless those who serve this country well, Never mind the cost. Never mind the cost. God, Bless America!

Recent Entries

Disclaimer

Search My Blog

An Email From God?

I got this in an email today and though it doesn't say who wrote it, I don't doubt these things could have happened.'MEET ME IN THE STAIRWELL' You say you will never forget where you were when you heard the news On September 11, 2001. Neither will I. I was on the 110th floor in a smoke filled room with a man who called his wife to say 'Good-Bye.' I held his fingers steady as he dialed. I gave him the peace to say, 'Honey, I am not going to make it, but it is OK..I am ready to go.' I was with his wife when he called as she fed breakfast to their children. I held her up as she tried to understand his words and as she realized he wasn't coming home that night. I was in the stairwell of the 23rd floor when a woman cried out to Me for help. 'I have been knocking on the door of your heart for 50 years!' I said. 'Of course I will show you the way home - only believe in Me now.' I was at the base of the building with the Priest ministering to the injured and devastated souls. I took him home to tend to his Flock in Heaven. He heard my voice and answered. I was on all four of those planes, in every seat, with every prayer. I was with the crew as they were overtaken. I was in the very hearts of the believers there, comforting and assuring them that their faith has saved them. I was in Texas , Virginia , California , Michigan , Afghanistan ... I was standing next to you when you heard the terrible news. Did you sense Me? I want you to know that I saw every face. I knew every name - though not all know Me. Some met Me for the first time on the 86th floor. Some sought Me with their last breath. Some couldn't hear Me calling to them through the smoke and flames; 'Come to Me... this way... take my hand.' Some chose, for the final time, to ignore Me. But, I was there. I did not place you in the Tower that day. You may not know why, but I do. However, if you were there in that explosive moment in time, would you have reached for Me? Sept. 11, 2001, was not the end of the journey for you. But someday your journey will end. And I will be there for you as well. Seek Me now while I may be found. Then, at any moment, you know you are 'ready to go.' I will be in the stairwell of your final moments. God http://i147.photobuc...3/knowjesus.gif