RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Was Obama's Win God's Will? - RightNation.US

-----

Was Obama's Win God's Will?

Is the election of Baroque Obama as our next President God's will? Is there a reason that Obama won at this time? Do you believe that this was all in God's plans? I noticed a few posts in one of the Obama threads that got me to wondering if indeed this was the will of God or are we getting what we deserved and God is giving us over to our desires?

I would make these assertions myself but they have already been made much better than I could have, so I've quoted them to help get this discussion off the ground. With special thanks to Faux_pax, Amazer and Blank, please see their words below.

View Postfaux_pax, on Nov 5 2008, 10:37 PM, said:

Guys and Gals- I have been absent from the RN for a stint...

Last night I was teary eyed when I learned the news... my wife celebrated her birthday, and yet, I was suddenly depressed... My wife is a beautiful person and occasionally slaps me with a morality check... not often, but on the right occasion. Last night, my wife let me in on a secret which we all can learn from. Something which rocked my world! No matter the outcome... it was, in FACT, God's will. So what, then, do we do?

No matter the reprecussions...we of faith, must stand strong and KNOW that God has blessed America...even if we disagree. God acts in Love as well as anger... so what are we gonna do about it?

I- personally, will be making sure I am right with my Lord and Savior...not in fear of the worst...but, listening to the feeling in my gut. Some things aren't meant to be the END...rather, a new beginning.

Pray for the correctness of our new President- pray for Mother America! God is with us... even when we disagree with Him.

He is speaking... who is listening? link

I am trying to listen but I don't hear. I do know that I asked God who was going to win and he did not answer. Of course, I didn't listen very long so I probably gave up too soon.

View PostAmazer, on Nov 5 2008, 11:27 PM, said:

I'm curious how you can be so certain that the presidency of Obama is not in fact God's will. Did the great man tell you this in person? Unless that's the case, you are as much in the dark about God's plan as the rest of us. link

Do you not believe that God still speaks to His people? Do you not believe that God's people are filled with His Holy Spirit and that one can discern God's voice if one really and truly listens?

View Postblank, on Nov 5 2008, 11:34 PM, said:

Although, God has stated that it is not his will that any perish but all come to repentance and everlasting life, which obviously is not happening. Apparently, some things happen that are against God's will, just like I doubt that God wants a man who promotes killing babies to get into power and thus help kill more babies. JMO. link

But what about Saul/Paul? Wasn't he much worse than Obama before his conversion? Aren't there other examples of kings in the Bible that turned to God after they were made king? I don't know, I can't think of any off hand but I was just wondering.

Here is the quote that I think of when it comes to the President. As a matter of fact, I never really prayed for Clinton but I wasn't walking with God back then so I have often wondered how diligent I would be in praying for a President that I did not respect. I know I am suppose to.

I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men; For kings, and for all that are in authority; that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour; Who will have all men to be saved, and to come unto the knowledge of the truth. 1 Timothy 2:1-4 KJV

Okay, I can see praying for Obama and even making intercessions for him but surely this verse is not saying that we should give thanks for Obama, is it? This is saying to give thanks to God after praying, isn't it?

There is a part of me that truly believes that it was God's will for Obama to win the Presidency. There is even a part of me that is really glad McCain did not win as I did not want the Republican Party to have even greater incentives to move to the left.

But as Blank mentioned above, would God really want a man who supported infanticide to be our next President? Or should I remind myself that we are all sinners and fall short of the Glory of God?

Elusively yours,
ilja

24 Comments On This Entry

G-D must have a really weird sense of humor.
Hasn't it often been said that God loved us so much that he left us with our own free-will to screw things up?

leftcoast, right winger, on Nov 8 2008, 08:53 PM, said:

G-D must have a really weird sense of humor.

I don't know about weird but I know it's rather crazy as He gets my jokes. :rofl:
As the Blogfather would say, God is not omnidirigent (all acting). Things happen that He doesn't want to happen all the time. Do you think He wants you to sin? I don't think so.

The fact that the Illinois State Lottery Pick Three numbers the day after the election were 666 is, I think, a sign from God that it wasn't His idea. :rofl:

(I don't really think that. I don't think, I think)

MrStain, on Nov 8 2008, 09:16 PM, said:

Hasn't it often been said that God loved us so much that he left us with our own free-will to screw things up?

Yes, that's true. But He does answer prayer and I suspect there was a lot of praying going on for both candidates. Do we really know the heart of Obama? Or just how important it was to many of our black brothers and sisters in Christ that Obama won? Perhaps God has another purpose that we cannot see with our sights set so strongly on the Constitution. I'm just thinking out loud.

Mr. Naron, on Nov 8 2008, 09:24 PM, said:

As the Blogfather would say, God is not omnidirigent (all acting). Things happen that He doesn't want to happen all the time. Do you think He wants you to sin? I don't think so.

The fact that the Illinois State Lottery Pick Three numbers the day after the election were 666 is, I think, a sign from God that it wasn't His idea. :rofl:

Yes, I realize that we often do things that God does not want. I was just wondering what if it was God's will? Are you sure it wasn't?

And is that true about the IL lottery?

MrStain, on Nov 8 2008, 10:16 PM, said:

Yes, but some are calvinists who believe that everything is God's will, which they ascribe to his sovereignty. I believe that God, in his sovereign will, decided to give us free will. And before anyone accuses me of being an armenian, I'm not. I'm a Biblicist, and I find that both calvinism and arminianism are flawed when viewed in the full light of the Bible. No, it was not God's will that the pro-infanticide candidate who is an ally of the enemies of Israel get elected. His plan works around it out of necessity, but it was not His will, any more than it is His will that people reject Christ and go to Hell.
Argh, Ilja, you ask tough questions. Sometimes God's will is so clear to me, other times I'm just confused. I don't know if Obama's win was or not. I DO think it's His will for His people to start praying and getting right. If the church isn't in His will how can we expect Him to work anywhere else? I decided I'm going to work on my own house (and by that I mean me). I am going to pray for Obama as fervently as I prayed for every president since I started praying.
I believe that the point blank (dan r) makes is quite valid, so allow me to elucidate upon it. What he is saying is that there is a difference between God's will and His plan. I believe that God adjusts his plans according to our decisions (there's that pesky free-will thing again), just as he adjusted his decision to destroy Nineveh when the people repented. Just because God has somehow allowed for President Elect Barack Obama to be in his plans, does not AT ALL mean that he wanted or willed the baby killer there.

Bekisue, on Nov 8 2008, 09:37 PM, said:

Argh, Ilja, you ask tough questions. Sometimes God's will is so clear to me, other times I'm just confused. I don't know if Obama's win was or not. I DO think it's His will for His people to start praying and getting right. If the church isn't in His will how can we expect Him to work anywhere else? I decided I'm going to work on my own house (and by that I mean me). I am going to pray for Obama as fervently as I prayed for every president since I started praying.

Leave it to Bekisue to point out what really counts. :rofl:

beccar, on Nov 8 2008, 09:46 PM, said:

I believe that the point blank (dan r) makes is quite valid, so allow me to elucidate upon it. What he is saying is that there is a difference between God's will and His plan. I believe that God adjusts his plans according to our decisions (there's that pesky free-will thing again), just as he adjusted his decision to destroy Nineveh when the people repented. Just because God has somehow allowed for President Elect Barack Obama to be in his plans, does not AT ALL mean that he wanted or willed the baby killer there.

Your post reminds me of a Bible verse about God using what man meant for evil for good but I just now tried to find it and could not locate it.

ilja, on Nov 8 2008, 07:26 PM, said:

Mr. Naron, on Nov 8 2008, 09:24 PM, said:

Yes, I realize that we often do things that God does not want. I was just wondering what if it was God's will? Are you sure it wasn't?

And is that true about the IL lottery?

Yes, it's true, whatever it means. Am I sure it wasn't God's will? Hmmm. I don't presume to know. All I can do is ask myself if God wants us to have a president who hides his true identity, votes to allow the widest possible use of abortion and seeks to further limit the freedoms that have made the USA one of the last places on Earth where religious belief is more common than uncommon. Perhaps not, but that means we're being punished.
Was Obama's win g0d's will ? I guess one could say that, ultimately, EVERYTHING that happens is "god's will". But I've never really been satisfied with that sort of triteness myself.

Personally, I tend to view Obama's victory as "god's will" only in the sense that a recalcitrant Israel being stomped into captivity in the OT was also god's will at the time.
Ditto to all that has been posted.

It seems that the question is more about : Does God know what He is doing? I have asked this many times myself.

The Scriptures say that all Authority on earth is given by God. So there is no one who is over us that has not been accounted for by our Lord. He reigns and I must keep my eyes on Him.

Over all.....I am fearful for my country. I am anticipating times of great stress and perhaps despair. This is the wretched nappy sheep me; the one that bolts at the slightest provocation. It is not the sheep that I know I am meant to be.

I have prayed for discernment. And got this word: All the promises made to our fathers will be fulfilled.

I admit, I do not know exactly what this means. I suspect that a reckoning is coming due.

Still there is comfort in this: He has not forsaken us. He is faithful. And He is committed to His Purpose and has placed us in the Palm of His Hand.

If there is anyone, any group that can make a real CHANGE, it us brothers and sisters. Pray without ceasing. Pray for the President of the US, the President Elect and his family. Pray for those who protect them. Pray for many angels to guard and deliver.

the minister's wife
When Moses was away the people told Aaron they wanted a golden calf to worship. And so Aaron made one and they worshiped it. Was it God's will that the people worship a false god? No. But it was in His plan. When Moses came back, he did God's will and destroyed it. Then the children of Israel wandered for 40 years until those who had been defiant and disobedient were dead.

Even though I believe a lazy and sinful electorate has (again) chosen a golden calf, I hope we only wander for four years this time.

Yes, I will pray for Obama. But more difficult than praying for him will be keeping any faith or hope that my prayers will do any good.

But yes, I will try to keep positive. I know that God is over all. I know He loves ALL his children. I know that He has given us free will. And I KNOW that everything will work out according to His plan in the end.
I was not even going to read your blog before I answered but I did anyway. It did not change my mind. I do not believe that the will of God is in any way responsible for what we here on earth do as humans. Humans have choice. If you want to say that God is responsible for Barracks election than you would also have to hold him responsible for the genocides in Darfur, the ethnic cleansing of the Jews during WWII across Europe and all of the other evil things that men do. And I do believe that this election was evil. The press manipulated the people and many of the votes cast were stolen. When something good happens that man had a hand in you can thank God but when something bad happens you need to blame man and fight with all of your heart and soul instead of resigning yourself to "It was God's will".
God does not involve himself in politics, nor does He decide who wins baseball games. He pretty much left all that stuff up to man after Jesus Christ walked the earth.

Adam Smithee, on Nov 8 2008, 11:05 PM, said:

Was Obama's win g0d's will ? I guess one could say that, ultimately, EVERYTHING that happens is "god's will". But I've never really been satisfied with that sort of triteness myself.

Personally, I tend to view Obama's victory as "god's will" only in the sense that a recalcitrant Israel being stomped into captivity in the OT was also god's will at the time.

You have eluded to something of which I more or less think on this issue. I personally believe that God has given to us what we wanted or perhaps I should say allowed us to get what we deserved. I think of this more like God removing His hand of protection and favor over us a wee bit and letting us live with the consequences of our choices. I believe this is a lesson for which we are suppose to learn something very important.
To take a slight Calvinist aproach (I am not very fond of labels)- God is omnipresent...this is a concept, which our linear minds can't wrap around. Life, with God, is like watching a movie with the writer, and the director. He may drop a spoiler or two... because He knows the ending. We, as the actors in this metapor, can take direction from the Director, or we can choose not to...but it's still His movie and it will end His way with us, or without. Life doesn't always pan out the way we want it to- this is so cliche it'sickening... but God is ultimately in control of the larger picture... He is seeking our part in the larger picture and it is our job to listen... our job to recognize that there are larger things than ourselves.

What God allows on this earth is a blessing- the good and the bad. Some say it was terrible, the way Jesus was treated and killed... I thank God for Pilate, delivering the promise to us. Attrocities are just brief moments of poor decisions or inactions. This doesn't mean that God made them happen, but it does mean that God allowed them to happen. Are we listening? Are we paying attention?

To speak very broadly- all things are the responsibility of our creator, but the accountability is ours. With this new president, we can either sit by and be angry about his election, or we can pray for Barack and his heart. God is watching very closely... maybe He'd like us to do the same.

the minister's wife, on Nov 9 2008, 06:53 AM, said:

Ditto to all that has been posted.

It seems that the question is more about : Does God know what He is doing? I have asked this many times myself.

The Scriptures say that all Authority on earth is given by God. So there is no one who is over us that has not been accounted for by our Lord. He reigns and I must keep my eyes on Him.

Over all.....I am fearful for my country. I am anticipating times of great stress and perhaps despair. This is the wretched nappy sheep me; the one that bolts at the slightest provocation. It is not the sheep that I know I am meant to be.

I have prayed for discernment. And got this word: All the promises made to our fathers will be fulfilled.

I admit, I do not know exactly what this means. I suspect that a reckoning is coming due.

Still there is comfort in this: He has not forsaken us. He is faithful. And He is committed to His Purpose and has placed us in the Palm of His Hand.

If there is anyone, any group that can make a real CHANGE, it us brothers and sisters. Pray without ceasing. Pray for the President of the US, the President Elect and his family. Pray for those who protect them. Pray for many angels to guard and deliver.

the minister's wife

All the promises made to our fathers will be fulfilled.

Thank you for this, the Minister's Wife. This gives me more hope than I can say that God's Will will be done no matter what. He does still love us and will not forsake us. Prayer, prayer, prayer, we must pray. I'm so worried. I wish I would not worry but learn to trust instead. God help us.
  • 2 Pages +

ilja's Corny Corner

A Doctor, A Lawyer, A Little Boy And A Priest
A doctor, a lawyer, a little boy and a priest were out for a Sunday afternoon flight on a small private plane. Suddenly, the plane developed engine trouble. In spite of the best efforts of the pilot, the plane started to go down. Finally, the pilot grabbed a parachute, yelled to the passengers that they had better jump, and then he bailed out.

Unfortunately, there were only three parachutes remaining. The doctor grabbed one and said "I'm a doctor, I save lives, so I must live," and jumped out.

The lawyer then said, "I'm a lawyer and lawyers are the smartest people in the world. I deserve to live." He also grabbed a parachute and jumped.

The priest looked at the little boy and said, "My son, I've lived a long and full life. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Take the last parachute and live in peace."

The little boy handed the parachute back to the priest and said, "Not to worry, Father. The 'smartest man in the world' just took off with my back pack."

link

1 user(s) viewing

1 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

ilja's Favorite RightNation Quotes

View Postspt, on 03 May 2011 - 05:32 PM, said:

I think maybe we should all go for a drink and ask for the new drink....it is called the Bin Laden...2 shots and a splash of water :drinkers: :drinkers:
http://i147.photobuc.../lmaosmiley.gif

View PostBrian Fellow, on 15 December 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Sorry was busy reading a tweet from an adamant 'pro-choice' person about gun control and 'how many children have to die before we do something'?

http://i147.photobuc...%202/anj_up.gif A perfect example of both irony and hypocrisy.

John Mauldin relates the details of a conversation he had with John Boehner, the Speaker of the House of Representatives.

At the :50 Maudlin describes Boehner telling him that Obama has,
“…balls made out of marshmallows…”

View PostSonofThunder, on 26 February 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

If that is true, why do we see Boehner continually backing down and rolling over while Obama stands firm and never compromises?

View PostGertie Keddle, on 26 February 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

'Cause he's a Campfire Girl?
http://i147.photobuc...06/kneeslap.gif

NEVER FORGET!

Staff Sgt. Matt Maupin’s long road home ended Saturday in a blaze of yellow ribbons, the silent tribute of people who lined the roads, and the respect of thousands more who filed past his coffin at a public visitation . . . “If four people showed up, that’s OK with me,” said Keith Maupin, the soldier’s father, as he took a mid-afternoon break outside the Civic Center, where many came up to him to shake his hand or give him a hug . . . Matt Maupin became the face of the war in Iraq for thousands here and across the country in April 2004, when an Arab TV station aired a tape showing the Union Township soldier kneeling and surrounded by masked men carrying automatic rifles . . .Four years and millions of prayers later, a tip from an Iraqi citizen led U.S. soldiers to the farm area northwest of Baghdad where Matt Maupin’s remains were found on March 20 . . .Scoutmaster David Bacon said the boys of Troop 511 had been well aware of the story of Matt Maupin and wanted to pay their own tribute.“I’ve talked to them many times about Matt,” said Bacon, whose cousin, Lance Cpl. David Kreuter, was killed in Iraq in 2005. “They understand it was the sacrifice of young men like Matt that gives us the freedom to meet every Monday night. There are places in the world where Boy Scouting is not allowed.” http://i147.photobuc.../3yqo3h0.gifPFC Keith Matthew MaupinCaptured in IraqApril 9, 2004

We Owe Them So Much

http://i147.photobuc.../troopsspin.gifNever Mind the Cost by c.m.steppe ©2001 There's a young man far from home, Called in time of war; Sent to defend our freedom On some distant foreign shore. On some distant foreign shore. We pray You keep him safe, We pray You keep him strong, We pray You send him safely home ... For he's been away so long. For he's been away so long. There's a young woman far from home, Serving U.S.A. with pride. Her every step is strong and sure, Courage in every stride. Courage in every stride. We pray You keep her safe, We pray You keep her strong, We pray You send her safely home ... For she's been away too long. For she's been away too long. Bless those who wait their safe return. Bless those who mourn the lost. Bless those who serve this country well, Never mind the cost. Never mind the cost. God, Bless America!

Recent Entries

Disclaimer

Search My Blog

An Email From God?

I got this in an email today and though it doesn't say who wrote it, I don't doubt these things could have happened.'MEET ME IN THE STAIRWELL' You say you will never forget where you were when you heard the news On September 11, 2001. Neither will I. I was on the 110th floor in a smoke filled room with a man who called his wife to say 'Good-Bye.' I held his fingers steady as he dialed. I gave him the peace to say, 'Honey, I am not going to make it, but it is OK..I am ready to go.' I was with his wife when he called as she fed breakfast to their children. I held her up as she tried to understand his words and as she realized he wasn't coming home that night. I was in the stairwell of the 23rd floor when a woman cried out to Me for help. 'I have been knocking on the door of your heart for 50 years!' I said. 'Of course I will show you the way home - only believe in Me now.' I was at the base of the building with the Priest ministering to the injured and devastated souls. I took him home to tend to his Flock in Heaven. He heard my voice and answered. I was on all four of those planes, in every seat, with every prayer. I was with the crew as they were overtaken. I was in the very hearts of the believers there, comforting and assuring them that their faith has saved them. I was in Texas , Virginia , California , Michigan , Afghanistan ... I was standing next to you when you heard the terrible news. Did you sense Me? I want you to know that I saw every face. I knew every name - though not all know Me. Some met Me for the first time on the 86th floor. Some sought Me with their last breath. Some couldn't hear Me calling to them through the smoke and flames; 'Come to Me... this way... take my hand.' Some chose, for the final time, to ignore Me. But, I was there. I did not place you in the Tower that day. You may not know why, but I do. However, if you were there in that explosive moment in time, would you have reached for Me? Sept. 11, 2001, was not the end of the journey for you. But someday your journey will end. And I will be there for you as well. Seek Me now while I may be found. Then, at any moment, you know you are 'ready to go.' I will be in the stairwell of your final moments. God http://i147.photobuc...3/knowjesus.gif