RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: A Moral Dilemma - RightNation.US

-----

A Moral Dilemma

How can you put down your pet if you are against human euthanasia? I know that people do it all the time including those who are against euthanasia for people. But how do you justify that within yourself if you are totally against the same action with humans?

How can you let go of a pet when you have seen him go through nearly the same illness since he was born but you thought you had finally found a cure because his last treatment worked so much longer than any before?

What if this particular pet is different than most? What if this particular pet has reached inside your heart and grabbed so tightly that you can feel the love emanating from both you and him at certain moments when you hold him? It's a love so strong that you can physically feel it inside of you.

What if you've spent the last year and a half going through so much effort to help him to get better and you were so confident that he was better? I know that's a repeat but at this moment I don't care.

What if I'm wrong? What if they are wrong? What if this is simply a setback and he could really finally get better, it's just that you took too long to get him to someone who would recognize what was different about this time?

What if you can't stand the thought of living without him? I don't mean anything like you would do something to yourself. I just mean that you hate to think of him never being around again. You hate to think of walking in the door and him not being there, jumping around, being all happy to see you as if he has spent the whole day just waiting for that moment when you would walk through the door. You hate the thought of never again falling asleep while watching a movie, only to wake up and notice that he had jumped up in the recliner with you and was sleeping on your chest. You hate the thought of never again throwing that old stringy rope toy for him to fetch and bring back to you only to play tug-of-war and finally losing so you could throw it again.

How do you let go when you know that you could stop even having to?

Elusively his,
ilja

16 Comments On This Entry

It's difficult. I know that pets are almost family, but the key word is almost. There IS a difference. But, for the sake of discussion, I'll assume its one and the same - to put it bluntly, could you euthenize a family member ?To me, it boils down to a question of "pain" - how much pain is the person or pet in ? And I'm not talking about temporary pain like a headache or broken limb, which can be cured or alleviated, but chronic 24/7 pain that just drains the vive out of you.I know my own choice. I am a "fighter". Don't ever pull the plug on me, because no matter how grim it looks I will be fighting until the last electron in the last mitochondria is extinguished. I will be the one in a million that makes it against all odds. But I can also block out pain better than most.For me it is a moral dilemma because I know that certain inlaws have chosen otherwise and have signed 'living wills' to that effect. Sorry, but I just can't honour that. Or am I just being a pompous ass as someone who has never had to deal with chronic pain? I don't know. I just don't know.If push ever comes to shove, I trust that The Almighty will guide me in my decision, because I sure as heck can't do it myself. I'm also willing to give anyone similarly situated the benefit of the doubt; I won't second-guess them.
:blahblah: I don't know the answers. I hope you find peace about whatever decision you need to make.
The main difference for me is that humans have the capacity in most cases to understand what is happening or at least why it might be happening, animals really don't they just know that they are in pain or sick at this moment. We have to make the decision for our pets, whereas humans have probably made their wishes known at some point (or can still make their wishes known while they are going through it)... My pets are my family especially because I am alone... other than that I agree with Adam Smitee. I am sorry you are going through that it is so hard to have to make that decision for your pet, It really comes down to how much pain your pet is in, how his quality of life is, does he still have the same spirit for life? I have had to make the decision before and I will have to do it again. I made the decision a long time ago that I would always have pets because the joy and love that they give you while they are here is worth it. Also I will tell you that they don't ever leave you I still feel Pinky around. I have felt a cat jump on the bed, and when I look expecting to see one of my current cats, there is nothing there. I believe that is Pinky coming to visit me. They will let you know when they are ready to go, Pinky stopped eating so that I couldn't give him his insulin, I knew he was done he didn't want to have the treatments anymore. It broke my heart into a million pieces, he was my first cat, and he was awesome. The pain that you feel with the loss of a pet doesn't really go away but it does get better. It has been about 8 years since I lost Pinky and I can think of him without tears until a topic like this comes up ... (it did not take 8 years for me to get to that point that is just how long it has been...) :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :blahblah:
Prayers for you, Ilja. It sounds like you are going through a tough time and I know it's not easy to decide what to do. I wish I had a good answer for you, but I don't. The last time we had a pet in the family approach its end was a tough time for us. Thankfully for our cat (Molly) and us she went quickly and peacefully. We buried her in the backyard and had a little tear filled service. I still often think of the best cat ever. Now our curreny cats are a different story. They will not be missed. Anyone interested in two older and destructive cats?
I am so sorry. I can really feel your anguish. Do you sense he is looking to you to help him go? Maybe he will tell you it is time when he understands both of you have done all you could and you are both ready to say "see ya later". God Bless You, Ilja.
We have had to put to 'sleep' several very close pets in the last few years.I also agreed with my two brothers that when the time came and it was left to our unanimous decision, to let Dad go.In the case of the pets, they had no written anything of course, it was totally our decision.As for Dad, he did have a document, legal in the State of Arizona, to allow him to pass without anything but pain relief.When it got to the point that my brothers and I were required to make the call, it happened to fast for Dad to have told us,'Yeah, I still want that." So we were left to believe that because he hadn't said otherwise, his intent hadn't changed.I may never get over the guilt of abiding with his written wish, even though I have the exact same directive in my own legal documents. I do NOT want heroic measures expended in my name when there is little or zero chance of returning to a 'normal' life. I believe my belief in that has only grown stronger in the last two+ years, as I have watched my once active and vibrant wife slide into such a pain filled and physically inactive existence that I have begun, despite my best efforts, to feel sorry for her. But that's really not your question, is it Ilja?Letting a loved pet go, hard, damned hard.And even after almost three years now, we still kind of expect to see Tim come strolling into the house after an all niter outside doing whatever the hell it was he did.But he got so sick, and was so old, that as much as it hurt, we believed it would be less painful for us and him to find him cold and stiff some morning. I cried for hours after, and again when his ashes came home. And almost again every time I think to much about him.But his pain was terrible to watch the effects of, and his existence couldn't truly be called living anymore.It's a hard and painful decision, one that many people don't make because it somehow feels wrong, even when your brain knows that the facts support the idea.Anyone who has had to do it, knows what I mean.Anyone who hasn't been faced with that decision, is guessing.....at best.
Humans often can make the choice for themselves. I'm not against assisted suicide or euthanasia when someone has a painful terminal illness. I'd rather go peacefully on my own terms than have my last days be full of pain while I cling to life.I've never had a pet so I can't speak from personal experience, but I don't think it would be fair to make a pet live a painful existence just because I would miss him. The key deciding point should be the pet's quality of life.
I look at it as a matter of being a terminal disease. You have to ask yourself after you've semmingly done everything possible, wheter it is better to let them continue to suffer or let them go and end the suffering. You never want to lose somebody you love, but then again you do not want to be so selfish as to keep them in pain just to satisfy your selfish ethics or whatever.
Thank you all for your responses. You guys have really helped me to evaluate the facts of this situation rather than just my emotions. I'm waiting to hear from a trusted vet today before making my decision. There's a possibility that I might not have to put him down but we will see.I didn't want to respond until I knew for sure what I was doing but thought all of your kind responses should be acknowledged.At this moment, please keep my little Dylan in your prayers. He's a half West Highland White Terrier and half Shih tzu. He's very similar to Toto from The Wizard of Oz but mostly white with patches of tan and his ears hang down instead of sticking up like Toto's. Again, thank you all so much for listening and for your advice. It means more than I can say. :blahblah:
Ever heard of hospice? It keeps terminally ill patients out of pain, with doses of morphine. That's what people do for their pets. At the root, they are both the same thing.
On a purely intellectual level, it doesn't make sense to agonize over the life of a pet, but we aren't purely intellectual creatures. We share a God given bond with these animals. Human civilization is the story of man's relationship with the dog.So you stand in the same comapany of billions. If there was ever a situation where one should not feel alone, it's this one. But I understand if you do. That's another thing about us humans. We're trapped in our own experiences sometimes.I pray your little pal gets better.
Well, your prayers worked. Dylan is getting better and I don't have to put him down right now. I'm so relieved and so happy.Thank you everyone once again for your input. It was because of what y'all said that had me go back and question rather or not he really needed to be put down yet. His new treatments have been started, he's already showing signs of improvement and I get to go get him tomorrow night. It does sound like it's going to be something treating him but hey, that's better than not having him to treat. http://www.democrati..._snoopy.gifWhew!

Mr. Naron, on 28 March 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

On a purely intellectual level, it doesn't make sense to agonize over the life of a pet, but we aren't purely intellectual creatures. We share a God given bond with these animals. Human civilization is the story of man's relationship with the dog.So you stand in the same comapany of billions. If there was ever a situation where one should not feel alone, it's this one. But I understand if you do. That's another thing about us humans. We're trapped in our own experiences sometimes.I pray your little pal gets better.
What did you mean by Human civilization is the story of man's relationship with the dog.

ilja, on 28 March 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

Well, your prayers worked. Dylan is getting better and I don't have to put him down right now. I'm so relieved and so happy.Thank you everyone once again for your input. It was because of what y'all said that had me go back and question rather or not he really needed to be put down yet. His new treatments have been started, he's already showing signs of improvement and I get to go get him tomorrow night. It does sound like it's going to be something treating him but hey, that's better than not having him to treat. http://www.democrati..._snoopy.gifWhew!
I'm so happy for you!!!

ilja, on 28 March 2011 - 03:38 PM, said:

I am happy to hear that. Yay!

ilja, on 28 March 2011 - 03:48 PM, said:

Mr. Naron, on 28 March 2011 - 01:53 PM, said:

What did you mean by Human civilization is the story of man's relationship with the dog.
First, awesome news!Second, humans began domesticating dogs before farming. Some anthros think that the dog gave humans the security and stability to start farming. I think God kicked us out of the Garden but sent his most loving creature out with us to make sure we didn't forget what paradise was like.
Page 1 of 1

ilja's Corny Corner

A Doctor, A Lawyer, A Little Boy And A Priest
A doctor, a lawyer, a little boy and a priest were out for a Sunday afternoon flight on a small private plane. Suddenly, the plane developed engine trouble. In spite of the best efforts of the pilot, the plane started to go down. Finally, the pilot grabbed a parachute, yelled to the passengers that they had better jump, and then he bailed out.

Unfortunately, there were only three parachutes remaining. The doctor grabbed one and said "I'm a doctor, I save lives, so I must live," and jumped out.

The lawyer then said, "I'm a lawyer and lawyers are the smartest people in the world. I deserve to live." He also grabbed a parachute and jumped.

The priest looked at the little boy and said, "My son, I've lived a long and full life. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Take the last parachute and live in peace."

The little boy handed the parachute back to the priest and said, "Not to worry, Father. The 'smartest man in the world' just took off with my back pack."

link

1 user(s) viewing

1 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

ilja's Favorite RightNation Quotes

View Postspt, on 03 May 2011 - 05:32 PM, said:

I think maybe we should all go for a drink and ask for the new drink....it is called the Bin Laden...2 shots and a splash of water :drinkers: :drinkers:
http://i147.photobuc.../lmaosmiley.gif

View PostBrian Fellow, on 15 December 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Sorry was busy reading a tweet from an adamant 'pro-choice' person about gun control and 'how many children have to die before we do something'?

http://i147.photobuc...%202/anj_up.gif A perfect example of both irony and hypocrisy.

John Mauldin relates the details of a conversation he had with John Boehner, the Speaker of the House of Representatives.

At the :50 Maudlin describes Boehner telling him that Obama has,
“…balls made out of marshmallows…”

View PostSonofThunder, on 26 February 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

If that is true, why do we see Boehner continually backing down and rolling over while Obama stands firm and never compromises?

View PostGertie Keddle, on 26 February 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

'Cause he's a Campfire Girl?
http://i147.photobuc...06/kneeslap.gif

NEVER FORGET!

Staff Sgt. Matt Maupin’s long road home ended Saturday in a blaze of yellow ribbons, the silent tribute of people who lined the roads, and the respect of thousands more who filed past his coffin at a public visitation . . . “If four people showed up, that’s OK with me,” said Keith Maupin, the soldier’s father, as he took a mid-afternoon break outside the Civic Center, where many came up to him to shake his hand or give him a hug . . . Matt Maupin became the face of the war in Iraq for thousands here and across the country in April 2004, when an Arab TV station aired a tape showing the Union Township soldier kneeling and surrounded by masked men carrying automatic rifles . . .Four years and millions of prayers later, a tip from an Iraqi citizen led U.S. soldiers to the farm area northwest of Baghdad where Matt Maupin’s remains were found on March 20 . . .Scoutmaster David Bacon said the boys of Troop 511 had been well aware of the story of Matt Maupin and wanted to pay their own tribute.“I’ve talked to them many times about Matt,” said Bacon, whose cousin, Lance Cpl. David Kreuter, was killed in Iraq in 2005. “They understand it was the sacrifice of young men like Matt that gives us the freedom to meet every Monday night. There are places in the world where Boy Scouting is not allowed.” http://i147.photobuc.../3yqo3h0.gifPFC Keith Matthew MaupinCaptured in IraqApril 9, 2004

We Owe Them So Much

http://i147.photobuc.../troopsspin.gifNever Mind the Cost by c.m.steppe ©2001 There's a young man far from home, Called in time of war; Sent to defend our freedom On some distant foreign shore. On some distant foreign shore. We pray You keep him safe, We pray You keep him strong, We pray You send him safely home ... For he's been away so long. For he's been away so long. There's a young woman far from home, Serving U.S.A. with pride. Her every step is strong and sure, Courage in every stride. Courage in every stride. We pray You keep her safe, We pray You keep her strong, We pray You send her safely home ... For she's been away too long. For she's been away too long. Bless those who wait their safe return. Bless those who mourn the lost. Bless those who serve this country well, Never mind the cost. Never mind the cost. God, Bless America!

Recent Entries

Disclaimer

Search My Blog

An Email From God?

I got this in an email today and though it doesn't say who wrote it, I don't doubt these things could have happened.'MEET ME IN THE STAIRWELL' You say you will never forget where you were when you heard the news On September 11, 2001. Neither will I. I was on the 110th floor in a smoke filled room with a man who called his wife to say 'Good-Bye.' I held his fingers steady as he dialed. I gave him the peace to say, 'Honey, I am not going to make it, but it is OK..I am ready to go.' I was with his wife when he called as she fed breakfast to their children. I held her up as she tried to understand his words and as she realized he wasn't coming home that night. I was in the stairwell of the 23rd floor when a woman cried out to Me for help. 'I have been knocking on the door of your heart for 50 years!' I said. 'Of course I will show you the way home - only believe in Me now.' I was at the base of the building with the Priest ministering to the injured and devastated souls. I took him home to tend to his Flock in Heaven. He heard my voice and answered. I was on all four of those planes, in every seat, with every prayer. I was with the crew as they were overtaken. I was in the very hearts of the believers there, comforting and assuring them that their faith has saved them. I was in Texas , Virginia , California , Michigan , Afghanistan ... I was standing next to you when you heard the terrible news. Did you sense Me? I want you to know that I saw every face. I knew every name - though not all know Me. Some met Me for the first time on the 86th floor. Some sought Me with their last breath. Some couldn't hear Me calling to them through the smoke and flames; 'Come to Me... this way... take my hand.' Some chose, for the final time, to ignore Me. But, I was there. I did not place you in the Tower that day. You may not know why, but I do. However, if you were there in that explosive moment in time, would you have reached for Me? Sept. 11, 2001, was not the end of the journey for you. But someday your journey will end. And I will be there for you as well. Seek Me now while I may be found. Then, at any moment, you know you are 'ready to go.' I will be in the stairwell of your final moments. God http://i147.photobuc...3/knowjesus.gif