RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Should Social Conservatives Fuhgetaboutit? - RightNation.US

-----
Today I'm at the point where I just want to fuhgetaboutit! I mean what's the point of caring about politics if you are a social conservative? Who really gives a hoot?

Yes, I know this sounds like whining. And yes, I know Conservatives are not supposed to whine. So please consider this a rhymes with itch session. Either that or just please stop reading and go read something else. Now isn't that a great way to attract more readers? I really must be a knuckle dragger. http://www.millan.ne...eys/furious.gif

It's not like this is something new. I felt this very same way when I first started caring about anything with a political bent. I guess the hard part is that I thought I had gotten past that point. I thought that we as a people had learned to accept others with different points of views. Shoot, who am I to talk? I sometimes get upset with others with different points of views, too. What's the big deal?

Perhaps part of it is finally realizing that so many folks whom I used to admire and for whom I had so much respect have finally revealed the part of themselves which hold folks like myself with utter disdain? Yes, I know that sentence set off an alarm for the grammar police. Go ahead, cuff me. :lol:

I can't talk about this without mentioning Fox News. Fox News used to be such a comfort for a conservative in a liberal media world. They used to be so nice to watch just so I would know that I wasn't the only one out here that held such different beliefs and principles than what you see and hear on TV, in the movies or in popular music. I really bought into their "fair and balanced" claim.

While I am still grateful for Fox News, I've finally come to realize that their fair and balanced does not mean between conservative and liberal. It means fair and balanced between very liberal and somewhat liberal. And yes, when I say liberal I don't mean the original meaning of the word but today's leftist definition.

I saw a segment this past weekend where they had two guests on, supposedly from different sides of the aisle, to debate an issue but they ended up agreeing with each other. The worst part is lately that is nothing unusual.

I'm going back to feeling like a fifties housewife whom others want to keep at home, barefoot and pregnant. Only come out to vote, how we tell you to vote and shut-up and don't expect anything out of us otherwise. After all, we are the smart people in the room who know so much more what is best for you than you do.

Don't you realize you stupid social conservatives are just an embarrassment to us and we really want to keep you quiet and out of sight? We are hoping if you are out of sight, you will be out of mind (of the liberals we are trying to impress with our pragmatism).

Yes, we will sometimes pretend like you matter and actually talk nicely about one of your candidates if they are going to be a guest on our show or if it will help our ratings. But in the end, the only hope you have is that out of the goodness of our hearts, we might offer them a vice-presidential position. Thank you so much Charles Krauthammer.

Speaking of Mr. Krauthammer, he has been one of my biggest disappointments of them all. I used to admire that man immensely. He was one of if not my most favorite of them all. I now realize that I thought we had so much in common because at that time, I still thought of former President Bush as a conservative. While now, I've finally realized that he acted and maybe even was conservative on some issues but not nearly as much as he pretended to be during his firt campaign. Thank you Mr. Rove (the smartest man in politics). :rolleyes: How'd that Comprehensive Immigration Reform (amnesty) work out for ya, Karl? It's funny how this is the first time I realized he had the same given name as a famous Marxist. :giggle:

I remember always wondering if Bush was truly pro-life because I knew Laura was not. But he seemed to keep all of his promises to us pro-lifers, much to my delight. Yet, he disappointed me every year when he always had an excuse for not attending the pro-life rally in DC on the anniversary of Roe v/s Wade. It used to upset me that while he would make pro-life decisions, he failed to lead on that issue.

You see that's the money quote right there for this social conservative. I want a leader with big enough gonads to lead (not just whisper) on the life issue. Quit being ashamed of it if you really mean it.

I guess I just need to listen to all the "pragmatists" who tell me a "real" conservative cannot win. I need to accept folks who do not hold my beliefs or have my principles. I need to accept that I am a fringe lunatic who should just shut-up and go along to get along.

The thing is while I might shut up for a while, I will not quit holding my own beliefs and principles. I will not stop caring about the innocent babies that are being killed each day in the name of "pragmatism". I will not consider their deaths as something to be pushed under a basket until we can solve all of our other problems first. I will not support someone who doesn't give a dang about them either.

And eventually, I can't hold it in any longer and good or bad, this is the result.

Elusively yours,
ilja

12 Comments On This Entry

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Right there with ya, ilja!
When I go to church, I know that other Christians there think I'm a fool because I am a young earth creationist.

When I am with some of my politically minded peers, I know some of them think I am an extremist because I'm pro-life.

When I'm with my family, I get lectured on being a radical libertarian.

When I'm here, I get called an establishment RINO, or a libertarian, and I suspect you would include me as one of the pragmatists.

Point being, I am an extremist. I am extremely me. That being the case, if I was unwilling to accept any candidate that didn't match all of my positions, I would have to stay home, and there have been times that I have wanted to. However, I can't do that, I was brought up differently. You never give up. If you have five choices, you take the best of the five. If you have a choice between two alternatives, you take the better of the two. You may not be happy about your options, and you don't have to be, but because you will get one of those options inevitably, you choose the better one.

That's what keeps me going. I do the best I can. I am on the fringes of the conservative movement, my beliefs and convictions put me at odds in one way or another with at least 90% of the population, and I'm fine with that. I'm not moving for them, and while the mainstream may be meandering over in my direction (thanks to a number of realities becoming clearer over the past couple of years), I will never be in the mainstream (or at least I highly doubt it). That being the case, I have accepted that I won't get my "dream candidate", so I will go with the best I can find (and it looks like she'll be announcing on Monday).
Actually, I only have a problem with social conservatives when they try to use the power of government to enforce their beliefs on the whole country. Now I'll grant you the pro-life/abortion issue actually has some nuances that most libertarians don't want to deal with. Specifically being: at what point does the child's rights and the mother's rights come into conflict?

However, I worry about social conservatives as being no different than the leftists. They both want to use the power of government to enforce their religious beliefs onto everyone. I'd much rather have the government be neutral and let people decide how they are going to live.

Mr. E. Monkey, on 28 June 2011 - 10:04 AM, said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Right there with ya, ilja!

Ahhhhh, thank you so much former running mate! :D

dan, on 28 June 2011 - 11:31 AM, said:

When I go to church, I know that other Christians there think I'm a fool because I am a young earth creationist.When I am with some of my politically minded peers, I know some of them think I am an extremist because I'm pro-life.When I'm with my family, I get lectured on being a radical libertarian.When I'm here, I get called an establishment RINO, or a libertarian, and I suspect you would include me as one of the pragmatists.Point being, I am an extremist. I am extremely me. That being the case, if I was unwilling to accept any candidate that didn't match all of my positions, I would have to stay home, and there have been times that I have wanted to. However, I can't do that, I was brought up differently. You never give up. If you have five choices, you take the best of the five. If you have a choice between two alternatives, you take the better of the two. You may not be happy about your options, and you don't have to be, but because you will get one of those options inevitably, you choose the better one. That's what keeps me going. I do the best I can. I am on the fringes of the conservative movement, my beliefs and convictions put me at odds in one way or another with at least 90% of the population, and I'm fine with that. I'm not moving for them, and while the mainstream may be meandering over in my direction (thanks to a number of realities becoming clearer over the past couple of years), I will never be in the mainstream (or at least I highly doubt it). That being the case, I have accepted that I won't get my "dream candidate", so I will go with the best I can find (and it looks like she'll be announcing on Monday).

Yes, I've heard the excuses to give up my principles over and over again. I still won't change my mind this early in the process. I think it's defeatism to roll over and play dead when the election is almost a year and a half away. I just don't think there is anything anyone can say that could convince me to accept spineless candidates when there are still a few or a couple still in the race who have a spine and principles. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they say nor do I think they are perfect. I'm just too conservative to support folks who pretend to be conservative but whom everyone knows really isn't.

cobalt-blue, on 28 June 2011 - 01:14 PM, said:

Actually, I only have a problem with social conservatives when they try to use the power of government to enforce their beliefs on the whole country. Now I'll grant you the pro-life/abortion issue actually has some nuances that most libertarians don't want to deal with. Specifically being: at what point does the child's rights and the mother's rights come into conflict? However, I worry about social conservatives as being no different than the leftists. They both want to use the power of government to enforce their religious beliefs onto everyone. I'd much rather have the government be neutral and let people decide how they are going to live.

I know, Danny and I understand your reasoning even if I don't agree with it. There are times when I disagree with other Christians on political issues but I don't hold it against them that they come to those stances from their Christian beliefs.

I know we will never agree on this subject and that's okay with me. I'm just of the believe that most everyone has guiding principles and/or beliefs that lead them to make a decision on where they stand on an issue. I see my decisions that are led from my religous beliefs no different than someone's stance on an issue that was led by their thoughts and beliefs rather they are religious or not.

I wish I could find the words to better explain what I mean. It's like why should my thoughts and beliefs be discounted simply because I'm not an atheist?

Also, I don't believe for a minute that someone without faith seeks to pass legislation without considering their beliefs or non-beliefs. :shrug:
Fuhgetaboutit? By all means, NO. That's what they want you to believe and just lay back and accept the inevitable. On the contrary, now is the time to redouble efforts.

The "establishment", such as it is, so far, apparently wants everyone to believe that Romney is the inevitable candidate and so better get used to it. But Romney is to 2012 what Giuliani was to 2008; Remember that at this point in '08 Giuliani was in essentially the same spot, and look how that worked out.

Adam Smithee, on 28 June 2011 - 08:27 PM, said:

Fuhgetaboutit? By all means, NO. That's what they want you to believe and just lay back and accept the inevitable. On the contrary, now is the time to redouble efforts.The "establishment", such as it is, so far, apparently wants everyone to believe that Romney is the inevitable candidate and so better get used to it. But Romney is to 2012 what Giuliani was to 2008; Remember that at this point in '08 Giuliani was in essentially the same spot, and look how that worked out.

Thanks for the encouragement, Adam. Yes, I remember Giuliani's inevitability well. It had me greatly worried. I'm not as worried about Romney but I still obviously let it get to me. Though I think the really hard establishment push will come when Perry jumps in. Not that I'm comparing him to Romney but I think he has the Bush team behind him and I don't quite trust him. There's just something there there. http://i147.photobuc.../001_unsure.gif

Actually, I only have a problem with social conservatives when they try to use the power of government to enforce their beliefs on the whole country. Now I'll grant you the pro-life/abortion issue actually has some nuances that most libertarians don't want to deal with. Specifically being: at what point does the child's rights and the mother's rights come into conflict? However, I worry about social conservatives as being no different than the leftists. They both want to use the power of government to enforce their religious beliefs onto everyone. I'd much rather have the government be neutral and let people decide how they are going to live.

The more I think about what you said, the less happy I am with my original reply to you. I don't want to think there is no difference between social conservatives and the left but I can understand why that comparison is sometimes made. I actually think it has more to do with the difference between conservatives and libertarians. As crazy as it sounds, conservatives are not as far on the right end of the scale as libertarians in some ways but of course further in others.

Sometimes, I wonder if it were not for the gay marriage and pot issues, if both groups could more easily cohabitate?
I'll count myself as a social conservative. Mostly because I believe what goes on in your world has little to do with mine. When it comes to many social issues such as abortion, gay marriage, and drugs, people think that I'm libertarian, even liberal. I'm not. I'm simply hands off. I will cast judgment and unabashedly give my opinion. The difference is, you have to solicit my opinion.

Whereas with liberals, they will tell you what they think regardless. I tried being a liberal in college. Turns out, being vocal with my opinion was very discomforting to my "friends". Social conservatives grate liberals because they dare to say "I don't have to change for you. In fact, you have to adjust to my way of life". On that, I agree with SCs.

That flippant remark by the Chumpster about your kids learning Spanish? F'em. They and their kids need to learn English. What's that? I'm a racist and a xenophobe? No es su casa, puto.

Gay marriage. It's called "monogamy". Anyone can do it at anytime and anywhere. Among your tribe, it can be recognized and celebrated. Don't see why it has to be sanctioned by any church or state.

Give me that "tolerance" or "diversity" Spiel, you're liable to be punched in the face. Liberals claim that you cannot legislate morality. So... why the fever pitch over abortion, health care, taxing the rich or even soda? Because they are hypocrits. Their god is among men, occupying the White House.

Though social conservatives can be harsh and hypocrits themselves, they are pragmatic. They tend to believe that being the best person they can might not necessarily make the world the better place, but it gets them through life. Whereas liberals are obsessed with tearing others down for the illusion of elevating their petty condition.

ilja, on 28 June 2011 - 05:39 PM, said:

dan, on 28 June 2011 - 11:31 AM, said:

When I go to church, I know that other Christians there think I'm a fool because I am a young earth creationist.When I am with some of my politically minded peers, I know some of them think I am an extremist because I'm pro-life.When I'm with my family, I get lectured on being a radical libertarian.When I'm here, I get called an establishment RINO, or a libertarian, and I suspect you would include me as one of the pragmatists.Point being, I am an extremist. I am extremely me. That being the case, if I was unwilling to accept any candidate that didn't match all of my positions, I would have to stay home, and there have been times that I have wanted to. However, I can't do that, I was brought up differently. You never give up. If you have five choices, you take the best of the five. If you have a choice between two alternatives, you take the better of the two. You may not be happy about your options, and you don't have to be, but because you will get one of those options inevitably, you choose the better one. That's what keeps me going. I do the best I can. I am on the fringes of the conservative movement, my beliefs and convictions put me at odds in one way or another with at least 90% of the population, and I'm fine with that. I'm not moving for them, and while the mainstream may be meandering over in my direction (thanks to a number of realities becoming clearer over the past couple of years), I will never be in the mainstream (or at least I highly doubt it). That being the case, I have accepted that I won't get my "dream candidate", so I will go with the best I can find (and it looks like she'll be announcing on Monday).
Yes, I've heard the excuses to give up my principles over and over again. I still won't change my mind this early in the process. I think it's defeatism to roll over and play dead when the election is almost a year and a half away. I just don't think there is anything anyone can say that could convince me to accept spineless candidates when there are still a few or a couple still in the race who have a spine and principles. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they say nor do I think they are perfect. I'm just too conservative to support folks who pretend to be conservative but whom everyone knows really isn't.

I agree that it is too soon to give up. We're in the primary, so accepting Mitt, for example, is completely out of the question. What I am talking about is not conceding to the enemy because of heartbreak over the nominee being less than I desire, like some conservatives are talking about doing.

ilja, on 28 June 2011 - 09:24 PM, said:

The more I think about what you said, the less happy I am with my original reply to you. I don't want to think there is no difference between social conservatives and the left but I can understand why that comparison is sometimes made. I actually think it has more to do with the difference between conservatives and libertarians. As crazy as it sounds, conservatives are not as far on the right end of the scale as libertarians in some ways but of course further in others. Sometimes, I wonder if it were not for the gay marriage and pot issues, if both groups could more easily cohabitate?

For me it's less a matter of the issues themselves but the automatic reaction to use the power of government to get what they want. There is a piece floating around on the internet about the differences between Republicans and leftist being that if a Republican doesn't like guns, he doesn't own one, but a leftist tries to make government keep everyone from owning one. The piece goes on to cover several issues. If the piece were true, then I would have a lot more respect for Republicans and social conservatives, but it's not true. The only difference between the two groups is the parts of our lives in which they want the government to interfere.

For me, it's a matter of personal choice and liberty. Both social conservatives and leftists both want to take those away and enforce THEIR brand of "what's right". We'd all be much better off if social conservatives and leftists would live their lives by example instead of using government to force other people to live they way the SCs and Leftists want.
Page 1 of 1

ilja's Corny Corner

A Doctor, A Lawyer, A Little Boy And A Priest
A doctor, a lawyer, a little boy and a priest were out for a Sunday afternoon flight on a small private plane. Suddenly, the plane developed engine trouble. In spite of the best efforts of the pilot, the plane started to go down. Finally, the pilot grabbed a parachute, yelled to the passengers that they had better jump, and then he bailed out.

Unfortunately, there were only three parachutes remaining. The doctor grabbed one and said "I'm a doctor, I save lives, so I must live," and jumped out.

The lawyer then said, "I'm a lawyer and lawyers are the smartest people in the world. I deserve to live." He also grabbed a parachute and jumped.

The priest looked at the little boy and said, "My son, I've lived a long and full life. You are young and have your whole life ahead of you. Take the last parachute and live in peace."

The little boy handed the parachute back to the priest and said, "Not to worry, Father. The 'smartest man in the world' just took off with my back pack."

link

2 user(s) viewing

2 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

ilja's Favorite RightNation Quotes

View Postspt, on 03 May 2011 - 05:32 PM, said:

I think maybe we should all go for a drink and ask for the new drink....it is called the Bin Laden...2 shots and a splash of water :drinkers: :drinkers:
http://i147.photobuc.../lmaosmiley.gif

View PostBrian Fellow, on 15 December 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Sorry was busy reading a tweet from an adamant 'pro-choice' person about gun control and 'how many children have to die before we do something'?

http://i147.photobuc...%202/anj_up.gif A perfect example of both irony and hypocrisy.

John Mauldin relates the details of a conversation he had with John Boehner, the Speaker of the House of Representatives.

At the :50 Maudlin describes Boehner telling him that Obama has,
“…balls made out of marshmallows…”

View PostSonofThunder, on 26 February 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

If that is true, why do we see Boehner continually backing down and rolling over while Obama stands firm and never compromises?

View PostGertie Keddle, on 26 February 2013 - 06:34 AM, said:

'Cause he's a Campfire Girl?
http://i147.photobuc...06/kneeslap.gif

NEVER FORGET!

Staff Sgt. Matt Maupin’s long road home ended Saturday in a blaze of yellow ribbons, the silent tribute of people who lined the roads, and the respect of thousands more who filed past his coffin at a public visitation . . . “If four people showed up, that’s OK with me,” said Keith Maupin, the soldier’s father, as he took a mid-afternoon break outside the Civic Center, where many came up to him to shake his hand or give him a hug . . . Matt Maupin became the face of the war in Iraq for thousands here and across the country in April 2004, when an Arab TV station aired a tape showing the Union Township soldier kneeling and surrounded by masked men carrying automatic rifles . . .Four years and millions of prayers later, a tip from an Iraqi citizen led U.S. soldiers to the farm area northwest of Baghdad where Matt Maupin’s remains were found on March 20 . . .Scoutmaster David Bacon said the boys of Troop 511 had been well aware of the story of Matt Maupin and wanted to pay their own tribute.“I’ve talked to them many times about Matt,” said Bacon, whose cousin, Lance Cpl. David Kreuter, was killed in Iraq in 2005. “They understand it was the sacrifice of young men like Matt that gives us the freedom to meet every Monday night. There are places in the world where Boy Scouting is not allowed.” http://i147.photobuc.../3yqo3h0.gifPFC Keith Matthew MaupinCaptured in IraqApril 9, 2004

We Owe Them So Much

http://i147.photobuc.../troopsspin.gifNever Mind the Cost by c.m.steppe ©2001 There's a young man far from home, Called in time of war; Sent to defend our freedom On some distant foreign shore. On some distant foreign shore. We pray You keep him safe, We pray You keep him strong, We pray You send him safely home ... For he's been away so long. For he's been away so long. There's a young woman far from home, Serving U.S.A. with pride. Her every step is strong and sure, Courage in every stride. Courage in every stride. We pray You keep her safe, We pray You keep her strong, We pray You send her safely home ... For she's been away too long. For she's been away too long. Bless those who wait their safe return. Bless those who mourn the lost. Bless those who serve this country well, Never mind the cost. Never mind the cost. God, Bless America!

Recent Entries

Disclaimer

Search My Blog

An Email From God?

I got this in an email today and though it doesn't say who wrote it, I don't doubt these things could have happened.'MEET ME IN THE STAIRWELL' You say you will never forget where you were when you heard the news On September 11, 2001. Neither will I. I was on the 110th floor in a smoke filled room with a man who called his wife to say 'Good-Bye.' I held his fingers steady as he dialed. I gave him the peace to say, 'Honey, I am not going to make it, but it is OK..I am ready to go.' I was with his wife when he called as she fed breakfast to their children. I held her up as she tried to understand his words and as she realized he wasn't coming home that night. I was in the stairwell of the 23rd floor when a woman cried out to Me for help. 'I have been knocking on the door of your heart for 50 years!' I said. 'Of course I will show you the way home - only believe in Me now.' I was at the base of the building with the Priest ministering to the injured and devastated souls. I took him home to tend to his Flock in Heaven. He heard my voice and answered. I was on all four of those planes, in every seat, with every prayer. I was with the crew as they were overtaken. I was in the very hearts of the believers there, comforting and assuring them that their faith has saved them. I was in Texas , Virginia , California , Michigan , Afghanistan ... I was standing next to you when you heard the terrible news. Did you sense Me? I want you to know that I saw every face. I knew every name - though not all know Me. Some met Me for the first time on the 86th floor. Some sought Me with their last breath. Some couldn't hear Me calling to them through the smoke and flames; 'Come to Me... this way... take my hand.' Some chose, for the final time, to ignore Me. But, I was there. I did not place you in the Tower that day. You may not know why, but I do. However, if you were there in that explosive moment in time, would you have reached for Me? Sept. 11, 2001, was not the end of the journey for you. But someday your journey will end. And I will be there for you as well. Seek Me now while I may be found. Then, at any moment, you know you are 'ready to go.' I will be in the stairwell of your final moments. God http://i147.photobuc...3/knowjesus.gif