RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: 20 Human Foods That Are Perfectly Safe to Feed Cats - RightNation.US

-----
20 Human Foods That Are Perfectly Safe to Feed Cats
Nat Berman+
Kittentoob Copyright © 2018
Source

As a loving cat-daddy, I appreciate this. However, to avoid food-related behavioral problems, DaGirls need to know the difference between "Daddy food" and the rare share-treats. You can mewl all you like but DO NOT try grab stuff off my plate. NO NO NO! (Looking at you, Lucy!) Unfortunately, most cats (and many humans) do not seem to understand the concept of "treats". Here's something to add to your Life Notebook:

If you do something for somebody once, they will expect it all the time.

Although cats like dairy products, consumption can result in loose (and extra stinky) stool. "Happy kitty milk and cheese" means extra effort at the litter box; go ahead, think about it.

I can't help but notice that some of the healthiest foods for humans are also okay for cats (fish, fresh fruits and veggies, whole grain bakery). But DUH, this is America, with an obesity epidemic and a multi-Big Mac President: "And gimmee a fried fish sammich with extra tartar and cheese; I'm watching my cholesterol." I train my girls to stay out of the garbage and then they see that?! Yeesh!

I've almost entirely cut red meat from my diet, and I don't share pork. But on the rare occasions that I can pull away some unseasoned poultry "trimmings", DaGirls get some of that. It's always a BRIBE: "I give you this with the understanding that you will never stand between my eyes and the television or computer monitor screens, and will not trample-to-wake me in bed before 7AM on weekdays or 9AM on weekends… OKAY?"

Mew mew mew ("okay")… *gobble gobble lick lick*… ("wake up and look at me; I want MORE!")

2 Comments On This Entry

I've TRIED to get our cat to eat "Pappa Cat" food; Not exactly MY food, but food prepared by me. I wanted to do our own cat food to most closely match what they would eat naturally. It was an abject failure.

- She loves to catch birds and eat them. She even once caught a blue jay, who are generally known as "mean" birds, and more than once I've had to distract her from (almost) catching a cardinal. So, okay, chicken is a bird, isn't it? Except that she won't touch it, either raw or cooked.

- Likewise, liver of any sort (chicken, beef, etc), again either raw or cooked. Now, what carnivore DOESN'T like liver??? Well, I can name one.

- Ditto with seafood. We have the one cat in all of history that doesn't eat fish or seafood.

What DOES she like? No, not IAMS or Purina or any of the big names, but "Pet Pride" brand sold at the dollar store. It must be like the Big Mac of cat food. And I thought we raised her better than that.

"Treats"? Every christmas, she gets a present too. Usually some hoity-toity cat treat that she ignores; She has more fun with the piece of yarn that's it's wrapped with.

Dean Adam Smithee, on 26 March 2018 - 05:45 PM, said:

I've TRIED to get our cat to eat "Pappa Cat" food; Not exactly MY food, but food prepared by me. I wanted to do our own cat food to most closely match what they would eat naturally. It was an abject failure.

- She loves to catch birds and eat them. She even once caught a blue jay, who are generally known as "mean" birds, and more than once I've had to distract her from (almost) catching a cardinal. So, okay, chicken is a bird, isn't it? Except that she won't touch it, either raw or cooked.

- Likewise, liver of any sort (chicken, beef, etc), again either raw or cooked. Now, what carnivore DOESN'T like liver??? Well, I can name one.

- Ditto with seafood. We have the one cat in all of history that doesn't eat fish or seafood.

What DOES she like? No, not IAMS or Purina or any of the big names, but "Pet Pride" brand sold at the dollar store. It must be like the Big Mac of cat food. And I thought we raised her better than that.

"Treats"? Every christmas, she gets a present too. Usually some hoity-toity cat treat that she ignores; She has more fun with the piece of yarn that's it's wrapped with.

Is she (or was her mama) a feral rescue? Even if not, I admire the (apparent) desire for self-sufficiency. (Of course, the local wildlife would likely disagree.) Does she go for little grounded vermin as well?

She sounds like a real character!

:smile:
Page 1 of 1