RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Trumbull Co. sheriff’s deputies pull over Amish buggy with stereo syst - RightNation.US

Trumbull Co. sheriff’s deputies pull over Amish buggy with stereo syst Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is online   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 17 September 2019 - 10:47 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 17 September 2019 - 08:04 PM, said:

I dunno about Ohio, But in Indiana buggies are exempt. Because the law is written such that ANTYHING under 'x' horsepower is exempt. And what are buggies? Like - LITERALLY - 2 Horse Power or so?

In Indiana there's what's called DUI scooters - Pronounced "Dewey Scooters". If you get your license yanked for DUI, you can only drive 'exempt' vehicles on public roads, those under 'x' HP. I think it's 5 HP but I could be wrong. And you're not allowed on interstates; there's a minimum hp for interstates.

If you drive through Indiana and see middle age guys on Vespas putt-putt-ing down a country road, that's your typical "Dewey Scooter". And I've got several uncles and cousins that between them all probably kept the central Indiana Vespa dealership in business.

Here by in large if it has an engine, or a seat and can carry your but from point a to point b it's a motor vehicle. There have been cases where people received D.W.I/D.U.I's on riding mowers. And, if your license has been yanked you cannot operate anything on public roadway, not even riding mower. As well of coarse they aren't legal to drive on a roadway so you get the idea. Sadly it's not at all uncommon to read about 7,8,9 or even more time offenders getting busted yet again. Only solution is jail.

#22 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:30 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 17 September 2019 - 08:04 PM, said:

I dunno about Ohio, But in Indiana buggies are exempt. Because the law is written such that ANTYHING under 'x' horsepower is exempt. And what are buggies? Like - LITERALLY - 2 Horse Power or so?

In Indiana there's what's called DUI scooters - Pronounced "Dewey Scooters". If you get your license yanked for DUI, you can only drive 'exempt' vehicles on public roads, those under 'x' HP. I think it's 5 HP but I could be wrong. And you're not allowed on interstates; there's a minimum hp for interstates.

If you drive through Indiana and see middle age guys on Vespas putt-putt-ing down a country road, that's your typical "Dewey Scooter". And I've got several uncles and cousins that between them all probably kept the central Indiana Vespa dealership in business.

In Ohio, OVI (our DUI) applies to all vehicles, street cars, and trackless trolleys. Vehicle in this case is defined as:

"Vehicles" means everything on wheels or runners, including motorized bicycles, but does not mean electric personal assistive mobility devices, vehicles that are operated exclusively on rails or tracks or from overhead electric trolley wires, and vehicles that belong to any police department, municipal fire department, or volunteer fire department, or that are used by such a department in the discharge of its functions.

This does in fact include horse-drawn vehicles, which is what an Amish buggy is.

#23 User is online   Coach 

• Coach
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 18 September 2019 - 01:28 PM

Eighty years ago Holmes County was the center of Ohio's Amish community and they spread from there all over the midwest. I grew up in Millersburg, Ohio, went to school with Amish kids up to the 8th grade when they would drop out. Their parents made sure the kids failed enough and were absent enough to be 16 by the end of 7th grade. Mom always bought our Thanksgiving turkey and Christmas goose from an Amish lady. We also bought fresh cream, fruit and vegetables from Amish farmers.

Amish kids are just as adventurous as any kids and more of them "break over" today than in my youth. Not necessarily progress.

#24 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 02:55 PM

View PostLadybird, on 17 September 2019 - 02:09 PM, said:

Is it illegal to operate a horse and buggy while drinking? I wonder what drew the cops attention. Couldn’t have been speeding.

Could have been the stereo. I've heard of guys being cited for operating motorized wheelchairs while under the influence, but never this.

Unless the beer was for the horses...

This post has been edited by Hieronymous: 18 September 2019 - 02:56 PM

#25 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:13 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 18 September 2019 - 02:55 PM, said:

Could have been the stereo. I've heard of guys being cited for operating motorized wheelchairs while under the influence, but never this.

Unless the beer was for the horses...

I’m curious what kind of tunes they were playing. Passing a horse and buggy, late at night, with some Geto Boys cranking out the back would be an interesting encounter.

#26 User is online   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:21 PM

Many moons ago we did a tour of the Amish community near Bonduel Wisconsin. Was very interesting and learned alot.
At the end was a chance to talk with one of the village elders, Q & A type of thing. His response was that they where quite a bit more liberal than most Amish communities and that's why things such as air compressors(compressed gas powered), refrigerators(also CG), electric lights in the General Store(Lithium Battery Powered), Cash Registers where okay.
As we where wrapping up the tour and people where boarding the bus I jokingly said to the man it's kinda' interesting to hear you use the term liberal to describe yourselves. For someone like me to hear it is.... a bit different. He understood exactly where i was coming from got a big smile and chuckle out of it.
Do not think that Amish people are un aware of the world outside or completely cut off or back water. I see Amish at the local home improvement stores, Wal Mart and such from time to time.

The other amusing encounter was at the Wal Mart West Mason pharmacy a few years back. I saw an older gent there with some ladies who I assumed to be his daughter and wife. I asked if by chance they where from the Bonduel community and spoke about how we did the tour a few years back and that it was a very interesting and good experience. We spoke a bit more and I asked so what brought them here?
They where getting a prescription filled, his son in law was in hospital because of an eye injury. He said a number of times of how this really sucks!!!! I cringed at the thought of the injury, but agreed and wished his son in law the best. To hear an Amish gent much less an older one speak like that was... how should I say unusual, but at the same let's a person know many Amish may not exactly be what you think.

#27 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:45 PM

View PostLadybird, on 18 September 2019 - 03:13 PM, said:

I’m curious what kind of tunes they were playing. Passing a horse and buggy, late at night, with some Geto Boys cranking out the back would be an interesting encounter.

When I was in high school in the early 90's, that's basically what it was. Imagine sitting out in the country at a farm house and listening to old school 90's gangster rap, played on an expensive sound system with huge subs, in a buggy going 3 miles an hour down the road. You'd hear whole albums by the time they got out of ear shot

#28 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 18 September 2019 - 03:50 PM

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DTMe49pXcAAMWX9.jpg

#29 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:03 PM

View Postoki, on 18 September 2019 - 03:21 PM, said:

Many moons ago we did a tour of the Amish community near Bonduel Wisconsin. Was very interesting and learned alot.
At the end was a chance to talk with one of the village elders, Q & A type of thing. His response was that they where quite a bit more liberal than most Amish communities and that's why things such as air compressors(compressed gas powered), refrigerators(also CG), electric lights in the General Store(Lithium Battery Powered), Cash Registers where okay.
As we where wrapping up the tour and people where boarding the bus I jokingly said to the man it's kinda' interesting to hear you use the term liberal to describe yourselves. For someone like me to hear it is.... a bit different. He understood exactly where i was coming from got a big smile and chuckle out of it.
Do not think that Amish people are un aware of the world outside or completely cut off or back water. I see Amish at the local home improvement stores, Wal Mart and such from time to time.

The other amusing encounter was at the Wal Mart West Mason pharmacy a few years back. I saw an older gent there with some ladies who I assumed to be his daughter and wife. I asked if by chance they where from the Bonduel community and spoke about how we did the tour a few years back and that it was a very interesting and good experience. We spoke a bit more and I asked so what brought them here?
They where getting a prescription filled, his son in law was in hospital because of an eye injury. He said a number of times of how this really sucks!!!! I cringed at the thought of the injury, but agreed and wished his son in law the best. To hear an Amish gent much less an older one speak like that was... how should I say unusual, but at the same let's a person know many Amish may not exactly be what you think.

One of the larger Amish/Mennonite communities is in Shipshewana, Indiana. Went there about 20 years ago and it was pretty commercial. The furniture store, curio shops, even a fast food joint. Even back then, you could see tractors on the farms and phone lines on some of the houses.

#30 User is online   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:04 PM

View PostModerator T, on 18 September 2019 - 03:45 PM, said:

When I was in high school in the early 90's, that's basically what it was. Imagine sitting out in the country at a farm house and listening to old school 90's gangster rap, played on an expensive sound system with huge subs, in a buggy going 3 miles an hour down the road. You'd hear whole albums by the time they got out of ear shot

Always curious how they charged the batteries though. Plus, without an alternator to charge the system you won't get much play time either. 2 maybe three hours, give or take, but probably much less.

#31 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

Q - Why was the Amish woman kicked out of the church?

A - She was having two Mennonite.

:coolshades:

#32 User is online   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 18 September 2019 - 04:11 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 18 September 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

One of the larger Amish/Mennonite communities is in Shipshewana, Indiana. Went there about 20 years ago and it was pretty commercial. The furniture store, curio shops, even a fast food joint. Even back then, you could see tractors on the farms and phone lines on some of the houses.

What I learned is that many Amish will buy homes that are completely modern with electrical service, running water and such, but simply don't have it turned on. They also build houses to code as well should they decide to sell them. As far as the commercial aspects, oh absolutely, furniture, goods, and such are a big source of income. Even here there is a Amish furniture store.
Has an old buggy in front and everything.

#33 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:34 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/01/ff/00/01ff003f22fd4cd9ec2d819dbcbb80b3.jpg

#34 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2019 - 05:35 PM

https://shareitsfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/amish-elevator.jpg

#35 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:40 PM

View Postoki, on 18 September 2019 - 04:11 PM, said:

What I learned is that many Amish will buy homes that are completely modern with electrical service, running water and such, but simply don't have it turned on. They also build houses to code as well should they decide to sell them. As far as the commercial aspects, oh absolutely, furniture, goods, and such are a big source of income. Even here there is a Amish furniture store.
Has an old buggy in front and everything.

Their furniture pricey but well made. There's a lot of places here and along the border to PA that they have set up shops.

#36 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:42 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 18 September 2019 - 05:35 PM, said:

https://shareitsfunny.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/amish-elevator.jpg

:lol: Nice!

#37 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2019 - 06:48 PM