RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: I am railing: Sir Rod Stewart reveals his epic model railway city - RightNation.US

I am railing: Sir Rod Stewart reveals his epic model railway city Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:41 PM

I am railing: Sir Rod Stewart reveals his epic model railway city

7 hours ago

Excerpt:
He's one of rock's biggest stars, but Sir Rod Stewart has finally revealed the fruits of his other great passion - model railways.

In between making music and playing live, Sir Rod has been working on a massive, intricate model of a US city for the past 23 years.

He unveiled it as part of an interview with Railway Modeller magazine.

He then phoned in to Jeremy Vine's BBC Radio 2 show to rebuff the host's suggestion he had not built it himself.

"I would say 90% of it I built myself," he insisted. "The only thing I wasn't very good at and still am not is the electricals, so I had someone else do that."

Sir Rod has released 13 studio albums and been on 19 tours during the time it took to build the city, which is modelled on both New York and Chicago around 1945.

"A lot of people laugh at it being a silly hobby, but it's a wonderful hobby," he said.

He told Railway Modeller he worked on the skyscrapers and other scenery while on tour, requesting an extra room for his constructions in his hotels.

"We would tell them in advance and they were really accommodating, taking out the beds and providing fans to improve air circulation and ventilation," he said.

The scenery and structures are his forte, rather than the locomotives and tracks. "I find beauty in what everyone else sees as ugly - rugged skyscrapers, beaten-up warehouses, things that are very run down."

Photos of the layout show dozens of highly detailed buildings plus bridges, ships, vegetation and streets teeming with vintage cars and taxis.

"When I take on something creative like this, I have to give it 110%," he said. "For me it's addictive. I started, so I just had to finish. I'm lucky I had the room. If I'd have realised at the start it would have taken so long, I'd have probably said, 'No! No! Nah!'"

<snip>

More awesome pics

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/976/cpsprodpb/1521A/production/_109645568_photo-by-steve-crise-_2007-.jpg

#2 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:02 PM

Very cool.

It looks like he has pathways for the cars, the yellow cabs, and pedestrians.

#3 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:24 PM

Good show, LB. I was going to post this myself

#4 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 13 November 2019 - 05:39 PM

Dayam!

#5 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 13 November 2019 - 07:12 PM

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Never really a "fan" of Rod Stewart but a HUGE fan of Rail, both real and model.

#6 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:22 PM

Rod Stewart would work on a piece for his model in a hotel room while on tour then have it shipped to his home in England? I never knew that he was that eccentric.

#7 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 13 November 2019 - 08:52 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 13 November 2019 - 07:12 PM, said:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Never really a "fan" of Rod Stewart but a HUGE fan of Rail, both real and model.

I'm not either, but I would consider the Every Picture Tells A Story album a personal desert island disc.

View Postgravelrash, on 13 November 2019 - 08:22 PM, said:

Rod Stewart would work on a piece for his model in a hotel room while on tour then have it shipped to his home in England? I never knew that he was that eccentric.

Better than destroying hotel rooms.

#8 User is offline   gravelrash 

Posted 13 November 2019 - 09:11 PM

View PostLadybird, on 13 November 2019 - 08:52 PM, said:

I'm not either, but I would consider the Every Picture Tells A Story album a personal desert island disc.

I still want my big exit from the runway to be this song. Except drum only with backing vocals.

Look how wrong you can be
I sincerely thought that I was the quee-eee-een!

Boom boom bash, boom boom bash!

Mmm...

That's a great twist.

#9 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang

Posted 14 November 2019 - 04:51 AM

That is awesome.

#10 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:59 AM

Hmmmmm.....

If ya' want my choo choo come on baby let me know wo o ....

Very cool, everyone has got to have a safe and health way to escape. Having a fruit of your labor is an added bonus. And, on top of it this is an absolutely top notch creation.

#11 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:44 AM

I like the fact he strives for a gritty, dirty, run down reality. That's hard to accomplish with such things, most people do them up too pristine. Back as a kid when I built models and made dioramas with them, mainly WWII vehicles and planes, I tried to weather them and make them look like real combat vehicles. A lot tougher than just spray painting them so they look like they just rolled off the assembly line. The photos of his layouts are impressive.

#12 User is offline   Howsithangin 

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:17 PM

I wasn't until I saw him in concert (free tickets) some 25 years ago. Simply amazing! 2 hours of just him, nonstop.

#13 User is offline   Howsithangin 

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:19 PM

View PostSeverian, on 14 November 2019 - 11:44 AM, said:

I like the fact he strives for a gritty, dirty, run down reality. That's hard to accomplish with such things, most people do them up too pristine. Back as a kid when I built models and made dioramas with them, mainly WWII vehicles and planes, I tried to weather them and make them look like real combat vehicles. A lot tougher than just spray painting them so they look like they just rolled off the assembly line. The photos of his layouts are impressive.

:exactly:

I'm assembling all the pieces and parts to a WWII Eastern Front diorama, with military vehicles, planes and railway cars. The military vehicles are being painted in winter camo, and the railway cars in "distressed" colors

#14 User is offline   gravelrash 

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:28 PM

View PostSeverian, on 14 November 2019 - 11:44 AM, said:

Dry-brush technique for wear and weathering. Fire and a quick puncture with a Phillip's head screwdriver to simulate shelling.

#15 User is offline   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:38 PM

Yeah, Iím with you there.

View PostHowsithangin, on 14 November 2019 - 09:19 PM, said:

:exactly:

I'm assembling all the pieces and parts to a WWII Eastern Front diorama, with military vehicles, planes and railway cars. The military vehicles are being painted in winter camo, and the railway cars in "distressed" colors

1/35 or 1/72?

#16 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:38 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 14 November 2019 - 09:28 PM, said:

Dry-brush technique for wear and weathering. Fire and a quick puncture with a Phillip's head screwdriver to simulate shelling.

Dry-brush is difficult to master. I've tried; it ends up looking like something produced by an epileptic second-grader.

#17 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:47 PM

View PostBuckwheat Jones, on 14 November 2019 - 09:38 PM, said:

1/35 or 1/72?

Used to be a fan of HO (1/87); You could do a LOT on a tabletop made from a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood. These days, leaning more towards 'G' gauge.

#18 User is offline   gravelrash 

Posted 14 November 2019 - 10:06 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 14 November 2019 - 09:38 PM, said:

Dry-brush is difficult to master. I've tried; it ends up looking like something produced by an epileptic second-grader.

If I had pictures to post. Except my D&D miniatures are lost and my appliques were actually crushed by the moving truck years ago. Don't start me down that path.

Dry-brush is my specialty. The technique is in the thinness of the paint itself. Mash and spin the brush head until it's a flat circle. Either dip half of the brush into the paint then flick the excess dry. Or pour the paint onto standard paper then dab the flattened brush.

Use the excess paint and same brush on the next miniature or even fingernails. It's a workable alternative to fingernail polish when mixed with clear-coat protector.

Air versus heat dry will affect results.

#19 User is offline   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>

Posted 15 November 2019 - 01:32 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 14 November 2019 - 09:47 PM, said:

Used to be a fan of HO (1/87); You could do a LOT on a tabletop made from a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood. These days, leaning more towards 'G' gauge.

For armor Iím a 1/72 guy. Trains, Iím n scale. My world is going together on a 4x4 table. G is Lionel, isnít it?

#20 User is offline   Howsithangin 

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:55 AM

View PostBuckwheat Jones, on 14 November 2019 - 09:38 PM, said:

Yeah, Iím with you there.

1/35 or 1/72?

1/72.. I'm limited on space

I find it very...soothing? Im only painting individual vehicles and such right now, as I anticipate moving back to the mainland in about 3 years.

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users