RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Proposed Missouri book ban could jail librarians for loaning 'inap - RightNation.US

Proposed Missouri book ban could jail librarians for loaning 'inap Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   oki 

• Always in our Hearts Rei Chan 8-30-2006 3-23-2020
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:29 PM

View PostLadybird, on 03 February 2020 - 03:55 PM, said:

Is Guns and Ammo banned in public libraries?

The link I posted explains what is and is not permitted in public libraries. You want Hustler and Playboy available for free, take it up with your local legislator.

Public religious displays on government property have nothing to do with THIS story and ‘gay’ is not a religion. I personally don’t care either way what is displayed at the county courthouse, but allowing one means everyone’s religion will have to be represented. Could have unexpected results.
https://www.npr.org/...or-the-holidays

Again, if displaying, having or otherwise making a nativity scene available IN A PUBLIC PLACE is an endorsement of religion and a violation of separation of church and state then ANY BOOK OR MATERIAL CAN BE VIEWED AS AN ENDORSEMENT OF WHAT EVER THAT PUBLICATION REPRESENTS. Guns and ammo is a perfect example because it would be viewed by those who are anti gun as a local gov endorsing guns and promoting gun violence. Just as a Christian group could say that carrying books which deal with Homosexuality could be viewed as endorsing Homosexuality, just as a vegan could say that a cook book which has recipes to cook any type of meet could be endorsing a meet diet. Get it know? ANYONE FOR ANY REASON COULD SAY THAT THE LIBRARY IS ENDORSING SOMETHING OR ANOTHER.

#22 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:26 PM

View Postoki, on 03 February 2020 - 05:29 PM, said:

Again, if displaying, having or otherwise making a nativity scene available IN A PUBLIC PLACE is an endorsement of religion and a violation of separation of church and state then ANY BOOK OR MATERIAL CAN BE VIEWED AS AN ENDORSEMENT OF WHAT EVER THAT PUBLICATION REPRESENTS. Guns and ammo is a perfect example because it would be viewed by those who are anti gun as a local gov endorsing guns and promoting gun violence. Just as a Christian group could say that carrying books which deal with Homosexuality could be viewed as endorsing Homosexuality, just as a vegan could say that a cook book which has recipes to cook any type of meet could be endorsing a meet diet. Get it know? ANYONE FOR ANY REASON COULD SAY THAT THE LIBRARY IS ENDORSING SOMETHING OR ANOTHER.

I checked a few library sources (Houston for one) and Gunns & Ammo magazine was available.
Bibles of all kinds and other religious materials are available in the library. What are you going on about? Religion is not banned from the library. Want your kids to read bible stories and nothing else? Go for it. If you don't want them reading at all, go for it.
Let other people make the decisions that are best for their own children.

#23 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:07 PM

View PostLadybird, on 02 February 2020 - 07:47 PM, said:

So 5 parents (appointed by whom it is not clear) should be able dictate what is acceptable to every other parent?
That public money is being paid by everyone, not just conservatives. What other ideas will these appointed guardians find inappropriate? When I was a kid it was books by Judy Blume. God forbid a confused kid, who has no one to turn to, be able to lose (or find) him or herself by curling up with a book from the library.

How about the parents who don't want their kids reading books they find inappropriate say no if the kid wants to check one out?

Not so much dictating what is "acceptable", but what is "UNacceptable". There's gotta be a line in the sand somewhere.

Yes, 5 duly elected citizens (Or duly appointed by someone who was duly elected). That's what being a "Representative Republic" is all about; we were never supposed to be a Democracy.

#24 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:14 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 03 February 2020 - 07:07 PM, said:

Not so much dictating what is "acceptable", but what is "UNacceptable". There's gotta be a line in the sand somewhere.

Yes, 5 duly elected citizens (Or duly appointed by someone who was duly elected). That's what being a "Representative Republic" is all about; we were never supposed to be a Democracy.

If that line in the sand includes works by Kurt Vonnegut, Ken Kesey, Judy Blume, Joyce Carol Oates, and Toni Morrison, among other, it's all good, right?

#25 User is online   ASE 

• You do NOT have a right to NOT BE OFFENDED!!
  • View gallery

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:23 PM

Maybe they just want to ban the 'Bible' and any similar books, and this would be a way to do it - and, in the meantime, make exceptions for books they like, but that still take definitive stances on such issues.

#26 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:03 PM

View PostLadybird, on 03 February 2020 - 07:14 PM, said:

If that line in the sand includes works by Kurt Vonnegut, Ken Kesey, Judy Blume, Joyce Carol Oates, and Toni Morrison, among other, it's all good, right?

If *I* were on the panel? Only one I'd look askance at in a library - especially a school library - would be maybe Ken Kesey because some of his stuff was a bit too drug-oriented. On the other hand, If I banned Kesey, I'd also have to ban Burroughs' Naked Lunch and Kerouac's On The Road so maybe not.

I'm talking about stuff that is clearly over the line. For instance (Back in my day):

Just about anything by Harold Robbins.

Just about anything by Jackie Collins.

Jacqueline Suzanne's "Valley of these Dolls".

Erica Jong's "Fear of Flying"

You know, your basic "trash" novels. These days, probably 50 shades of grey.

And/or anything of the sort. Yeah, sure, read them if you want, on YOUR nickel, but why should public money be spent helping you get there?

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 03 February 2020 - 08:04 PM

#27 User is offline   oki 

• Always in our Hearts Rei Chan 8-30-2006 3-23-2020
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:25 AM

View PostLadybird, on 03 February 2020 - 03:55 PM, said:

Is Guns and Ammo banned in public libraries?

The link I posted explains what is and is not permitted in public libraries. You want Hustler and Playboy available for free, take it up with your local legislator.

Public religious displays on government property have nothing to do with THIS story and ‘gay’ is not a religion. I personally don’t care either way what is displayed at the county courthouse, but allowing one means everyone’s religion will have to be represented. Could have unexpected results.
https://www.npr.org/...or-the-holidays

Coarse you would find Guns and Ammo in Houston, think you will find it in N.Y.C. or Chicago? Or would someone be 'offended' or would someone think it means they are promoting Gun Violence?
JUST LIKE THE IDEA THAT A NATIVITY SCENE ON PUBLIC PROPERTY IS PROMOTING RELIGION!

Again, that's the rub. If the idea that displaying a religious symbol or artifact on public property is in fact supporting or endorsing religion, THEN THE EXACT SAME ARGUMENT CAN BE MADE ABOUT ANY MATERIAL IN A PUBLIC LIBRARY. After all, both are tax payer supported, and both are public property. Funny in a way that the same library cannot display a nativity scene on a book shelf, BUT, having a book about Nativity scenes are the very same book shelf just under where the scene would be is okay. Just using leftist logic here about how EVERYTHING can be banned.
As far as banning certain books, it's a hell of a slippery slope. There has to be some standards after all. You can't just have a free for all anything goes in a public library anymore than in than you can in any public space. Problem is that since you can ban one thing in a public space because some people view it's promoting something, the same argument can be made for libraries or anything else that's taxpayer supported.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users