RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Space X Docking More Important than the Moon Landing? - RightNation.US

-----
Ace thinks it is:

It's slightly mad to build a private spacecraft simply to prove you can do so.

But it's such madnesses that advance the world into new directions.

The Wright Brothers were mad, too. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were kind of mad hobbyists -- who the hell really needs a computer at home?

Crazy stuff, and it will never, ever find any sort of traction in society, except for some nutty people who want to jerk around with it as a hobby.

Except... that's not what happened.

Now I think that spaceflight is even more crazy than those two things, but then, it's not the guy who says "What's the point? Let's not do anything" who winds up in the history books.

Video of the moment -- which I think is actually more important than the moon landing -- at Hot Air.

Time will tell, obviously, but I think he mistakes importance with significance. While the Dragon capsule docking with the ISS could eventually be seen as the moment private space flight opened up a whole new, unimaginable even my sci-fi writers, era of exploration and prosperity, the moon landing will forever be loaded with meaning.

It's the first time humans ever set foot on a heavenly body other than Earth, and it also served as a crushing victory over the Soviets in the Cold War.

I think you have to separate the way the two events are viewed. Right now, it appears that the Russians are having the last laugh because we're having to hitch rides with them. But are they? We beat them when they were at the height of their "progress". We proved that we could do better what they do best. There's nothing really to prove at this point. The game is over.

What should really illustrate our superiority over their system (even if they've shed the Marxists labels, they're still Russians)is that we have private citizens now accomplishing what their government and our government is doing. And that is hugely important.

But nothing will ever rival the moon landing in terms of significance.

My Mind is Clean

5 Comments On This Entry

More importantly, they also came back home safely.

cobalt-blue, on 27 May 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

That's a big part of it. I'm sure the Soviets would have been happy to just get them there.

Of course, I don't see how living on the moon the rest of your life is any worse than living in Siberia. They probably would have welcomed the freedom.

Mr. Naron, on 27 May 2012 - 01:58 PM, said:

cobalt-blue, on 27 May 2012 - 01:52 PM, said:

That's a big part of it. I'm sure the Soviets would have been happy to just get them there.Of course, I don't see how living on the moon the rest of your life is any worse than living in Siberia. They probably would have welcomed the freedom.

Right up until the oxygen ran out. After that, not so much.
Not more important, but it demonstrates that the individual is what conquers, NOT the Nation. America is a nation of individuals that band together to accomplish greatness, we have forgotten that and are left simmering in our own failure for that reason, while we accept our own money stolen from us as payment to do it by dishonest snake oil salesmen who seek power and riches. It would do us well to remember that Wilbur and Orville were extraordinary individuals that can come from our nation if we continue to insure our freedom.
Let’s not forget that the dragon is subsidized by the government… (they have a contract and, umm, guess what it was carrying)… so it’s not quite the free market entrepreneurial stepping-stone that some seem to believe. Yes it is significant but hey… if the ISS wasn’t there this would be no more special than another weather satellite.
Page 1 of 1

6 user(s) viewing

6 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

New Blogroll! And...World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Blog Roll
Ace of Spades
National Review
Got News
RealClearPolitics
ZeroHedge
The Federalist
African American Conservatives
Instapundit

World's Shortest Movie Reviews
American Sniper: Bradly Cooper=Best Actor
The Arroyo: Had a Pureflix feel to the acting, but well shot. Great conservative movie.
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: As usual, the third installment is the best--having an ending really helped.
The Maze Runner: The perfect metaphor for moving to Detroit.
Dumb and Dumber To: More jokes. Cruder jokes. Someone gets hooked on crack.
Snowpiercer: Joe Biden's idea of heaven. Everyone on the Earth living on a train. Captain America admits he was going to eat Billy Elliot.
Hunger Games: Catching Fire: This is what the world would look like without college football.
Interstellar 2001:A Space Odyssey with a soul. You will get very thirsty, so hydrate before viewing.
When the Game Stands Tall Proves my theory that it's worse when you win.
Guardians of the Galaxy Make a fun adventure movie about space and make a ton of money. Who knew? I mean, besides that Lucas guy.
Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.