RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Peter Fonda died. - RightNation.US

Peter Fonda died. Rate Topic: -----

#61 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 18 August 2019 - 02:29 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 17 August 2019 - 10:46 PM, said:

Never seen it. Pretty bad, huh?

100% crap.

Well yeah, LOL, there are some colorful road names. In my chapter alone we have Sawed-Off, Cannonball, Rockslide, Pack Rat, Troll, Shotgun, Fonebone, Yosemite Sam, Grump and lots more. My own road name is Gizzard. And there's a true story behind every one of those names.

And there's even the occasional naked chick.

But no, I don't remember any bongos or flutes.

:coolshades:

The two names I mentioned are in almost every Roger Corman style, low budget biker movie.

I'm not talking about a chick getting naked at the biker party. Almost every kind of party has a potential naked chick. I'm pointing out how phony the so-called "FREAK OUT" scene looks in almost every biker movie of the era. The straight, usually blonde hot girl takes acid and FREAKS OUT! While the Eyeball, Animal and Gangrene laugh too loud through a bunch of jump cuts to make the it look from the young waif's point of view as confusion. While other members of the club pour beer and wine(?) all over each other and laugh. There is usually NAZI paraphernalia hanging on the walls over a beat up sofa, etc.

While all this is happening, there is always some "biker" in a burlap shirt painting flowers on a naked or near naked chick. Instead of current rock music playing on the soundtrack, (Music rights cost money.) the director tracks in public domain bongos beating while a flute music noodles around.

Sometimes the innocent chick is raped, sometimes she has sex voluntarily. It depends on if the audience is supposed to like the bikers or not. Most of the time, she is raped though because there are few movies where all the members are sympathetic. Often, we are supposed to like the leader because he's a tragic, Shakespearian character. He's usually educated, strong and handsome, just slightly Hollywood type flawed. He usually has a straight name. Animal is big and dumb, Spike is a psycho who wants to take over the club, etc...

Now as I told you years ago, I have been drinking several times with members of the local club but, of course I have never been to any kind of party at the clubhouse. However, I don't imagine there is too much flute music or body painting. Your club members are individuals, not "types". That's why biker movies (and TV shows) are so dumb.

This post has been edited by Magic Rat: 18 August 2019 - 02:30 PM

#62 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:28 PM

View PostJoe the Pagan, on 18 August 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

Off topic, but it sounds similar to the fact that people are surprised I don't like The Big Bang Theory.

They brag about having experts to make sure the science is correct. The errors in the fandom parts can get cringe worthy. They are not really nerd reference, but pop culture references. I have seen it described as written by jocks using Wikipedia.

Not a fan of BBT either. And I'm MS-Applied Physics. And have lived in Portland Oregon. And worked at "Ground Zero": Intel Corporation.

I can state with considerable authority: In my 10 years contracting to Intel, '02-'12, I never ONCE met anyone even remotely resembling a character from BBT.

#63 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:31 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 18 August 2019 - 02:29 PM, said:

100% crap.

The two names I mentioned are in almost every Roger Corman style, low budget biker movie.

I'm not talking about a chick getting naked at the biker party. Almost every kind of party has a potential naked chick. I'm pointing out how phony the so-called "FREAK OUT" scene looks in almost every biker movie of the era. The straight, usually blonde hot girl takes acid and FREAKS OUT! While the Eyeball, Animal and Gangrene laugh too loud through a bunch of jump cuts to make the it look from the young waif's point of view as confusion. While other members of the club pour beer and wine(?) all over each other and laugh. There is usually NAZI paraphernalia hanging on the walls over a beat up sofa, etc.

While all this is happening, there is always some "biker" in a burlap shirt painting flowers on a naked or near naked chick. Instead of current rock music playing on the soundtrack, (Music rights cost money.) the director tracks in public domain bongos beating while a flute music noodles around.

Sometimes the innocent chick is raped, sometimes she has sex voluntarily. It depends on if the audience is supposed to like the bikers or not. Most of the time, she is raped though because there are few movies where all the members are sympathetic. Often, we are supposed to like the leader because he's a tragic, Shakespearian character. He's usually educated, strong and handsome, just slightly Hollywood type flawed. He usually has a straight name. Animal is big and dumb, Spike is a psycho who wants to take over the club, etc...

Now as I told you years ago, I have been drinking several times with members of the local club but, of course I have never been to any kind of party at the clubhouse. However, I don't imagine there is too much flute music or body painting. Your club members are individuals, not "types". That's why biker movies (and TV shows) are so dumb.

Wow, you pegged damn near every detail. I mean the cheesy movie details of course, not necessarily the actual real-life "biker lifestyle" stuff, which is mostly just as boring and routine as everybody else's lifestyles. Most of us are neither heroes nor villains, neither alcoholics nor teetotalers, neither rapists nor choirboys, neither violent nor pacifists, neither geniuses nor morons.

For the most part we're just ordinary guys who love motorcycles, and naturally tend to hang around with other guys who love motorcycles too. Just as guys who love fishing tend to hang out with other fishermen, guys who watch a lot of football tend to watch in large groups, guys who play guitar tend to seek out other musicians to jam with, etc. It's no different with guys who love to ride motorcycles.

:shrug:

#64 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 18 August 2019 - 04:02 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 18 August 2019 - 02:29 PM, said:

I trust that I don't need to point out that I am a former barfighter, but instead will politely suggest: Don't disrespect Roger Corman, y'all.

Roger Corman is a deity in B-movies. Don't take them too seriously, and they're a hoot. I'll take any given Corman B-movie of the '6o/'70s over ANY Hollywood blockbuster these days. Hollywood these days has a stick up it's ass and is way too "preachy". F### that, give me a bucket of popcorn and a good Corman flick with an exploding helicopter and maybe even some topless chicks, We could make an evening of it.

One of the best, and YES, including the requisite exploding helicopter :

#65 User is online   tailgunner 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 18 August 2019 - 06:38 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 17 August 2019 - 07:41 PM, said:

Sure, I understand how expensive Harleys are. But that's just it: If you can't afford the material necessary to make a serious movie, you can't expect that movie to be taken seriously.

For example let's suppose you wanted to make a western. A good western; a realistic western. Would you put the characters on stick horses and give them plastic squirt guns and have them holler "Bang Bang"? Of course you wouldn't. You'd want real horses and real saddles and realistic-looking guns, right? But now suppose you just plain haven't got enough money for all that stuff. What do you do...?

Me, I'd figure out another project.

Yeah I know. And it sucks. When you are a biker...a real biker in real life...those portrayals are insulting and contemptible. Comedy movies, where nobody is expected to take the idiot "bikers" seriously, are one thing. A good example would be Every Which Way But Loose, LOL, where the "bikers" are intended to be comic relief, deliberately hammed-up overblown clichés purely for comic effect.

It's another thing entirely when it's supposed to be a serious movie presenting realistic characters and circumstances. Don't put a bunch of hippies & beatniks on a bunch of Hondas & Yamahas and expect anybody to buy the premise that these guys are real-live "outlaw bikers".

Most Iron Horsemen? Or most of their parties? Or just most bikers in general?

(Are the Iron Horsemen still around? I knew several back in the 70's, but I haven't seen one in years.)

:coolshades:

Sorry was out for a bit. At the party I played at, it was a mix of types. They're still are in my part of NY.

#66 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>

Posted 18 August 2019 - 07:04 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 18 August 2019 - 04:02 PM, said:

I trust that I don't need to point out that I am a former barfighter, but instead will politely suggest: Don't disrespect Roger Corman, y'all.

Roger Corman is a deity in B-movies. Don't take them too seriously, and they're a hoot. I'll take any given Corman B-movie of the '6o/'70s over ANY Hollywood blockbuster these days. Hollywood these days has a stick up it's ass and is way too "preachy". F### that, give me a bucket of popcorn and a good Corman flick with an exploding helicopter and maybe even some topless chicks, We could make an evening of it.

One of the best, and YES, including the requisite exploding helicopter :

I am very aware of who Corman is, those he gave breaks to and his legacy. is and the idea that his movies never got "preacy" is a laugh out loud joke.

#67 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:44 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 18 August 2019 - 07:49 AM, said:

I'm not Fonda that family

Agreed. (And nice pun.)

Makes me think that Henry had to be one jacked up dad to produce those two.

#68 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 09:58 AM

View PostJerryL, on 19 August 2019 - 05:44 AM, said:

Agreed. (And nice pun.)

From what I've read, including Jane's comments about him, he was a cold, distant, unloving father, and you see that especially in Hanoi Jane's life and mental health.

#69 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:13 AM

View PostSeverian, on 19 August 2019 - 09:58 AM, said:

From what I've read, including Jane's comments about him, he was a cold, distant, unloving father, and you see that especially in Hanoi Jane's life and mental health.

‘On Golden Pond’ wasn’t far from the truth.

#70 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 18 August 2019 - 03:31 PM, said:

Wow, you pegged damn near every detail. I mean the cheesy movie details of course, not necessarily the actual real-life "biker lifestyle" stuff, which is mostly just as boring and routine as everybody else's lifestyles. Most of us are neither heroes nor villains, neither alcoholics nor teetotalers, neither rapists nor choirboys, neither violent nor pacifists, neither geniuses nor morons.

For the most part we're just ordinary guys who love motorcycles, and naturally tend to hang around with other guys who love motorcycles too. Just as guys who love fishing tend to hang out with other fishermen, guys who watch a lot of football tend to watch in large groups, guys who play guitar tend to seek out other musicians to jam with, etc. It's no different with guys who love to ride motorcycles.

:shrug:

O come on know, your letting reality get in the way of a made up narrative. How dare you crush the dreams of clueless idiots.

#71 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:51 AM

View PostMagic Rat, on 16 August 2019 - 08:38 PM, said:

Hotlips was in Race With The Devil too. It was released though. I went it see it at the drive in with my aunt, my cousins and their stepdad in Jersey.

Summer of '77, Centerbrook drive-in on Hwy 67 in southern Indiana just north of Martinsville. Race With The Devil (1975) was the second half of a double feature after The Hills Have Eyes (1977). I didn't sleep well that night.

Both scared the heck out of me, but both would likely be called 'tame' by today's standards. Race was PG but probably pushing the boundary; Hills was R but only just barely and probably just for the language. Both were of the last generation of IMHO "Good" horror films that relied on suspense and psychological tension just before the whole genre devolved into just throwing around buckets of blood and dismembered body parts.

Believe it or not, Centerbrook Drive is still operating. Probably one of the last few in the country.

Centerbrook Drive-in – Always 2 Movies for the price of 1! Now Showing:

http://centerbrookdrivein.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/MV5BMDc1MmVjMDQtOGU3OS00OTJkLWJmOGQtNDMzMWRjNDAzY2Y2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk5MzE1MTY@._V1_-1-150x222.jpghttp://centerbrookdrivein.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/s-l640-1-142x225.jpg

#72 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 10:56 AM

View PostLadybird, on 19 August 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

‘On Golden Pond’ wasn’t far from the truth.

Jane said she wanted to do that film because it was so close to their relationship.

There was another thread here that had to do with Jane and I commented that Henry Fonda was not the “aw shucks” nice guy he played in films. He cheated on his wives – especially Peter and Jane’s mother, was a cold, unloving father (Jane had Daddy issues, she admits that) and was just kind of an all-around jerk to his family (he was married 5 times and described as selfish as a husband and father.)

#73 User is offline   USNRETWIFE 

• Tiki Barbie
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:18 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 19 August 2019 - 10:51 AM, said:

Summer of '77, Centerbrook drive-in on Hwy 67 in southern Indiana just north of Martinsville. Race With The Devil (1975) was the second half of a double feature after The Hills Have Eyes (1977). I didn't sleep well that night.

Both scared the heck out of me, but both would likely be called 'tame' by today's standards. Race was PG but probably pushing the boundary; Hills was R but only just barely and probably just for the language. Both were of the last generation of IMHO "Good" horror films that relied on suspense and psychological tension just before the whole genre devolved into just throwing around buckets of blood and dismembered body parts.

Believe it or not, Centerbrook Drive is still operating. Probably one of the last few in the country.

Centerbrook Drive-in – Always 2 Movies for the price of 1! Now Showing:

http://centerbrookdrivein.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/MV5BMDc1MmVjMDQtOGU3OS00OTJkLWJmOGQtNDMzMWRjNDAzY2Y2XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTk5MzE1MTY@._V1_-1-150x222.jpghttp://centerbrookdrivein.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/s-l640-1-142x225.jpg

Our drive in was built in 1950, and still going, run by the same family who built it. It only runs Friday-Monday now, as the woman is almost 90 and the town is half the size it used to be, and it used to be small.

#74 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 19 August 2019 - 11:51 AM

One Fonda film not mentioned so far: The Hostage Tower (1980), based on a story by Alastair MacLean.

#75 User is online   tailgunner 

• <no title>

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:14 PM

One I forgot about "The Limey (1999)" I thought at the time it could be Fonda in real life.

#76 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:32 PM

View PostJerryL, on 19 August 2019 - 05:44 AM, said:

Agreed. (And nice pun.)

He was a ginormous leftist and the wife that produced Jane and Peter was quietly tucked away in a mental institution where she managed to get hold of a sharp object and slit her throat... Or, at least that was the scuttlebutt I heard from someone who had been in the industry for several decades behind the camera as one of the many faceless folks who kept the celebrities primped, primed and reasonably on time for their scenes...

#77 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• View gallery

Posted 19 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

View Postscotsman, on 19 August 2019 - 11:51 AM, said:

One Fonda film not mentioned so far: The Hostage Tower (1980), based on a story by Alastair MacLean.

I've Always been an Alistair MacLean fan (RIP 1987). Regardless of how outlandishly unbelievable his plot twists were, he made them believable.

Never sure of this one though. YES, it was definitely his "idea", originally a 20-30 page "treatment" for what became the film. But how much after that was "His" versus done by others? I dunno. He wasn't in great health by then. The book was written by John Denis and might or might not have been written AFTER the screenplay, and at least some sites credit Robert Carrington with the screenplay. Did the studio and publisher merely buy the idea and the use of his name for marketing with someone else doing the "work" or was he actively involved day-to-day? I dunno.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Tl6Lq2cqL.SX316.SY316.jpg

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 19 August 2019 - 03:01 PM

#78 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

View Posttailgunner, on 19 August 2019 - 02:14 PM, said:

One I forgot about "The Limey (1999)" I thought at the time it could be Fonda in real life.

Great film, the best scene doesn't involve Fonda though.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 19 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

#79 User is online   mliff1 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 19 August 2019 - 04:52 PM

View PostMartin, on 17 August 2019 - 07:44 AM, said:

Yes, Peter Fonda did that on Twitter.

What a great guy, just like his sister. ha

#80 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 19 August 2019 - 05:12 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 19 August 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

I've Always been an Alistair MacLean fan (RIP 1987). Regardless of how outlandishly unbelievable his plot twists were, he made them believable.

Never sure of this one though. YES, it was definitely his "idea", originally a 20-30 page "treatment" for what became the film. But how much after that was "His" versus done by others? I dunno. He wasn't in great health by then. The book was written by John Denis and might or might not have been written AFTER the screenplay, and at least some sites credit Robert Carrington with the screenplay. Did the studio and publisher merely buy the idea and the use of his name for marketing with someone else doing the "work" or was he actively involved day-to-day? I dunno.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51Tl6Lq2cqL.SX316.SY316.jpg

Simple. Mr MacLean's name sells more books than John Denis. As to his idea, McLean was starting to suffer from the alcoholism in the late 70s/early 80s, that would render him becoming seriously ill in the mid-80s. Probably by 1980, a functioning alcoholic if reports are to be believed. It would seem that he was fed up with the (in his opinion*) declining quality and lack of success of his film adaptations in the late 70s and turned to US TV, which meant just writing short treatments. Which suited him as regards his health and ideas.

Denis isn't the only 'McLean ghostwriter'. Alasdair McNeill wrote several books as did Hugh Miller, based on McLean's ideas. I have read a few of the McNeill books.

*--IMO many of the 70s films are fine. The early 70s films are excellent, like Fear is the Key or Puppet on A Chain.
Even the later ones, like Bear Island, Force 10 etc are very entertaining, with major stars like Sutherland, Shaw, Harrison Ford, Widmark.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 19 August 2019 - 05:13 PM

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users