RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: ‘South Park’ Creators Offer Fake Apology After Show Is Erased in China - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

‘South Park’ Creators Offer Fake Apology After Show Is Erased in China Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:03 PM

’South Park’ Creators Offer Fake Apology After Show Is Erased in China

Oct. 8, 2019
Updated 10:15 a.m. ET

Excerpt:
HONG KONG — “South Park,” the long-running Comedy Central cartoon whose mockery has spared few touchy topics, was erased from major platforms in China after an episode last week taunted Chinese censors and the far-reaching effect they often have on American entertainment.

The government’s censors, who routinely quash news and commentary deemed undesirable by the ruling Communist Party, wiped out video clips and discussions of the show, which premiered in 1997 and has lasted 23 seasons. Once known mostly for the raunchy humor coming from the mouths of its elementary-school-age main characters, the show has in recent seasons focused on political and cultural satire, without abandoning its boundary-pushing ways.

Last week’s episode, called “Band in China,” appeared to cross a new line for the Chinese authorities. On Baidu Tieba, a popular discussion platform, searches for “South Park” on Tuesday returned the following message: “According to the relevant law and regulation, this section is temporarily not open.”

Searches for the show were also fruitless on Youku, a video hosting service, which similarly cited “the relevant law and regulation.” On Weibo, the country’s most popular social network, posts mentioning the show could not be found.

The censorship occurred as the N.B.A. was unintentionally demonstrating how protecting business interests in China can chill speech back in the United States. The basketball league has scrambled to contain a backlash in China since Daryl Morey, the general manager of the Houston Rockets, tweeted support last week for the Hong Kong protests, which are reviled by the Chinese government.

Though the league has supported political expression by its players, it was less supportive of Morey, prompting accusations that it valued its business in China more than free speech.

Whereas the N.B.A. has struggled to respond to the geopolitical fracas, the creators of “South Park” appeared to relish the fight. The show’s creators, Trey Parker and Matt Stone, put out a fake apology on Monday, poking fun at the N.B.A. while insulting Xi Jinping, China’s president.

“Like the N.B.A., we welcome the Chinese censors into our homes and into our hearts,” the tongue-in-cheek statement read. “We too love money more than freedom and democracy. Xi doesn’t look just like Winnie the Pooh at all.”

That last part makes more sense in the context of the episode, which had two plot lines related to China. Spoilers ahead.
In one, the character Randy Marsh flies to China hoping to expand his marijuana business there, only to be arrested at the airport. In a work camp, he meets Winnie the Pooh, who, the show explains, was banned after Chinese social media users pointed out his resemblance to Mr. Xi. (The Pooh censorship is real, and reporting on it got John Oliver censored last year.)

<snip>

Link

:2up:

#2 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:14 PM

The NBA lacks Tegridy.

#3 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:33 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 08 October 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

The NBA lacks Tegridy.

:lol:

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--2oDdTNg---/t_Preview/b_rgb:484849,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1545171681/production/designs/3770485_0.jpg

#4 User is offline   Dutch13 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 08 October 2019 - 01:35 PM

The NBA lacks Tegridy.

They certainly do......but I bet a lot of NBA players have Tegridy's products, though.

I haven't watched a current episode in years, and have only sporadically watched any of it when my girlfriend's kids (17 and 15) showed them too me. Sunday afternoon, they turned on an episode and I had no idea it was the episode in question. It basically trashed Disney and all of media that have given editing rights to China.

The South Park guys seem to be so on the money with their writing and timing. They are about the only folks left with any balls to take anyone on.

This post has been edited by Dutch13: 08 October 2019 - 01:35 PM

#5 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 08 October 2019 - 02:20 PM

The NBA lacks Tegridy.

And they aren’t the only ones..

One of America’s biggest gaming companies is acting as China’s censor
Activision Blizzard punished a pro player for speaking out on behalf of Hong Kong. This should be unacceptable.
By Zack Beauchamp on October 8, 2019 12:10 pm

Excerpt:
Activision Blizzard, one of America’s biggest gaming companies, just bowed to Chinese censorship in a disturbing way: suspending a professional player of Hearthstone, its digital card game, over a statement supporting the Hong Kong pro-democracy protests.

The offending commentary from Chung Ng Wai, a Hong Kong-based player who goes by the name “Blitzchung,” came during an official interview on Sunday held after he won a match in the Hearthstone Grandmasters tournament, the highest level of competition in the game.

<snip>

Link

#6 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:18 PM

Good on Trey and Matt, and shame on both the NBA and Acti-Blizzard, particularly the NBA since vocal activism was a big deal to them last year when it was the US people were criticizing.

#7 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 08 October 2019 - 03:42 PM

View PostModerator T, on 08 October 2019 - 03:18 PM, said:

Good on Trey and Matt, and shame on both the NBA and Acti-Blizzard, particularly the NBA since vocal activism was a big deal to them last year when it was the US people were criticizing.

Just like Dutch said (above) I haven't watched a new or current episode in years.

But I'll echo the praise: Good for Trey & Matt. Maybe I oughta start watching South Park again.

And Acne-Blister and the NBA? They can both kiss my rosy-red hind end.

:coolshades:

This post has been edited by MontyPython: 08 October 2019 - 03:42 PM

#8 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 08 October 2019 - 05:37 PM

View PostLadybird, on 08 October 2019 - 01:33 PM, said:

:lol:

https://res.cloudinary.com/teepublic/image/private/s--2oDdTNg---/t_Preview/b_rgb:484849,c_limit,f_jpg,h_630,q_90,w_630/v1545171681/production/designs/3770485_0.jpg

I I I never knew chickens wore suspenders...

#9 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 08 October 2019 - 06:07 PM

Band in China is hilarious. If you're ... seasoned ... it's reminiscent of how the Japanese were going to buy America in the 80s.

#10 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 08 October 2019 - 10:01 PM

South Park is a national treasure. I don't always agree with them. But damn, they are good at poking the bee's nest. Which is American as you can get.

#11 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 09 October 2019 - 08:21 PM

https://allthatsinteresting.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/xi-abe-winnie.jpg

BWAHAHAHAHAH!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users