RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: One Toke Over The Line - RightNation.US

One Toke Over The Line Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:30 AM

A "spiritual"...

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 06 July 2019 - 09:55 AM

LOL. Makes you wonder whether they knew what "toke" meant...

This song is part of my repertoire, and I assure you I know what "toke" means.

:yes:

:smoker:

#3 User is offline   kestrel 

• <no title>

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:02 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 06 July 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

I bet you do!..(Me Too!) Now that weed is legal here in Michigan we're all just standing around on street corners waiting for the stop signs to turn green!..Speaking of music and repertoire remember "The Pusher" by Steppenwolf? Back in the day there were a few tunes that made reference to drugs.
Kestrel...

#4 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:21 AM

A bus token?

A train token?

:lol:

This song came out when I was in grade school and even us kids knew what "toke" meant back then. :D

One other song that came out back then on the radio using the word "toke" was "Long Haired Country Boy" by my longtime favorite the Charlie Daniels Band.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 06 July 2019 - 11:11 AM

#5 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:36 AM

I doubt Mr. Welk or the censors knew, but I'm not sure either way about that couple singing.

This must have tickled hip teens across the land who were watching with their folks.

#6 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:50 AM

I haven't heard that song since the day I was sitting downtown at a railway station.

#7 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 06 July 2019 - 10:57 AM

My grandmother LOVED Lawrence Welk. And she was one of the first people I knew who had a color (RCA) TV. As a kid, I was always surprised when we'd be at her house, watching the Lennon Sisters sing, or Bobby Burgess dance, and the music would be some current drug song. It didn't happen all the time, but enough that I remember it.

(Yes. I'm old.)

#8 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:24 AM

My best friend in college's dad was British. He'd get a bit tanked every Saturday, on coffee with scotch in it, and watch Lawrence Welk just because he hated, just loathed Joe Feeny, the Irish tenor they had. He'd yell at the TV "Shut up you poxy bastard! Learn to sing for the love of God!" and other epithets. I really loved the man, he was a true character and worth his weight in gold. One of the Greatest Generation who endured the war and never bitched about it.

#9 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!
  • Group: Gold

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:30 AM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 06 July 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

My grandmother LOVED Lawrence Welk. And she was one of the first people I knew who had a color (RCA) TV. As a kid, I was always surprised when we'd be at her house, watching the Lennon Sisters sing, or Bobby Burgess dance, and the music would be some current drug song. It didn't happen all the time, but enough that I remember it.

(Yes. I'm old.)

Donít forget about Myron Floren

All together boys...And a 1 and a 2

#10 User is offline   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:35 AM

Brewer & Shipley. . .

#11 User is offline   BARman29 

• Stay resolute.

Posted 06 July 2019 - 11:42 AM

Of course Puff the Magic Dragon is a kids song.

#12 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 06 July 2019 - 12:25 PM

This song brings back memories. I was a roadie for Brewer and Shipley one summer after I did lights and sound for a concert at my college. Their roadie had been busted and they asked if I had a summer job. I didn't so I went for it. Being a roadie was not girls and drugs. You set up the show, did it, then broke it down for the next night. Grab some dinner and then a little sleep and then on the road. BTW, one of their other songs I really like was Tarkio Road.

#13 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 06 July 2019 - 01:46 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 06 July 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

This song brings back memories. I was a roadie for Brewer and Shipley one summer after I did lights and sound for a concert at my college. Their roadie had been busted and they asked if I had a summer job. I didn't so I went for it. Being a roadie was not girls and drugs. You set up the show, did it, then broke it down for the next night. Grab some dinner and then a little sleep and then on the road. BTW, one of their other songs I really like was Tarkio Road.

Cool story. Thanks for sharing.

Although it does make my grandma's color TV anecdote pale in comparison. :dramaqueen:

#14 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 06 July 2019 - 02:55 PM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 06 July 2019 - 10:57 AM, said:

(Yes. I'm old.)

The Smothers brothers, Andy Williams and Dinah Shore are all I recall from childhood. I vaguely remember a show with bubbles.. Maybe that was it?

View PostSeverian, on 06 July 2019 - 11:24 AM, said:

My best friend in college's dad was British. He'd get a bit tanked every Saturday, on coffee with scotch in it, and watch Lawrence Welk just because he hated, just loathed Joe Feeny, the Irish tenor they had. He'd yell at the TV "Shut up you poxy bastard! Learn to sing for the love of God!" and other epithets. I really loved the man, he was a true character and worth his weight in gold. One of the Greatest Generation who endured the war and never bitched about it.

:lol: Sounds like an entertaining fellow..

View PostBookdoc, on 06 July 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

Very cool..

#15 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:48 PM

Yeah, those old guys just weren't groovy enough to know what the song was about. They were over 30, after all. They just weren't far out. What a bummer, huh? They didn't know how to get real. They were tuned out. Hip kids born in the 40's invented sex, drug use and popular music. Welk's audience didn't fight a war or have sex or anything, so whenever a piece of music that has any hint of corruption, they were too stupid to know it...

Welk may have been a bumkin from North Dakota, but he wasn't stupid, nor was he naÔve. He'd been in show business and had seen every decadence since the 1920's. This is long before any "hip teen" came along to pretend to know everything. He knew what the song was about and so did his producers. He was a hell of a lot more successful than Brewer and Shipley and for a lot longer time. They didn't exactly invent the term "toke" either.

It's so easy to think that history began with TV, it didn't. Welk knew what he was doing.

#16 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 06 July 2019 - 03:56 PM

Squaresville man, squaresville. And what's with all the negative vibes, man?

#17 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:03 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 06 July 2019 - 03:48 PM, said:

Yeah, those old guys just weren't groovy enough to know what the song was about. They were over 30, after all. They just weren't far out. What a bummer, huh? They didn't know how to get real. They were tuned out. Hip kids born in the 40's invented sex, drug use and popular music. Welk's audience didn't fight a war or have sex or anything, so whenever a piece of music that has any hint of corruption, they were too stupid to know it...

Welk may have been a bumkin from North Dakota, but he wasn't stupid, nor was he naÔve. He'd been in show business and had seen every decadence since the 1920's. This is long before any "hip teen" came along to pretend to know everything. He knew what the song was about and so did his producers. He was a hell of a lot more successful than Brewer and Shipley and for a lot longer time. They didn't exactly invent the term "toke" either.

It's so easy to think that history began with TV, it didn't. Welk knew what he was doing.

He was a business man. Do you think he would knowingly allow a song with obvious drug references on his show and risk the wrath of the FCC?

#18 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:07 PM

View PostSeverian, on 06 July 2019 - 03:56 PM, said:

Squaresville man, squaresville. And what's with all the negative vibes, man?

:yeahthat:

#19 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:09 PM

View PostLadybird, on 06 July 2019 - 04:03 PM, said:

He was a business man. Do you think he would knowingly allow a song with obvious drug references on his show and risk the wrath of the FCC?

What wrath? Were Brewer and Shipley (The original artists) banned by the FCC or something? If so, then according to their website, Johnny Carson, Dick Cavett and David Frost were in big trouble too.

So yes. I am quite sure Welk knew what he was doing.

#20 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 06 July 2019 - 04:22 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 06 July 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

What wrath? Were Brewer and Shipley (The original artists) banned by the FCC or something? If so, then according to their website, Johnny Carson, Dick Cavett and David Frost were in big trouble too.

So yes. I am quite sure Welk knew what he was doing.

Or network censors or his audience. We'll never know, right?
Didn't work out so well for the Smothers Brothers.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users