RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: The Australian Woman Killed by Police in Minneapolis - RightNation.US

Jump to content

The Australian Woman Killed by Police in Minneapolis Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 9,222
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:28 PM

The Australian Woman Killed by Police in Minneapolis


Justine Damond called police just before midnight Saturday to report a possible assault in the alley behind her home. Two officers responded in a squad car and, the Star Tribune reported, Damond went to the driver’s door in her pajamas; the officer in the passenger seat fired, killing her. The death of the 40-year-old Australian woman who was due to be married next month prompted global outrage as well as questions on why the officers hadn’t turned on their body cameras in line with the department’s rules.

Minneapolis Police officials say they’re looking into the shooting and released a short statement with few details: “At one point an officer fired their weapon, fatally striking a woman,” the statement read in part. “The officers’ body cameras were not turned on at the time and the squad camera did not capture the incident.”

Damond’s death prompted outrage locally and in her native Australia where it was front-page news. Her family has demanded a federal investigation. In Minneapolis, three mayoral candidates attended a vigil held for Damond. Mayor Betsy Hodges said Sunday she had “questions about why the bodycams weren’t on” and that as “a wife, and a grandmother, I am heartsick and deeply disturbed by what occurred last night.”

Zach Damond, Don Damond’s son, posted a video in which he asked people to call the city. “If anybody can help, just call the police and demand answers. I’m so done with all this violence.”

“America sucks,” he added, “These cops need to get trained differently.

<snip>

Link
0

#2 User is offline   oki 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 20,404
  • Joined: 14-October 04

Posted 17 July 2017 - 02:53 PM

I really hope the Cop who shot this lady didn't get his job solely or even in part due to Affirmative Action and or Quota's.

http://www.startribu...ed/434975623/#1

His ethnic background sure was a huge deal for the Minneapolis P.D. when they hired this guy though.
http://heavy.com/new...omali-mohammed/




Oki
0

#3 User is online   Oathtaker 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 747
  • Joined: 21-August 03

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:26 PM

This is truly sad.

What the hell is going on?
0

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 9,222
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

View PostOathtaker, on 17 July 2017 - 03:26 PM, said:

This is truly sad.

What the hell is going on?

I don't know. It seems sometimes it is best not to call them at all.
0

#5 User is offline   gravelrash 

  • I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 10,714
  • Joined: 24-June 03

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:43 PM

The cop shot her while he was sitting in the car???
0

#6 User is offline   firecoco 

  • Yes! We! Can!
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 13,753
  • Joined: 21-October 03

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 17 July 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

The cop shot her while he was sitting in the car???

While she was talking to the cop who was driving. In her pajamas
0

#7 User is offline   Big Dave 

  • ...and yes, I am compensating for something.
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 2,012
  • Joined: 03-March 04

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:50 PM

My thoughts and prayers for this woman's family, but this doesn't fit the "police killers" narrative. He was first "Somali-American" (whatever that is) officer. Black, third world cop shoots white, first-world lady is not the meme you've been pushing.
Sad for her family--Aussies are justifyably pissed, but their ire should be at policies that have allowed so many Somalis into a place where they have not been able to assimilate. IMHO. :coffeenpc:
0

#8 User is offline   Big Dave 

  • ...and yes, I am compensating for something.
  • View gallery
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 2,012
  • Joined: 03-March 04

Posted 17 July 2017 - 03:53 PM

View PostLadybird, on 17 July 2017 - 03:41 PM, said:

I don't know. It seems sometimes it is best not to call them at all.

Joe Biden said all you need is a rwelve guage....
0

#9 User is offline   oki 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 20,404
  • Joined: 14-October 04

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:01 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 17 July 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

The cop shot her while he was sitting in the car???



Yes, both officers where in the squad car as they where responding to HER 911 call. She was outside the vehicle in Pajamas's(not that her attire really matters), and as she was speaking with officer who was driving the cop shot across the vehicle and in front of his partner hitting her. Worse yet, no body cam footage. At this time the story is that both body cams where switched of for some reason. I thought that right then and there would get most officers suspended.

I really really really try to give cops benefit of a doubt, but this looks about as bad as it can get. Worse yet, I hope for the Minneapolis P.D.(and all the people of Minneapolis that the officers racial profile was not the sole or main reason he was hired.
I say that as you can't hire people in certain jobs based first or in large part on race, doing that passes over more qualified people and actually increases the danger to not only the officers but the very people they are trying to serve, help or protect.

Oki
0

#10 User is offline   oki 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter
  • Posts: 20,404
  • Joined: 14-October 04

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

Hmmm....
Why isn't there any wall to wall MSM coverage?
Why aren't there any riots and protests already?

Wasn't she just as innocent? Doesn't her life matter?

Yeah, I know, the silence and difference in treatment and coverage is stunning.

Oki
0

#11 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 9,222
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:28 PM

View Postoki, on 17 July 2017 - 04:12 PM, said:

Hmmm....
Why isn't there any wall to wall MSM coverage?
Why aren't there any riots and protests already?

Wasn't she just as innocent? Doesn't her life matter?

Yeah, I know, the silence and difference in treatment and coverage is stunning.

Oki

This is a very big story, or haven't you noticed?

And if there was a riot everytime an unarmed person, minority or not, was shot by the police, there would be a riot pratically every freaking week.
0

#12 User is offline   zurg 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 20,394
  • Joined: 19-October 09

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostLadybird, on 17 July 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

This is a very big story, or haven't you noticed?

And if there was a riot everytime an unarmed person, minority or not, was shot by the police, there would be a riot pratically every freaking week.

Has anything been stated about why the woman appeared suspicious enough to shoot? Or is this just a case of a really bad cop?
0

#13 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 9,222
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 17 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

View Postzurg, on 17 July 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

Has anything been stated about why the woman appeared suspicious enough to shoot? Or is this just a case of a really bad cop?

I don't know. Per usual the cop was placed on paid leave.
0

#14 User is offline   SARGE 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 9,418
  • Joined: 26-June 03

Posted 17 July 2017 - 05:07 PM

View Postzurg, on 17 July 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

Has anything been stated about why the woman appeared suspicious enough to shoot? Or is this just a case of a really bad cop?



If she'd have been wearing a hijab would she still be alive?
0

#15 User is offline   homerland1205 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported
  • Posts: 20
  • Joined: 11-July 17

Posted 17 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

View PostSARGE, on 17 July 2017 - 05:07 PM, said:

If she'd have been wearing a hijab would she still be alive?


That would be an entirely different case but still the same outcome.
0

#16 User is offline   gravelrash 

  • I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 10,714
  • Joined: 24-June 03

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:06 PM

View Postoki, on 17 July 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Yes, both officers where in the squad car as they where responding to HER 911 call. She was outside the vehicle in Pajamas's(not that her attire really matters), and as she was speaking with officer who was driving the cop shot across the vehicle and in front of his partner hitting her. Worse yet, no body cam footage. At this time the story is that both body cams where switched of for some reason. I thought that right then and there would get most officers suspended.

I really really really try to give cops benefit of a doubt, but this looks about as bad as it can get. Worse yet, I hope for the Minneapolis P.D.(and all the people of Minneapolis that the officers racial profile was not the sole or main reason he was hired.
I say that as you can't hire people in certain jobs based first or in large part on race, doing that passes over more qualified people and actually increases the danger to not only the officers but the very people they are trying to serve, help or protect.

Oki


I read the article and a couple of others that give what is known of events. None of it adds up in any sense except the victim (yes, victim) reported suspicious activity near her home. WTF would a cop take a chance on a cross-fire mishap like that? Not to distract from the victim, but what would have happened if he had hit his partner, the driver, instead?

This is some completely almost scripted opposite of the Michael Brown incident. I hate to be this way, but I suspect "lower standards" and "recruiting quotas" were a contributing factor to this tragic encounter.
0

#17 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 22,765
  • Joined: 22-October 03

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:08 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 17 July 2017 - 03:43 PM, said:

The cop shot her while he was sitting in the car???


Well in his defense, IF you call the police on a call like this. Do not approach the car, allow them to get out and then talk to them away from the car. The reality is after the shooting in NY there is no safe (there never was) bastion in a police car. People can and do approach police cars rapidly and engage them with gunfire. I am not sure there was any indication of threat in this case, the officer closest to the person did not draw or shoot from the indication given in this report. Personally I would be PISSED!!! If my partner shot across me and killed someone, first of all the sound is literally deafening, secondly the flash burns would SUCK, third off there is no guarantee I would not be shot. The better answer is to get out of the vehicle and engage out of the line of fire of your partner.

From this description once again this SOUNDS like an very very bad decision. I will reserve my judgement based on future reporting.
0

#18 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 22,765
  • Joined: 22-October 03

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:17 PM

View Postoki, on 17 July 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Yes, both officers where in the squad car as they where responding to HER 911 call. She was outside the vehicle in Pajamas's(not that her attire really matters), and as she was speaking with officer who was driving the cop shot across the vehicle and in front of his partner hitting her. Worse yet, no body cam footage. At this time the story is that both body cams where switched of for some reason. I thought that right then and there would get most officers suspended.

I really really really try to give cops benefit of a doubt, but this looks about as bad as it can get. Worse yet, I hope for the Minneapolis P.D.(and all the people of Minneapolis that the officers racial profile was not the sole or main reason he was hired.
I say that as you can't hire people in certain jobs based first or in large part on race, doing that passes over more qualified people and actually increases the danger to not only the officers but the very people they are trying to serve, help or protect.

Oki


As far as the body cam goes, them being off is BS. Most body cams are always watching and any hand gestures in front of the camera gain automatic saving of data from 30 seconds before the action initiating onto the time it is stopped by PUSHING a button. I am not sure the model they have, but if it's modern within the last few years this sounds like crap.
0

#19 User is offline   ThePatriot 

  • Warpaint
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 25,905
  • Joined: 17-August 03

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 17 July 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

Well in his defense, IF you call the police on a call like this. Do not approach the car, allow them to get out and then talk to them away from the car. The reality is after the shooting in NY there is no safe (there never was) bastion in a police car. People can and do approach police cars rapidly and engage them with gunfire. I am not sure there was any indication of threat in this case, the officer closest to the person did not draw or shoot from the indication given in this report. Personally I would be PISSED!!! If my partner shot across me and killed someone, first of all the sound is literally deafening, secondly the flash burns would SUCK, third off there is no guarantee I would not be shot. The better answer is to get out of the vehicle and engage out of the line of fire of your partner.

From this description once again this SOUNDS like an very very bad decision. I will reserve my judgement based on future reporting.

My first thought was that we definitely do not have all the facts, so I'll reserve judgement until the rest of the story gets reported.
0

#20 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter
  • Posts: 22,765
  • Joined: 22-October 03

Posted 17 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 17 July 2017 - 08:06 PM, said:

I read the article and a couple of others that give what is known of events. None of it adds up in any sense except the victim (yes, victim) reported suspicious activity near her home. WTF would a cop take a chance on a cross-fire mishap like that? Not to distract from the victim, but what would have happened if he had hit his partner, the driver, instead?

This is some completely almost scripted opposite of the Michael Brown incident. I hate to be this way, but I suspect "lower standards" and "recruiting quotas" were a contributing factor to this tragic encounter.


You have to remember something as well, you never know what is going on as a police officer until you GET to the scene and evaluate it. I have been to calls where the person calling 911 was the one that went to jail. This happens from time to time with domestic violence cases and assault. It also occurs when someone texts someone "come on over and I will kick your butt", then that person comes over and you call 911 because he brought 12 of his homies, then you hide in your closet, call 911 and have pot laying around the house in plain view. We also know he's a drug dealer and oh, he had pills in the room and all other wonderful stuff. He asked me why he was going to jail when he called us for help! I said we did help you didn't we? You didn't get your butt kicked right? His response? Sure I guess that's right, I said "next time, don't leave pot laying around the house".... :)
0

Share this topic:


  • 4 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users