RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: The SAT Is Adding An 'Adversity Score' To Judge Students On &a - RightNation.US

The SAT Is Adding An 'Adversity Score' To Judge Students On &a Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

SAT to use 'adversity score' for students applying to college

By Barnini Chakraborty
May 16, 2019
Fox News

The College Board, which oversees the SAT exam used by most U.S. colleges during the admissions process, plans to introduce an “adversity score” which takes into consideration the social and economic background of every student.

The move is likely to reignite the debate over race and class in college admissions.

The new adversity score is being calculated using 15 factors, including the crime rate and poverty level from the student's high school and neighborhood, The Wall Street Journal first reported.

Students won't be privy to their scores but colleges and universities will see them when reviewing applications.

So far, 50 colleges have used it in making a decision about a prospective student's chances. The College Board plans to expand that to 150 higher learning institutions in the fall. The goal is to use it broadly by 2021.

"There are a number of amazing students who may have scored less (on the SAT) but have accomplished more," David Coleman, chief executive of the College Board, said. "We can't sit on our hands and ignore the disparities of wealth reflected in the SAT."

Yale University is one of the schools that has used adversity scores. The Connecticut-based Ivy has pushed to increase socioeconomic diversity in recent years and has almost doubled the number of low-income students.

"This (adversity score) is literally affecting every application we look at," Jeremiah Quinlan, dean of undergraduate admissions at Yale, told WSJ. "It has been a part of the success story to help diversity our freshman class."

Still, it's unlikely the adversity score will be a hit with advocates who have long argued that merit alone should dictate whether a student is allowed admission.

(link)

#2 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:45 PM

Great... <_<

Now I can look forward to having a heart surgeon who is not really that smart, but at least he's not White or Asian. That wouldn't be fair...

http://i.postimg.cc/TYySFXc8/homer-facepalm.jpg

#3 User is online   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!
  • Group: Silver

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:18 PM

As the father of a girl who will be graduating from a high performance private school next year this is BS!
To have those with whom she will be competing for admission to get an advantage because of where they live, or its crime rate is unconscionable. She will effectively be penalized because of the location of her school. This will diminish the value of her school's program and commitment to academic excellence. (which I suspect is the real objective).

It should actually diminish the value of the SAT . . .

#4 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:26 PM

The SATs have been dumbed down several times in the past-scores for mgm's weren't high enough. The educational cabal wants to make sure every kid gets the finishing indoctrination that these jokes of colleges give out.

#5 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:39 PM

So let me get this straight: If criminals do more crime in their neighborhoods. Their children will have a better chance at college?

Is that how this now works?

#6 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

• Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:32 PM

My daughter will be a junior next year and is a straight A student. i'll advise she hold up a couple of liquor stores or we'll do a drive by in the hood.

#7 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 04:35 PM

View PostTikk, on 16 May 2019 - 03:39 PM, said:

So let me get this straight: If criminals do more crime in their neighborhoods. Their children will have a better chance at college?

Is that how this now works?

Most of the gang bangers attending college are already there on athletic scholarships.

#8 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:23 PM

View PostNatural Selection, on 16 May 2019 - 12:37 PM, said:

Yale University is one of the schools that has used adversity scores. The Connecticut-based Ivy has pushed to increase socioeconomic diversity in recent years and has almost doubled the number of low-income students.

Which means they've halved the number of high quality students?

An old joke:

A man goes into a job interview

A man goes into a job interview, and presents himself well.

The employer is shocked at how professional he is, "Wow, you have an incredible resume, and present yourself fantastically, but you seem to be missing 5 years on this part of your resume. What happened there?"

The man replied "Oh that's when I went to Yale."

The employer is even more impressed. "That's great, you're hired!"

The man is super happy and says "Yay I got a yob!"

Seems like that's not a yoke that's all that funny these days.

EtA: a different version:

A newly hired accountant goes in for his first performance review

The boss says, "Say, this is excellent bookkeeping. Where did you learn your skills?"
"Yale", he replies.
"Well, welcome aboard and keep up the good work. What was your name again?"
"Yim Yohnson".

And some more:

"Oh! So you went to Yale?"

"Yes."

"When?"

"Yuly 1997 to Yune 1998!"

---------------------------------------

A gynecologist goes to an all-girl university to give yearly check-ups

The first girl comes in and undresses. The doctor notices she has a rash on her stomach in the shape of an H, "well that's a weirdly shaped rash."

"Oh, my boyfriend goes to Harvard and he's so proud he goes to Harvard that he won't take off his letterman's sweater when we make love."

The next girl comes in and undresses. The doctor notices she has a rash on her stomach in the shape of an Y, "well that's a weirdly shaped rash."

"Oh, my boyfriend goes to Yale and he's so proud he goes to Yale that he won't take off his letterman's sweater when we make love."

The last girl comes in and undresses. The doctor notices she has a rash on her stomach in the shape of an M, "Let me guess boyfriend at Michigan, right?"

"Umm... no. Girlfriend at Wisconsin. Why?"

-----------------------------------------------

Yale Man Walks into a bar...

Ouch. U of Maryland men walked around it.

Hey, I had to get one in for my alma mater.

This post has been edited by Dean Adam Smithee: 16 May 2019 - 05:52 PM

#9 User is online   mjperry51 

• My Brain Hurts!!

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:25 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 16 May 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

Which means they've halved the number of high quality students?

An old joke:

A man goes into a job interview

A man goes into a job interview, and presents himself well.

The employer is shocked at how professional he is, "Wow, you have an incredible resume, and present yourself fantastically, but you seem to be missing 5 years on this part of your resume. What happened there?"

The man replied "Oh that's when I went to Yale."

The employer is even more impressed. "That's great, you're hired!"

The man is super happy and says "Yay I got a yob!"

Seems like that's not a yoke that's all that funny these days.

EtA: a different version:

A newly hired accountant goes in for his first performance review

The boss says, "Say, this is excellent bookkeeping. Where did you learn your skills?"
"Yale", he replies.
"Well, welcome aboard and keep up the good work. What was your name again?"
"Yim Yohnson".

And some more:

"Oh! So you went to Yale?"

"Yes."

"When?"

"Yuly 1997 to Yune 1998!"

---------------------------------------

A gynecologist goes to an all-girl university to give yearly check-ups

The first girl comes in and undresses. The doctor notices she has a rash on her stomach in the shape of an H, "well that's a weirdly shaped rash."

"Oh, my boyfriend goes to Harvard and he's so proud he goes to Harvard that he won't take off his letterman's sweater when we make love."

The next girl comes in and undresses. The doctor notices she has a rash on her stomach in the shape of an Y, "well that's a weirdly shaped rash."

"Oh, my boyfriend goes to Yale and he's so proud he goes to Yale that he won't take off his letterman's sweater when we make love."

The last girl comes in and undresses. The doctor notices she has a rash on her stomach in the shape of an M, "Let me guess boyfriend at Michigan, right?"

"Umm... no. Girlfriend at Wisconsin. Why?"

Yale Man Walks into a bar...

Ouch. U of Maryland men walked around it.

Hey, I had to get one in for my alma mater.

Are you here all week??

#10 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:12 PM

Perhaps with the college admissions scandal. This is an effort to create new and more 'private' methods for SAT proctors to accept bribes from the wealthy.

Especially when this is a score that is only between the College Board and the colleges are the only ones who have privy to this number.

#11 User is offline   whwr55 

• <no title>
  • Group: Gold

Posted 16 May 2019 - 08:55 PM

So just identify as a black lesbian extra terrestrial ya got it made

#12 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:40 AM

The SAT Is Adding An 'Adversity Score' To Judge Students On 'Social And Economic' Background

EMILY ZANOTTI
Daily Wire
5/16/19

EXCERPT:

The College Board, the company that writes and administers the SAT college entrance exam to thousands of American high schoolers, says it's revamping its scoring process to include an "adversity score" alongside the SAT's standardized measurements of verbal and mathematical prowess, according to The Wall Street Journal.

The "adversity score" will take into account the social and economic backgrounds of SAT takers, and will be awarded based on a 15-factor analysis, The Wall Street Journal reports. Students will be judged on "the crime rate and poverty levels of the student's high school and neighborhood," the student's "housing environment," the student's parents' income and education levels, and whether the student had access to higher-level and advanced placement (AP) classes.

"A score of 50 is considered 'average,'" according to the WSJ. Scores above 50 indicate hardship. Scores below 50 indicate that a student is "privileged." College admissions advisers will access the scores through the SAT's online score reporting system, in a tab labeled "Overall Disadvantage Level."

It appears students will not be able to view — or, more importantly, challenge — their adversity scores.

The College Board justified the new adversity score by claiming that low SAT scores aren't always the result of poor academic performance, and that colleges, who are relying less and less on diversity quotas, should be aware of any exculpatory evidence that might explain a poor SAT performance.

(Full Story)

#13 User is offline   Gertie Keddle 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum

Posted 17 May 2019 - 05:38 AM

In Heather Mac Donald's book The Diversity Delusion, She makes the argument that affirmative action is the reason there aren't more Blacks in STEM careers.

Say a young Black man with an (unaltered) SAT score of 1050 is admitted to a school where his classmates have an average score in the 1400s. He originally intended to study math, but his classmates leave him in the dust and he's struggling. He changes his major to something less mathematically rigorous, say business or education, if he doesn't drop out altogether.

Now say that young Black man went to a state university or some other institution where his was the average SAT score and the STEM classes were paced to be slightly challenging but not impossible for someone on his level. He could grasp the concepts, complete the work and graduate fully competent in a STEM field. But no, we've been KIND and promoted him past his capacity as a virtue signal and wrecked or at least altered the trajectory of his life.

This link has audio & a transcript of her on City Journal's 10 Blocks podcast talking about identity politics.

#14 User is online   Joe the Pagan 

• I'm a Whovian not a Dweeb
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:37 PM

View PostGertie Keddle, on 17 May 2019 - 05:38 AM, said:

In Heather Mac Donald's book The Diversity Delusion, She makes the argument that affirmative action is the reason there aren't more Blacks in STEM careers.

Say a young Black man with an (unaltered) SAT score of 1050 is admitted to a school where his classmates have an average score in the 1400s. He originally intended to study math, but his classmates leave him in the dust and he's struggling. He changes his major to something less mathematically rigorous, say business or education, if he doesn't drop out altogether.

Now say that young Black man went to a state university or some other institution where his was the average SAT score and the STEM classes were paced to be slightly challenging but not impossible for someone on his level. He could grasp the concepts, complete the work and graduate fully competent in a STEM field. But no, we've been KIND and promoted him past his capacity as a virtue signal and wrecked or at least altered the trajectory of his life.

This link has audio & a transcript of her on City Journal's 10 Blocks podcast talking about identity politics.

He might end up in African-American studies. Where he will be told the reason he fell behind is that western math and science is racist.

#15 User is offline   Confessor 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:13 PM

It’s all about equality of outcome, not equality of opportunity. When this idea fails to achieve the desired end result, they will find another way to skew things in the name of “fairness” and “ justice” so that the “proper” number of “disadvantaged” are admitted to college. Proven aptitude, ability, and preparedness be damned. Forced equality based on socio-economic status is a really bad idea and it will ensure that colleges will be filled with even more unprepared students. But hey, it will damn sure look good to Rev. Al and Rev. Jesse.

The United States is giving up its advantages in the world in the name of social justice, because we can’t produce enough workers or employees that are capable due to this kind of stupidity. But don’t worry, we will all be equally disadvantaged when China takes over. We will all be “disadvantaged” and struggling to learn Chinese.

#16 User is offline   smdshack 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 17 May 2019 - 06:45 PM

Just another way to award a trophy when one isn't earned/deserved. Just another way to buy minority votes. Just another way to discriminate against the imaginary evil global majority, Caucasins. It is time for people to stop listing Caucasian as their race and select Other since English, French, German, Italian, Polish, etc, are not permited and are considered Caucasin. Do a DNA test and list under one of the minorities. If your test shows Tunisian line, list as an African America. If you have a percentage of Spanish blood, list yourself as Hispanic. Whats good enough for Elizaabeth Warren to gain an advantage, should be good for all. Well past time to break the racial divisions and all people be listed as Human.

This post has been edited by smdshack: 17 May 2019 - 06:47 PM

#17 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 17 May 2019 - 09:07 PM

Wow smdshack, 18 posts in 16 years. You need to quit posting so much!

(Just kidding of course, LOL. Post more often.)

B)

#18 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:22 AM

View Postsmdshack, on 17 May 2019 - 06:45 PM, said:

Just another way to award a trophy when one isn't earned/deserved. Just another way to buy minority votes. Just another way to discriminate against the imaginary evil global majority, Caucasins. It is time for people to stop listing Caucasian as their race and select Other since English, French, German, Italian, Polish, etc, are not permited and are considered Caucasin. Do a DNA test and list under one of the minorities. If your test shows Tunisian line, list as an African America. If you have a percentage of Spanish blood, list yourself as Hispanic. Whats good enough for Elizaabeth Warren to gain an advantage, should be good for all. Well past time to break the racial divisions and all people be listed as Human.

:exactly: :2up:

Also another way to destroy America from within along with our past culture that made us great.

#19 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:00 AM

Hell, I'm more Native American than Fauxcohontas, my great grandfather was full blooded Cherokee, but I've never claimed it. Probably should have. The perks of being a "minority" in my career would have been worth it.

#20 User is offline   tailgunner 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:05 PM

Look at it another way. They just told the business community blacks didn't earn their degrees, while whites did. Who are you going to hire?

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users