RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: After Trump Gets His Wall Funding, He Should Fire The TSA - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

After Trump Gets His Wall Funding, He Should Fire The TSA Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:00 AM

After Trump Gets His Wall Funding, He Should Fire The TSA

Investor's Business Daily
18 January 2019

Excerpt:

Airport Security: In their constant search for shutdown-related disasters, the media are now fixated on airport screeners. The shutdown is wreaking havoc on airports, they say. Except that it isn't. The shutdown does, however, present an opportunity to re-privatize the troublesome TSA.

News reports focus on the fact that TSA worker no-shows are up from a year ago. But the TSA's own data show that wait times haven't changed. Its latest report finds that "99.9% of passengers waited less than 30 minutes and 95.4% of passengers waited less than 15 minutes."

That's in line with normal operations. TSA reported in 2017, for example, that 99.9% of passengers waited less than 30 minutes during summer months.

TSA Delays Aren't New

The fact is that on any given day, there will be long lines to get through security at some airports. Anyone who has traveled frequently knows this. Yet the press now treats every line at security checkpoints as examples of the grave harm caused by the government shutdown.

The problem with the TSA isn't the government shutdown, it's with the TSA itself.

The agency was created in a panic after 9/11, when officials decided to blame private airport screeners for letting terrorists board planes with box cutters.

So, Congress, with the blessing of President Bush, nationalized airport screening and gave birth to the Transportation Security Administration, which has seen its budget climb more than 41% since 2005.

The result has been little short of a disaster of poor performance and wasteful spending.

A recent Government Accountability Office report found that from 2014 through 2016, the TSA handled 45,153 cases of misconduct by employees.

Nearly half — 22,373 — involved "unexcused or excessive absences or tardiness, absence without leave, failure to follow leave procedures." More than 6,000 involved "screening and security offenses." Another 2,703 were for things like sexual misconduct, fighting and abusive language. And 2,562 were for "neglect of duty."

Keep in mind that the TSA employs only about 53,000 people. In other words, each year about a quarter of the TSA's workforce was under investigation for misconduct. And, in typical government fashion, most of those violations (65%) resulted in nothing more than a sternly worded letter. Only 4% of the misconduct investigations led to any employee getting fired, only 9% resulted in a suspension.

Failing Screening Tests

Worse, TSA screeners have repeatedly failed to do their one job: prevent passengers from bringing contraband onto planes.

In 2006, undercover agents were able to get fake bombs past screeners 75% of the time. They were able to do so 96% of the time in a 2015 test. And in 2017, agents were able to beat TSA agents some 80% of the time.

Just this month, a passenger — inadvertently — made it through security at Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson with a gun and boarded a plane bound for Tokyo. The agency's response: "TSA has determined standard procedures were not followed."

Audits by the Department of Homeland Security's inspector general have uncovered vast amounts of waste. In one case, the TSA spent $160 million on body scanners that failed 96% of the time. A congressional investigation found that the agency dumped $44 million on "explosive trace detectors" that it didn't need.

Conflict of Interest

*snip*

Full Editorial

#2 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:07 AM

Most people do background checks to make sure they don't hire sexual predators.

Since the TSA seems to be chalk full of them, it shouldn't be a hard sell to purge the entire agency.

#3 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:16 AM

They suck and need to be disbanded.

They have never ever caught nor stopped one single terrorist.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 18 January 2019 - 11:16 AM

#4 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:40 AM

View PostLiz, on 18 January 2019 - 11:00 AM, said:

The agency was created in a panic after 9/11, when officials decided to blame private airport screeners for letting terrorists board planes with box cutters.

So, Congress, with the blessing of President Bush, nationalized airport screening and gave birth to the Transportation Security Administration, which has seen its budget climb more than 41% since 2005.

The result has been little short of a disaster of poor performance and wasteful spending.

Why stop there? Let's put the government in charge of our health care as well. What could go wrong?

#5 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:17 PM

The TSA should have been terminated 1/20/17

View PostRock N, on 18 January 2019 - 11:16 AM, said:

^my point

View PostTicked@TinselTown, on 18 January 2019 - 11:07 AM, said:

Most people do background checks to make sure they don't hire sexual predators.

Since the TSA seems to be chalk full of them, it shouldn't be a hard sell to purge the entire agency.

:exactly:

#6 User is offline   Bubbajoebob 

• M dwarf stars
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:26 PM

Airports can ditch the TSA and go with private screening companies. Some have. I wonder why more don't do it.

#7 User is offline   Censport 

• @CensportRacing

Posted 18 January 2019 - 12:49 PM

This is one of those blatantly obvious contradictions that I'm astounded the Left gets away with.

They're all worried about airport security to the point that I have to take my shoes and belt off at any commercial airport in the U.S., go through Immigration and Customs upon my return after being screened at the departure airport and spending 10 hours over the Pacific Ocean with nowhere to go but the toilet. And I'm a natural-born U.S. citizen!

"Are you carrying any tobacco, alcohol, fresh fruits, illegal substances, or large amounts of cash, sir?"

Me, traveling with only a backpack: "How the hell could I have boarded a plane in Tokyo with any of that? They have x-rays and scanners too."

But the Southern Border? No, let's not guard that or question anybody crossing it. Sure, there are violent criminals, disease carriers, terrorists, etc., crossing it every day. But stopping them would be racist, and that's worse than our citizens getting killed or raped. Small price to pay for doing the right thing, you know.

The whole thing pisses me off like you wouldn't believe.
:bang:

#8 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 18 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

Kabuki theater at its finest.

#9 User is offline   Confessor 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 21 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

View PostRock N, on 18 January 2019 - 11:16 AM, said:

They sure have done a good job of harassing Americans. Oh and feeling up little kids and nuns. All the while intentionally ignoring passengers who were obviously middle eastern but would scream profiling if singled out for additional screening. Americans who are doing nothing wrong won’t scream racism or prejudice like Muslims who cry “racism” or profiling when they are pulled for additional screening. Better to do random checks to make it “fair” rather than target the main offenders. Totally ineffective, but no one gets their widdle feewings hurt...

“It’s because I am muslim, right?” The correct answer “Yes. Yes it is. Stop killing innocents in the name of your false moon god and his pedophile prophet and we will talk about changing procedures”. Funny how the TSA was created to prevent terrorist events on planes, yet dodges that very responsibility. All the while managing to hire a majority of the dregs of society who can not even behave or follow policy.

I am quite sure that TSA fills its jobs with the “requisite government standards” of affirmative action and political favors. The TSA was a typical knee jerk reaction by the government to show it was addressing a problem. With the usual SOP of “fixing” the problem by throwing money, red tape, and MORE GOVERNMENT at it rather than fixing the problem.

For a lesson in how to conduct airport security, go study how Israel does it. Behavioral profiling and being fearless about who you might offend. Possibly offensive, but undoubtedly EFFECTIVE.

#10 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:41 AM

View PostConfessor, on 21 January 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

They sure have done a good job of harassing Americans. Oh and feeling up little kids and nuns. All the while intentionally ignoring passengers who were obviously middle eastern but would scream profiling if singled out for additional screening. Americans who are doing nothing wrong won’t scream racism or prejudice like Muslims who cry “racism” or profiling when they are pulled for additional screening. Better to do random checks to make it “fair” rather than target the main offenders. Totally ineffective, but no one gets their widdle feewings hurt...

“It’s because I am muslim, right?” The correct answer “Yes. Yes it is. Stop killing innocents in the name of your false moon god and his pedophile prophet and we will talk about changing procedures”. Funny how the TSA was created to prevent terrorist events on planes, yet dodges that very responsibility. All the while managing to hire a majority of the dregs of society who can not even behave or follow policy.

I am quite sure that TSA fills its jobs with the “requisite government standards” of affirmative action and political favors. The TSA was a typical knee jerk reaction by the government to show it was addressing a problem. With the usual SOP of “fixing” the problem by throwing money, red tape, and MORE GOVERNMENT at it rather than fixing the problem.

For a lesson in how to conduct airport security, go study how Israel does it. Behavioral profiling and being fearless about who you might offend. Possibly offensive, but undoubtedly EFFECTIVE.

So the TSA screeners should target middle eastern 'looking' people and let everyone else pass? Sure, that'll work. How do you know those dregs of society, as you call them haven't stopped a potentially dangerous person? The republicans in this country have really shown their utter contempt for public servants throughout this shutdown.

This post has been edited by Ladybird: 21 January 2019 - 10:43 AM

#11 User is offline   LeansToTheRight 

• Dr. Elson Floyd. RIP

Posted 21 January 2019 - 10:59 AM

View PostLadybird, on 21 January 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

So the TSA screeners should target middle eastern 'looking' people and let everyone else pass? Sure, that'll work. How do you know those dregs of society, as you call them haven't stopped a potentially dangerous person? The republicans in this country have really shown their utter contempt for public servants throughout this shutdown.

Public servants?

Have you seen all the reports on the ineffectiveness of the TSA? The overwhelming data on the behavioral issues with the TSA? Those aren’t “public servants”. Those are “public nuisance”. We can do better for our country, and we should.

#12 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:05 AM

You don’t travel much by air, do you?

BTW, I am a “public servait,” too. The TSA is no more effective than private screeners would be...but they are a lot less accountable.

#13 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:26 AM

View PostJerryL, on 21 January 2019 - 11:05 AM, said:

You don’t travel much by air, do you?

BTW, I am a “public servait,” too. The TSA is no more effective than private screeners would be...but they are a lot less accountable.

I travel plenty.

We've had how many skyjackings originating at a US airport since 9/11? It never ceases to amaze me how Americans after the attacks were willing to do anything, even endure long lines to ensure the flights were safe, but just a few short years later were whining about inconvenience or being searched like a 'common criminal'. I'm not saying there isn't a management problem with the TSA, but a private entity taking over this entire function may not be the magic bullet that will solve everything either.

#14 User is offline   Censport 

• @CensportRacing

Posted 21 January 2019 - 11:57 AM

I've yet to see anyone make a substantive argument against privatizing the TSA. Neither here nor anywhere else. Has such an argument even been attempted?

#15 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 21 January 2019 - 12:06 PM

:crybaby2:

View PostLeansToTheRight, on 21 January 2019 - 10:59 AM, said:

Public servants?

Have you seen all the reports on the ineffectiveness of the TSA? The overwhelming data on the behavioral issues with the TSA? Those aren’t “public servants”. Those are “public nuisance”. We can do better for our country, and we should.

:clap:

#16 User is offline   Confessor 

• <no title>
  • Group: 100+ Posts NonDonor

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:08 AM

Ah LB. You never fail to miss the point by trying to turn things racist. Where in my statement did I say target anyone? I said to not ignore the biggest perpetrators of terrorism because they, like you, will scream racism. “Public servants”? Wow. You would actually equate TSA agents to police and firefighters? You really are demented. When do they risk their lives or serve anything besides themselves?

I am sure they have stopped a few people. Very damned few based on their success during tests. Did you miss the part of the article that shows how “effective” their screeners are? Maybe if the TSA agents would stop misbehaving and staging sick outs they would take the time to learn how to do their jobs and actually do them. So yes, this worthless agency formed from a knee jerk reaction should be disbanded. And 0/10 for once again playing the race card.

#17 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:12 AM

View PostConfessor, on 22 January 2019 - 08:08 AM, said:

Ah LB. You never fail to miss the point by trying to turn things racist. Where in my statement did I say target anyone? I said to not ignore the biggest perpetrators of terrorism because they, like you, will scream racism. “Public servants”? Wow. You would actually equate TSA agents to police and firefighters? You really are demented. When do they risk their lives or serve anything besides themselves?

I am sure they have stopped a few people. Very damned few based on their success during tests. Did you miss the part of the article that shows how “effective” their screeners are? Maybe if the TSA agents would stop misbehaving and staging sick outs they would take the time to learn how to do their jobs and actually do them. So yes, this worthless agency formed from a knee jerk reaction should be disbanded. And 0/10 for once again playing the race card.

:clap:

#18 User is offline   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:56 AM

View PostLadybird, on 21 January 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

I travel plenty.

We've had how many skyjackings originating at a US airport since 9/11? It never ceases to amaze me how Americans after the attacks were willing to do anything, even endure long lines to ensure the flights were safe, but just a few short years later were whining about inconvenience or being searched like a 'common criminal'. I'm not saying there isn't a management problem with the TSA, but a private entity taking over this entire function may not be the magic bullet that will solve everything either.

If you travelled by air plenty both before and after then I am, frankly, speechless. That level of acceptance of government intrusion and control is completely foreign to me.

So you don't think that screeners in place would have been able to watch for all blades once the decision was to ban them on all flights? You don't think that the full body scanners could have been installed and operated without the creation of an entire new government agency?

And, there were many MANY people...myself included...who didn't want this and knew it was knee-jerk over reaction. There is a management problem with TSA. There is a hiring problem with TSA. And there is a day to day attitude and ineptitude problem with a significant portion of TSA agents. No one is talking about a magic bullet here. I am saying that TSA was never needed, period, even with added technologies and screening protocol.

Maybe you can answer my question...after at least one TSA agent has verified my ID and boarding card, what value added comes from the person with the rubber gloves who looks at the again and scribbles on my boarding card?

#19 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 22 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

So the TSA screeners should target middle eastern 'looking' people and let everyone else pass?

Let’s focus on that key question alone and cut the crap. Let’s just be unemotional.

I think that AIRPORT security (note, only talking airports here for now) should target and profile. Yes, that means currently a heavy bias that disfavors Muslim looking people. Sorry to some Indians who’ll get pulled over. But that’s just how it is. However, it shouldn’t be LIMITED to Muslim looking people. Trained security should be able to spot danger signs in anyone.

Once you step inside that large aluminum tube, political correctness by necessity does not board with people. The passengers are concerned about their own safety, and if being rude to some people will keep them alive, what do you think they and their loved ones would choose?

So let’s hear it LB. Should airport security profile? Yes or no? Please explain your opinion.

This post has been edited by zurg: 22 January 2019 - 08:59 AM

#20 User is offline   Noclevermoniker 

• Wire Dachsies Matter
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 22 January 2019 - 09:14 AM

Wake up. Nobody but your fellow travelers has expressed contempt.

View Postzurg, on 22 January 2019 - 08:57 AM, said:

Let’s focus on that key question alone and cut the crap. Let’s just be unemotional.

I think that AIRPORT security (note, only talking airports here for now) should target and profile. Yes, that means currently a heavy bias that disfavors Muslim looking people. Sorry to some Indians who’ll get pulled over. But that’s just how it is. However, it shouldn’t be LIMITED to Muslim looking people. Trained security should be able to spot danger signs in anyone.

Once you step inside that large aluminum tube, political correctness by necessity does not board with people. The passengers are concerned about their own safety, and if being rude to some people will keep them alive, what do you think they and their loved ones would choose?

So let’s hear it LB. Should airport security profile? Yes or no? Please explain your opinion.

She's too busy being RBW to understand anything you write.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users