RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Your Favorite Decade? - RightNation.US

-----

Your Favorite Decade?

I just finished watching a hilarious movie/ documentary by Allen Funt (Candid Camera) called "Money Talks." The basics? What would you do for money? Would you try to move a car with the tire sitting on a five dollar bill? Would you work answering phones for a well to do business man only to find out answering the phone led to,"How much would it cost to off people and can I get a discount?" What would you do if you were following a woman who kept dropping money on the street? Would you actually trust a "money washer" only to find it shredding all your bills? Asking a little girl if it were better to be rich or poor---which would she think is better? And the old game of glueing dollar bills to the street.

Many of you all reading this may not remember the 70s. The music, the great TV shows, Bugs Bunny all Saturday morning at nine am (my dad and I would watch this religiously and die laughing), the movies that were oh so dramatic and how they ended leaving you with a "I don't get the ending and what happened next?!?! It can't end like this!!!", oh--and the horror shows. Some of the scariest horror shows. The cars and the colours of the cars. They did seem to run forever though---didn't they? No seatbelts, no car seats. How many of you wore a body harness in the car that still allowed you to stand up? How many of you were actually left in the car with the windows down while mom ran into the store? The candy---buttons where you ate them with your teeth scraping them off the strip of paper. Wax bottles you could chew and that wonderful little squirt of juice then chewing the wax the rest of the day. Shag rugs anyone? Houses decorated in brown and orange? (Where's Lori's baby picture??? ;) )

So, what was your favorite decade? What do you remember? Sure, safety increased each decade but what horrifying things do you remember you were allowed to do that people would gasp at today? The colours, the hair, the clothes, the TV shows, the movies, the house decorations, the music, the cars, etc. Take a walk down memory lane and (to be corney).......

You're on Candid Camera!!!!!

25 Comments On This Entry

You had a faux bomber jacket?? :lol: Just kidding. I was looking at mine just today--it's in Dante's closet. You are welcome to it. It still has the map inside. :) How many buttons did you wear? I forgot all about those buttons! I had alot of Prince ones and U2 ones. I also pierced my ear in Religion class with the Prince one. Remember how people would pierce their earlobe with two holes above the center one making a triangle and then buy mini earrings to "compliment" the main hanging earring?

Oh--here's one. How may of you braided barrets and added beads to the strands hanging down?

Did I mention I was kicked out of Catholic school my freshman year? All the detentions and then purposely failing three classes so I could go to the public school nearby. I was banned from that school and my parents were LIVID.

Dublin5, on Aug 3 2009, 12:37 AM, said:

You had a faux bomber jacket?? :) Just kidding. I was looking at mine just today--it's in Dante's closet. You are welcome to it. It still has the map inside. :lol: How many buttons did you wear? I forgot all about those buttons! I had alot of Prince ones and U2 ones. I also pierced my ear in Religion class with the Prince one. Remember how people would pierce their earlobe with two holes above the center one making a triangle and then buy mini earrings to "compliment" the main hanging earring?

Oh--here's one. How may of you braided barrets and added beads to the strands hanging down?

Did I mention I was kicked out of Catholic school my freshman year? All the detentions and then purposely failing three classes so I could go to the public school nearby. I was banned from that school and my parents were LIVID.

Dammit Dub! You're bringing up a painful time for me! I was like the Ally Sheedy character in The Breakfast Club (minus the dandruff) in my faux hand-me-down bomber jacket! :) :D

I wasn't really a button girl, and my mom wouldn't even let me get my ears pierced until I was sixteen. I do remember the funky things that other girls would do with their earrings. Piercing your own ear in religion class? :) I was a wild child too, and I think that my mom felt if she just held her ground on the ear-piercing, we both might survive my teenage years! :D

Dublin5, on Aug 2 2009, 07:22 PM, said:

Horseman--awww. What is hugger orange and did you get to see all the movies free? How much did they cost?

Yes, I never paid for a movie the whole time I was in high school. I think movies cost about $2.50 by the time I joined the army in the summer of '76. When I started working there, the hourly wage was 80 cents an hour for the kids under 18, then I think went up to $1.60 an hour. I really can't remember though.

Hugger Orange was a color Chevrolet came out with in (I think) 1967 or 1968. It was very distinctive and is making a comeback.
I am still an 80's music & movie junkie! Duran Duran and Sixteen Candles. :)

Do you remember riding your bike down a hill with your feet off the pedals and your legs out to the side, just flying? And not wearing any helmuts or knee/elbow pads!

I remember riding in the back of my father's truck when we went up to my grandparent's house (about a 10 minute drive).

And who could beat 80's fashions with all the neon and plastic. I recently found a pair of huge white plastic hoop earrings and I had to buy them! They were just too amazing not too. :lol:

Slow "dancing" at the roller rink and playing Pac-Man at the arcade.

Pop rocks and candy cigarettes. :lol:
Ex---yes, I tried REALLY hard to be kicked out of that school. It had no senior class and no bleachers so you can imagine. Oh, no proms and the dances were 12 hour lockdown. Fun fun fun! I needed a life. I pictured HS to be so much fun and this place was a nightmare since it had just opened as one of the Catholic schools in the area. :lol: on the Ally Sheedy references!!!! :lol:

Horseman (I hope I thanked you for your service. :) )--movies were for me...I think around 4-5 dollars w/ the matinees at 2.50.
I found a pic of Hugger Orange and it's nice!

http://i32.tinypic.com/21abrwn.jpg

OMG, Siren, the roller and iceskating rinks!!!! I so forgot about those until you mentioned that!!!! The "couples" skating and "REVERSE!" I LIVED there!!! I had forgotten about the earrings, too! I had a pair that had a black circle on top and a long upside down triangle glued to the underside of the black circle. I also had red plaid dangle ones, white hoops made out of leather......

We'd play at the arcade and I remember when Dragon's Lair came out. 50 cents a game but I loved it. I was QUEEN of Tempest!!!! :P
  • 3 Pages +

Be Yourself. Everyone is already taken.

http://img.photobuck.../Dsc00535-1.jpgI know when the Spirit of God is there, animals are the first ones to mellow out."If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935"The poor dog, in life the firmest friend,The first to welcome, foremost to defend,Whose honest heart is still the master's own,Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,Unhonour'd falls, unnoticed all his worth,Denied in heaven the soul he held on earth,While man, vain insect hopes to be forgiven,And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven."Lord Byron Inscription on the monument of his Newfoundland dog, 1808" He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He willbe yours, faithful and true, to the last beatof his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy ofsuch devotion." Unknown

The Nauseatingly Cute Section

Links

Help Support Rightnation.US!Click HERE!Visit our store!Click HERE to shop!

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays