RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: The UK's giant aircraft carriers - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The UK's giant aircraft carriers Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 04 September 2018 - 05:50 PM

BBC News

(excerpt)

'A century ago the UK started work on the world's first purpose-built aircraft carrier.

Soon the first jets will fly off the massive deck of her latest successor - the giant HMS Queen Elizabeth. Along with her sister ship, HMS Prince of Wales, they’re the largest warships ever to be built for the Royal Navy. The navy and the government believe they’re a statement of global ambition and intent. But there are critics who wonder whether the UK has made a huge mistake.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rcraft_carriers

#2 User is offline   Liz 

• 1.4% Neanderthal
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 04 September 2018 - 06:54 PM

View Postscotsman, on 04 September 2018 - 05:50 PM, said:

BBC News

(excerpt)

'A century ago the UK started work on the world's first purpose-built aircraft carrier.

Soon the first jets will fly off the massive deck of her latest successor - the giant HMS Queen Elizabeth. Along with her sister ship, HMS Prince of Wales, they’re the largest warships ever to be built for the Royal Navy. The navy and the government believe they’re a statement of global ambition and intent. But there are critics who wonder whether the UK has made a huge mistake.'

Fascinating! Thanks for posting this, scotsman. As I may have mentioned, both my maternal grandfather and my mother were officers in the British Royal Navy and I've long had an interest is things nautical. My father was a captain in the American Coast Guard and I was fortunate to have been afforded some guided tours on a few American aircraft carriers.

#3 User is offline   corporal_little 

• What is your major malfunction....

Posted 04 September 2018 - 07:38 PM

More interesting info:

https://www.globalse...ld/carriers.htm

#4 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 04 September 2018 - 08:37 PM

BBC News

(excerpt)

And I had always thought the HMS Vanguard was Britain's largest ship! It is not. However, I will say I toured the Nimitz with my daughter when she was serving as a Nuclear Electrician's Mate E5 for four years. It is even bigger. I KNEW the size of the Nimitz but didn't really know it until I was aboard! I hope you get a chance to tour that ship-I am sure you will be impressed.

#5 User is offline   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>

Posted 04 September 2018 - 09:19 PM

Glad we’re on the same side!

#6 User is offline   GRB1959 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 04 September 2018 - 10:29 PM

Very impressive indeed. It is nice to have such capable allies on the other side of the pond.

Gord

#7 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable

Posted 05 September 2018 - 02:24 AM

Magnificent beasts, to be sure. I'm curious about the dual bridges. Need to read up.

#8 User is online   JerryL 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 05 September 2018 - 03:25 AM

BBC News

(excerpt)

Very nice. It will add a capability to the RN that you have been missing for a while.

Still, it reminds me of when I was stationed with the French Navy (NATO Liaison) in Toulon. I loved to walk around with French officers, point at the Charles-de-Gaulle at her pier, and ask "What is that ship? It looks a lot like an aircraft carrier, only smaller."

#9 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 05 September 2018 - 08:36 AM

View PostJerryL, on 05 September 2018 - 03:25 AM, said:

Very nice. It will add a capability to the RN that you have been missing for a while.

Still, it reminds me of when I was stationed with the French Navy (NATO Liaison) in Toulon. I loved to walk around with French officers, point at the Charles-de-Gaulle at her pier, and ask "What is that ship? It looks a lot like an aircraft carrier, only smaller."

:D

#10 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>

Posted 05 September 2018 - 11:50 AM

Not as big as most U.S. Carriers, and maybe not quite as capable. But none the less a force to be reckoned with and something our United Kingdom blood brothers and sisters can take pride in. Either way, this Yank is damn happy and proud to see our friends across the pond fielding a ship that will let the world know the U.K. is not washed up and WILL put the hurt on if they are f'd with.

Oki

#11 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:09 PM

Cool, where's the other half of it? :whistling:

Good to see the UK finally field a new ship with new air capabilities.

#12 User is offline   ASE 

• You do NOT have a right to NOT BE OFFENDED!!
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 05 September 2018 - 06:27 PM

My concern is the fact that very large ships can be crippled or sunk with a relatively small number of anti-chip (nuke tipped) cruise missles.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users