RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: TCF Bank apologizes for calling police on black customer trying to dep - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

TCF Bank apologizes for calling police on black customer trying to dep Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   kestrel 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:08 PM

freep.com
TCF Bank apologizes for calling police on black customer trying to deposit checks
Tresa Baldas, Detroit Free Press
TCF Bank says it should not have called police on an African American customer who was trying to deposit three checks that were part of a race discrimination lawsuit settlement with his former employer.

The bank suspected the checks were fraudulent and called police, triggering a race discrimination lawsuit against the bank on Wednesday by Sauntore Thomas, 44, of Detroit, who says he was humiliated after four officers showed up at the bank when he was trying to cash the checks.

ďWe apologize for the experience Mr. Thomas had at our banking center. Local police should not have been involved," TCF said in a statement Thursday. "We strongly condemn racism and discrimination of any kind. We take extra precautions involving large deposits and requests for cash and in this case, we were unable to validate the checks presented by Mr. Thomas and regret we could not meet his needs.Ē

According to TCF, the checks that Thomas presented displayed a watermark that read VOID when they were scanned in a web viewer, which raised suspicion for fraud.

The checks, though, were legitimate as Thomas deposited them that same day at a Chase bank in Detroit and they cleared within 12 hours, said his lawyer, Deborah Gordon.

"Iím very pleased about the apology. That needed to be done, and Iím glad itís been done," said Gordon, adding her client "felt the same way when I told him."

"We donít know what it means in the future, but at least thereís been an apology and thatís a positive step," said Gordon, noting that in her 40 years of practicing employment law, she has never had a client call her from a bank saying that the cops were called on them.

"Iíve had black clients call me from banks with problems," Gordon said. "But I have never had a client turned away from a bank empty-handed, without being able to finish his transaction. And I never had the police called."

TCF's apology came hours after the Free Press published an article about Thomas' experience at the branch on Middlebelt Road in Livonia, where he went Tuesday to deposit his lawsuit settlement checks.

According to Thomas, he met with an assistant manager to open an additional savings account and told her that he wanted to deposit the checks and withdraw some cash.

Thomas did not disclose the amount of the settlement checks as it was part of a confidential lawsuit settlement.

According to Thomas, the assistant bank manager appeared suspicious, explained the checks would need to be ďverifiedĒ and walked to a back area to "call in the checks" before asking him: "How did you get this money?"

<snip>

Kestrel...

This post has been edited by Liz: 24 January 2020 - 03:55 PM
Reason for edit: Please read How To Properly Post News Articles

#2 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:32 PM

View Postkestrel, on 24 January 2020 - 03:08 PM, said:

Scanner "misread a watermark?" Sounds like crap to me...I hope he fry's their ass for this!

Kestrel...

It's a relatively new thing. Not all checks have that, but you can order them that way:

https://www.safechecks.com/images/our-checks/abagnale-superbusinesscheck/copy-void-pantograph.jpghttps://www.safechecks.com/images/our-checks/abagnale-superbusinesscheck/copy-void-pantograph-security.jpg
"This patented security feature is an indiscernible dot pattern designed into the SuperBusinessCheck. When the check is copied or scanned by many copiers, the word "void" appears and invalidates the copy."

https://www.safechec...sinesscheck.php

#3 User is offline   LeansToTheRight 

• Dr. Elson Floyd. RIP
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 24 January 2020 - 03:41 PM

I have a hard time believing this was about race - from the little info from the article. I agree the bank made an error in handling the situation, but that had nothing to do with the guys skin color.

#4 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:07 PM

Why I like credit unions instead of commercial banks. I donít even have an account with the local one, but since I have a membership in a different one downstate, they take care most anything I need, barring a loan.

#5 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:07 PM

three checks that were part of a race discrimination lawsuit settlement with his former employer.

Something doesn't pass the smell test on this one in my opinion and it appears suspicious.

Here this guy has already had an alleged discrimination case filed/won against an employer and now this happens? :huh:

What are the chances of it happening yet again right now?

We are supposed to believe that this guy has this sort of luck or perhaps he and/or his lawyer may be setting these businesses up/entrapping them?

How much cash was he trying to withdraw? If it was five figures or more there would have been a red flag upon anyone who tried this regardless of their race.

I've known people who have tried to withdraw five figures in cash from their bank accounts before and their bankers had flipped out and made all kinds of wild false accusations and excuses to try to deny them their cash and even reported it to the feds and the IRS. All of this for them just getting their own money out of the bank?

Turns out that it's been normal procedure since 9/11 and the Patriot act. <_<

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 24 January 2020 - 04:17 PM

#6 User is offline   Mrdirt73 

• Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up.

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:51 PM

I find it difficult to believe that an assistant manager at a bank has never run across a check that displays "void" when scanned. I recently started scanning checks for deposit at my work and ran into them within the first week of doing it.

#7 User is online   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:01 PM

But that white guy over there that we called the police on? Yeah, no regrets on that one. He canít sue.

#8 User is offline   Junto 

• <no title>

Posted 24 January 2020 - 06:11 PM

View PostRock N, on 24 January 2020 - 04:07 PM, said:

Something doesn't pass the smell test on this one in my opinion and it appears suspicious.

Here this guy has already had an alleged discrimination case filed/won against an employer and now this happens? :huh:

We are supposed to believe that this guy has this sort of luck or perhaps he and/or his lawyer may be setting these businesses up/entrapping them?

How much cash was he trying to withdraw? If it was five figures or more there would have been a red flag upon anyone who tried this regardless of their race.

I've known people who have tried to withdraw five figures in cash from their bank accounts before and their bankers had flipped out and made all kinds of wild false accusations and excuses to try to deny them their cash and even reported it to the feds and the IRS. All of this for them just getting their own money out of the bank?

He bought a 2004 Dodge Durango with his money, so I'm guessing he got less than $5,000.

#9 User is online   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:38 PM

View PostMrdirt73, on 24 January 2020 - 04:51 PM, said:

I find it difficult to believe that an assistant manager at a bank has never run across a check that displays "void" when scanned. I recently started scanning checks for deposit at my work and ran into them within the first week of doing it.

I *think* it's a fairly new thing. I only heard about it within the last few months, and of course immediately ordered some. It's entirely plausible that a particular asst Mgr hadn't yet seen one.

I *hate* writing checks. I used to print my own checks for the Smithee org. You can buy check blanks at office depot etc and print your own using a program called VersaCheck. I think even QuickBooks will do that now. The obvious problem? *ANYBODY* can print checks in my name if they intercept one that's been mailed and thus know the routing code and account number...

Ö Up until now. Now, my bank only accepts "SafeChecks" against the Smithee account that have a number of security features including this. Unlike plain checks, you can't print your own, you can't buy the blank stock. You can't even scan or photocopy one and make it look like that.

And... as Paul Harvey would say, "the rest of the story": The guy who came up with the whole "SafeCheck" concept? None other than Frank W. Abagnale, (in)famous check forger/kiter back in the day and subject of the book/film "Catch Me If You Can" but now one of the good guys.

FWIW, same applies to photocopying currency. Nevermind that you can't BUY the blank stock that the treasury uses. Not a problem, there's a whole amateur papermaking niche out there all about making ANY paper, up to and including this (It's really NOT that difficult to make your own "High Rag" paper like currency is printed on.) The problem is all the additional security features, that make it all but impossible... IF the person you're passing it to knows what to look for. Somewhere I've got a souvenir GWB "43 Dollar" bill. And I'm fairly certain that somewhere out there is a convenience store clerk - likely a millennial - who would accept it as cash.

(And those "counterfeit detector" pens you can buy at office depot etc? Oh, puh-lease. They're basically a 'litmus test', their yellow ink changes color based on acid content of the paper. They might catch the rankest of amateurs, but that's about it.)(they're little more than salve to absolve the store clerk of doing "due diligence", woe be unto any clerk who DOESN'T do at least this to any $20 or higher) )

#10 User is offline   kestrel 

• <no title>

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:31 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 24 January 2020 - 03:32 PM, said:

It's a relatively new thing. Not all checks have that, but you can order them that way:

https://www.safechecks.com/images/our-checks/abagnale-superbusinesscheck/copy-void-pantograph.jpghttps://www.safechecks.com/images/our-checks/abagnale-superbusinesscheck/copy-void-pantograph-security.jpg
"This patented security feature is an indiscernible dot pattern designed into the SuperBusinessCheck. When the check is copied or scanned by many copiers, the word "void" appears and invalidates the copy."

https://www.safechec...sinesscheck.php

The checks, though, were legitimate as Thomas deposited them that same day at a Chase bank in Detroit and they cleared within 12 hours, said his lawyer, Deborah Gordon. and so explain this? I'm not buying I think they screwed him whether it was due to racism or not is another story...
Kestrel...

#11 User is offline   kestrel 

• <no title>

Posted 24 January 2020 - 08:37 PM

Turns out that it's been normal procedure since 9/11 and the Patriot act. http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

I'm not sure on the race angle either but if I was black and just had a case of workplace racism and on top of that in Detroit..and then to have a Chase Inc Bank deal with this issue in twelve hours..(Pick up the phone and call the issuing bank and say...wait for it..."IS THIS CHECK GOOD?..Seems a no brainer to me.
Kestrel...

#12 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:15 PM

Okay, where to start...

Most banks will hold part or all of the funds of a check until it clears. The idea that "it cleared in 12 ours" is a statement made by this guy's lawyer and it may or may not be true. It usually takes around 12 to 24 hours but can take longer and most banks' policy is that it could take up to 5 business days for the funds to clear.

Bank tellers don't "flip out" because a customer has to fill out forms. It certainly isn't anything personal from the lowest employee in a bank. She's doing her job. Regulations by the FDIC has required identification and documentation on any cash deposit or withdrawal over a certain amount since the feds got involved in the 1930's. During my time in the mid 1990's it was anything over $5,000. It is now over $10,000. If the bank doesn't do it, they are fined by the feds.

View PostLadybird, on 24 January 2020 - 04:07 PM, said:

Why I like credit unions instead of commercial banks. I donít even have an account with the local one, but since I have a membership in a different one downstate, they take care most anything I need, barring a loan.

Depending on the state, most banks have the same policy. In some states, each individual branch is run as a separate bank, no matter the parent company, where most other states, the branches are run from a central location. Credit unions work the same way. In fact credit unions are required to follow NCUA regulations which allows them to hold funds until cleared from another financial institution.

I doubt this was race related but since everything from football or Oreos is politicalized these days, the bank apologized and another race hustling lawyer will get a rich payday.

#13 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 24 January 2020 - 09:42 PM

View PostMagic Rat, on 24 January 2020 - 09:15 PM, said:

Bank tellers don't "flip out" because a customer has to fill out forms. It certainly isn't anything personal from the lowest employee in a bank. She's doing her job. Regulations by the FDIC has required identification and documentation on any cash deposit or withdrawal over a certain amount since the feds got involved in the 1930's. During my time in the mid 1990's it was anything over $5,000. It is now over $10,000. If the bank doesn't do it, they are fined by the feds.

Where did I say anything about a teller flipping out because of a customer having to fill out any forms?

Just try to draw out five figures of your own money out of any bank these days (in cash) and they will practically have a conniption fit.

The feds have no damned business in such matters. It's not their damned money.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 24 January 2020 - 09:48 PM

#14 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>

Posted 24 January 2020 - 10:17 PM

View PostRock N, on 24 January 2020 - 09:42 PM, said:

Where did I say anything about a teller flipping out because of a customer having to fill out any forms?

I know you are a paranoid but I wasn't aware that you were an illiterate.

Bank tellers don't "flip out" because a customer has to fill out forms.

See that? The bolded? I mean the BOLDED or the BOLDED?

I said that because they don't care. It is nothing particularly unusual. It is simply a step they and the customer have to make at an FDIC, NCUA, FLIC or any other federally protected institution.

This is one of many things you are totally ignorant about but invent scenarios about "friends" or whatever. I'm surprised you didn't claim the teller kicked the door of his truck at the same time.

Just try to draw out five figures of your own money out of any bank these days (in cash) and they will practically have a conniption fit.

The feds have no damned business in such matters. It's not their damned money.

No they wouldn't. I have a personal banker, so in the unlikely event that I wanted to pull out over $10,000 in cash, it would be waiting after at the teller window. All I have to do is call her. Of course, I would also be required to fill out the proper IRS forms because that is an FDIC regulation. Just like your imaginary friend was required to do in your tall tale.

If you don't like it, do business at a bank that is not federally insured or hide it under your mattress or whatever and that will leave the fed out of it.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users