RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: LA Teacher Who Slugged Student Gets Outpouring Of Support - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

LA Teacher Who Slugged Student Gets Outpouring Of Support Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

  • Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 27,340
  • Joined: 01-April 03

  Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:19 PM

LA Teacher Who Slugged Student Gets Outpouring Of Support
Hollywood Patch - Paige Austin - link

<TSTE>

LOS ANGELES, CA Supporters of a Los Angeles music teacher arrested for repeatedly punching a teenage student Friday in a fight captured on video have raised more than $45,000 in his defense.

The surprise outpouring for Maywood Academy High School teacher Marston Riley, 64, comes as he faces possible criminal prosecution and dismissal for his role in the classroom brawl with a student. Supporters of the longtime music teacher contend the video, which shows him wailing on the teen, doesn't show the verbal and physical abuse he's endured.

"Mr. Riley is a music teacher at Maywood Academy High School. He has earned the respect of many teachers, staff and students. Unfortunately, over the past few years unpleasant events have happened to him. Despite all that has happened, he has continued to do what he loves the most, to teach music," wrote Maywood resident Cecilia Diaz Jimenez, who created a GoFundMe page for the teacher. "We all may have mixed feelings about what happened. But please do know that this is not the first time that Mr. Riley is attacked; physically or verbally. He is a great person and a great teacher."

Riley was arrested Friday on suspicion of committing cruelty against a child not long after the fight with his student. He was released on $50,000 bail Saturday and remains under investigation.
The confrontation between Marston Riley and the student occurred at 1:30 p.m. Friday at Maywood Academy High School at 6125 Pine Ave., according to the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. The school is part of the Los Angeles Unified School District.

Video showed Riley slugging it out with the student as other students and a woman wearing a yellow safety vest try to intervene. Some students could be seen recording the fight on their cell phones.
********************

The video tells a different story.

He could have sent the kid out of the class for being disruptive and rude to him, but instead he chose to prove he's a thug who has no control over himself like a reasonable adult in charge of children should be able to call upon.

There is no excuse, period.
0

#2 User is offline   LongKnife 

  • Don't start none, won't be none.
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,851
  • Joined: 10-November 04

Posted 05 November 2018 - 09:45 PM

Fire the teacher and expel the young thug. Their behaviors were both unacceptable.
0

#3 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,198
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:29 AM

https://www.youtube....h?v=gKzPX6Eu2Z4

Wow! Yes, the teacher has to be fired. He's 64, so maybe they'll let him retire.


Maybe that little <censored>head will think twice before mouthing off at his elders.
0

#4 User is offline   Diamond369 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 10,009
  • Joined: 03-May 04

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:58 AM

I agree with both of you. I hate it when people record controversial and even violent things. Whatever happened to intervention?
0

#5 User is offline   DJGoody 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 555
  • Joined: 07-June 16

Posted 06 November 2018 - 12:25 PM

View PostLadybird, on 06 November 2018 - 04:29 AM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=gKzPX6Eu2Z4

Wow! Yes, the teacher has to be fired. He's 64, so maybe they'll let him retire.


Maybe that little <censored>head will think twice before mouthing off at his elders.



I have mixed feelings on this. I was a teacher for a time, and students know that if they get kicked out of class they will be right back in class the next period. Most administrations don't support the teachers in a way that they did back even 30 years ago. They don't support the teachers because the parents don't support discipline... "Not my child!" I suspect this teacher just got sick of the b-llsh-t after so many years! I know I am speculating, but that is my take. Old man got sick of the disrespectful little brats!
0

#6 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 53,575
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:19 PM

View PostDJGoody, on 06 November 2018 - 12:25 PM, said:

I have mixed feelings on this. I was a teacher for a time, and students know that if they get kicked out of class they will be right back in class the next period. Most administrations don't support the teachers in a way that they did back even 30 years ago. They don't support the teachers because the parents don't support discipline... "Not my child!" I suspect this teacher just got sick of the b-llsh-t after so many years! I know I am speculating, but that is my take. Old man got sick of the disrespectful little brats!


Yeah, that's why I know I could never be a teacher. No reason, no excuse, no matter what, will ever hold up in defense of this teacher's actions. You just can't do this kind of stuff when you're a teacher. It doesn't matter if the kid deserves it. It doesn't matter if the kid is asking for it. It doesn't matter how long the teacher has been putting up with it. None of it matters.

And therefore I could never be a teacher, because I wouldn't put up with that kinda crap either.

B)
0

#7 User is offline   DJGoody 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 555
  • Joined: 07-June 16

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:48 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 06 November 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

Yeah, that's why I know I could never be a teacher. No reason, no excuse, no matter what, will ever hold up in defense of this teacher's actions. You just can't do this kind of stuff when you're a teacher. It doesn't matter if the kid deserves it. It doesn't matter if the kid is asking for it. It doesn't matter how long the teacher has been putting up with it. None of it matters.

And therefore I could never be a teacher, because I wouldn't put up with that kinda crap either.

B)



I completely agree with you! One of the reasons I got out. Hell, when I was a kid in Catholic school and a nun smacked me, and my father heard about it... He would have smacked me again for getting in trouble. Times have changed!
0

#8 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

  • Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 27,340
  • Joined: 01-April 03

Posted 06 November 2018 - 04:26 PM

The punk should have been ousted from the classroom as soon as he chucked the ball or whatever it was at the teacher.

The teacher walked away from him several times before he started throwing punches.

As someone with some life experience under his belt, I would have hoped he could have conducted himself better than the surly, foul mouthed punk in his classroom.

If he's incapable of dealing with the rigors of his job, then he needs to retire or find another that suits his temperament.

He certainly should not be championed as a role model in the community.
0

#9 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 19,564
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:19 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 06 November 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

Yeah, that's why I know I could never be a teacher. No reason, no excuse, no matter what, will ever hold up in defense of this teacher's actions. You just can't do this kind of stuff when you're a teacher. It doesn't matter if the kid deserves it. It doesn't matter if the kid is asking for it. It doesn't matter how long the teacher has been putting up with it. None of it matters.

And therefore I could never be a teacher, because I wouldn't put up with that kinda crap either.

B)


I *have* been a teacher, tho at the Community College and Corporate level. It's FUN, once you get past the fear of public speaking. Give me maybe 6 on the lower end to maybe 20 or 30 on the upper end - people who are genuinely interested - I can "work it"; I can "weave" it and get a synergy going to where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. "Large" crowds? Not so much. I've done 'lectures' at, for instance, Syracuse U in an auditorium. Not my thing. Kinda fell flat,

But, back on topic. Largely the same reason why I've never even TRIED to me an LEO, much as I respect "Law and Order" (The concept, not the TV series. LOL) Yeah, I could be be a great "Andy Griffith" from mayberry. I could do a reasonable Rod Steiger/Carroll O'Conner "In the heat of the night".

But.. that's not ME. I'd be more akin to "Bruce Banner" played excellently by Bill Bixby back in the day: "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry".
0

#10 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 53,575
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:01 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 06 November 2018 - 07:19 PM, said:

I *have* been a teacher, tho at the Community College and Corporate level. It's FUN, once you get past the fear of public speaking. Give me maybe 6 on the lower end to maybe 20 or 30 on the upper end - people who are genuinely interested - I can "work it"; I can "weave" it and get a synergy going to where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. "Large" crowds? Not so much. I've done 'lectures' at, for instance, Syracuse U in an auditorium. Not my thing. Kinda fell flat,

But, back on topic. Largely the same reason why I've never even TRIED to me an LEO, much as I respect "Law and Order" (The concept, not the TV series. LOL) Yeah, I could be be a great "Andy Griffith" from mayberry. I could do a reasonable Rod Steiger/Carroll O'Conner "In the heat of the night".

But.. that's not ME. I'd be more akin to "Bruce Banner" played excellently by Bill Bixby back in the day: "Don't make me angry. You wouldn't like me when I'm angry".


Well "fear of public speaking" is no factor in my case, LOL. Been doing it for decades. Dozens or thousands, makes no difference to me. But I know myself well enough to know I couldn't put up with some smart@$$ punk mouthing off at me while I'm trying to teach.

<_<
0

#11 User is offline   Junto 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 631
  • Joined: 19-January 06

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:15 PM

My dad tells the story of growing up and attending elementary school in a small rural community in Ohio back in the 50s. There was an old spinster 1st grade teacher with a low tolerance for kids being kids and had actually once slammed a boy against a locker and broke his arm. Nothing was done to her as she was still teaching when my dad was there. One day he smarted off to her and she slapped him across the face really hard. All he remembered thinking was he hoped she wouldn't tell his parents (because they would have done worse to him) and also glad she didn't break his arm like the other boy.

Different times we live in, indeed.

This post has been edited by Junto: 06 November 2018 - 09:19 PM

0

#12 User is offline   Junto 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 631
  • Joined: 19-January 06

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:51 PM

View PostJunto, on 06 November 2018 - 09:15 PM, said:

My dad tells the story of growing up and attending elementary school in a small rural community in Ohio back in the 50s. There was an old spinster 1st grade teacher with a low tolerance for kids being kids and had actually once slammed a boy against a locker and broke his arm. Nothing was done to her as she was still teaching when my dad was there. One day he smarted off to her and she slapped him across the face really hard. All he remembered thinking was he hoped she wouldn't tell his parents (because they would have done worse to him) and also glad she didn't break his arm like the other boy.

Different times we live in, indeed.


Forgot to add, I do not hit/slap my kids and do not wish for either yours or mine to be slapped/punched at school by the staff. It is just interesting how different times we live in now. I myself was paddled often, even at school.
0

#13 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 53,575
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:00 PM

In my schools in the 60s & early 70s several teachers had wooden paddles for the express purpose of whacking the butts of misbehaving kids.

There weren't very many misbehaving kids. Gee, I wonder why not?

;)
0

#14 User is offline   Alexis 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 1,706
  • Joined: 14-January 06

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:58 PM

View PostDJGoody, on 06 November 2018 - 03:48 PM, said:

I completely agree with you! One of the reasons I got out. Hell, when I was a kid in Catholic school and a nun smacked me, and my father heard about it... He would have smacked me again for getting in trouble. Times have changed!


You knew better than to tell your parents because you'd get another licking for "annoying the nun"!
0

#15 User is offline   grimreefer 

  • U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter
  • Posts: 4,344
  • Joined: 18-December 03

Posted 08 November 2018 - 08:03 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 06 November 2018 - 11:00 PM, said:

In my schools in the 60s & early 70s several teachers had wooden paddles for the express purpose of whacking the butts of misbehaving kids.

There weren't very many misbehaving kids. Gee, I wonder why not?

;)

I was a slow learner when it came to obeying authority in elementary school. Nothing serious, but I was very familiar with the paddle. :blush:

View PostAlexis, on 07 November 2018 - 02:58 PM, said:

You knew better than to tell your parents because you'd get another licking for "annoying the nun"!

Every infraction required two. Once in school... and then the bad one when I got home. :zip:
0

#16 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

  • School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 19,564
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:43 PM

View Postgrimreefer, on 08 November 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

I was a slow learner when it came to obeying authority in elementary school. Nothing serious, but I was very familiar with the paddle. :blush:


Slow Learner in that regard as well. I can remember the exact thing. Road trip from southern Indiana to Toledo OH late '60s. We stop at a burger-whatever. "I'd like mine with lettuce and mayonnaise, ma'am, please" as polite as could be (because that's how i was I was raised) I got nixed. According to my father, hamburgers needed Mustard, Ketchup, Pickle, no more no less.

This may seem inconsequential. It's Trivial even. But it was that EXACT moment that I realized that my parents were A-holes. I was 8 YO at the time. All else springs from that.

View Postgrimreefer, on 08 November 2018 - 08:03 AM, said:

Every infraction required two. Once in school... and then the bad one when I got home. :zip:


I'd take the school one any day.
0

#17 User is offline   Junto 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 631
  • Joined: 19-January 06

Posted 08 November 2018 - 07:22 PM

https://www.picclickimg.com/d/w1600/pict/352358923676_/SportCraft-Jokari-Champ-Model-Wooden-Paddles-Racquet.jpg

My mom found a set of these at a garage sale. Ideally weighted, pressed/laminated wood with a comfortable rubber grip. Until this point all the paddles she tried would break on my brother and I within a few weeks. Not these paddles - they were perhaps the most effective paddle a parent could ask for. My mom donated them to the school when we got too old to spank.
0

#18 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 53,575
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:12 PM

LOL

The paddles at my junior-high (I guess they call it "middle school" now. 7th 8th & 9th grade) were all made to the same basic pattern in the school's woodshop. But each teacher could customize their own. For example, the one used by the woodshop teacher himself had the letters "W-O-O-D S-H-O-P" backwards cut into the wood. Therefore after getting whacked by that board, next time you showered after gym class the words "WOOD SHOP" appeared across your butt in bright red letters, LOLOLOL.

Another teacher had little "whistles" embedded in his, so that as the paddle was descending upon your butt, it actually made a whistling sound. You could tell how hard the whack was gonna be by how shrill the whistling was.

LOL

:lol:
0

#19 User is online   Italian Biker 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 3,948
  • Joined: 13-November 03

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:27 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 06 November 2018 - 03:19 PM, said:

Yeah, that's why I know I could never be a teacher. No reason, no excuse, no matter what, will ever hold up in defense of this teacher's actions. You just can't do this kind of stuff when you're a teacher. It doesn't matter if the kid deserves it. It doesn't matter if the kid is asking for it. It doesn't matter how long the teacher has been putting up with it. None of it matters.

And therefore I could never be a teacher, because I wouldn't put up with that kinda crap either.

B)

I didn't watch the video from this situation so I won't say yet, but there have been issues where teachers have been attacked, and I believe they should have the right to defend themselves.
0

#20 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 53,575
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:23 AM

View PostItalian Biker, on 08 November 2018 - 10:27 PM, said:

I didn't watch the video from this situation so I won't say yet, but there have been issues where teachers have been attacked, and I believe they should have the right to defend themselves.


Well the opening article specifically mentions previous problems, not the first time he was attacked, etc. As I said, none of that excuses him. I realize there's just no excuse. And that's why I know myself well enough to know I could never be a teacher. I agree with you that teachers have the same right to defend themselves as everybody else, but we both know that won't hold up in front of the school board disciplinary committee.

B)
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users