RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Assembly Passes Bill Giving Local School Districts Power To Deny Funds - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Assembly Passes Bill Giving Local School Districts Power To Deny Funds Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 09 July 2019 - 04:44 AM

Assembly Passes Bill Giving Local School Districts Power To Deny Funds For Home Schooling
By John RamosMay 22, 2019 at 7:17 pm
CBS KPIX News 5

LAFAYETTE (KPIX 5) — A major fight is brewing in Sacramento over the effect charter schools are having on public education. And caught up in that battle are people who educate their kids at home. On Tuesday afternoon, the State Assembly passed AB 1505, which says new charter schools can only be created with the approval of the local public school district. That bill now goes on to the State Senate.

<snip>

Critics like retired Oakland teacher Renee Swaine say charters siphon off state funds, but are exempt from the requirements that strain public schools like special education, union contracts and inclusion mandates.

“They’re kind of an entity that has a lot of protections and privileges,” Swaine said. “So it’s not a level playing field. And that’s what a lot of us say: f you’re going to use state money then the rules should be equal.”

Teacher’s unions and local school districts are pushing hard in Sacramento to rein in charter schools. Kate Newkirk, the business manager for Wild Oak, is concerned that funding could be eliminated.

“I’m absolutely worried,” Newkirk said. “I don’t know that we’ll have a program in a year, frankly. Our program may dissolve and not be able to survive.”

Opponents say charter schools are taking away from the public school system. But advocates argue that if people were happy with that system, charter schools wouldn’t even exist.

“People were looking for other options and so charters became popular,” Newkirk said. “And so now, it feels like there’s not enough funds and so the two groups are fighting with each other. And it’s very sad to see because it’s parents against parents.”

Regardless of what the government decides, Newkirk says she doubts that home-schooling parents would ever send their kids back to the public education system.

LINK

re: the underlined, I'll lay a Franklin on the table that she doesn't see the same argument with regards to welfare, illegals, etc. <_<

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 09 July 2019 - 04:55 AM

#2 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:20 AM

It's not parents against parents, it's marxists against free people.

#3 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 09 July 2019 - 08:44 AM

I'm sure it's worse now, but a while back, when my youngest son finished the 5th grade, we learned that our school district had decided to force all the incoming 6th graders into the 7,8, and 9 grade middle school. Why? So that the overcrowded conditions that ensued would "force" the State to build another high school. Because of this stupidity we home schooled our son with the help of a charter school program. Once a week I met with his assigned teacher and we went over what we'd done since our last meeting. I really liked that program, but after the first year the State outlawed it. So we enrolled our last two kids, full time, in the charter school.

But to my point--at that time, our charter school had multiple paid lawyers on staff just to deal with all the garbage that the State of California did, trying to make life more difficult for our charter school, in hopes that it would fold.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users