RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Obamamania Is A Burst Of Optimism In An Era Of Donald Trump Dread - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Obamamania Is A Burst Of Optimism In An Era Of Donald Trump Dread Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 10 September 2018 - 05:34 PM

Obamamania Is A Burst Of Optimism In An Era Of Donald Trump Dread

USA TODAY
Jennifer Anne Moses, Opinion contributor
Updated 4:43 p.m. ET Sept. 10, 2018

Excerpt:

Even before Obama emerged from 594 days of near silence, the internet was awash in O-worship. He reminds us of our better angels, and we really need that.

Like George W. Bush before him, Barack Obama all but disappeared from public view when he left the White House. That is until Friday, when he delivered a rousing, straightforward appeal to Americans to get off our collective rear ends to vote.

Along the way, he noted that the history of America has always had a dark underside, that those who hold the lion’s share of power and privilege “want to keep us divided and keep us angry and keep us cynical,” and that “appealing to fear, pitting one group against another, telling people that order and security will be restored if it weren't for those who don't look like us or don't sound like us or don't pray like we do,” is vile. (My word, not his.)

But most of all, after precisely 594 days of near total silence in the face of rising insanity emanating out of Washington, he went to town on President Donald Trump. His speech was classic Obama: measured, thoughtful, jargon-free and, as others have noted, delivered in complete sentences. The internet exploded.

A burst of Obamamania in the face of dread

To point out the obvious, this has not been the first time since Trump's election that the internet has gone berserk. Pick a day, any day, and chances are that you’ll find at least one inane twitty fit, braggadocio, shoutout for violence, dictator embrace or unconstitutional directive coming from our commander in chief — and along with it, an erupting media.

But the love affair rekindled by Obama’s very public call to democracy represents something else, perhaps even a watershed moment. Compare it to the famous 1981 Simon and Garfunkel reunion concert in Central Park, in front of a rapturously delighted audience of more than half a million. Or perhaps it’s better to relate Obama’s Illinois speech to the return of a beloved husband and father from the front, say Mr. March’s joyous Christmas Day reunion with his "Little Women" when he got home from the Civil War.

For me, the return of Obama (at the University of Illinois on Friday, in California over the weekend and reprising Thursday in swing state Ohio) feels more like Beatlemania, a burst of youth-driven exuberance and optimism in the face of ontological dread. When the Beatles exploded onto the scene, I was a child and our suburban neighbors, fearing the next mushroom cloud, were building bomb shelters. World War III anyone? Under Trump, all bets are off.

*snip*

The Rest

I'm guessing she wrote this with a crayon.

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:09 PM

View PostLiz, on 10 September 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

No kidding!

"Straightforward"?? "Measured"?? "Thoughtful"??

Well, yeah, as long as those terms are defined as "Lies", "BS", and "Duplicity".

But naturally, being the huge Beatles fan I am, I was especially disgusted by the Beatlemania reference.

<_<

#3 User is offline   SARGE 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:16 PM

View PostLiz, on 10 September 2018 - 05:34 PM, said:

USA TODAY
Jennifer Anne Moses, Opinion contributor
Updated 4:43 p.m. ET Sept. 10, 2018

:yeahthat:

Hopefully she was wearing her drool bib.

#4 User is offline   Tikk 

• Oh Rrrrrreeeaaaally?

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:53 PM

They should vote for Obama as a write in candidate!

#5 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• I'm dethpicable
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 10 September 2018 - 06:55 PM

One does wonder in what cave (or basement) these ppl rrrside

#6 User is offline   NH Populist 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 10 September 2018 - 07:08 PM

It's hard to make a comparison between the real world and the one Progressives reside in, they fawn over Obama's sleep inducing speech, but refuse to recognize the damage he inflicted on the country for 8 years. One of the many reasons Hillary lost was her promise to continue Obama's failed policies, then there's this..."Under President Obama, Democrats have lost 900+ state legislature seats, 12 governors, 69 House seats, 13 Senate seats." Lefties and the MSM have a short memory, no?

#7 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:16 PM

Wow. The fools are still drinking it...

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/uploads/1530386381/gallery_6133_220_2603.jpg

#8 User is online   zurg 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 10 September 2018 - 11:49 PM

Hey people, it’s the Babylon Bee! Oh.....

#9 User is online   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 11 September 2018 - 04:25 AM

Must be why only 750 people showed up to hear Obama speak in a room booked for 7500.

That’s real optimism right there. ;)

#10 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 11 September 2018 - 06:22 AM

Uhm, yeah, like a sick fart in a crowded elevator is like a spritz of Febreze.

#11 User is offline   Oathtaker 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 11 September 2018 - 09:58 AM

View Posterp, on 11 September 2018 - 04:25 AM, said:

Must be why only 750 people showed up to hear Obama speak in a room booked for 7500.

That’s real optimism right there. ;)

Too busy working....

#12 User is offline   Coach 

• Coach

Posted 11 September 2018 - 12:46 PM

I'm 79 years old and don't know anyone who built a bomb shelter, ever. Neither does this chick. In the Woodward era of yellow journalism so called reporters do not hesitate to lie, cite non existent sources or dream up fictional conspiracies.

Thank God for Donald Trump and the boundless optimism he has created !

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users