RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Thank you, Detective Vicky Armel. Killed in Duty - RightNation.US

-----
To a dedicated officer in keeping Fairfax County safe. We wish you our thanks for your service and prayers to your children, husband, and colleagues. Thank you, Detective, and God rest you in peace. Thank you for all the men and women who put their lives on the line to keep us safe.

Thousands Mourn Fairfax Detective, 'Our Protector'
By Paul Duggan and Tom Jackman
Washington Post Staff Writers
Sunday, May 14, 2006; Page A01

<excerpt>

As thousands gathered yesterday to salute slain Fairfax County police Detective Vicky O. Armel, perhaps no scene spoke more poignantly than the one that unfolded near the crime scene. There, a boy and a girl, 7 and 4, emerged from a limousine to look at the hundreds of flowers left on a police cruiser in honor of the mother who will not see them grow up.

This was after about 4,500 people had attended Armel's funeral at McLean Bible Church -- one of the largest police funerals in memory in the Washington area -- a service for the first Fairfax officer in the department's 66-year history to be killed while on duty by an assailant.

This was after the procession of about 700 vehicles, led by 160 police motorcycles in two columns, had left the church, crawling at 20 mph, bound for Bright View Cemetery in Fauquier County, 50 miles away.

Twenty miles into the route, hundreds of onlookers stood quietly watching outside Fairfax's Sully District police station, where Armel, 40, was shot to death Monday. There, three limousines near the front of the procession rolled to a stop. Members of Armel's family stepped out, among them her young son and daughter -- the boy in khaki pants and a light-blue shirt, his blond bangs falling just above his eyes; the girl, a strawberry blonde, in a black dress and white blouse.

"My goodness," whispered an elderly woman in the crowd, "those poor children."

Earlier, at the church, Fairfax Police Chief David M. Rohrer told mourners that the slaying is "seared into our collective departmental and community consciousness," that "the Armel family, our police department, our community -- we have all been transformed by the events of Monday, May 8, 2006. This was a seminal event in our times."

That event came when Michael W. Kennedy, 18, who lived nearby, opened fire with an assault rifle in a parking lot of the Sully station in western Fairfax, sparking a fierce gun battle with police. Armel was killed, and another officer, Michael E. Garbarino, 53, was critically wounded and remains hospitalized. Kennedy, who was carrying seven guns and squeezed off 70 rounds, was killed by other officers.

Link

8 Comments On This Entry

This is just so sad. I hope that her husband has a really good support system of family and friends because he and those poor children will certainly need all the help that they can get. :D Plus, I hope that she had enough life insurance because I can't imagine trying to raise children and pay for daycare in this area on one policeman's salary. B)

exsailorette, on May 14 2006, 12:38 AM, said:

This is just so sad. I hope that her husband has a really good support system of family and friends because he and those poor children will certainly need all the help that they can get. :D Plus, I hope that she had enough life insurance because I can't imagine trying to raise children and pay for daycare in this area on one policeman's salary. B)

From what I saw today, the community reached out. Along the Dulles toll road on the overpasses where the procession was passing under, they had lined them with fire engines, police cars, and ambulances with lights on. There were a number of people standing there and watching. And if they didn't know what it was about, people asked, then stayed to show support. They crossed themselves as she passed under them Taking up a fund would be a wonderful idea.
Thanks for posting this Annie.
I just came off of another thread that was basically a vex session about cops. Those seem to generate enough posts, but whenever I or someone else post something dealing with a cop sacraficing his or her life, or just doing good, it barely registers a second glance.
If you have any info on donations for Det. Armels family, could you please share it?
I saw something on ABC's local affiliate about the establishment of a trust fund, but I couldn't locate the info. on the website tonight (WJLA). Fairfax County's website said that information on how to donate will be posted soon. B)
Thanks exsailorette. I'll be checking.
Thanks for the link, exsailorette. And Nypd--you all are valuable. We need you all to help protect us.
Here's the donation link from the Fairfax County website with the addresses of the trust funds for the wounded officer and Det. Armel: trust fund link.
Page 1 of 1

Be Yourself. Everyone is already taken.

http://img.photobuck.../Dsc00535-1.jpgI know when the Spirit of God is there, animals are the first ones to mellow out."If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935"The poor dog, in life the firmest friend,The first to welcome, foremost to defend,Whose honest heart is still the master's own,Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,Unhonour'd falls, unnoticed all his worth,Denied in heaven the soul he held on earth,While man, vain insect hopes to be forgiven,And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven."Lord Byron Inscription on the monument of his Newfoundland dog, 1808" He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He willbe yours, faithful and true, to the last beatof his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy ofsuch devotion." Unknown

The Nauseatingly Cute Section

Links

Help Support Rightnation.US!Click HERE!Visit our store!Click HERE to shop!

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays