RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: The Daily Drive – to being Conservative - RightNation.US

-----
The Daily Drive – to being Conservative
By: stickin_damud http://www.rightnati...ads/av-5694.jpg
I have often contemplated having a blog of my own, and if I had more time I probably would. Annie asked me if I wanted to guest blog for her, and I thought it may be a way to break out. As you read, you may notice metaphors, innuendoes, double meanings and subtexts in my observations - these are completely intentional.

I can’t help but view my Daily Drive to and from work through a political prism. My contemplation of politics comes mainly as I make that Drive or when I need to make trips around town during the day (and of course the time I spend at RN). I listen almost exclusively to talk radio: Rush Limbaugh, Glen Beck in the morning; Lars Larson or Neal Boortz at lunch time if I’m out; and on the Drive home I had been listening to local sports talk radio as my choices were Michael Savage and Randi Rhodes (who I do turn on from time to time for as long as I can stomach it - just to see what the left has on their minds - which isn’t much unless you include HateBush), but now with a new FM talk radio station in Portland, KTRO, I can listen to their line-up of Laura Ingraham, Dennis Prager, Michael Medved, and Hugh Hewitt- Mr. Hewitt being my new option for the Drive home. It’s ironic that I’m a talk radio fan now because I have been a musician all of my life, yet these days I rarely listen to any music broadcast on our local stations. The Daily Drive to and from work has been the time I spend thinking about the political issues of our times, and to formulate and refine my own conservative values. I have had my own personal struggles in life - which I recognize – and which is why the Daily Drive is really my own personal Drive towards conservatism.

While I am listening to conservative radio hosts, I tend to observe my fellow commuters. As we jockey for position in traffic, I notice social and perhaps political behavior manifest itself. I see some people going to great lengths to take advantage of others so that they can get one or two cars ahead of where they would have been otherwise. I see egos in play as small Hondas with big mufflers and even bigger rear spoilers buzz their way in and out of traffic like there is some race to win of which most of the rest of us are unaware. I see completely oblivious people speed ahead as their oil burning motor spews grey smoke behind leaving fellow citizens literally in their dust – coughing and holding their noses (I suppose some folks find a way to skip that nasty DEQ vehicle inspection somehow). I see bumper-stickers continue to this day pleading for us to support the Kerry/Edwards campaign and occasionally the Green Party of Ralph Nader, to get us out of Iraq now, to impeach Bush, and, of course, telling us that somewhere in Texas there is a village missing its idiot (Cindy Sheehan, I assume). So many seem as if their rush to get where they are going is The prime directive, that no one else matters to them, that no one else’s time is as important as theirs, that we should give way because they are WHO they are. Then, I also see the magnetic ribbons of many types urging us to support our troops, the occasional American flag, and the ‘W’ and Bush/Cheney stickers being proudly displayed. I do see many folks taking their time, actually giving right of way for a change by allowing folks to enter into traffic, and exercising the Golden Rule - and I think to myself, “that’s the America that I know and love”.

I see people in the left lane of 3 lane highways on their cell phones or with a Whopper in one hand and a Coke in the other (with plenty of room to get over to the right, mind you), absolutely lost in their own worlds. I see Asian, Hispanic and other immigrants (legal ones I assume) driving as if they can’t read the road signs, as if they don’t know how to operate turn signals, driving so overly cautious that they in fact are even more of a hazard to others than if they would just keep up with the normal flow. I watch others that seemingly don’t know where they are, or where they are going, as evidenced by the indecision of whether to go left or right, or in which lane they should be. I see folks literally and selfishly stop the flow of traffic as those behind them wait for their merge into a lane of cars lined up for a mile or so because now that they have passed 100 or so vehicles and are above waiting in line like the rest, and now, suddenly, they realize which lane they need whereas they didn’t know it the minute before. And I watch those in that backed-up lane deny letting them in because, after all, they have been waiting in line to get to their exit ramp and these others selfishly want to cut in. One would think with all of the liberals in my city (it must be those damned Republicans), these types of things wouldn’t happen, that being socially conscious and considerate of your fellow man would be part of the Daily Drive as it is for me. These are more observations than criticisms – I try to understand that everyone is operating of their own free will and from decisions they make. Then it strikes me how broad and forgiving our freedom really can be – and it humbles me.

Personally - before I make a trip - I know where I am going and know how I’m going to get there. I am conscious about wasting time and energy (gas) that in both cases is really wasting money. I hardly give a thought to all of the combined time being wasted sitting in traffic for all of us involved which could be used for more productive purposes – which for me would be more family time. Not surprisingly, many of the liberals in my town go on and on about gas prices, gas-guzzling SUVs, about emissions and global warming and yet we all sit in parking lots full of traffic to get to and from work, wasting so much time and energy and moving at a snail’s pace. That’s when the liberal greenie’s probably say to themselves – “good thing I have this hybrid, look at that fool in his Escalade” when they both are getting about 2 miles to the gallon as they creep along. And then our city spends billions of dollars constructing light-rail train lines to move a small fraction of people around instead of building more roads to address the gridlock on the highways and improving fuel economy and consumption. But when you have a “D” behind the names of the Governor, the majority of the State Senate, the majority of the State House and the Mayor of Portland, and have had for years and years to some extent, this is what you get – government control that stretches into the Daily Drive of it’s citizens. No, instead of more highway lanes, we get metered on-ramps.

I often think to myself, political stereotypes are really upside-down. I behave more like what folks would consider being a tolerant, accepting, considerate liberal – for if I am a ruthless, self-serving, bigoted conservative, I would be out for myself, trying to get ahead regardless of who I step on along the way. But these are not the teachings I learned growing up and political preconceptions are just that.

Yes, being the conservative that I am, I try to stay on the path that I have chosen to take every day, traveling at the usual rate of speed – such that I stay on course to get to my destination. I try not to let others influence me in a bad way. I try to make decisions that are in my interest balanced with those around me all the while recognizing the laws that govern our society. One can apply this to any other aspect of conservative life. Such is the Daily Drive to being conservative for me. But, heck, I’m just a small stick in a large ocean of mud.

8 Comments On This Entry

Stickindamud! That was fabulous. I can't believe everything I've been missing each day during that 2 hours that I'm on the road. Shoot as much as I like to learn about people, you would think I would notice these things. Instead, half the time I'm so spaced out that I'm wondering how I got from point A to point B. :) Okay, okay maybe I exaggerate just a bit but still I'm amazed at everything you noticed. You made me feel as if I was in the car with you.

As for the similarities between people's actions on the road and their political beliefs, probably living where I do, I don't see as much of a difference. We still have so many people around here that think the Democrats are for the working man and they aren't really liberal hardly at all, just uninformed.

However, now that you've laid down the Gauntlet I'm going to see if I can't remember to start paying more attention. Now what were we talking about? :D

ilja, on Dec 8 2006, 10:47 PM, said:

Stickindamud! That was fabulous. I can't believe everything I've been missing each day during that 2 hours that I'm on the road. Shoot as much as I like to learn about people, you would think I would notice these things. Instead, half the time I'm so spaced out that I'm wondering how I got from point A to point B. :D Okay, okay maybe I exaggerate just a bit but still I'm amazed at everything you noticed. You made me feel as if I was in the car with you.

As for the similarities between people's actions on the road and their political beliefs, probably living where I do, I don't see as much of a difference. We still have so many people around here that think the Democrats are for the working man and they aren't really liberal hardly at all, just uninformed.

However, now that you've laid down the Gauntlet I'm going to see if I can't remember to start paying more attention. Now what were we talking about? :D

Thanks, ilja. Plain and simple, I just notice how people treat each other on the road, and wanted to develop it as it relates to how people treat each other in life and how it relates to bigger issues. The person cutting in the long line of traffic is the illegal immigrant not wanting to follow the rules entering our country. The ones not wanting to let them in are folks who stand for those rules. The one that caves and lets them in is, or course, our friendly neighborhood liberal.

I tried to put all of these observations in terms of today's political issues and hoped most would pick up on those double meanings. Did you?

One of these days, I am going to capture a photo of a car belonging to some gal that lives in our neighborhood. Her license says "LIBERAL" and has about 30 bumper stickers all over the back. It's a newer model gold Camry. I just think, why would ANYONE go to so much trouble and ruin a nice car with that many stickers, left or right. Where does that much contempt come from? All I have on my truck is my Purdue Boilermaker license frame which is hardly legible. What does that say about me? :)

stickin_damud, on Dec 9 2006, 08:41 AM, said:

Stickindamud! That was fabulous. I can't believe everything I've been missing each day during that 2 hours that I'm on the road. Shoot as much as I like to learn about people, you would think I would notice these things. Instead, half the time I'm so spaced out that I'm wondering how I got from point A to point B. :D Okay, okay maybe I exaggerate just a bit but still I'm amazed at everything you noticed. You made me feel as if I was in the car with you.

Thanks, ilja. Plain and simple, I just notice how people treat each other on the road, and wanted to develop it as it relates to how people treat each other in life and how it relates to bigger issues. The person cutting in the long line of traffic is the illegal immigrant not wanting to follow the rules entering our country. The ones not wanting to let them in are folks who stand for those rules. The one that caves and lets them in is, or course, our friendly neighborhood liberal.

I tried to put all of these observations in terms of today's political issues and hoped most would pick up on those double meanings. Did you?

One of these days, I am going to capture a photo of a car belonging to some gal that lives in our neighborhood. Her license says "LIBERAL" and has about 30 bumper stickers all over the back. It's a newer model gold Camry. I just think, why would ANYONE go to so much trouble and ruin a nice car with that many stickers, left or right. Where does that much contempt come from? All I have on my truck is my Purdue Boilermaker license frame which is hardly legible. What does that say about me? :)

Yes, I noticed many of them but I sometimes fit in the liberal mindset when it comes to driving. Though I do get angry as all get out when someone tries to break in line.

I was pretty sleepy when I wrote my post so I had a hard time remembering your examples of double meanings. Then again, my post is probably an example of how differently I think than yourself and what I concentrate on with my own observations.

I just went back and reread my post. I guess I noticed your double meanings more than I thought. I did thoroughly enjoy the way you presented it. :o

ilja, on Dec 9 2006, 08:02 AM, said:

stickin_damud, on Dec 9 2006, 08:41 AM, said:

However, now that you've laid down the Gauntlet I'm going to see if I can't remember to start paying more attention. Now what were we talking about? :o

Yes, I noticed many of them but I sometimes fit in the liberal mindset when it comes to driving. Though I do get angry as all get out when someone tries to break in line.

I was pretty sleepy when I wrote my post so I had a hard time remembering your examples of double meanings. Then again, my post is probably an example of how differently I think than yourself and what I concentrate on with my own observations.

I just went back and reread my post. I guess I noticed your double meanings more than I thought. I did thoroughly enjoy the way you presented it. :D

Don't get me wrong, when driving, I almost always will let someone in - especially if the driver is coming from an honest position in traffic. I'll illustrate further: I get on our I-205 everyday on the same on ramp. Due to our 'metered on-ramps' the merge lanes are longer so that slower vehicles can get up to traffic flow speed for the merge. In the morning, traffic is slow so getting up to traffic flow speed takes about 2 seconds. I will merge almost right as the white lines come together. I don't want to piss off all those folks that are there by going the extra 1000 feet and then merging, passing probably 30 or more cars. So, I merge early. Then you'll have the drivers coming on after that do take advantage and go all the way to the end and expect, though it seems more like DEMAND that they be let in. THAT pisses me off. Is getting to the destination 30 seconds earlier worth being an a$$ of a driver? Apparently so. This arrogance is really not appropriate on the roads. The priorities of our (state) gov't have created some things that foster that mentality.

You think differently than I do??? Hmmph... :o
Although a fun and interesting exercise, I hope you don’t take your analogies too seriously. It never occurred to me to take cultural/political stereotypes and apply them to my daily commute, even though there are ample opportunities to do so.

Like last night… some oversized pickup was right on my butt as traffic ebbed and flowed between 15- and 45-mph. Everything about the driver’s vehicle and actions said: “big, bad, aggressive American;” but oddly, the term “conservative” never entered my mind. :D

A couple of points:

Randi Rhodes:

Listening to Randi Rhodes “just to see what the left has on their minds” is like reading Ann Coulter “to see what the right has on their minds.” Political polemicists are intentionally non-representative, seeing as how they usually speak from the wackadoo fringe. It’s their “job” to pit one side against the other by virtually any means possible, and extreme exaggeration is their primary “tool.”

I think you’d get a better idea of what “the left” stands for if you occasionally listened to Ed Schultz. He describes himself as “a hard line drive to left-center,” and is much more down-to-earth and entertaining-yet-serious than most radio political personalities. (Albeit I don’t particularly enjoy the “call-in” format, and tend to switch off when that happens.)

However, I give you credit for at least trying to listen to “the other side” from time to time. I think too many folks “choose their bias” by intentionally inundating themselves with one-sided “arguments.” It’s possible (and enriching) to consider the whole range of political commentary, even if one has a particular viewpoint.

Hybrids:

[…] That’s when the liberal greenie’s probably say to themselves – “good thing I have this hybrid, look at that fool in his Escalade” when they both are getting about 2 miles to the gallon as they creep along.

From a political POV, I must be an automotive enigma since I own both a hybrid and a hotrod. :o

A “full hybrid” like my Mercury Mariner (MMH) can operate on gas and/or electric depending on the circumstances. In the situation you described (which I experience regularly) the gas engine shuts off when it’s not needed; and most of the time, I can roll along in “golf-cart mode” (I.E.: electric-only operation).

If I left it parked with the ignition on, even in the coldest weather, the gas engine would only run for about 1 minute out of every 3. (In warmer conditions, that ratio would improve.) In fact, this ability to use the gas engine only when needed (and to shut it off when not needed) contributes greatly to the vehicle’s overall fuel economy. (The other primary fuel-saving device being the 2.3L 4-cylinder Atkinson-cycle engine.) No matter how you look at it, my compact SUV hybrid is MILES away from an Escalade in fuel economy; and your “both getting 2mpg” comparison is simply not based in fact.

But also relevant to your comments is my attitude. See, I don’t consider myself to be “better” than anyone just because I drive a hybrid. The only time I would say: “look at that fool in his Escalade” would be when he was actually doing something foolish. (Such as riding my bumper.) :o

At this point, hybrids are not for everyone; and since I own my own gas-guzzler, I’m not going to criticize. Just as an example, if you ever TOW anything (say a small boat), or insist on being the fastest car on the road, then a hybrid is clearly not for you. These things work best for “relaxed” drivers, not the A-type personalities.

I don’t consider myself to be a “liberal” or a “greenie” just because I drive a hybrid. Indeed, I jokingly refer to it as my “penance” for being so eco-unfriendly in other aspects of my life. :o

stickin_damud, on Dec 9 2006, 09:41 AM, said:

[…] Thanks, ilja. Plain and simple, I just notice how people treat each other on the road, and wanted to develop it as it relates to how people treat each other in life and how it relates to bigger issues. The person cutting in the long line of traffic is the illegal immigrant not wanting to follow the rules entering our country. The ones not wanting to let them in are folks who stand for those rules. The one that caves and lets them in is, or course, our friendly neighborhood liberal.

Half a lifetime ago, I was returning from a canoe trip with friends in a 2-car “convoy.” We were in a “parking lot” situation on Rt-17 in NY, and I was a passenger in the second car.

Someone who had driven down the shoulder (presumably to pass traffic) was trying to merge back into lane, and my 2 friends in the car ahead were deliberately disallowing him from doing so. In fact, they were throwing Oreo® cookies at him through the sunroof to express their distain.

Aside from being an egregious waste of perfectly good Oreo® cookies, I was curious about their actions and asked them about it later.

Well he was a [so-and-so] for driving on the shoulder, so why should we let him in?

So he shouldn’t have been driving on the shoulder?

Of course not!... the little [so-and-so]!!!

And he should have been driving in a traffic lane with the rest of us? Wouldn’t that be the “right thing to do?”

Yeah!... (did you see us pelting him with Oreo® cookies?!!!)

So if you ever find yourself driving on the shoulder, then you should get back into lane?

[Heck] yeah!

So weren’t you actually preventing him from doing the “right thing?”

… ummm… uhhh… hmmmm… want an Oreo® cookie?

We’re all in this together. When traffic is heavy, NOBODY is going anywhere fast… and being obnoxious about it only exasperates the situation. Driver courtesy is far better than misguided vigilantism.

[…]All I have on my truck is my Purdue Boilermaker license frame which is hardly legible. What does that say about me? :D

And all I have on mine are American flags. What does that say about me?

:)

MADGestic, on Dec 9 2006, 11:40 AM, said:

Although a fun and interesting exercise, I hope you don’t take your analogies too seriously. It never occurred to me to take cultural/political stereotypes and apply them to my daily commute, even though there are ample opportunities to do so.

Well, regardless what you think of me or my post, thanks for reading. Do I take it too seriously? No. My mind never shuts off, I am an Industrial Engineer, trained to look at things to see a better way, more efficient/less waste, lower cost, improve the process, etc. and I can't help but look at the human elements of why people do the things they do. Traffic is inefficient. And there are a lot of "bad drivers" out there.

Like last night… some oversized pickup was right on my butt as traffic ebbed and flowed between 15- and 45-mph. Everything about the driver’s vehicle and actions said: “big, bad, aggressive American;” but oddly, the term “conservative” never entered my mind. :o

No, I think you had it right - big, bad, agressive American. But you left out idiot.

A couple of points:

Randi Rhodes:

Listening to Randi Rhodes “just to see what the left has on their minds” is like reading Ann Coulter “to see what the right has on their minds.” Political polemicists are intentionally non-representative, seeing as how they usually speak from the wackadoo fringe. It’s their “job” to pit one side against the other by virtually any means possible, and extreme exaggeration is their primary “tool.”

I think you’d get a better idea of what “the left” stands for if you occasionally listened to Ed Schultz. He describes himself as “a hard line drive to left-center,” and is much more down-to-earth and entertaining-yet-serious than most radio political personalities. (Albeit I don’t particularly enjoy the “call-in” format, and tend to switch off when that happens.)

However, I give you credit for at least trying to listen to “the other side” from time to time. I think too many folks “choose their bias” by intentionally inundating themselves with one-sided “arguments.” It’s possible (and enriching) to consider the whole range of political commentary, even if one has a particular viewpoint.

When I listen to any liberal radio show (and I have heard Ed Schultz, and he is just about like Randi, only a little less angry. He does seem to show more support for the troops, but with my limited exposure to him, I can't really make any judgements.) When I say "see what the left is saying" I am more referring to her callers. I have as much contempt for Michael Savage as I do for Randi Rhodes and he claims to be THE conservative of all conservatives. Pretty tolerant of him, huh?

Some of the TV liberals aren't much different, Alan Colmes has hardly a sense of humor and his face would crack if he'd smile. A lot of them just talk over their adversaries with anger and don't wish to talk about the issues or have a debate.

What can I say, Rush Limbaugh speaks to my inner person. I know what the left thinks of him. He breaks down things so people can understand the political underpinnings that regular folks don't spend the time doing. He isn't a bad guy, he isn't the drug addicted demon hypocrite the left makes him out to be. Rush espouses optimism, and that appeals to me. So many liberals are negative, and pessimistic - even now that they have the reins of power. We'll see over the next 2 years how much optimism our politics has.

Hybrids:

[…] That’s when the liberal greenie’s probably say to themselves – “good thing I have this hybrid, look at that fool in his Escalade” when they both are getting about 2 miles to the gallon as they creep along.

From a political POV, I must be an automotive enigma since I own both a hybrid and a hotrod. :D

A “full hybrid” like my Mercury Mariner (MMH) can operate on gas and/or electric depending on the circumstances. In the situation you described (which I experience regularly) the gas engine shuts off when it’s not needed; and most of the time, I can roll along in “golf-cart mode” (I.E.: electric-only operation).

If I left it parked with the ignition on, even in the coldest weather, the gas engine would only run for about 1 minute out of every 3. (In warmer conditions, that ratio would improve.) In fact, this ability to use the gas engine only when needed (and to shut it off when not needed) contributes greatly to the vehicle’s overall fuel economy. (The other primary fuel-saving device being the 2.3L 4-cylinder Atkinson-cycle engine.) No matter how you look at it, my compact SUV hybrid is MILES away from an Escalade in fuel economy; and your “both getting 2mpg” comparison is simply not based in fact.

But also relevant to your comments is my attitude. See, I don’t consider myself to be “better” than anyone just because I drive a hybrid. The only time I would say: “look at that fool in his Escalade” would be when he was actually doing something foolish. (Such as riding my bumper.) :D

OK, I took a little liberty with the hybrid fuel economy - substitute a fuel efficient "non-hybrid" and maybe my assertion is a little closer to the truth. Most of the time, traffic isn't 'stopped' for us, it's more just creeping along, stop and go type. I stand corrected, though. My point is, traffic is ineffecient for everyone be it fuel, time, or mental stress and the bad driving behavior that only makes it worse.

I have no problem with hybrid vehicles. None at all. I wish it was the same the other way around. I drive a full sized GMC pick-up. I have my reasons. I have hauled countless loads of landscaping stuff with my bed. I tow a boat during the summer. We pack up all of our camping gear for 4 people and take 2 big dogs with us. I haul my drum set around for band practices. I couldn't do any of that with a hybrid. I just don't want people to condemn me for my choice of vehicle, as I don't condemn them for theirs. I must live with my choice, not them. My wife drives an MDX which at the time was one of the most low emission vehicle built. My post was that I think 'greenies' want everyone to do as they do, and the guilt trip they try and force on others isn't healthy and it shows the fascist nature of the left.

At this point, hybrids are not for everyone; and since I own my own gas-guzzler, I’m not going to criticize. Just as an example, if you ever TOW anything (say a small boat), or insist on being the fastest car on the road, then a hybrid is clearly not for you. These things work best for “relaxed” drivers, not the A-type personalities.

I don’t consider myself to be a “liberal” or a “greenie” just because I drive a hybrid. Indeed, I jokingly refer to it as my “penance” for being so eco-unfriendly in other aspects of my life. :o

Fair enough, but I hope you don't consider my original post an attack on you or anyone else. It is just my observances related to the political spectrum and our regard for each other on the road and in life.

Half a lifetime ago, I was returning from a canoe trip with friends in a 2-car “convoy.” We were in a “parking lot” situation on Rt-17 in NY, and I was a passenger in the second car.

Someone who had driven down the shoulder (presumably to pass traffic) was trying to merge back into lane, and my 2 friends in the car ahead were deliberately disallowing him from doing so. In fact, they were throwing Oreo® cookies at him through the sunroof to express their distain.

Aside from being an egregious waste of perfectly good Oreo® cookies, I was curious about their actions and asked them about it later.

Well he was a [so-and-so] for driving on the shoulder, so why should we let him in?

So he shouldn’t have been driving on the shoulder?

Of course not!... the little [so-and-so]!!!

And he should have been driving in a traffic lane with the rest of us? Wouldn’t that be the “right thing to do?”

Yeah!... (did you see us pelting him with Oreo® cookies?!!!)

So if you ever find yourself driving on the shoulder, then you should get back into lane?

[Heck] yeah!

So weren’t you actually preventing him from doing the “right thing?”

… ummm… uhhh… hmmmm… want an Oreo® cookie?

Well, I would say both parties were wrong in how they behaved. I don't know how many times I have had someone race up past me on my left and want in front of me. I am keeping my safe distance from the car in front and this other car wants to cut in. I look in my rearview mirror and there's at least 1000 or more feet of nothing. Why someone MUST get in front when the had all that room behind is a mystery. I think sometimes people are just plain not paying attention, distracted, or purely selfish to pull that kind of crap. Of course I let them in, rather I don't do anything to prevent it. That doesn't stop me from calling them an SOB, though.

We’re all in this together. When traffic is heavy, NOBODY is going anywhere fast… and being obnoxious about it only exasperates the situation. Driver courtesy is far better than misguided vigilantism.

On that, we can agree. Road rage may be another topic for another day, but how should we enforce good driving behavior or penalize bad behavior?

And all I have on mine are American flags. What does that say about me?

A need to prove your patriotism vicariously through your car? :)

(relax, I'm kidding)

stickin_damud, on Dec 9 2006, 03:47 PM, said:

[…] Well, regardless what you think of me or my post, thanks for reading. Do I take it too seriously? No. My mind never shuts off, I am an Industrial Engineer, trained to look at things to see a better way, more efficient/less waste, lower cost, improve the process, etc. and I can't help but look at the human elements of why people do the things they do. Traffic is inefficient. And there are a lot of "bad drivers" out there. […]

It all works out in the end. More roads won’t make your ride any quicker, it just allows more cars to make the same annoying commute. Call it the ying-yang of traffic. :D

No, I think you had it right - big, bad, agressive American. But you left out idiot. […]

Actually, I included that (and other colorful metaphors) as he heavily accelerated to a dead stop in the adjacent lane. My exact thought was: “Good… go bugger someone else.”

[…] When I say "see what the left is saying" I am more referring to her callers. I have as much contempt for Michael Savage as I do for Randi Rhodes and he claims to be THE conservative of all conservatives. Pretty tolerant of him, huh?

As I said, I really don’t go for the “call in” format, and usually switch off. I don’t think that radio-shows callers are representative either.

Some of the TV liberals aren't much different, Alan Colmes has hardly a sense of humor and his face would crack if he'd smile. A lot of them just talk over their adversaries with anger and don't wish to talk about the issues or have a debate.

Like Bill O’Reilly? :)

What can I say, Rush Limbaugh speaks to my inner person. I know what the left thinks of him. He breaks down things so people can understand the political underpinnings that regular folks don't spend the time doing. He isn't a bad guy, he isn't the drug addicted demon hypocrite the left makes him out to be. Rush espouses optimism, and that appeals to me. So many liberals are negative, and pessimistic - even now that they have the reins of power. We'll see over the next 2 years how much optimism our politics has.

I think Limbaugh (along with Gingrich) is largely responsible for the current coarseness of American politics. There has always been (and likely will always be) polemics in politics, but Limbaugh helped give that mass appeal.

Of course he speaks to your “inner person” because he says things that modesty, etiquette, diplomacy, and common courtesy prevent you from saying. Not “you” personally, per se… but you cannot deny that he got his start by being the Howard Stern of political commentary.

I’m all for free speech… but red-meat knee-jerk appeals to ignorance really rub me the wrong way.

[…] My point is, traffic is ineffecient for everyone be it fuel, time, or mental stress and the bad driving behavior that only makes it worse.

I agree. Some ten years ago, I made a conscious decision to be totally relaxed during my commutes… just so my head wouldn’t explode. There’s nothing worse than showing up for work (or at home) after 90+ minutes of aggravation.

Now I watch those that jut from lane to lane, desperately trying to shave about 13-seconds off of their commute. ”Wow, you raced up to that red light really good… now what?”

Nobody is going anywhere fast… just go with the flow.

I have no problem with hybrid vehicles. None at all. I wish it was the same the other way around. I drive a full sized GMC pick-up. I have my reasons. I have hauled countless loads of landscaping stuff with my bed. I tow a boat during the summer. We pack up all of our camping gear for 4 people and take 2 big dogs with us. I haul my drum set around for band practices. I couldn't do any of that with a hybrid. I just don't want people to condemn me for my choice of vehicle, as I don't condemn them for theirs. I must live with my choice, not them. My wife drives an MDX which at the time was one of the most low emission vehicle built. My post was that I think 'greenies' want everyone to do as they do, and the guilt trip they try and force on others isn't healthy and it shows the fascist nature of the left.

Has anyone really condemned you for your choice of vehicle? And even if they did… so what? Unless you were the guy running up my tailpipe, don’t feel guilty for what or how you drive. This is America, you don’t have to explain yourself… just enjoy.

Anyone that tries to impose their personal “values” on others is a busybody.

Fair enough, but I hope you don't consider my original post an attack on you or anyone else. It is just my observances related to the political spectrum and our regard for each other on the road and in life.

Nope… no problem… I’m fair and happy. Like I said, it’s an interesting exercise…

… just don’t get me started on VOLVOS with bumper stickers… Is this your exit? I think it is. :o

Well, I would say both parties were wrong in how they behaved. I don't know how many times I have had someone race up past me on my left and want in front of me. I am keeping my safe distance from the car in front and this other car wants to cut in. I look in my rearview mirror and there's at least 1000 or more feet of nothing. Why someone MUST get in front when the had all that room behind is a mystery. I think sometimes people are just plain not paying attention, distracted, or purely selfish to pull that kind of crap. Of course I let them in, rather I don't do anything to prevent it. That doesn't stop me from calling them an SOB, though.

Of course… some folks just don’t get it.

I used to ski frequently; and lift lines had a funnel effect. You might be 20-wide at the end, but by the time you got to the chair, only 2-5+ could get on (depending on the size of the chair).

I don’t remember where I saw it, but there was this generic-symbol sign that showed a line of circles and a line of squares merging into circle-square-circle-square…

A sign like that should be posted at every merge… because some people just don’t get it.

On that, we can agree. Road rage may be another topic for another day, but how should we enforce good driving behavior or penalize bad behavior?

Your license plate is also your cell phone number… so I can call you up and say: “get the HECK outta my way. :D

A need to prove your patriotism vicariously through your car? :o

(relax, I'm kidding)

Smartazz… just owning a car is patriotic in America. :o

MADGestic, on Dec 9 2006, 02:35 PM, said:

stickin_damud, on Dec 9 2006, 03:47 PM, said:

[…] Well, regardless what you think of me or my post, thanks for reading. Do I take it too seriously? No. My mind never shuts off, I am an Industrial Engineer, trained to look at things to see a better way, more efficient/less waste, lower cost, improve the process, etc. and I can't help but look at the human elements of why people do the things they do. Traffic is inefficient. And there are a lot of "bad drivers" out there. […]

It all works out in the end. More roads won’t make your ride any quicker, it just allows more cars to make the same annoying commute. Call it the ying-yang of traffic. :D

I know what you're saying. Our company took several initiatives to help commuting, traffic, addressing smog, etc a few years back. Telecommuting, ECO days (work eight 9 hour work days, then 8 on Friday with the other Friday off) and flexible work schedules to help avoid rush hour. They have all vanished due to new upper mgmt philosophy. It used to be so nice...but now :o Portland is somewhat limited in it's road system. The city is WAY outgrowing the pace of new road construction, and building light rail and metered on ramps are their solution, not asphalt - and that is my frustration. And, BTW, we allow chains and studded tires for about half the year and you know what that does to the roads. So THAT takes away from new construction, instead we are constantly repaving.

Actually, I included that (and other colorful metaphors) as he heavily accelerated to a dead stop in the adjacent lane. My exact thought was: “Good… go bugger someone else.”

As I said, I really don’t go for the “call in” format, and usually switch off. I don’t think that radio-shows callers are representative either.

Like Bill O’Reilly? :o

Well, he is on opposite Rush (and Glenn Beck) on morning radio, so I don't tune him in at all. I very rarely watch his show. I just don't like him that well.

I think Limbaugh (along with Gingrich) is largely responsible for the current coarseness of American politics. There has always been (and likely will always be) polemics in politics, but Limbaugh helped give that mass appeal.

Of course he speaks to your “inner person” because he says things that modesty, etiquette, diplomacy, and common courtesy prevent you from saying. Not “you” personally, per se… but you cannot deny that he got his start by being the Howard Stern of political commentary.

I like Rush more for his analysis of how the left in this country operates and thinks, not necessarily what he says. He loves the troops and the troops by and large like Rush. This is the main common ground with him and me.

Yeah, I used to think I liked Howard Stern, too. Then one day, I had kids...

I'll say this, I wouldn't have a problem with playing Rush with my kids in the truck, but not Stern.

I’m all for free speech… but red-meat knee-jerk appeals to ignorance really rub me the wrong way.

:)

I agree. Some ten years ago, I made a conscious decision to be totally relaxed during my commutes… just so my head wouldn’t explode. There’s nothing worse than showing up for work (or at home) after 90+ minutes of aggravation.

I am very relaxed during the commute. I look forward to it as my alone time. I look forward to it for the radio shows I can listen to. The drivers that bug me are more a nuisance, a fly buzzing in my ear, than anything else.

Now I watch those that jut from lane to lane, desperately trying to shave about 13-seconds off of their commute. ”Wow, you raced up to that red light really good… now what?”

Nobody is going anywhere fast… just go with the flow.

:o :o

Has anyone really condemned you for your choice of vehicle? And even if they did… so what? Unless you were the guy running up my tailpipe, don’t feel guilty for what or how you drive. This is America, you don’t have to explain yourself… just enjoy.

Anyone that tries to impose their personal “values” on others is a busybody.

In fact, I have had a very good friend tell me what vehicle I should drive. The discussion ended when I made her realize she was trying to make me live her life, which I cannot do. In fact, she suggested I do things that she wasn't doing for herself...being a hypocrite. And just the negative attitude towards SUVs in general is an attempt at making people feel guilty. I don't let it bother me and you're right, it comes from people with too much time on their hands.

Nope… no problem… I’m fair and happy. Like I said, it’s an interesting exercise…

… just don’t get me started on VOLVOS with bumper stickers… Is this your exit? I think it is. :o

Ah, yes, the Volvos.....

Of course… some folks just don’t get it.

I used to ski frequently; and lift lines had a funnel effect. You might be 20-wide at the end, but by the time you got to the chair, only 2-5+ could get on (depending on the size of the chair).

I don’t remember where I saw it, but there was this generic-symbol sign that showed a line of circles and a line of squares merging into circle-square-circle-square…

A sign like that should be posted at every merge… because some people just don’t get it.

Your license plate is also your cell phone number… so I can call you up and say: “get the HECK outta my way. :o

I know those ski lines. That's why I eventually learned to ski on the double diamonds, thereby almost always finding the short lines - but I know what you mean. It's too bad we have to cater to the most ignorant when we must put basic symbols up to send the message.

What if the car you call up doesn't understand English? :D

Smartazz… just owning a car is patriotic in America. :o

Not if it's imported. :o
Page 1 of 1

Be Yourself. Everyone is already taken.

http://img.photobuck.../Dsc00535-1.jpgI know when the Spirit of God is there, animals are the first ones to mellow out."If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935"The poor dog, in life the firmest friend,The first to welcome, foremost to defend,Whose honest heart is still the master's own,Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,Unhonour'd falls, unnoticed all his worth,Denied in heaven the soul he held on earth,While man, vain insect hopes to be forgiven,And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven."Lord Byron Inscription on the monument of his Newfoundland dog, 1808" He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He willbe yours, faithful and true, to the last beatof his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy ofsuch devotion." Unknown

The Nauseatingly Cute Section

Links

Help Support Rightnation.US!Click HERE!Visit our store!Click HERE to shop!

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays