RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: What's Your Phobia? - RightNation.US

-----

What's Your Phobia?

We all have one. Admit it. One thing that makes us run screaming for the hills, crying, curling up in a fetal position, freezing, vomitting, etc. That one thing that if we see absolutely and irrationally paralyzes us. Makes us go from a strong adult to crying like a child.

When do you think yours started? What is it? And why?

I had a friend who was horribly phobic of cotton. She hated cotton. I had another friend who was terrified of balloons.

Mine is no big secret on here. Spiders. If I had to choose between stabbing myself in the leg or letting a spider crawl on me, I would choose to stab my leg. Completely irrational? Absolutely. I completely agree with anyone who tells me I'm being ridiculous. But that's a phobia.

Some things I've done in the presence of a spider:
Scream
Ran
Cried
Yelled,"This is the horror my life has become!!!!" while crying and screaming.
Emptied a can or two of wasp spray in an unventillated room
Threw whatever pet was handy at the spider screaming for them to,"KILL IT!!!!"
Refused to eat in a kitchen said spider was seen in untill I knew there was a spider body and it was shown to me
Flagged random people that didn't speak English and I didn't know to come into my house to kill it
Knocked on doors for neighbors to kill the spider in my walkway--again non English speaking people but somehow "spider" translates universally
Almost wrecked my car while smacking a cell phone against the steering wheel trying to kill a spider with a person still on the line
Emptied mace onto a spider on my driver's side car door
Dumped undiluted malathion in a tub to kill spider
Emptied a gallon of bleach on spider
Refused to vacuum a dead spider into a vacuum tube because I would "feel" the body bouncing off the tube
Almost completely took my clothes off at the mention a spider was on me
Puked
Fainted
Cover my eyes during Charlotte's Web
Scream when pictures of spiders are seen
Won't touch said book or picture
Refuse to eat bananas, grapes, granola, Taco Bell because of various spider stories
Etc

So, now you all spill yours and your reactions. :whistle:

77 Comments On This Entry

I must be lucky. I don't have any fears that could be called irrational. I do spend an awful lot of time worrying about the onset of old age, which I'm afraid will cause hair loss and impotence. But that makes all the sense in the world, no?

Mooga, on Dec 12 2006, 11:04 PM, said:

I must be lucky. I don't have any fears that could be called irrational. I do spend an awful lot of time worrying about the onset of old age, which I'm afraid will cause hair loss and impotence. But that makes all the sense in the world, no?

Wow. You need therapy more than I do. You have the dreaded alopeciaweeniephobia! :giggle:

Annie, on Dec 12 2006, 09:08 PM, said:

Mooga, on Dec 12 2006, 11:04 PM, said:

Wow. You need therapy more than I do. You have the dreaded alopeciaweeniephobia! :giggle:

Bah. Nothing a daily six-pack of Rogaiagra can't cure.
Annie - my sister hates cotton, too - she doesn't even like it when I say the word!

I have social phobia.
This will expose my “geek” for all to see, but since you asked; I’m deathly afraid of things that grow in sealed, autoclaved media. I do a lot of cultures at work and occasionally something will grow in a sterilized sealed media bottle that contains high levels of antibiotics. They are usually black and have “runners”. Nothing native in origin should be able to survive the autoclave and the high level of antibiotics, what ever that organism is, it most assuredly is deadly. I used to freak out when one of the little buggers would turn up, but my lab mates always gave me strange looks. Now I just shudder, die a little inside and get the sodium hydroxide pellets, calculate how much is needed to raise the pH to 14 and dump them in, thus killing the little beast. Bleach might work, but I’m not taking any chances. I’ve ruined quite a bit of glassware with this technique, but my piece of mind is more important than some stupid bottle. Other than that I have no other irrational fears except maybe tight enclosed spaces…… :giggle:
Well I always thought I was scared of Spiders but geeze compared to your stories Annie, I think I just don't like them very much.

Though I do think I almost wrecked once because of one.
A have a list of really irrational ones (crossing streets, smelling things) but my biggest fear of all is fire/heat. Anything from lighting a match to taking something out of the oven terrifies me.
Water. I can deal with the shower, bathtub, spa. But not a snowball's chance in hell am I going in a pool or the ocean or a lake or a body of water larger than my bathtub. I remember the first time we went to the ocean, my grandfather had to carry me kicking and screaming into the water. I was 8 at the time. I even took smimming lessons when I was a kid but they provoked anxiety attacks.

I did buy a boat with my friend a couple of years ago which was a HUGE step. But the first year, I wouldn't let anyone leave the bay with the boat and I wouldn't take off my life jacket and I cling to the handle on the side of the boat. Last year, I did remove the life jacket and we did go out into the ocean but I still cling to the side handle for dear life. :giggle:
Oh, man where do I start? Having grown up on the desert I have a phobia about lizards and snakes. Spiders and stuff like that I can handle, but snakes especially really freak me out. Having been poked and probed and all throughout my life I have a morbid fear of needles wheter it be to draw blood, IVs, or administer injections. And lately I'm getting phobic about going to certain doctors. (Annie knows my reasons). I'm phobic that I'm going to die alone and friendless, alienated from the world. I'm phobic around certain women cause I just know they'll break my heart if I ever let myself love them. Did I mention bats? Bats make me uneasy when they're flying around. I remember our principal showing us a rabid bat when I was six and warning us about them. I'm scared of strange dogs and how they'll react. I'm scared of the mentally disturbed homeless people I run across and how they'll react. And more and more I'm scared to be around boozers for fear I'll revert to my old ways and wind up drinking myself to death.
Okay, maybe some of these aren't phobias in the medical sense, but they still stress me out at times.
I'm afraid of thirst. I have to have my 64 ounce mug nearby just about at all times. I usually drink iced tea, but I probably drink way too much diet soda. I guess the trauma of all the cotton mouth I got playing football back in the days when they thought drinking water during practice was bad for you started it.

This is making me thirsty.
  • 8 Pages +
  • Last »

Be Yourself. Everyone is already taken.

http://img.photobuck.../Dsc00535-1.jpgI know when the Spirit of God is there, animals are the first ones to mellow out."If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935"The poor dog, in life the firmest friend,The first to welcome, foremost to defend,Whose honest heart is still the master's own,Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,Unhonour'd falls, unnoticed all his worth,Denied in heaven the soul he held on earth,While man, vain insect hopes to be forgiven,And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven."Lord Byron Inscription on the monument of his Newfoundland dog, 1808" He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He willbe yours, faithful and true, to the last beatof his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy ofsuch devotion." Unknown

The Nauseatingly Cute Section

Links

Help Support Rightnation.US!Click HERE!Visit our store!Click HERE to shop!

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays