RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Watching Oprah Discuss Suicide - RightNation.US

Jump to content

-----
To start this off, I never watch Oprah. I'm never home to see her and I'm with the crowd who thinks her "Holier than thou" attitude stinks. I've always thought that attitude of Queen of all Hats (including in her mind, Psychology) would one day get her in trouble. Needless to say, today was the day I chose to watch while being a slug.

Today, she chose as her topic, "Back From the Brink of Suicide." I was expecting a psychiatrist to be on the show and maybe some hints for people who are thinking of suicide, how to stop. Instead, the Oprah sensationalism began. She picked three very brave and strong people to be on the show. One was a housewife who was very involved in her children and Church. She suffered from post partum depression and one day decided to kill herself by jumping off a bridge. The next was a young girl who thank God had found Christ despite her horrific attempt at suicide. She laid down on some train tracks and had her legs severed. She lived as well. The last was a young man who took a twelve guage shotgun and basically blew his face off. He lived. All of these people lived by the grace of God and had come on her show to discuss their attempts at suicide.

Oprah asked questions that only someone who was not familiar with people who had lived through suicide would ask. She aired the footage of the woman jumping off the bridge and reunited her with the cop that saved her. That was touching as her husband came up onstage and thanked him. She grasped the young man's hand and tearfully asked him if he was aware of any pain--such as him grasping his trachea to hold it open. She asked the young girl if she felt any pain when the train took her legs. She asked the young mother is she felt any regrets before she jumped. The answer to all was of course going to be no. In that state of mind, nothing matters but dying.

What Oprah potentially did by asking this questions was tell anyone in her millions of listeners who are contemplating suicide that,"It does not hurt to be run over by a train." "It does not hurt to jump off a bridge." "It does not hurt to blow off your face with a twelve guage." This is what the suicidal person watching the show will hear. They aren't going to hear to pick up the phone. Reach out for help. People care about you. In a suicidal's frame of mind they hear nothing. Only to think of how to end the pain and how they are doing everyone a favor. Now what Oprah did, was give them an avenue to ways to kill themselves where there is no pain in death. A very dangerous thing to do for a woman who has millions of listeners.

These people don't care about finding Christ if they survive. If they do survive, it's how to get through the anger of why they did survive, the shame, and rebuilding their lives so as people don't pinpoint them as a mental case. Not the sensationalism of,"Ooooooo---how did you do it and how gory was it?"

Oprah missed the mark completely and dangerously. I encourage you all to take the time to see this episode and see if you see what I am seeing. Maybe I missed the psychiatrist. On a show like this, an uneducated person should not tackle something so devestating by herself. She left out the coping skills, etc. She paraded these brave people who had just lived themselves to find their own truth. She did nothing for suicide prevention.

I'll leave the one positive thing she did in helping people who are contemplating suicide. She left a number to experts who deal in this:

Quote

If you are feeling suicidal or know someone who is, please call the National Hopeline Network 1-800-442-HOPE (1-800-442-4673) or the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255).


Recognize the signs and the people at risk. Recognizing Suicidal Behavior

Here are some behavior warnings from the above link:

What are the warning signs for suicide?
Following are some of the possible warning signs that a person may be at risk for suicide (excerpted):

Quote

* Excessive sadness or moodiness
* Sudden calmness
* Withdrawal
* Changes in personality and/or appearance
* Dangerous or self-harmful behavior
* Recent trauma or life crisis
* Making preparations
* Threatening suicide


Suicide Survivors (for family of suicide victims)

There are many places you can go to on the net. The one thing I would leave this blog with is to recognize the signs and call for help if you notice a loved one exhibiting any of the signs. Don't take it lightly. Don't second guess yourself if you believe someone is going through this. You would rather be safe than sorry in these cases. And don't second guess that someone you know or love won't do it.

Lastly, don't listen to Oprah or any of these other media junkies who think they can discuss a subject like this without the aide of a psychiatrist or other medical professional. I've worked with suicidal people and people that have survived suicide attempts. I will fully admit I still don't know everything about suicide. This show was so lacking, I felt I needed to write about it.
0
  Like

8 Comments On This Entry

You raise some really good points, Annie. There are people who are trained in this area and THEY are the ones people should listen to when it comes to dealing with such a serious issue -- not Oprah. I like her, to be honest. But she's not an "expert" in this field, and yes - you're right - what she just did without even realizing it is send a very dangerous message out to those who may be contemplating suicide.
0

Jax, on Dec 28 2007, 06:41 PM, said:

You raise some really good points, Annie. There are people who are trained in this area and THEY are the ones people should listen to when it comes to dealing with such a serious issue -- not Oprah. I like her, to be honest. But she's not an "expert" in this field, and yes - you're right - what she just did without even realizing it is send a very dangerous message out to those who may be contemplating suicide.


Thank you. I was so upset with her I was calling the network. It was scary.
0
You should send this to her. I don't know if I would have noticed or not but now I wish I had watched it on one of the few days I would have been able. Thank you for writing this so hopefully anyone who did watch it and is considering suicide might have second thoughts after reading what you wrote.
0

ilja, on Dec 28 2007, 07:01 PM, said:

You should send this to her. I don't know if I would have noticed or not but now I wish I had watched it on one of the few days I would have been able. Thank you for writing this so hopefully anyone who did watch it and is considering suicide might have second thoughts after reading what you wrote.


Thank you and you're welcome. I was going to add it to her site but need to register. I tried calling but they were closed. I hope anyone that does read it reconsiders. Unfortunately, I don't have the audience Oprah has.
0

Dublin5, on Dec 28 2007, 06:07 PM, said:

ilja, on Dec 28 2007, 07:01 PM, said:

You should send this to her. I don't know if I would have noticed or not but now I wish I had watched it on one of the few days I would have been able. Thank you for writing this so hopefully anyone who did watch it and is considering suicide might have second thoughts after reading what you wrote.


Thank you and you're welcome. I was going to add it to her site but need to register. I tried calling but they were closed. I hope anyone that does read it reconsiders. Unfortunately, I don't have the audience Oprah has.

True but even one would make it worthwhile.
0

ilja, on Dec 28 2007, 08:29 PM, said:

Dublin5, on Dec 28 2007, 06:07 PM, said:

ilja, on Dec 28 2007, 07:01 PM, said:

You should send this to her. I don't know if I would have noticed or not but now I wish I had watched it on one of the few days I would have been able. Thank you for writing this so hopefully anyone who did watch it and is considering suicide might have second thoughts after reading what you wrote.


Thank you and you're welcome. I was going to add it to her site but need to register. I tried calling but they were closed. I hope anyone that does read it reconsiders. Unfortunately, I don't have the audience Oprah has.

True but even one would make it worthwhile.


Very true, Ilja.
0
In her quest for ratings it seems that Oprah will know no limits. I honestly believe that she often causes more harm than good. While she may think she is being helpful and have the best of intentions she is certainly no expert in many of the areas such as suicide prevention. Sometimes it appears that with shows like this she is offering a how to DYI guide. She would have done far more good by having real experts and trained people explain some of the reasons why people try to commit suicide and how we can recognize the warnings signs. As one who has lost loved ones to suicide I am offended by her trivialization of such a disturbing problem.
0

leftcoast, right winger, on Dec 29 2007, 08:58 AM, said:

In her quest for ratings it seems that Oprah will know no limits. I honestly believe that she often causes more harm than good. While she may think she is being helpful and have the best of intentions she is certainly no expert in many of the areas such as suicide prevention. Sometimes it appears that with shows like this she is offering a how to DYI guide. She would have done far more good by having real experts and trained people explain some of the reasons why people try to commit suicide and how we can recognize the warnings signs. As one who has lost loved ones to suicide I am offended by her trivialization of such a disturbing problem.


Very true.

I'm so sorry for your losses.
0
Page 1 of 1

Be Yourself. Everyone is already taken.

http://img.photobuck.../Dsc00535-1.jpgI know when the Spirit of God is there, animals are the first ones to mellow out."If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935"The poor dog, in life the firmest friend,The first to welcome, foremost to defend,Whose honest heart is still the master's own,Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,Unhonour'd falls, unnoticed all his worth,Denied in heaven the soul he held on earth,While man, vain insect hopes to be forgiven,And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven."Lord Byron Inscription on the monument of his Newfoundland dog, 1808" He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He willbe yours, faithful and true, to the last beatof his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy ofsuch devotion." Unknown

The Nauseatingly Cute Section

Links

Help Support Rightnation.US!Click HERE!Visit our store!Click HERE to shop!

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays