RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Amityville Horror The Return? - RightNation.US

-----
I have a scenerio for you all (for the friends in Texas as I am so reminded daily in Vehicle Services,"Y'all.")

I haven't been blogging much let alone online and doing my duties as a moderator. Why? Well, let me start from the beginning.....

About two summers ago I awoke to a popping sound. Then the sound of rice crispies in milk mixed with glass. My bedroom sliding glass door had been shot at by something and was shattering. Thank God for double paned window as it just penetrated the first layer of glass and didn't go all the way through. The size of the hole was about a quarter and the sound I heard was the glass spidering. My neighborhood further down from my street isn't that fantastic. Lined with illegal immigrants who lived with multiple families to a home that slept in shifts so as not to be caught. The MS-13 marked alot of the neighborhood to the point of bridges between the single family homes and townhomes being torn down. To see things like ""F" the 18th street gang was not unusual as wasn't marks from the MS-13. My house lies third from the park and from the sidewalk in front, anyone would have a straight shot a block away from the sidewalk in front.

Photos of the first window in my bedroom being shot out---notice Seamus' ears ;) :

http://smg.photobuck...th_Dsc00570.jpg

Last Tuesday, I called a friend telling her of a dream I had had. It was a bit gruesome in that I was in that paralized half awake state. I dreamed someone was trying to rob the house and was going to saw my ankles off. I remember in the haze looking at Seamus and he had gotten up. He never did that. He left me and went downstairs.

The next day after coming home from work and having a pleasant talk with the neighbors, I dropped my groceries in the kitchen in the back of the house. I don't normally go there during the morning as I am usually running late for work and heading out the front door. I noticed my back french door with the same glass spidered. It had only been the second pane as the door is a tempered glass.

I went outside and noticed my gate had been kicked in with huge muddy bootmarks on the outside. Someone had broken the door trying to kick it in. Stupidly, I didn't have a light fixed with a new bulb in the back. There was a small penny sized hole near the dead bolt and the door handle. I called my neighbor who had been helping with yard work and the police. They said again it had been shot at with something. My neighbors were extremely kind. Offering me to stay at their home and taking the time to replace bulbs and fixing the lock broken on the fence door. One even called me the next day asking how I was. I called my friend and told her my dream was in a sense, true. Work? Hah. I called my supervisor and left a voice mail mad and half crying I wouldn't be in the next day and why.

I spent the day watching and catching up on Sex in the City DVDs I had bought. I went to the store to finish buying the rest of the season and didn't answer the phone.

This is where the Amityville horror part comes in. I wake up every night at 3:15 on the dot. Last night, I thought I heard a bang and woke from a dead sleep. 3:15. I got up and woke Seamus then I grabbed an 8 inch knife we found on my deck that Tuesday we found out the back had been shot out. I went through the house looking at the windows and out them. You all (Texans :lol: Y'all) KNOW the thoughts that run through your heads at 3 am. I did call the police to come do a neighborhood check. They were there by 3:30 am. I felt safer but still couldn't shake the coincidence with the 3:15 referance to when the husband in the Amityville house woke up each night. Thoughts---could it be ghost f-ing with me? I went back to sleep with the knife tucked safely next to me. Fitful sleep with dreams of me sleeping next to a glass window and being shot at.

Before the need to move references come in, I know that and am working towards it. I called my doctor and asked for something to help me sleep through the night and he gave me something today with an appointment in early June. I don't think of this as a sign of weakness since I am afraid and know I will wake at 3:15 thinking someone was breaking in.

So there. To steal a line from Mr. Naron (hope you don't mind) and altering it---

My "brain" is fried. :lol:

7 Comments On This Entry

I have to confess -- I've never seen (or read) "Amityville Horror," so I'm not all that familiar with the 3:15 reference. That said, I know what it's like to be awakened in the middle of the night, certain you've heard a strange sound. When you live alone, that can be a very scary feeling.

Just last week, I was awakened at 3:45 a.m. to the sound of my doorbell ringing. Groggily, I arose, and went to peek out the window next to the front door (I was SO missing a peep-hole at that point), only to see a uniformed officer standing there. He'd been driving by, and noticed the hatch on my car was still up. God bless him for waking me to tell me. But that 15-30 seconds when I was waking up and trying to figure out who on God's green earth would be ringing my bell at that time of night -- well, let's just say the adrenaline was pumping.

I've been thinking lately, about possibly purchasing a gun, and going through some training. Frankly, though, I've neither the money, nor the time to do it, at present. I'm fortunate in that I live in what I would characterize as a relatively safe neighborhood. Still, waking in the middle of the night, knowing something isn't right, and not having someone else there to address it with/for you -- well, it just plain old sucks.

I'm so sorry about what you've been dealing with -- the window and door, work, all of it. I know you'd love to sell that place and move somewhere safer. I'd love that for you, too. In fact, I know some GREAT places in St. Louis.......

Seriously, though, if there's any way in which a long distance friend can help, just say the word. Whether it's just talking to you on the phone while you go through your house to verify the doors and windows are secure, or helping you figure out the finances so that you CAN move out of there -- whatever. Know that I (and other RN friends) are here for you. Even in the middle of the night. You are not alone. And I mean that in the good, friendly way, not the creepy, horror movie way. :razz:

Jax, on May 29 2008, 12:56 AM, said:

I have to confess -- I've never seen (or read) "Amityville Horror," so I'm not all that familiar with the 3:15 reference. That said, I know what it's like to be awakened in the middle of the night, certain you've heard a strange sound. When you live alone, that can be a very scary feeling.

Just last week, I was awakened at 3:45 a.m. to the sound of my doorbell ringing. Groggily, I arose, and went to peek out the window next to the front door (I was SO missing a peep-hole at that point), only to see a uniformed officer standing there. He'd been driving by, and noticed the hatch on my car was still up. God bless him for waking me to tell me. But that 15-30 seconds when I was waking up and trying to figure out who on God's green earth would be ringing my bell at that time of night -- well, let's just say the adrenaline was pumping.

I've been thinking lately, about possibly purchasing a gun, and going through some training. Frankly, though, I've neither the money, nor the time to do it, at present. I'm fortunate in that I live in what I would characterize as a relatively safe neighborhood. Still, waking in the middle of the night, knowing something isn't right, and not having someone else there to address it with/for you -- well, it just plain old sucks.

I'm so sorry about what you've been dealing with -- the window and door, work, all of it. I know you'd love to sell that place and move somewhere safer. I'd love that for you, too. In fact, I know some GREAT places in St. Louis.......

Seriously, though, if there's any way in which a long distance friend can help, just say the word. Whether it's just talking to you on the phone while you go through your house to verify the doors and windows are secure, or helping you figure out the finances so that you CAN move out of there -- whatever. Know that I (and other RN friends) are here for you. Even in the middle of the night. You are not alone. And I mean that in the good, friendly way, not the creepy, horror movie way. :razz:

Go to a gun show. You can save a substanstial amount of money. Do not let time or lack thereof interfere with your ability to protect and defend yourself.
Check the gun shops in your area. They usually have good quality used guns that, while not cheap, can be had for a better price than new.

Is your dog a barker? Dogs can be great early warning systems. I would also suggest that you invest in good locks. There are bars that can be installed on sliding glass doors (or a broomstick can be cut to length and laid on the track). There are also bars for hinged doors which are inexpensive and easy to install. They basically jam the door shut like the old chair under the door trick. These can be easily moved and can be used on bedroom doors. They are portable and some people use them in hotels and motels. They run about 30 bucks.

I would suggest sleeping in a room with the door and windows well secured. I would have a charged cell phone and a firearm in that room with me.
I live in a condo in Richardson,TX. Many of the Apts. around us are low rent or have Section 8's. We don't get much gunfire, but everything gets stolen off our patios ad we get a car burglary roughly once a week ! Now they are sliding under the cars and cutting off the catalytic converters. Sigh, not good but better than being used for target practice.
Jax---that absolutely would freak me out!!! I went down to the door this week thinking I heard a noise, holding the knife someone had left on my deck--8 inch blade--and checked for the keys in the deadbolt to be swinging from someone kicking on the door. It is so weird where your mind goes.

Thank you for the kind words. :hug: I'm the friend who is constantly living in a creepy horror movie life. :giggle:

Floridamom, Jax, and Horseman---I've been thinking of a gun for a while just haven't found the time to learn how to use it.

Floridamom---you are so right about,"Do not let time or lack thereof interfere with your ability to protect and defend yourself."

Horseman---I have the 8 inch knife right next to me, a can of pepper spray, and I wake up Seamus to do the rounds. Neither of my dogs bark though Seamus surprised me with the kindof bark he did the other day when I was coming home. It wasn't his typical bark but more threatening. He was the one that left the room to go down and look. He's been through this twice and I think he's learning. People are terrified of chow looking dogs for some reason. I have the hinge on my upstairs door. The downstairs that was just shot at is a french door so no hinge bar. I don't know what the other ones look like....do you have a picture of them? Not the one for sliding doors but the other one you described about the chair under the door thing. Thank you for the advice!

Treach----are you taking notes in here?!?!?!?!? I'm so sorry. :hug:
Dublin5

http://www.alltvstuff.com/jodo1.html

This site has a picture of what I am talking about. The same thing can be achieved with a wedge under and/or above the door. You could also install barrel bolts on the door, or a foot bolt. These are not very expensive and are easy to install. Of course this all depends on the quality of the door, but anything that will slow somebody down is better than nothing.

They also make foot bolts for sliding patio doors. I recently put in a new patio door which, by it's design, cannot be locked with a bar, and I was not happy with the lock provided. I got a foot bolt for it at Lowes for about $20 bucks and it installed very easily with a drill and a screw driver (believe me, I am not handy).

Once again (as a retired police officer) I would suggest that you get a firearm and learn how to use it. That is my opinion.

Good luck to you.

Dublin5, on May 30 2008, 08:58 PM, said:

Jax---that absolutely would freak me out!!! I went down to the door this week thinking I heard a noise, holding the knife someone had left on my deck--8 inch blade--and checked for the keys in the deadbolt to be swinging from someone kicking on the door. It is so weird where your mind goes.

Thank you for the kind words. :hug: I'm the friend who is constantly living in a creepy horror movie life. :giggle:
Floridamom, Jax, and Horseman---I've been thinking of a gun for a while just haven't found the time to learn how to use it.

Floridamom---you are so right about,"Do not let time or lack thereof interfere with your ability to protect and defend yourself."

Horseman---I have the 8 inch knife right next to me, a can of pepper spray, and I wake up Seamus to do the rounds. Neither of my dogs bark though Seamus surprised me with the kindof bark he did the other day when I was coming home. It wasn't his typical bark but more threatening. He was the one that left the room to go down and look. He's been through this twice and I think he's learning. People are terrified of chow looking dogs for some reason. I have the hinge on my upstairs door. The downstairs that was just shot at is a french door so no hinge bar. I don't know what the other ones look like....do you have a picture of them? Not the one for sliding doors but the other one you described about the chair under the door thing. Thank you for the advice!

Treach----are you taking notes in here?!?!?!?!? I'm so sorry. :hug:

Why are your keys hanging out in the deadbolt? Is that a door with a window? If it is, move those suckers!!! Find a place nearby but NOT IN THE DEADBOLT to stash them! If it's not....nevermind.

I checked and there's a home security/safety convention in Vegas in August........

Okay, I'm kidding, but I'm going to keep nagging you.
Page 1 of 1

Be Yourself. Everyone is already taken.

http://img.photobuck.../Dsc00535-1.jpgI know when the Spirit of God is there, animals are the first ones to mellow out."If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935"The poor dog, in life the firmest friend,The first to welcome, foremost to defend,Whose honest heart is still the master's own,Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,Unhonour'd falls, unnoticed all his worth,Denied in heaven the soul he held on earth,While man, vain insect hopes to be forgiven,And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven."Lord Byron Inscription on the monument of his Newfoundland dog, 1808" He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He willbe yours, faithful and true, to the last beatof his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy ofsuch devotion." Unknown

The Nauseatingly Cute Section

Links

Help Support Rightnation.US!Click HERE!Visit our store!Click HERE to shop!

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays