RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Midwest Flooding - RightNation.US

-----

Midwest Flooding

First off, my prayers to the people in these areas.

I don't understand the lack of news coverage on this initially. I'm starting to see more of it but it still isn't enough. Compared to New Orleans, this is beyond catastrophic. This is not to take away from the horrible loss of life and the poorly handled evacuations in New Orleans. I can't believe I have to add this in a sense but I don't see the outpouring of support to the Midwest as compared to New Orleans. What is the difference here? Is it that the Midwest is more along the lines of people that are fighting the levees on their own? Where are the "Hollywood" crowd supporting and offering to rebuild?

I'm confused on the difference here and maybe someone can shed some light on the difference. New Orleans didn't seem to add the economic drain that the Midwest and the crops would add to the Country yet we sent more people and supplies there to help rebuild. What about the farmers and people who have lost homes and income in the Midwest?

What is the mindset here that makes both so different? One with major out pouring from Hollywood and one from an area that is being almost completely ignored? It's like when Katrina hit, the other Gulf states were ignored and New Orleans got the coverage. I saw an article on people coming together to rebuild playgrounds in the Gulf states without "Hollywood" help. I believe the Midwest is now up to 27 levees breaking but I could be wrong in that number.

What is the difference in the response?

19 Comments On This Entry

Couple things, IMO. First, most of the people affected by this are in smaller towns/more rural communities, and tend to be of the more self-reliant persuasion and less prone to claiming victimhood and/or believing themselves helpless in the face of disaster. Then, too, this isn't something new. Folks who live along the river have been dealing with flooding their whole lives. Usually, it's not this bad. But even though it as 15 years ago, most of us clearly remember the Flood of '93. And this one is quite similar. As for the media's lack of coverage -- this one's harder to politicize.

Jax, on Jun 22 2008, 01:05 AM, said:

Couple things, IMO. First, most of the people affected by this are in smaller towns/more rural communities, and tend to be of the more self-reliant persuasion and less prone to claiming victimhood and/or believing themselves helpless in the face of disaster. Then, too, this isn't something new. Folks who live along the river have been dealing with flooding their whole lives. Usually, it's not this bad. But even though it as 15 years ago, most of us clearly remember the Flood of '93. And this one is quite similar. As for the media's lack of coverage -- this one's harder to politicize.

Yes, I agree with you on the victim mentality and officials have been feeding into it (ie: Nagin.) New Orlean has had more money poured into it than the rest of the Gulf states. The Midwest, because of the people coming together and not claiming victimhood, seem to be more resiliant and maybe that is the problem like you said.

While this isn't something new to the Midwest, they still deserve the coverage and support.

Dublin5, on Jun 21 2008, 10:11 PM, said:

Jax, on Jun 22 2008, 01:05 AM, said:

Yes, I agree with you on the victim mentality and officials have been feeding into it (ie: Nagin.) New Orlean has had more money poured into it than the rest of the Gulf states. The Midwest, because of the people coming together and not claiming victimhood, seem to be more resiliant and maybe that is the problem like you said.

While this isn't something new to the Midwest, they still deserve the coverage and support.

I was born in Good Ole Cedar Rapids- who cares- and this is the mentality of the media- who cares!?!?!?!

Iowa is Iowa- New Orleans is New Orleans. Now many folk know or care about the little town in Iowa. I can tell you from secondhand info that the situation is dire. My dad lost my father's day gift cuz of this crap- this isn't newsworthy- but it sux nonetheless. Cedar Rapids, and Iowa in general, isn't a great place for the "Rich and famous". so why would the media care?
People in the media only care when it is something they can use to attack Bush, Cheney and those evil Republicans. And since most Midwesterners are prepared for things in advance and pull together during bad times the media isn't interested in them. Too, Midwesterners are more in tune with nature and acept that acts of God will happen. And religious God fearing, God loving people just are not cool to the elites. People in flyover country are just too easy too ignore even if they are the heart of America.
Most of the people affected by this are (excuse me for not being color blind) are "white" and "middle class". People do not associate either as being "victims". They will pick themselves up whether the government helps them or not so they are not crying day and night on the doorsteps of government agencies begging for help and shelter, so it is a non-story. They are also not bitter even though they are upset. The press does not like to show people handling disaster well, it is not a good contrast to Katrina where they are still whining years later. Besides that there is no way that anyone could have prevented this so there is no one to blame and we all know blame is what makes a story good. How else are Dems going to get elected?

typo
I was in it, being from Cedar Rapids. Our house was on the outside edge of the "500 year" flood plain. We didn't get hit as bad as many, but we still got about 4' of water in the basement from the sewers and drains backing up and the heavy rain that came pouring through our basement windows Thurs. morning. We lost our water heater, washer, dryer and probably the furnace. I know many lost their homes, everything, so I am not whining, we were blessed to still have a home to live in. It is heartbreaking when you drive through the city and see piles upon piles of possessions sitting on the curb, I couldn't imagine pulling everything you owned out onto the curb to be thrown away.
Most of those hit the hardest where the businesses downtown, the factories who had to shut down (Quaker Oats), the farmers who lost corn crops, and low income people who lived by the river or in the flood plain. Most of these people were renters. It is highly unlikely the landlords, who also took a big hit, will rebuild. So, these people lost everything and are not financially well off, so for them to basically have to start over will be extremely difficult.
As much as I loath the idea, I did ask FEMA to help with replacing at least our furnace and the other appliances. We were rejected because we were not in the "disaster" zone. I understand their reasoning, there were others hit far worse than us and need the funds, but, my attitude was, "screw FEMA, screw the Fed. Govt.", we will find the money somewhere else. Some employers have been incredibly generous. My wife's employer gave us two generous grants that helped a lot. If I need to borrow for the rest, I will do what I have to do, but I certainly will not complain to my senator or congressman nor sit with hat in hand waiting for the government to help me. I know others here, especially in my neighborhood, feel the same. In our neighborhood, we helped each other, if someone needed a generator, someone provided one, a pump? got it. We helped each other survive this and get our homes back to a livable condition. We are Iowans, that is how we are.
As far as celebrities coming here to "help" or get a photo op, stay out. We don't want you here, don't need you here. Stay in Hollywood, you might actually have to get your hands dirty and do physical work if you show up here.
I am thankful for the National Guard being here, and I made it a point to thank them whenever the opportunity arose. We had to leave our home for a few days and it was very comforting to know they were on duty, protecting our neighborhoods from those who would take advantage of this situation. Consequently, we have had very little looting here, partially due to the beefed up security, part of due to how we are, we true Iowans. We don't take advantage of our neighbors loss.
So, it was an experience, one that I hope to never go through again. But, God was glorified in it, people helping each other, being generous beyond what was expected, neighborhoods coming together, our community uniting in a common purpose. God is so good. We will rebuild, we will come back stronger and better. This will not defeat us. We survived the flood of 08, and will keep that in mind when facing our next challenge.

SonofThunder, on Jun 22 2008, 09:32 AM, said:

I was in it, being from Cedar Rapids. Our house was on the outside edge of the "500 year" flood plain. We didn't get hit as bad as many, but we still got about 4' of water in the basement from the sewers and drains backing up and the heavy rain that came pouring through our basement windows Thurs. morning. We lost our water heater, washer, dryer and probably the furnace. I know many lost their homes, everything, so I am not whining, we were blessed to still have a home to live in. It is heartbreaking when you drive through the city and see piles upon piles of possessions sitting on the curb, I couldn't imagine pulling everything you owned out onto the curb to be thrown away.
Most of those hit the hardest where the businesses downtown, the factories who had to shut down (Quaker Oats), the farmers who lost corn crops, and low income people who lived by the river or in the flood plain. Most of these people were renters. It is highly unlikely the landlords, who also took a big hit, will rebuild. So, these people lost everything and are not financially well off, so for them to basically have to start over will be extremely difficult.
As much as I loath the idea, I did ask FEMA to help with replacing at least our furnace and the other appliances. We were rejected because we were not in the "disaster" zone. I understand their reasoning, there were others hit far worse than us and need the funds, but, my attitude was, "screw FEMA, screw the Fed. Govt.", we will find the money somewhere else. Some employers have been incredibly generous. My wife's employer gave us two generous grants that helped a lot. If I need to borrow for the rest, I will do what I have to do, but I certainly will not complain to my senator or congressman nor sit with hat in hand waiting for the government to help me. I know others here, especially in my neighborhood, feel the same. In our neighborhood, we helped each other, if someone needed a generator, someone provided one, a pump? got it. We helped each other survive this and get our homes back to a livable condition. We are Iowans, that is how we are.
As far as celebrities coming here to "help" or get a photo op, stay out. We don't want you here, don't need you here. Stay in Hollywood, you might actually have to get your hands dirty and do physical work if you show up here.
I am thankful for the National Guard being here, and I made it a point to thank them whenever the opportunity arose. We had to leave our home for a few days and it was very comforting to know they were on duty, protecting our neighborhoods from those who would take advantage of this situation. Consequently, we have had very little looting here, partially due to the beefed up security, part of due to how we are, we true Iowans. We don't take advantage of our neighbors loss.
So, it was an experience, one that I hope to never go through again. But, God was glorified in it, people helping each other, being generous beyond what was expected, neighborhoods coming together, our community uniting in a common purpose. God is so good. We will rebuild, we will come back stronger and better. This will not defeat us. We survived the flood of 08, and will keep that in mind when facing our next challenge.

I'm so sorry, Son of Thunder. I know you recognize that many were hit harder than you, but still, this is a very trying time for you. Your explanation and attitude about the situation are a perfect example/answer to Dublin's questions.

Is there anything folks on here can do to help? Send care packages? Anything like that? If so, please let us know. Hang in there. I'll keep y'all in my prayers. :D
I think the main reasons for the differences have already been addressed better than I ever could... we mid-westerners are just a boring lot... we just feed America, we don't repeat lines other people wrote for us and we don't spend too much money on cars and houses and we don't expect the government to bail us out... so we make for boring copy...

Having moved to Kansas from Orange County, California... I just can't even put into words the differences in most of the people... not all, but most... the farmers around here just sort of say "oh well, as soon as the water goes down we'll plant soybeans", the people whose houses are gone from tornadoes just keep saying "we'll, we're all alive and unhurt, so it will be okay". The community pitches in almost immediately to get things cleaned up and make sure everyone has a place to stay and food to eat... neighbors help neighbors out here. Not all, I'm not that naive, but by and large. As a qucik example, when we first moved to Topeka and hub was still in the Marines he had to go to Korea for a couple of weeks, so I went to AZ to see my mom with the new baby. We didn't really know any of our neighbors yet and still had a CA mentality so we didn't really tell anyone we would be gone. When we got back, our neighbors had mowed the grass for us... when asked why all I really got was a shrug... and a "we thought Tim might be deployed, it was the least we could do for you". They also come over and "mow" our driveway after every snowstorm... if one doesn't get to it, the other does. Never happen in Cali, for sure... I love the midwest... although I am totally over the weather.

SonofThunder, let me know if there's anything I can do to help from here in Kansas... need any chips or cheetos to get you through the tough times, I'm the girl to ask! :D God bless you and yours as you deal with the weather mess... we dodged it for the most part around here this year, Thank God!

Jax, on Jun 22 2008, 07:01 AM, said:

SonofThunder, on Jun 22 2008, 09:32 AM, said:

I'm so sorry, Son of Thunder. I know you recognize that many were hit harder than you, but still, this is a very trying time for you. Your explanation and attitude about the situation are a perfect example/answer to Dublin's questions.

Is there anything folks on here can do to help? Send care packages? Anything like that? If so, please let us know. Hang in there. I'll keep y'all in my prayers. :D

Thanks for your kind words and concern, Jax. We will be okay, just get things back to normal. We finished cleaning the basement today and hope to start putting things back this week. We have our new washer and dryer being delivered Tues., so it will be nice to be able to wash clothes again. God will provide for our needs, I have no doubt. We have many volunteers up here helping out, from various sources.
  • 2 Pages +

Be Yourself. Everyone is already taken.

http://img.photobuck.../Dsc00535-1.jpgI know when the Spirit of God is there, animals are the first ones to mellow out."If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935"The poor dog, in life the firmest friend,The first to welcome, foremost to defend,Whose honest heart is still the master's own,Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,Unhonour'd falls, unnoticed all his worth,Denied in heaven the soul he held on earth,While man, vain insect hopes to be forgiven,And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven."Lord Byron Inscription on the monument of his Newfoundland dog, 1808" He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He willbe yours, faithful and true, to the last beatof his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy ofsuch devotion." Unknown

The Nauseatingly Cute Section

Links

Help Support Rightnation.US!Click HERE!Visit our store!Click HERE to shop!

1 user(s) viewing

1 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays