RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Cultural "No-No?" - RightNation.US

-----

Cultural "No-No?"

Maybe I am the one missing a cultural diversity gene here or is it Obama?

I was under the impression that with the culture in India, it is impolite and even insulting to present anything with your left hand. The left hand being considered "unclean" in their culture.

I was watching the video and the expression on the Prime Minister's face. He looks like he is a bit uncomfortable. You would think Obama should have learned his lesson when bowing lower in Japan therefore making our Country look inferior and weak. I wondered how he handled any business cards that may have been handed to him in Japan? It's embarassing to have someone so unpolished in the cultural arena lead our Country and respresent us.

I did finally find ONE picture of this incase anyone has difficulty with the YouTube link:

http://images.huffin...TOAST-large.jpg

Toast (Go to the 2:50 mark.)

I haven't read anything negative about this so I don't know if anyone else is thinking about this little "faux pax." I'd be interested to read your views.

9 Comments On This Entry

He should have known better it is the same in the muslem culture as well and isn't he suppose to be "wordly" since he was raised in Indonesia??
I believe that Mr. Singh is a Sikh and not a muslim. Not sure if Sikhs would place the same significance upon using the left hand.
Couldn't find anything when I googled it. But Dumbo, having been raised a muslim is surely aware of the meaning.
My boyfriend, who is not a very politically-minded person, said something to me several months ago about how Obama is the least "presidential" president he has ever seen, and that he acts like a frat boy who does no school work because all he wants to do is party.

The P-Resident is suppose to be so learned in the ways of the world, considering he has been such a world traveler and speaks so highly of other nations, except his own of course. He is by far the most uncouth and ridiculously ignorant man (besides Carter that is) to "lead" this nation, he is an arrogant and stupid egomaniac. He is a non stop national and international embarrassment!
Dub,
You might find this link interesting :

http://triberefugees.ning.com/forum/topics...ltural-mistakes
I found this on Indian culture:

"It is believed that both the hands symbolise one mind, or the self meeting the self. While the right hand represents higher nature, the left hand denotes worldly or lower nature."

Link

If this is true, then he just lowered himself (the USA) to India as well if I'm reading that correctly. I know with the Hindu culture, the left hand is considered impure.

spt, on Nov 28 2009, 06:33 PM, said:

He should have known better it is the same in the muslem culture as well and isn't he suppose to be "wordly" since he was raised in Indonesia??

Good point.

oda-bea: My boyfriend, who is not a very politically-minded person, said something to me several months ago about how Obama is the least "presidential" president he has ever seen, and that he acts like a frat boy who does no school work because all he wants to do is party.

The P-Resident is suppose to be so learned in the ways of the world, considering he has been such a world traveler and speaks so highly of other nations, except his own of course. He is by far the most uncouth and ridiculously ignorant man (besides Carter that is) to "lead" this nation, he is an arrogant and stupid egomaniac. He is a non stop national and international embarrassment!

You would think. If winning the Nobel Peace Prize is having beer on the White House lawn with two people arguing, then your boyfriend is right. :crybaby: He is completely ignorant in alot of things---I think it's all the blood rushing out of his head from his nose being held so high. In the video, it shows him speaking to his wait staff and then insulting the man bringing the drinks in front of the guests. At the end of the video---he screws up the toast AGAIN! I noticed one of the comments about him calling the PM "Mohamed." :lol: Yikes.

Leftcoast---great link!!! That was interesting. And adding, same as with what spt said---good point.
Good question! Like LCRW, I always thought that right-handed eating and left-handed wiping was an Islamic distinction. Hindu rules about food and cleanliness are even more complicated, and (I believe) vary from one caste to another. I remember reading that certain castes are so degraded that no one accepts food from them, whereas other castes are so exalted that they're forbidden to accept food from anyone but their equals. (Taking a Brahman out to dinner must be a real headache.)

Not sure what the Sikh customs are. Sikhism incorporates certain features of Islam and certain features of Hinduism, but I don't know whose rules on hygeine got cribbed.

Mooga, on Nov 28 2009, 09:07 PM, said:

Good question! Like LCRW, I always thought that right-handed eating and left-handed wiping was an Islamic distinction. Hindu rules about food and cleanliness are even more complicated, and (I believe) vary from one caste to another. I remember reading that certain castes are so degraded that no one accepts food from them, whereas other castes are so exalted that they're forbidden to accept food from anyone but their equals. (Taking a Brahman out to dinner must be a real headache.)

Not sure what the Sikh customs are. Sikhism incorporates certain features of Islam and certain features of Hinduism, but I don't know whose rules on hygeine got cribbed.

I'm unable to find anything either regarding this. I did find a little bit about a chasm between Hinduism and Sikhism.

I found some customs in Sikhism regarding the dead, marriage, birth, etc:

Link
A quick search seems to show that in India it is considered rude to use the left hand for much of anything.
Even if the PM of India is Sikh, it still seems like a better idea to have erred on the side of the 'safe' thing to do, rather then just blow it all off and be the "Ugly American".
As with so many other faux pas of this still young Administration, whatever passes for an International Protocol Office in the White House is apparently still awaiting a staff!
Page 1 of 1

Be Yourself. Everyone is already taken.

http://img.photobuck.../Dsc00535-1.jpgI know when the Spirit of God is there, animals are the first ones to mellow out."If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935"The poor dog, in life the firmest friend,The first to welcome, foremost to defend,Whose honest heart is still the master's own,Who labours, fights, lives, breathes for him alone,Unhonour'd falls, unnoticed all his worth,Denied in heaven the soul he held on earth,While man, vain insect hopes to be forgiven,And claims himself a sole exclusive heaven."Lord Byron Inscription on the monument of his Newfoundland dog, 1808" He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He willbe yours, faithful and true, to the last beatof his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy ofsuch devotion." Unknown

The Nauseatingly Cute Section

Links

Help Support Rightnation.US!Click HERE!Visit our store!Click HERE to shop!

0 user(s) viewing

0 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays