RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Cord-Cutting Speeds Up As TV Providers Scramble to Boost Profits - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cord-Cutting Speeds Up As TV Providers Scramble to Boost Profits Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:08 AM

Cord-Cutting Speeds Up As TV Providers Scramble to Boost Profits
3:00 AM PDT 8/6/2019
by Etan Vlessing
Hollywood Reporter

<More Here>

The number of Americans who are cutting the cord on their cable, telco and satellite TV services continues to accelerate, according to a report from eMarketer released on Tuesday.

The findings come as the tipping point for cord-cutting has arrived as traditional TV providers look to boost profits by offering fewer promotions and Disney, WarnerMedia and Apple get set to join Netflix and Amazon Prime in the streaming arena.

eMarketer reports that by the end of this year the number of pay TV households will fall by 4 percent to 86.5 million and the number of households with a traditional pay TV subscription will fall below 80 million by 2021, with more than one fifth of households by then having become cord-cutters.

The research firm in its latest survey of the U.S. pay TV market said the number of households without a traditional pay TV subscription is quickly approaching the number of those that have one. The report predicts that, by 2023, the number of pay TV households will stand at 72.7 million, while the number of those without a pay TV package will number 56.1 million.

eMarketer found in its report that the accelerating pace of cord-cutting is caused by TV providers themselves as they put improving profit margins before revenues. "That is coming at the expense of subscribers, who often drop services when prices rise and promotional deals don't get renewed," eMarketer argues in its report.

AT&T during its latest financial quarter saw its entertainment division, which includes satellite TV provider DirecTV, lose 83,000 subscribers as they left the service when introductory price promotion plans lapsed. Rival Charter Communications is also losing subscribers as, rather than cut package prices as cord-cutting grows, promotional plans are ending as higher-margin customers are pursued.

(snip)

<More Here>

#2 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:15 AM

I seriously consider dropping DirecTv (AT&T now) every month when I see they increased my bill for no reason.

After last year's NFL season ended, I called DirecTv and told them to not renew my NFL package automatically. I was told that it was 'handled'. Last week I received a letter telling me if I didn't cancel my NFL package by a certain date that it would automatically renew.

<_<

I called. I cancelled.

The single reason I continue with DirecTv is because of the DVR service. I despise commercials these days and never watch anything live, which allows me to skip through commercials. I don't even watch the local news live. I pause it and go do something else while it gets ahead 30-60 minutes.

I am hoping that all of these new opportunities/methods from new companies forces cable/satellite providers to go "a la carte" and dump the 1,496 crappy channels nobody cares about. Let the 37 people who want to watch WE or OWN pay extra. I don't like subsidizing their choices.

#3 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:29 AM

After I got into an argument with a weirdly aggressive salesman in my cable companyís office and then complained to corporate, they cut my bill in half for a year. When the year is up I will go with Roku and only get internet from whomever is offering.

#4 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:44 AM

We dropped our cable. We already had ROKU and so we purchased "Philo." Except for sports, we're pretty happy. And actually, with how much political shaming we had to endure in sports programs we don't miss them much either.

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 06 August 2019 - 08:45 AM

#5 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:46 AM

We cut the cord years ago. I was paying almost $150/month just for the TV service. I watched all my shows on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, my son only watches YouTube, and my wife watched various sitcom reruns on cable. Now she watches all of that online via our FireTV and we never looked back.

#6 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 06 August 2019 - 08:58 AM

View PostModerator T, on 06 August 2019 - 08:46 AM, said:

We cut the cord years ago. I was paying almost $150/month just for the TV service. I watched all my shows on Netflix/Hulu/Amazon, my son only watches YouTube, and my wife watched various sitcom reruns on cable. Now she watches all of that online via our FireTV and we never looked back.

Streaming isn't a good option for me for another reason now that I think more about it. Because I live in a *very* rural area, I don't have any high speed internet choices. I have a point to point wireless service. I pay for the fastest plan they have, which is $72 per month for 10 Mbps up and 10 Mbps down. However, the tech guys like me because whenever they come over for a service call, I always send them off with a couple/few jars of homemade salsa and pickles, so they've bumped me up to 40/40. But that's still not really good enough for streaming.

#7 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:03 AM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 06 August 2019 - 08:15 AM, said:

I seriously consider dropping DirecTv (AT&T now) every month when I see they increased my bill for no reason.

After last year's NFL season ended, I called DirecTv and told them to not renew my NFL package automatically. I was told that it was 'handled'. Last week I received a letter telling me if I didn't cancel my NFL package by a certain date that it would automatically renew.

http://www.rightnation.us/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/dry.gif

I called. I cancelled.

The single reason I continue with DirecTv is because of the DVR service. I despise commercials these days and never watch anything live, which allows me to skip through commercials. I don't even watch the local news live. I pause it and go do something else while it gets ahead 30-60 minutes.

I am hoping that all of these new opportunities/methods from new companies forces cable/satellite providers to go "a la carte" and dump the 1,496 crappy channels nobody cares about. Let the 37 people who want to watch WE or OWN pay extra. I don't like subsidizing their choices.

I walked away from DtV you should to, the football and other nonsense won't be missed and you can get something like the Amazon firestick to cover most things.

Hell I have 3 TV's in the house and they are all off most days, other than watching Anime now on Firestick.

This post has been edited by Taggart Transcontinental: 06 August 2019 - 09:04 AM

#8 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence

Posted 06 August 2019 - 09:46 AM

View PostModerator T, on 06 August 2019 - 08:46 AM, said:

Same here. I really only watch Netflix and mostly Amazon now. I was getting reamed due to having a DVR, premium channels, etc. I much prefer streaming, better video and audio quality (local digital cable sucked at this, way too many compression artifacts) and for my tastes better selection of content. I also watch Pluto TV, a streaming service of various channels that do have commercials. They have a Dr. Who channel. Lots of Tom Baker. :thumbsup:

#9 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 06 August 2019 - 11:57 AM

Iíve cut the cord. However, I do use Sling for a few channels and AirTV for terrestrial TV.

Very happy only paying $25 a month.

#10 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:44 PM

View PostMTP Reggie, on 06 August 2019 - 08:58 AM, said:

Streaming isn't a good option for me for another reason now that I think more about it. Because I live in a *very* rural area, I don't have any high speed internet choices. I have a point to point wireless service. I pay for the fastest plan they have, which is $72 per month for 10 Mbps up and 10 Mbps down. However, the tech guys like me because whenever they come over for a service call, I always send them off with a couple/few jars of homemade salsa and pickles, so they've bumped me up to 40/40. But that's still not really good enough for streaming.

I'm at 45mbps download speed. It takes my wife, my son, myself, all streaming, with two computers playing games online before I see any issues. Unless you want some super ultra HD video, 40 should be more than enough. If you want to try it just hop on Youtube for an hour and play some music or listen to a podcast and see if you notice any issues.

Now that I think about it though a data cap may be a problem depending on your cap and how much television you watch.

#11 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 06 August 2019 - 02:45 PM

View PostSeverian, on 06 August 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

Same here. I really only watch Netflix and mostly Amazon now. I was getting reamed due to having a DVR, premium channels, etc. I much prefer streaming, better video and audio quality (local digital cable sucked at this, way too many compression artifacts) and for my tastes better selection of content. I also watch Pluto TV, a streaming service of various channels that do have commercials. They have a Dr. Who channel. Lots of Tom Baker. :thumbsup:

Pluto is good, as is Philo. Come black friday, do some investigating online. I was able to get Hulu for $1/month for a year pretty easily. Doesn't hurt to have a year of television for less than the cost of a pizza.

#12 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 06 August 2019 - 03:03 PM

#1. Offer much smaller channel packages.

#2. Offer people a channel ala cart and or ala cart and package options.

#3. Kill of the channels no one wants or watches already.

If these idiots don't change their ways and soon they will no longer exist in a couple years.

Good lord already, when people only really watch 10 or 12(if that) channels and they are paying for 150+ it doesn't take a genius to realize that sooner or later they will say to hell with it, it's just not worth it already. ESPECIALLY WHEN I CAN GET THE SAME DAMN CONTENT ELSEWHERE FOR MUCH MUCH LESS!

Besides, it's only a matter of time until the major networks by in large sever ties with Cable/Satellite providers. In effect this will be ala cart.
IE Sci Fi channel you pay a couple bucks a month and have access to their entire content, or just watch what ever they have on so to speak.
ESPN, same thing. Hell, WWE has even launched it's own streaming based channel with exclusive content. Others will follow, only a matter of time.

Think about it this way. Let's say you are a 'network such as a Sci Fi, History Channel or even any of the others who don't actually broadcast per sei.
Right know you get what maybe a deal with a provider such as Comcast, Dish, AT&T, Spectrum for 30 million over 3 years.

Know, you offer your content direct to consumer via the web for just $5 a month, even with just 300,000 customers that's 18 million a year. Over three years that's 54 million.
Sure operational costs would go up some vs know, but it would largely be a matter of setting up a data center or colocating equipment with ISP's. Sure as hell you'll make more money this way and not have the headaches in a new contract every few years.

#13 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 07 August 2019 - 12:06 AM

I cut the cord 3 years ago and I don't miss it a bit.

All of the cable providers did were to buy the rights to the most cheapest syndicated shows and "B" movies (not the best by any means like they used to do) and then raise their prices for their service and also cut their service off a little at a time, fewer and fewer channels.

So in other words they started buying the cheapest crap and then started charging more and more for it all for profit and excessive greed.

When Spectrum bought out Time Warner cable in my area, first thing they did was to force everyone to have to rent a converter box for every TV just to get basic cable and they raised the cost of the subscriptions as well. We got less for more money. We used to not need these tuners as our TVs now have built in tuners made to receive cable TV signals. They also increased the amount of commercials to the point of it being ridiculous as well as annoying. When we first got cable TV here in 1977, there were no commercials which was a part of the beauty of having it in the first place.

One thing that I can say that has been really bad about capitalism is that within these last 30 years that greed has gotten to be so excessively bad that it's ruining everything. There isn't anything out there left that the greedy bean counters haven't looked at and found ways of squeezing the most money out of to the point of it being beyond ridiculous. They have all gotten away with people tolerating it for far too long.

It's everywhere and in everything now. Finding ways to get more money out of less product and less service almost to the point of it being criminal. It's disgusting.

Hell, one cannot even find any new single family dwellings being built anywhere anymore. It's all freaking multi family condos because the developers can get suckers to pay big bucks for a unit so as to make more profit with less land and less building materials.

The stores all sell smaller packed products for the same prices as the larger products those replaced. More money for less on everything.

You cannot even go out for a night on the own to the grocery store, a club, a restaurant, a festival without blowing a hundred bucks.

#14 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 07 August 2019 - 08:07 AM

View PostModerator T, on 06 August 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

Pluto is good, as is Philo. Come black friday, do some investigating online. I was able to get Hulu for $1/month for a year pretty easily. Doesn't hurt to have a year of television for less than the cost of a pizza.

I've thought about Hulu from time to time. Problem is, my "to watch" queues on Netflix and Amazon are full enough that if I binge watch until the end of time I won't empty them! :blink: And it seems I scroll thru and add to them faster than I watch stuff!

#15 User is offline   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 07 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

View PostSeverian, on 07 August 2019 - 08:07 AM, said:

I've thought about Hulu from time to time. Problem is, my "to watch" queues on Netflix and Amazon are full enough that if I binge watch until the end of time I won't empty them! :blink: And it seems I scroll thru and add to them faster than I watch stuff!

I just saw that you'll be able to pick up the new Disney service, Hulu, and ESPN for $13/month. I may do that eventually.

The real beauty here is that none of these services have plans. That means when your queue gets thin on one, just cancel it and pick up another service and keep rotating. I know a lot of people who pick up CBS's service for 1 month to watch the new Star Trek series once its finished, or who would pick up HBO for a month to get access to Game of Thrones before cancelling. It saves a lot of money, and unlike cable where you have to call, sit on hold for 20 minutes, and then talk to Bill (who is clearly from a country where no one's named Bill), all you do is click a button in your preferences.

#16 User is offline   Severian 

Posted 07 August 2019 - 04:02 PM

View PostModerator T, on 07 August 2019 - 02:54 PM, said:

I just saw that you'll be able to pick up the new Disney service, Hulu, and ESPN for $13/month. I may do that eventually.

The real beauty here is that none of these services have plans. That means when your queue gets thin on one, just cancel it and pick up another service and keep rotating. I know a lot of people who pick up CBS's service for 1 month to watch the new Star Trek series once its finished, or who would pick up HBO for a month to get access to Game of Thrones before cancelling. It saves a lot of money, and unlike cable where you have to call, sit on hold for 20 minutes, and then talk to Bill (who is clearly from a country where no one's named Bill), all you do is click a button in your preferences.

All true. I plan on someday doing the CBS thing just to watch Star Trek and then cancel. One thing, this has really changed my TV consumption from turning on the set with cable and surfing to see if there is anything halfway worth watching, to specifically selecting things that have a much higher probability of being something I'll enjoy. Makes the limited amount of time I sit in front of the tube more rewarding and less zoning out to crap.

And the video and audio quality are both far, far superior to cable.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users