RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Students Demanded Divestment From Fossil Fuels, A Professor Offered To - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Students Demanded Divestment From Fossil Fuels, A Professor Offered To Turn Off The Gas Heating Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 01 February 2020 - 09:04 PM

Students Demanded Divestment From Fossil Fuels, A Professor Offered To Turn Off The Gas Heating

HotAir
John Sexton
Posted at 2:41 pm on January 31, 2020

Excerpt:

Professor Andrew Parker of St John’s College at Oxford University is my new favorite person. The Times of London reports that a group of students wrote to Professor Parker to discuss demands being made by student protesters about fossil fuel divestment. His response wasn’t what they were expecting:

Two students at St John’s College wrote to Andrew Parker, the principal bursar, this week requesting a meeting to discuss the protesters’ demands, which are that the college “declares a climate emergency and immediately divests from fossil fuels”. They say that the college, the richest in Oxford, has £8 million of its £551 million endowment fund invested in BP and Shell.

Professor Parker responded with a provocative offer. “I am not able to arrange any divestment at short notice,” he wrote. “But I can arrange for the gas central heating in college to be switched off with immediate effect. Please let me know if you support this proposal.”

One of the students wrote back and said he would present the proposal but he didn’t think Parker was being appropriately serious. Professor Parker responded to that note saying, “You are right that I am being provocative but I am provoking some clear thinking, I hope. It is all too easy to request others to do things that carry no personal cost to yourself. The question is whether you and others are prepared to make personal sacrifices to achieve the goals of environmental improvement (which I support as a goal).” The best part of the story is the response from the organizer of the protest:

Fergus Green, the organiser of the wider protest, who is studying for a master’s degree in physics and philosophy at Balliol College, said: “This is an inappropriate and flippant response by the bursar to what we were hoping would be a mature discussion. It’s January and it would be borderline dangerous to switch off the central heating.”

Yes, it would be rash and “borderline dangerous” to do something like that.

Now step back and take notice how closely this small debate at one college is a microcosm of the larger debate taking place around the globe. The teenage face of the anti-fossil fuel movement, Greta Thunberg, recently demanded “real zero” emissions starting right now. Following her advice would be the equivalent of cutting off the gas that heats the campus in the middle of winter. It wouldn’t just be “borderline dangerous” it would almost certainly be catastrophic for millions of people. Despite this, I bet protest organizer Fergus Green thinks she’s part of a “mature discussion.” In any case, a lot of people like him seem to think so.

*snip*

Full Article

#2 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 01 February 2020 - 10:25 PM

Sounds like the same enviro-nut-all-Trump's-fault-that-pollution-is-up shidt that the progtard union goon at work started in on me with this morning because he was all butthurt that there will not be any witnesses at the impeachment farce.

He was all pissy that Coke-A-Cola stated that they were going to continue the use of plastic bottles for their products and that it was destroying the environment.
He went on to say that because of Trump more factories are polluting, cars are bigger and pollute more, yada yada yada.

I asked him if he remembers what it was like here in the 1960's and 1970's when our skies were yellow and orange for most of the summer days back then? That the city had two big garbage incinerators, that coal was still widely used for heat and in the winters for most and the smokestacks from buildings and homes all across the city belched black smoke all of the time?

And that now we are cleaner than ever? The Ohio river was always red to brown then and now it's a clean natural green and has a lot of fish that it didn't back then?

Oh, he didn't want to hear any of that TRUTH and FACTS.

He then said that "you and other young people are completely worthless to this country". (Now this is a guy that I've never discussed politics with ever because I knew he was a progtard democrap.)

I then informed the democrat douchebag that I'm 56 years old (I have no gray hair), not young by any means and don't go there with the ignorant insults because I will mop the floor with his stupid ass in any political debate as well as physically too if it is needed. He finished his work and kept his pie hole shut for the rest of the day after that.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 01 February 2020 - 10:40 PM

#3 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 01 February 2020 - 11:57 PM

View PostLiz, on 01 February 2020 - 09:04 PM, said:

Fergus Green, the organiser of the wider protest, who is studying for a master’s degree in physics and philosophy at Balliol College, said: “This is an inappropriate and flippant response by the bursar to what we were hoping would be a mature discussion. It’s January and it would be borderline dangerous to switch off the central heating.”

Isn't the goal of divestment from fossil fuels to put the fossil fuel industry out of business? Wouldn't that also switch off the central heating?

Or is the goal of divestment from fossil fuels simply to virtue signal...

#4 User is online   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 02 February 2020 - 12:08 AM

:biglaugh:

:welldone:

This post has been edited by Howsithangin: 02 February 2020 - 12:08 AM

#5 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 02 February 2020 - 07:32 AM

When one ever asks these dummies what do we have right now that works to replace fossil fuels and can YOU afford it?, it usually shuts them down because they cannot truthfully answer that question.

Then I tell them: "Yeah, that's what I thought. So STFU."

#6 User is offline   USMCforever60 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 02 February 2020 - 09:47 AM

Students Demanded Divestment From Fossil Fuels, A Professor Offered To Turn Off The Gas Heating

HotAir
John Sexton

Excerpt:

Professor Andrew Parker of St John’s College at Oxford University is my new favorite person. The Times of London reports that a group of students wrote to Professor Parker to discuss demands being made by student protesters about fossil fuel divestment. His response wasn’t what they were expecting:

Two students at St John’s College wrote to Andrew Parker, the principal bursar, this week requesting a meeting to discuss the protesters’ demands, which are that the college “declares a climate emergency and immediately divests from fossil fuels”. They say that the college, the richest in Oxford, has £8 million of its £551 million endowment fund invested in BP and Shell.

Professor Parker responded with a provocative offer. “I am not able to arrange any divestment at short notice,” he wrote. “But I can arrange for the gas central heating in college to be switched off with immediate effect. Please let me know if you support this proposal.”

One of the students wrote back and said he would present the proposal but he didn’t think Parker was being appropriately serious. Professor Parker responded to that note saying, “You are right that I am being provocative but I am provoking some clear thinking, I hope. It is all too easy to request others to do things that carry no personal cost to yourself. The question is whether you and others are prepared to make personal sacrifices to achieve the goals of environmental improvement (which I support as a goal).” The best part of the story is the response from the organizer of the protest:

Now step back and take notice how closely this small debate at one college is a microcosm of the larger debate taking place around the globe. The teenage face of the anti-fossil fuel movement, Greta Thunberg, recently demanded “real zero” emissions starting right now. Following her advice would be the equivalent of cutting off the gas that heats the campus in the middle of winter. It wouldn’t just be “borderline dangerous” it would almost certainly be catastrophic for millions of people. Despite this, I bet protest organizer Fergus Green thinks she’s part of a “mature discussion.” In any case, a lot of people like him seem to think so.

*snip*

Full Article

Professor Parker, you get tired of dealing with the Brit snowflakes, jump the pond! You are exactly the type of professor that is needed by most of the liberal art indoctrination programs that pass as higher institutes of learning in America.
And Fergus, you better get your big boy drawers on. Once Brexit gets rolling, the govt will have a nice job for you in either the dog or bird poop removal programs soon to be started.
As my Dad would say "You dont know a damn thing. Shut up, sit down and be quiet."

#7 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:02 AM

View PostUSMCforever60, on 02 February 2020 - 09:47 AM, said:

Professor Parker, you get tired of dealing with the Brit snowflakes, jump the pond! You are exactly the type of professor that is needed by most of the liberal art indoctrination programs that pass as higher institutes of learning in America.
And Fergus, you better get your big boy drawers on. Once Brexit gets rolling, the govt will have a nice job for you in either the dog or bird poop removal programs soon to be started.
As my Dad would say "You dont know a damn thing. Shut up, sit down and be quiet."

Isnt that like jumping from a small fire into a huge one......lol

HotAir
John Sexton

Excerpt:

*snip*

Full Article

Oxford of all places, how depressing as a Brit.

#8 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:26 AM

View Postscotsman, on 02 February 2020 - 11:02 AM, said:

Isnt that like jumping from a small fire into a huge one......lol

Oxford of all places, how depressing as a Brit.

Yeah, kind of like finding out Socrates is now teaching feminist dance therapy and self identifies as a lesbian Eskimo woman.

#9 User is online   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:45 AM

View PostSeverian, on 02 February 2020 - 11:26 AM, said:

Yeah, kind of like finding out Socrates is now teaching feminist dance therapy and self identifies as a lesbian Eskimo woman.

#10 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 02 February 2020 - 06:26 PM

Flippant? It seems a very apt response to the demands, an immediate address to the 'issue' that everyone might enjoy while those who requested it may edify their fellow students why it was the right thing to do.

I also find it incredibly interesting that Fergus is studying for a master's in physics and philosophy...

Fergus strikes me as many of our leftards do, ignorant, self retarded and entirely oblivious to reality.

#11 User is offline   OilFieldGuy 

• <no title>
  • Group: Community-Supported

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:25 AM

View PostRock N, on 01 February 2020 - 10:25 PM, said:

Sounds like the same enviro-nut-all-Trump's-fault-that-pollution-is-up shidt that the progtard union goon at work started in on me with this morning because he was all butthurt that there will not be any witnesses at the impeachment farce.

He was all pissy that Coke-A-Cola stated that they were going to continue the use of plastic bottles for their products and that it was destroying the environment.
He went on to say that because of Trump more factories are polluting, cars are bigger and pollute more, yada yada yada.

I asked him if he remembers what it was like here in the 1960's and 1970's when our skies were yellow and orange for most of the summer days back then? That the city had two big garbage incinerators, that coal was still widely used for heat and in the winters for most and the smokestacks from buildings and homes all across the city belched black smoke all of the time?

And that now we are cleaner than ever? The Ohio river was always red to brown then and now it's a clean natural green and has a lot of fish that it didn't back then?

Oh, he didn't want to hear any of that TRUTH and FACTS.

He then said that "you and other young people are completely worthless to this country". (Now this is a guy that I've never discussed politics with ever because I knew he was a progtard democrap.)

I then informed the democrat douchebag that I'm 56 years old (I have no gray hair), not young by any means and don't go there with the ignorant insults because I will mop the floor with his stupid ass in any political debate as well as physically too if it is needed. He finished his work and kept his pie hole shut for the rest of the day after that.

Been in the oil business here in west Texas for damn near 56 years and I have a bunch of gray hair, don't think many understand just how much our energy production has changed in that time. Not sure many understand just how much we've changed in that time. Before oil and gas we had wood and coal and we burnt it as fast as we could. A steam powered train had to stop every 25 miles to reload on water and wood, with coal they could go twice as far. Wood was consumed at an incredible rate! Pop talks about dropping into the Los Angeles basin coming in from El Cahon and the air would be so dense with wood smoke that you couldn't see the cities below. Remove oil and gas production and we're back to steam engines and wood burning stoves in short order.

#12 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 04 February 2020 - 11:09 AM

View PostOilFieldGuy, on 04 February 2020 - 08:25 AM, said:

Been in the oil business here in west Texas for damn near 56 years and I have a bunch of gray hair, don't think many understand just how much our energy production has changed in that time. Not sure many understand just how much we've changed in that time. Before oil and gas we had wood and coal and we burnt it as fast as we could. A steam powered train had to stop every 25 miles to reload on water and wood, with coal they could go twice as far. Wood was consumed at an incredible rate! Pop talks about dropping into the Los Angeles basin coming in from El Cahon and the air would be so dense with wood smoke that you couldn't see the cities below. Remove oil and gas production and we're back to steam engines and wood burning stoves in short order.

Yup.

Trouble with the self-appointed envirowhackos is that they don't grasp the concept of "consequences". They're just like two-yr-old brats throwing a tantrum because they don't wanna eat their peas, and don't care about any 2nd-order or 3rd-order effects.

B)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users