RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: US drops largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan after Green Beret kil - RightNation.US

Jump to content

US drops largest non-nuclear bomb in Afghanistan after Green Beret kil Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   Severian 

  • Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 9,626
  • Joined: 14-February 04

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 14 April 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

Yeah, LOL, I guess it all boils down to how old you are. To somebody like me, who was already disgusted with "modern" pop culture by the mid-80's, a movie from 1985 just doesn't count as "old". But I can understand why somebody half my age would see it differently.

:shrug:

To me, Nosferatu, Metropolis, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, or Charlie Chaplin are old movies, maybe even up to Casablanca or The Maltese Falcon, but not anything in the 80s. I saw Blade Runner in 82, and refuse to say it's an old movie cause that would mean I'm old. Derp.
0

#22 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 44,095
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:03 PM

View PostSeverian, on 14 April 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

To me, Nosferatu, Metropolis, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, or Charlie Chaplin are old movies, maybe even up to Casablanca or The Maltese Falcon, but not anything in the 80s. I saw Blade Runner in 82, and refuse to say it's an old movie cause that would mean I'm old. Derp.


Derp!

:yes:
0

#23 User is offline   Adam Smithee 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,736
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:31 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 13 April 2017 - 07:10 PM, said:

Yes, I got the American Bandstand reference. :D My only problem is that it's impossible for me to think of 80's music as "moldy oldies", LOL.

Yeah, I'm that old.

:confused:


Wrong choice of words on my part. I guess it's more on an in-between song: old enough that you don't hear it on modern/contemporary/"Top 40" stations any more, but yet it doesn't quite fit the "classic rock" genre either.
0

#24 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 44,095
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostAdam Smithee, on 15 April 2017 - 08:31 AM, said:

Wrong choice of words on my part. I guess it's more on an in-between song: old enough that you don't hear it on modern/contemporary/"Top 40" stations any more, but yet it doesn't quite fit the "classic rock" genre either.


Well I must admit my own definition of "classic rock" is very limited. Stuff from the 50's & 60's qualifies. For a few examples Chuck Berry & Little Richard qualify. The Beatles & the early Stones qualify. But when I put the radio on the local "classic rock" stations they're playing stuff like Motley Crue and Judas Priest, LOL, which don't qualify in my book.

:shrug:
0

#25 User is offline   Adam Smithee 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,736
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:46 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 15 April 2017 - 01:18 PM, said:

Well I must admit my own definition of "classic rock" is very limited. Stuff from the 50's & 60's qualifies. For a few examples Chuck Berry & Little Richard qualify. The Beatles & the early Stones qualify. But when I put the radio on the local "classic rock" stations they're playing stuff like Motley Crue and Judas Priest, LOL, which don't qualify in my book.

:shrug:


Well, one has to draw a line somewhere, so I will draw it: Judas Priest (est 1969) "counts". Motley Crue (est 1981) "doesn't".
0

#26 User is offline   Adam Smithee 

  • <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 15,736
  • Joined: 11-December 04

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:16 PM

View PostSeverian, on 14 April 2017 - 06:57 PM, said:

To me, Nosferatu, Metropolis, The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari, or Charlie Chaplin are old movies, maybe even up to Casablanca or The Maltese Falcon, but not anything in the 80s. I saw Blade Runner in 82, and refuse to say it's an old movie cause that would mean I'm old. Derp.


Me? Film Noir from the '30s to the mid '60s.

'70's /'80s B-movies were a thing all of their own. I could write a whole book on the topic.

Since then, Blade Runner was a RARE classic.

As an AFI voting member, this is Perennially my Best Scene ever in the modern era:



Rutger Hauer and Harrison Ford at their best. Nothing more needs to be said.
0

#27 User is offline   gravelrash 

  • I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 10,205
  • Joined: 24-June 03

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:32 PM

View PostAdam Smithee, on 15 April 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

Me? Film Noir from the '30s to the mid '60s.

'70's /'80s B-movies were a thing all of their own. I could write a whole book on the topic.

Since then, Blade Runner was a RARE classic.

As an AFI voting member, this is Perennially my Best Scene ever in the modern era:



Rutger Hauer and Harrison Ford at their best. Nothing more needs to be said.


Also my favorite movie scene. Perhaps ever.

Story goes that Rutger Hauer adlibbed most of his monologue. Hence Harrison Ford's bewildered expression. Ridley Scott kept the scene going because he knew that he had something special.


Oh, and :offtopic:

The carcass count is up to 94. Not to mention the obliteration of a major terrorist hidey-hole.
0

#28 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 44,095
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:44 PM

View PostAdam Smithee, on 15 April 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

Well, one has to draw a line somewhere, so I will draw it: Judas Priest (est 1969) "counts". Motley Crue (est 1981) "doesn't".


Fair enough.

But Gravelrash is right:


View Postgravelrash, on 15 April 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

Oh, and :offtopic:


Oops, sorry.

:blush:
0

Share this topic:


  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users