RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: James Holzhauer’s ‘Jeopardy!’ Streak Ends Just Shy of a Record - RightNation.US

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

James Holzhauer’s ‘Jeopardy!’ Streak Ends Just Shy of a Record Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

  • Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 7,092
  • Joined: 27-June 03

Posted 03 June 2019 - 07:36 PM

James Holzhauer’s ‘Jeopardy!’ Streak Ends Just Shy of a Record
The show’s most dominant player in years came just $58,484 short of the $2.52 million Ken Jennings won during his famous run.
By Julia Jacobs
June 3, 2019
www.nytimes.com

For weeks, the “Jeopardy!” phenomenon James Holzhauer had been unstoppable.

He set the record for the most money won in one episode, holds the second spot on the list, and the next 14. Eleven times during his winning streak, he went a whole game without buzzing in incorrectly. For fans, the question was not whether he would surpass the $2.52 million Ken Jennings won during his record 74-game winning streak in 2004, but when.

The correct response:

What is never?

In the prerecorded episode that aired on Monday, Holzhauer’s “Jeopardy!” reign came to an end with his 33rd game, a tantalizing $58,484 shy of Jennings’s mark. The number of the day turned out to be $22,002, the amount that separated him from the winner, a librarian from Chicago named Emma Boettcher.

The surprising end caused even the famously dispassionate host to practically lose his composure.

“What a game!” Alex Trebek exclaimed after Boettcher’s final score popped up. “Oh my gosh!”

More
0

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 57,756
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 03 June 2019 - 10:07 PM

Yup. I rarely miss Jeopardy, one of my favorite TV shows. James Holzhauer has quickly risen to my favorite Jeopardy player, just above Ken Jennings & Brad Rutter.

I'm sorry he didn't beat Jennings' highest accumulated score record, but holding the top 16 "Highest Daily Score" spots more than makes up for it.

Sad to see him go, but it was about time. Nobody can win forever.

B)
0

#3 User is online   zurg 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 28,273
  • Joined: 19-October 09

Posted 03 June 2019 - 11:20 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 03 June 2019 - 10:07 PM, said:

Sad to see him go, but it was about time. Nobody can win forever.

B)

Trump: “hold my beer”. :whistle:
0

#4 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 57,756
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 04 June 2019 - 12:44 AM

View Postzurg, on 03 June 2019 - 11:20 PM, said:

Trump: “hold my beer”. :whistle:


LOL

Seriously though, I would've sworn there was a fleeting look of relief on Holzhauer's face when the game was finished and he knew his run was finally over. I kinda think he was delighted he could at last go back home, be with his family and friends, resume his regular life and activities, etc.

I noticed he was the first to rush over and high-five the woman who beat him.

:)
0

#5 User is offline   BARman29 

  • Stay resolute.
  • Group: Silver
  • Posts: 15,309
  • Joined: 14-July 04

Posted 04 June 2019 - 04:53 AM

I thought he looked bored and was just playing through, doing just enough to win. He's ready to start interviewing with MLB teams for a job.
0

#6 User is online   zurg 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 28,273
  • Joined: 19-October 09

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:01 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 04 June 2019 - 12:44 AM, said:

LOL

Seriously though, I would've sworn there was a fleeting look of relief on Holzhauer's face when the game was finished and he knew his run was finally over. I kinda think he was delighted he could at last go back home, be with his family and friends, resume his regular life and activities, etc.

I noticed he was the first to rush over and high-five the woman who beat him.

:)

Good point. Despite all the winnings, it’s gotta be stressful, and I could totally see that.
0

#7 User is offline   Coach 

  • Coach
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 14,857
  • Joined: 17-November 03

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:02 AM

It was a set up. He took a dive.
0

#8 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 57,756
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:05 AM

View PostCoach, on 04 June 2019 - 11:02 AM, said:

It was a set up. He took a dive.


I think you're just kidding, but can't be certain.

You're kidding, right?

:coolshades:
0

#9 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

  • Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 7,092
  • Joined: 27-June 03

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:30 PM

Maybe he didn't quite break Jennings's record, but Holzhauer is the far more influential and revolutionary player, I think (so far as changing the way a game is played is "influential" and "revolutionary"). Of course the daily doubles are going to be where the harder clues are at the bottom and lower middle, not where the easy ones are up top. Surprising to think that no one played it like Holzhauer did by going right for that part of the board a lot sooner. I wonder how many more will adopt his tactics and strategies, now. Might even have to change the rules of that part of the game, eventually. He maybe made a paradigm shift (well, a paradigm shift in the world of that little game show, anyway).

This post has been edited by Ben Cranklin: 04 June 2019 - 06:35 PM

0

#10 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 57,756
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 05 June 2019 - 10:23 AM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 04 June 2019 - 06:30 PM, said:

Maybe he didn't quite break Jennings's record, but Holzhauer is the far more influential and revolutionary player, I think (so far as changing the way a game is played is "influential" and "revolutionary"). Of course the daily doubles are going to be where the harder clues are at the bottom and lower middle, not where the easy ones are up top. Surprising to think that no one played it like Holzhauer did by going right for that part of the board a lot sooner. I wonder how many more will adopt his tactics and strategies, now. Might even have to change the rules of that part of the game, eventually. He maybe made a paradigm shift (well, a paradigm shift in the world of that little game show, anyway).


Yeah, I've always wondered about that: I've been watching Jeopardy for decades, and I can't understand why all the contestants don't automatically start with the highest-scoring questions.

B)
0

#11 User is offline   Hieronymous 

  • Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 9,078
  • Joined: 16-April 09

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:24 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 04 June 2019 - 12:44 AM, said:

LOL

Seriously though, I would've sworn there was a fleeting look of relief on Holzhauer's face when the game was finished and he knew his run was finally over. I kinda think he was delighted he could at last go back home, be with his family and friends, resume his regular life and activities, etc.

I noticed he was the first to rush over and high-five the woman who beat him.

:)

Kind of like the look on Charles Van Doren's face in the movie Quiz Show...

Good movie, btw.
0

#12 User is offline   MontyPython 

  • Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold
  • Posts: 57,756
  • Joined: 28-February 03

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:09 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 07 June 2019 - 06:24 PM, said:

Kind of like the look on Charles Van Doren's face in the movie Quiz Show...

Good movie, btw.


:shrug:

Never heard of it.

:shrug:
0

#13 User is offline   Hieronymous 

  • Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter
  • Posts: 9,078
  • Joined: 16-April 09

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:59 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 07 June 2019 - 08:09 PM, said:

:shrug:

Never heard of it.

:shrug:

Been out for about 20 years or more. All about the game show rigging scandals back in the 60s. Ron Howard directed, and John Turturro was really good as the guy who was told to take a dive on a quiz show, then made it his obsession to expose the chicanery.
0

#14 User is offline   Magic Rat 

  • <no title>
  • Group: Bronze
  • Posts: 6,671
  • Joined: 12-April 04

Posted 07 June 2019 - 11:57 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 07 June 2019 - 10:59 PM, said:

Been out for about 20 years or more. All about the game show rigging scandals back in the 60s. Ron Howard directed, and John Turturro was really good as the guy who was told to take a dive on a quiz show, then made it his obsession to expose the chicanery.

Turturro was always good in those days.
0

#15 User is offline   Ladybird 

  • <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter
  • Posts: 17,139
  • Joined: 26-October 07

Posted 08 June 2019 - 08:41 AM

View PostHieronymous, on 07 June 2019 - 06:24 PM, said:

Kind of like the look on Charles Van Doren's face in the movie Quiz Show...

Good movie, btw.


He passed away back in April..

I loved that movie. The line about the 'Reuben Sandwich' was great.
0

Share this topic:


Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users