RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: All Time Greatest Rock Song About...Time - RightNation.US

-----
Since it's been a long time since I've done one of these music threads, well, you get it. Time is a common lyrical theme for obvious reasons, but I can't help but wonder if much of the inspiration to write songs about time comes from being under the gun to finish an album. "We're running out of time you drunk bunch of pansy hair dressers!" One can imagine was shouted hundreds of times in the rock era.

Probably not so much anymore. It seems like bands take FOREVER between albums these days even though they have the technology to crank them out in no time at all. Very little need for splicing tape these days. Yet, the albums come out, and they suck. I'm looking at you Metallica and U2. What steaming piles of garbage you make us wait HALF A FREAKING DECADE for! Yeah, yeah we're not exactly going down to the record store (through the ice and snow if you're a Saxon fan) to specifically buy any particular band's new album. We're searching Spotify and sort of listening to the new album for "free" while we run errands. We still pay $10 a month for streaming, and you still charge $150 for a ticket to your show. Have some new music that's good. How hard can it be?

Really hard, I'd imagine. If you're Metallica, you have to deal with Lars, and he's always sucked. If you're in U2, you know The Edge isn't exactly a guitar virtuoso, and Bono's rhyming dictionary is in tatters. And I know it must be extremely annoying to tear yourselves away from semi-retirement/life-of-leisure, but give us a break. If you can't put out a good album, just don't put one out. Here's an idea: go ahead and call it a day. Why tarnish your legacy by hanging around doing albums with Lou Reed and hiring producers like Danger Mouse?

You know how Trump just became president because the media and cultural elite were out of touch? Well, you're part of that bubble. You don't know how much your new stuff sucks because you're surrounded by people who won't tell you, and the way sales are recorded don't manifest the suckitude like it used to. Can you imagine if U2 released Songs of Innocence back in the 80s? It would have sold a copy for each member of the band. Larry might not have even bought his because he'd been replaced by a drum machine.

The point is we deserve better. Our time is valuable, too.

Here are the rules for you to not follow: It has to be a rock song. Cindi Lauper isn't rock. Jim Croce isn't rock. The lyrical theme has to be time if time itself isn't in the title. Okay, now my list...

5. Caught Somewhere in Time--Iron Maiden

4. Time--Pink Floyd

3. The Night Time is the Right Time--Creedence Clearwater Revival

2. Time Cannon/Killing Time--Triumph

1. Bennett Built a Time Machine--Spock's Beard

My Mind is Clean

36 Comments On This Entry

and of course
I thought of these two all on my own. I didn't do a search. As a matter of fact, I could probably sing all the lyrics along with them without any cheat sheets.
OF COURSE it's Pink Floyd. But you knew that. The others were just bait, just to see if mere mortals would glom onto it.

Wag-a-Muffin (D), on 12 November 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

I'll send you the ER bill cuz I just had a seizure from that video. Good song, though.

Adam Smithee, on 12 November 2016 - 07:21 PM, said:

OF COURSE it's Pink Floyd. But you knew that. The others were just bait, just to see if mere mortals would glom onto it.

I put a PF song on the list just to avoid this. But it's unavoidable. Alas.

An early Yes song: "Tima and a Word"

MontyPython, on 12 November 2016 - 07:31 PM, said:

An early Yes song: "Tima and a Word"

That is early. Embryonic even.
Time by the Chambers Brothers

firecoco, on 12 November 2016 - 07:44 PM, said:

Time by the Chambers Brothers

I see wag already did that one
My first thought was Triumph`s Time Cannon, well and PF`s Time.
I thought about Alan Parsons and Time from the Turn of a Friendly Card album, but wondered how "rock and roll" The APP really was.

So this song hit me, and really, can you have a list of songs without a little JT on it?
I didn`t think so.

https://www.youtube....h?v=EsCyC1dZiN8

gravelrash, on 12 November 2016 - 07:48 PM, said:

Yes!

GrumpyOldMan, on 12 November 2016 - 07:53 PM, said:

My first thought was Triumph`s Time Cannon, well and PF`s Time.I thought about Alan Parsons and Time from the Turn of a Friendly Card album, but wondered how "rock and roll" The APP really was.So this song hit me, and really, can you have a list of songs without a little JT on it?I didn`t think so.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsCyC1dZiN8

APP is rock enough. JT is cool. Not a fan of that particular song. The movie industry is.

Mr. Naron, on 12 November 2016 - 07:25 PM, said:

Adam Smithee, on 12 November 2016 - 07:21 PM, said:

I put a PF song on the list just to avoid this. But it's unavoidable. Alas.

:)

gravelrash, on 12 November 2016 - 07:48 PM, said:

oooh, that's at least a close second to Pink Floyd.
I'm almost hesitant to mention it, I really don't want anyone offing themselves on MY watch, but...

Ladybird, on 12 November 2016 - 08:32 PM, said:

I'll see you're Pretenders and raise you a Bangles... :)

• 2 Pages +

4 user(s) viewing

4 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

New Blogroll! And...World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Blog Roll
Ace of Spades
National Review
Got News
RealClearPolitics
ZeroHedge
The Federalist
African American Conservatives
Instapundit

World's Shortest Movie Reviews
American Sniper: Bradly Cooper=Best Actor
The Arroyo: Had a Pureflix feel to the acting, but well shot. Great conservative movie.
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: As usual, the third installment is the best--having an ending really helped.
The Maze Runner: The perfect metaphor for moving to Detroit.
Dumb and Dumber To: More jokes. Cruder jokes. Someone gets hooked on crack.
Snowpiercer: Joe Biden's idea of heaven. Everyone on the Earth living on a train. Captain America admits he was going to eat Billy Elliot.
Hunger Games: Catching Fire: This is what the world would look like without college football.
Interstellar 2001:A Space Odyssey with a soul. You will get very thirsty, so hydrate before viewing.
When the Game Stands Tall Proves my theory that it's worse when you win.
Guardians of the Galaxy Make a fun adventure movie about space and make a ton of money. Who knew? I mean, besides that Lucas guy.
Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.