RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Which is Worse, Fake or "Real" News? - RightNation.US

-----
Reading this:

“It’s the biggest crisis facing our democracy, the failing business model of real journalism,” Senator Claire McCaskill, Democrat of Missouri and a longtime critic of fake news, told me on Saturday.

Ms. McCaskill said that “journalism is partly to blame” for being slow to adjust as the internet turned its business model upside down and social media opened the competitive floodgates. “Fake news got way out ahead of them,” she said.

It does not augur well for the future. Martin Baron, the Washington Post executive editor, said when we spoke last week, “If you have a society where people can’t agree on basic facts, how do you have a functioning democracy?”

The cure for fake journalism is an overwhelming dose of good journalism. And how well the news media gets through its postelection hangover will have a lot to do with how the next chapter in the American political story is told.

Reminded me of this...

Briefly stated, the Gell-Mann Amnesia effect is as follows. You open the newspaper to an article on some subject you know well. In Murray’s case, physics. In mine, show business. You read the article and see the journalist has absolutely no understanding of either the facts or the issues. Often, the article is so wrong it actually presents the story backward—reversing cause and effect. I call these the “wet streets cause rain” stories. Paper’s full of them.

In any case, you read with exasperation or amusement the multiple errors in a story, and then turn the page to national or international affairs, and read as if the rest of the newspaper was somehow more accurate about Palestine than the baloney you just read. You turn the page, and forget what you know.

The liberal media literally sees reporting as narrative just as we discussed last week. The phrase "how the American political story is told" should be enough to prove how they see it. It's straight up propaganda, yet they see "fake news" as the problem.

I don't like the fake news sites either. As a historian, I get irritated when I see people I like a respect posting nonsense from these sites. But I get even more irritated when supposedly legitimate news outlets get their facts wrong. Or, even worse, try to disguise punditry as news. They have a million ways to manipulate opinion, and they use all of them all the time. It's a 24/7 all out barrage on our minds. Yet, we're supposed to see fake news as the threat to democracy?

If I were a print reporter, I'd keep that fact to myself at this point. They should see losing their jobs as a plea bargain.

My Mind is Clean

2 Comments On This Entry

I'm still struggling with what we're calling "fake news". Onion-ish "Parody" news? National Enquirer-ish "An alien ate my baby" news? Half-truths that have so much spin they're really propaganda? (This last is my own pet peeve. I am mindful that half a truth is also half a lie.)(And I totally agree with, "even worse, try to disguise punditry as news.")

Or...?

Adam Smithee, on 21 November 2016 - 05:05 PM, said:

I'm still struggling with what we're calling "fake news". Onion-ish "Parody" news? National Enquirer-ish "An alien ate my baby" news? Half-truths that have so much spin they're really propaganda? (This last is my own pet peeve. I am mindful that half a truth is also half a lie.)(And I totally agree with, "even worse, try to disguise punditry as news.") Or...?

On the right, you have sites like Viralliberty and the Conservative Tree House. A dozen others. On the left, it's AddictingInfo and OccupyDemocrats. And the Washington Post. And the New York Times.
Page 1 of 1

9 user(s) viewing

9 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

New Blogroll! And...World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Blog Roll
Ace of Spades
National Review
Got News
RealClearPolitics
ZeroHedge
The Federalist
African American Conservatives
Instapundit

World's Shortest Movie Reviews
American Sniper: Bradly Cooper=Best Actor
The Arroyo: Had a Pureflix feel to the acting, but well shot. Great conservative movie.
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: As usual, the third installment is the best--having an ending really helped.
The Maze Runner: The perfect metaphor for moving to Detroit.
Dumb and Dumber To: More jokes. Cruder jokes. Someone gets hooked on crack.
Snowpiercer: Joe Biden's idea of heaven. Everyone on the Earth living on a train. Captain America admits he was going to eat Billy Elliot.
Hunger Games: Catching Fire: This is what the world would look like without college football.
Interstellar 2001:A Space Odyssey with a soul. You will get very thirsty, so hydrate before viewing.
When the Game Stands Tall Proves my theory that it's worse when you win.
Guardians of the Galaxy Make a fun adventure movie about space and make a ton of money. Who knew? I mean, besides that Lucas guy.
Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.