RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Richard Spencer and the Alt-Right - RightNation.US

-----
The whole Richard Spencer hubub illustrates why ideological clarity and rhetorical discipline are more important now than ever. Back in 2012, when the media was predictably smearing Mitt Romney as a racist, I wrote the following:

Imagine you wake up to the headline: "Right Wing Hate Group Attacks Minorities in Compton". You read the story, and according to the report, a group of neo-Nazis planned an excursion into a well known black neighborhood and instigated a fight with young black men. Apparently, the Nazi group had been training for years in mixed martial arts and had several professionally trained security experts on hand to make sure it didn't turn into a gun fight. The neo-Nazi fighters hospitalized over a dozen young black men and got away before the police could arrive.

Now, as you can imagine, the media is in hog heaven. Their narrative about race and the "right" have come true before our very eyes. There's no denying anymore that right wing Christian hate groups are as big a threat to public safety as Islamic terror groups.

The victims are interviewed and their backgrounds become known to the public. Many have checkered pasts and more than a few are gang members. Politicians and celebrities get behind the young men, and any negative aspect about their pasts are quickly shouted down. The young men become symbols of the racial divide in America. They become heroes to the left and many centrists as well.

How does the right deal with this? If the typical pattern plays out, a sizable portion will take the race bait and focus on the fact that many of the young men who were beaten deserved it. When the white men are finally caught, it will be asserted that their civil liberties have been violated, and it turns out that by all accounts, they were. Many on the right will go through conflicting media and police reports with a fine toothed comb and seize upon any inconsistency in the media narrative to prove that the white men were not as much to blame as people think. No one but fellow Nazis will outright defend the white men, but the minutiae of the incident and eventual court case will overwhelm the conversation.

Others on the right will keep strangely quiet or at most, nod their agreement to most of what the liberal media says. A few will speak the truth and be ignored. The radical left's dream will have come true. The race war every radical from Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dorn to Charles Manson have been longing for will finally be here.

Why?

Because ideology didn't matter to you. You were above mere ideology and considered yourself a "pragmatist" concerned only with what "works". To you, ideology is synonymous with partisanship, and you can't stand partisan divisiveness. That's how the other party rolls, and you could never vote for someone from that party as a result. Or, you're a Christian, and politics and ideologies are stumbling blocks to living for the Lord. Who cares about that stuff? God certainly doesn't.

Yet, here you are confused. You're not a racist, but... And we all know that sentences that begin with "I'm not a racist, but..." end with a reason or two as to why you're a racist. You can't quite go along with those politicians and celebrities who are trying to milk this thing for all it's worth, yet you can't side with Nazis, either.

If you're a Christian, you can probably get away with chalking it all up to the end of days or some other sign of the impending eschaton. You'll still be confused, but that's okay because it's not important anyway. If you're a self-styled pragmatist, the confusion is probably going to cause you to break hard one way or another. You'll either abandon your rightward leanings or more fully embrace your racist ones. You want to be on a side but don't even know it. At the very least, you'll keep your mouth shut while resentments fester inside you.

What, then, is the "truth" I mentioned earlier?

The truth is, the Nazis and neo-Nazis are left-wing groups. In this nightmare scenario, a radical left-wing group attacks a group of black men. That's where the discussion should end. They should be locked up for however long people get locked up for assault and battery, or attempted murder if that's the case. All discussions about the political implications should end the moment someone asserts that they were a "right-wing" hate group. No one should ever be allowed to get away with that because that's what really matters.

We can sit here all day and pooh pooh the idea that we should be protective of ideological labels. But when something like this goes down, you're going to wish for clarity, and it won't be there because too many didn't take it seriously enough.

_________

There's an impulse among some on the Right, call them "alt" whatever, to maintain an alliance with idiots like Spencer because White Nationalism is in the interest of right-wing goals. Those who hold this position haven't been paying attention to how Neo-Nazis are always used. They aren't a real threat to our republic despite the meida's insistence that they're the greatest threat. But they are a real threat to the Right because the only harm they can do is to the Right's message.

It works like this: Communists can openly move about in society and be a part of left-wing movements. They can teach, write, entertain, publish, report, and even serve in government. Nazis and white nationalists can't. Therefore, Nazis can't do anything but serve as a rhetorical weapon for the left against the right. That's it.

So, "Alt-Right", if it means anything close to Nazi, is a term of confusion. Don't accept it. Don't be smeared with it. "Right" in America has nothing in common with Nazism, fascism, or communism. "Hard Right" simply means "really, really pro-life, liberty, and property." It doesn't mean playing the left's rhetorical games nor does it mean accepting their premises.

No matter how you slice it, we're going to have to constantly clarify because the left is going to constantly confuse.

My Mind is Clean

2 Comments On This Entry

Because ideology didn't matter to you. You were above mere ideology and considered yourself a "pragmatist" concerned only with what "works". To you, ideology is synonymous with partisanship, and you can't stand partisan divisiveness. That's how the other party rolls, and you could never vote for someone from that party as a result. Or, you're a Christian, and politics and ideologies are stumbling blocks to living for the Lord. Who cares about that stuff? God certainly doesn't.

Yet, here you are confused. You're not a racist, but... And we all know that sentences that begin with "I'm not a racist, but..." end with a reason or two as to why you're a racist. You can't quite go along with those politicians and celebrities who are trying to milk this thing for all it's worth, yet you can't side with Nazis, either.

If you're a Christian, you can probably get away with chalking it all up to the end of days or some other sign of the impending eschaton. You'll still be confused, but that's okay because it's not important anyway. If you're a self-styled pragmatist, the confusion is probably going to cause you to break hard one way or another. You'll either abandon your rightward leanings or more fully embrace your racist ones. You want to be on a side but don't even know it. At the very least, you'll keep your mouth shut while resentments fester inside you.

Go back 20/30/40 years and that was ME in a nutshell.

Ecclesiastes 1:9: What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Seems to me that 'Alt-Right' is just v2.0 of what people like Hal Lindsey and J Vernon McGee were peddling back in the '60s and '70s.

Word to a friend: DON'T get caught up in it as I once did. It is enticing. It is alluring. They seem to have ALL the answers... except have never been able to produce "results" except in their Cayman Island bank accounts.

Adam Smithee, on 23 November 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

Because ideology didn't matter to you. You were above mere ideology and considered yourself a "pragmatist" concerned only with what "works". To you, ideology is synonymous with partisanship, and you can't stand partisan divisiveness. That's how the other party rolls, and you could never vote for someone from that party as a result. Or, you're a Christian, and politics and ideologies are stumbling blocks to living for the Lord. Who cares about that stuff? God certainly doesn't.Yet, here you are confused. You're not a racist, but... And we all know that sentences that begin with "I'm not a racist, but..." end with a reason or two as to why you're a racist. You can't quite go along with those politicians and celebrities who are trying to milk this thing for all it's worth, yet you can't side with Nazis, either.If you're a Christian, you can probably get away with chalking it all up to the end of days or some other sign of the impending eschaton. You'll still be confused, but that's okay because it's not important anyway. If you're a self-styled pragmatist, the confusion is probably going to cause you to break hard one way or another. You'll either abandon your rightward leanings or more fully embrace your racist ones. You want to be on a side but don't even know it. At the very least, you'll keep your mouth shut while resentments fester inside you.
Go back 20/30/40 years and that was ME in a nutshell. Ecclesiastes 1:9: What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.Seems to me that 'Alt-Right' is just v2.0 of what people like Hal Lindsey and J Vernon McGee were peddling back in the '60s and '70s. Word to a friend: DON'T get caught up in it as I once did. It is enticing. It is alluring. They seem to have ALL the answers... except have never been able to produce "results" except in their Cayman Island bank accounts.

J Vernon McGee had some redeeming points. Dude said ALOT of stuff. Some of it was bound to be goofy.

I think the most attractive part of the Alt-Right is it's focus on winning. When people get so sick of losing, they start looking around. In my football world, I've had to stand there and watch play callers start chucking the ball if one run play doesn't work. This year I called the plays, and instead of throwing the ball like a spaz, I designed a very unpredictable running game. We won as a result. The Right doesn't need to spaz out and embrace white nationalists, but it does need to become more unpredictable.
Page 1 of 1

11 user(s) viewing

11 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

New Blogroll! And...World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Blog Roll
Ace of Spades
National Review
Got News
RealClearPolitics
ZeroHedge
The Federalist
African American Conservatives
Instapundit

World's Shortest Movie Reviews
American Sniper: Bradly Cooper=Best Actor
The Arroyo: Had a Pureflix feel to the acting, but well shot. Great conservative movie.
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: As usual, the third installment is the best--having an ending really helped.
The Maze Runner: The perfect metaphor for moving to Detroit.
Dumb and Dumber To: More jokes. Cruder jokes. Someone gets hooked on crack.
Snowpiercer: Joe Biden's idea of heaven. Everyone on the Earth living on a train. Captain America admits he was going to eat Billy Elliot.
Hunger Games: Catching Fire: This is what the world would look like without college football.
Interstellar 2001:A Space Odyssey with a soul. You will get very thirsty, so hydrate before viewing.
When the Game Stands Tall Proves my theory that it's worse when you win.
Guardians of the Galaxy Make a fun adventure movie about space and make a ton of money. Who knew? I mean, besides that Lucas guy.
Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.