RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Battlebots "It's Robot Fighting Time" again - RightNation.US

Battlebots "It's Robot Fighting Time" again Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:23 PM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 18 June 2019 - 12:21 PM, said:

I watch it every now and then and would probably do it more often but my wife gives me static over how she can't believe I'm watching something so "silly," in hopes I'll quit and she can put on "90 Day Dance Moms" or whatever such highbrow and not-at-all-silly entertainment she wants to see using our cable's On Demand feature.

Fortunately, there's no such conflict in my home: My girlfriend loves Battlebots as much as I do. Ninja Warriors too, for that matter. In fact, Ninja W was on last night, and she was sorry she couldn't be here to watch it with me.

B)

#22 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:25 PM

View PostBubbajoebob, on 18 June 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

If I had cable I'd watch it. I was living in the UK when they started Robot Wars, the show the American Battlebots was based on. I watched it all the time. Some Robot Wars episodes are on Youtube if you'd like to compare.

I also like the British Scrapheap Challenge and it's American copy Junkyard Wars where they'd get teams of tinkerers (mechanics, engineers, etc.), give them a challenge (build an amphibious car to race, build something to knock down a brick wall, etc.), set them loose in a junk yard with a time limit, and then compete when they were done.

I LOVED Junkyard Wars. But if it's still on American TV anywhere, I haven't found it. I really miss that show.

B)

#23 User is offline   Bubbajoebob 

• M dwarf stars
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 03:39 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 18 June 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

I LOVED Junkyard Wars. But if it's still on American TV anywhere, I haven't found it. I really miss that show.

It ended in 2009, so it's just reruns and Youtube videos now.

#24 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:24 PM

View PostBubbajoebob, on 18 June 2019 - 03:39 PM, said:

It ended in 2009, so it's just reruns and Youtube videos now.

Rats. That was a great show. Some of those teams were brilliant and some of those contraptions were genius.

Not always, of course. But even when some sloppily-designed & sloppily-built thing crashed & burned, it could still be very entertaining, LOL.

B)

#25 User is online   Oathtaker 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:32 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 17 June 2019 - 06:28 PM, said:

I had some friends a few years ago who insisted they were going to make a battlebot. They had plans all drawn up to cut off the front section of a rotary lawn mower, then add some sort of "radio-controlled" drive and steering contraption. They got all offended when I laughed, but I notice they never finished the project.

:whistling:

We had plans drawn up and some of the materials secured.

The “robot” was going to be a mass driver.

Think 10 manhole kids stacked on each other neatly. It would've weighed a little over half a ton.

Had two AGM batteries for power and a stepped down washing machine motor to drive it.

Had the manhole lids too...

Giant metal hockey puck.

#26 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:41 PM

View PostOathtaker, on 18 June 2019 - 04:32 PM, said:

We had plans drawn up and some of the materials secured.

The “robot” was going to be a mass driver.

Think 10 manhole kids stacked on each other neatly. It would've weighed a little over half a ton.

Had two AGM batteries for power and a stepped down washing machine motor to drive it.

Had the manhole lids too...

Giant metal hockey puck.

Would a washing machine motor have enough power to drive something that massively heavy? I mean, I've broken washing machines just by putting too many jeans in a load.

B)

#27 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:41 PM

View PostBubbajoebob, on 18 June 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

If I had cable I'd watch it. I was living in the UK when they started Robot Wars, the show the American Battlebots was based on. I watched it all the time. Some Robot Wars episodes are on Youtube if you'd like to compare.

I also like the British Scrapheap Challenge and it's American copy Junkyard Wars where they'd get teams of tinkerers (mechanics, engineers, etc.), give them a challenge (build an amphibious car to race, build something to knock down a brick wall, etc.), set them loose in a junk yard with a time limit, and then compete when they were done.

We loved the British Scrapheap Challenge (and then Junkyard Wars.) I learned a lot about physics watching that show.

#28 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:31 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 18 June 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

Would a washing machine motor have enough power to drive something that massively heavy? I mean, I've broken washing machines just by putting too many jeans in a load.

B)

Depends on the load in your jeans I guess...

#29 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:02 PM

View PostSeverian, on 18 June 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

Depends on the load in your jeans I guess...

:eyebrows:

#30 User is offline   Mrdirt73 

• Not everyone gets to be an astronaut when they grow up.
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 19 June 2019 - 08:45 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 17 June 2019 - 02:29 PM, said:

I'd put a stop to THAT right away, LOL, if I was you. Our (now-6-yr-old) grandson apparently grew up under the impression the TV remote was his. It was only very recently that Grampa (me) had to sit him down and firmly explain: "That's Grampa's, not yours. I might SOMETIMES let you use it IF you ASK politely first, but you NEVER, EVER just grab it and start pushing buttons. Grampa will be VERY angry if you do that. Do you understand?"

He did understand. He handed it back very quickly and quietly. He's such a GOOD kid.

:yes:

It's more a matter of IF we are watching TV, we are watching something for him. Usually Disney JR before bed. After he's in bed, I just don't feel like staying up to watch something on TV.

#31 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 19 June 2019 - 10:53 AM

View PostMrdirt73, on 19 June 2019 - 08:45 AM, said:

It's more a matter of IF we are watching TV, we are watching something for him. Usually Disney JR before bed. After he's in bed, I just don't feel like staying up to watch something on TV.

Ah, I see. Yeah, we spend some of the time while the grandson is here watching shows he likes (Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol, PJ Masks, etc.) But we don't let him dominate. He picks a show, then I pick a show, then Grammaw (my girlfriend) picks a show, then it's his turn again.

B)

#32 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 28 June 2019 - 11:34 PM

Hey Wags - Still watching Battlebots? Are you watching tonight's installment? I hope you caught tonight's very first match, because I recall that you liked Duck and Duck was in tonight's first match.

All through the match I felt bad for you, because Duck was losing miserably; Bashed, smashed, crashed & trashed from beginning to end (by Cobalt.) He never stood a chance...........

........until suddenly, near the very end, Cobalt lost power. Or at least, lost mobility. Just sat there unable to move. And as you no doubt know, when that happens the referees start counting down from ten and if the team can't get the bot moving again after ten seconds, they lose the match by default. Like a technical knockout in boxing.

So after getting whipped like a rented mule throughout the entire contest, Duck was declared the winner! Hooray! My girlfriend is just as big a battlebot fan as I am, and I wish you could've heard her cheering, LOL.

B)

#33 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 29 June 2019 - 07:23 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 28 June 2019 - 11:34 PM, said:

Hey Wags - Still watching Battlebots? Are you watching tonight's installment?

Yup. I liked the post match interview with Duck's creator. And yeah, that was an incredible match. (Last week's matches were, well, weak.)
And Tombstone's "owner" just likes to play the part of the villain. My husband said, "like him or hate him, he has the coolest way into the stadium," or something like that. I said, "yes. His 'carrier' looks like a tractor. Everyone else comes into the arena on a pushmower type vehicle, or like they're carting in luggage. But Tombstone's mode of transportation is SiFi awesome."

Actually, last night had some great fights. My youngest son is here for the summer, and he said, "why do you think some people still go with the crusher or hammer bots when they are obviously not the best designs?" And we couldn't say why. It seems so silly to base your winning or losing on whether or not you'll be able to maneuver into just the right spot so you can bash, crush, or sink a tooth in an opponent when a horizontal spinner just needs to get near to his victim to take him out. Right?

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 29 June 2019 - 07:27 AM

#34 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 29 June 2019 - 09:18 AM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 29 June 2019 - 07:23 AM, said:

My youngest son is here for the summer, and he said, "why do you think some people still go with the crusher or hammer bots when they are obviously not the best designs?" And we couldn't say why. It seems so silly to base your winning or losing on whether or not you'll be able to maneuver into just the right spot so you can bash, crush, or sink a tooth in an opponent when a horizontal spinner just needs to get near to his victim to take him out. Right?

Exactly. I've said the same thing a hundred times. Just get anywhere near the enemy with a heavy horizontal spinning blade and POW, you can't miss. Vertical blades aren't as good, but at least they're better than hammers & flamethrowers, where you have to be perfectly lined up to hit anything.

B)

#35 User is online   Oathtaker 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 29 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 18 June 2019 - 04:41 PM, said:

B)

We had a planetary reduction drive to overcome the weight vs torque issue. https://en.m.wikiped...icyclic_gearing

One of the guys swore he could design the drive system to use the motor as the brake that would send a small recharge current to the batteries; like a hybrid car does.

It wouldn’t be super fast like the small ones but the mass would effectively use any type of spinning weapons against the other robot deploying them.

We’d basically try to crush the other robots.

#36 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 29 June 2019 - 12:53 PM

View PostOathtaker, on 29 June 2019 - 10:41 AM, said:

We had a planetary reduction drive to overcome the weight vs torque issue. https://en.m.wikiped...icyclic_gearing

One of the guys swore he could design the drive system to use the motor as the brake that would send a small recharge current to the batteries; like a hybrid car does.

It wouldn’t be super fast like the small ones but the mass would effectively use any type of spinning weapons against the other robot deploying them.

We’d basically try to crush the other robots.

Well I can't pretend to know anything about stuff like "planetary reduction drives", but if you could make such a huge, heavy contraption maneuverable, it'd be damn difficult to stop.

:coolshades:

#37 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:00 PM

Delete.

This post has been edited by Ben Cranklin: 20 July 2019 - 07:11 AM

#38 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 19 July 2019 - 09:57 PM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 19 July 2019 - 09:00 PM, said:

MAN!!! Tombstone just got knocked out by a robot that was just 1-1 before the fight!

Huh? Aw man, what time-zone are you in? Don't you believe in spoiler alerts?? The show starts here in four minutes.

:spank: :hairpull: :crybaby:

#39 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon

Posted 20 July 2019 - 07:11 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 19 July 2019 - 09:57 PM, said:

Huh? Aw man, what time-zone are you in? Don't you believe in spoiler alerts?? The show starts here in four minutes.

:spank: :hairpull: :crybaby:

Oh, God, I'm so sorry! I was so excited by what I'd just seen and so used to live broadcast competitions like UFC fight nights that it completely slipped my mind this was a tape delay show.

I really feel terrible. It was such a thrilling sight and I robbed you of it. I honestly wish with everything in me that I could take that posting back.

#40 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 20 July 2019 - 11:29 AM

View PostBen Cranklin, on 20 July 2019 - 07:11 AM, said:

Oh, God, I'm so sorry! I was so excited by what I'd just seen and so used to live broadcast competitions like UFC fight nights that it completely slipped my mind this was a tape delay show.

I really feel terrible. It was such a thrilling sight and I robbed you of it. I honestly wish with everything in me that I could take that posting back.

Oh well, LOL, it's just a TV show. I forgive ya. And in any case, some of the other matches were good. But I think "Blacksmith" got robbed.

B)

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users