RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Canadian police chief hands out $575 ticket to driver - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Canadian police chief hands out $575 ticket to driver who threw lit cigarette out of car Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 14 June 2019 - 07:38 AM

Canadian police chief hands out $575 ticket to driver who threw lit cigarette out of car
By FOX 13 News staff
Posted Jun 12 2019 11:27AM EDT
Updated Jun 13 2019 09:37AM EDT
<More Here>

VICTORIA, British Columbia (FOX 13) - A police chief in Canada said he issued a pricey ticket to a driver who threw a lit cigarette out of his car window.

Victoria Police Chief Del Manak posted a photo of the $575 ticket after he said he witnessed the driver tossing the cigarette out of his vehicle on a highway in the city of Saanich.

The ticket was for a violation of British Columbia's Wildfire Act, which calls for stiff penalties for those who could potentially start a wildfire. In this instance, the law calls for a $575 fine for failing to extinguish a fire.

Manak tweeted, "575 reasons not to throw your lit cigarette out the car window."

When he asked the driver why he did it, Manak said the driver replied, "I didn't want my car to burn."

"Then don't smoke in your car," the police chief replied, according to his tweet.

Saanich Fire Chief Dan Wood thanked Manak for issuing the ticket, replying, "A strong message and $ouch will certainly have this driver rethinking options for safely disposing lit cigarettes."

(snip)

<More Here>

#2 User is offline   Martin 

• <no title>

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:26 AM

Many more smokers are throwing lit cigarette butts out of their car windows because cars no longer come with ashtrays. You can buy an ashtray which fits in a beverage slot (be careful to remember which cup contains your coffee) but it's easier just to throw the lit cigarette out the window than provide yourself with an aftermarket ashtray.

#3 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 14 June 2019 - 08:38 AM

Yes, one reason people do that (as Martin explained above) is that cars no longer have ashtrays. Another is because people no longer have anywhere they CAN smoke EXCEPT in their cars. For example there's no smoking allowed anywhere on the property here where I live, including your own apartment. You can't even smoke sitting in your car in the parking lot. You must drive it off the property. And of course there's no smoking in any bars or restaurants or whatever. So people drive around purely for the purpose of smoking a cigarette.

Way back when we used to have "smoking ban" threads here at RN, I predicted these problems MANY times (wildfires from cig butts tossed out of cars, sidewalks littered with butts, etc.) Pass unreasonable laws, suffer unpleasant consequences.

B)

#4 User is offline   MTP Reggie 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:45 AM

C'mon... It's C$575.00. What is that...?

$5.19 USD?

View PostMontyPython, on 14 June 2019 - 08:38 AM, said:

Yes, one reason people do that (as Martin explained above) is that cars no longer have ashtrays. Another is because people no longer have anywhere they CAN smoke EXCEPT in their cars. For example there's no smoking allowed anywhere on the property here where I live, including your own apartment. You can't even smoke sitting in your car in the parking lot. You must drive it off the property. And of course there's no smoking in any bars or restaurants or whatever. So people drive around purely for the purpose of smoking a cigarette.

Way back when we used to have "smoking ban" threads here at RN, I predicted these problems MANY times (wildfires from cig butts tossed out of cars, sidewalks littered with butts, etc.) Pass unreasonable laws, suffer unpleasant consequences.

B)

The older helicopters I used to fly had ashtrays (Hueys, Cobras).

#5 User is offline   oki 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 14 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 14 June 2019 - 08:38 AM, said:

B)

I do remember that. I am still of the belief that it should be up to business owners and not allowing people to smoke in their own homes is going to far. If city Governments are so damn worried about 2nd or 3rd hand effects of things then they should start by looking at them selves.

IE city owned vehicles that would never pass a smog or safety check.
IE cities that don't even follow county, state or federal laws in regards to disposal or storage of chemicals.
IE cities that don't even follow code in regards to hazardous waste storage or hazardous materials in buildings.

More often than not these dumb f'rs only even bother to enforce this crap in areas where people can or will pay the fines in the first place. Willing to bet they don't even bother to try and enforce this crap in certain areas where the majority of the ethnic background is X or X. Ironic(or Oxymoronic) that these same types will support lifestyles and life choices which are just as dangerous but be damned if they will let people have a freaken' cigarette in peace on their own property.

Oki

View PostMTP Reggie, on 14 June 2019 - 09:45 AM, said:

C'mon... It's C$575.00. What is that...?

$5.19 USD?

The older helicopters I used to fly had ashtrays (Hueys, Cobras).

Do gotta' wonder if the fine can be paid in Maple Syrup....
:nanner:

Oki

#6 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 14 June 2019 - 10:16 AM

A still-burning cigarette butt is an incendiary device. Full disclosure: I am all for crackdowns on any person who tosses ANY litter out of their car.
And if your car doesn't have an ashtray, figure out a way to MacGyver one in there. (Spell check says it's McGovern, not MacGyver, but I don't think George had any idea how to resolve this.)

As a person whose hub was a firefighter and who lived in an area that experienced HUGE wild fires often (Thank you stupid governmental policies.) I have no sympathy for anyone chucking a lit butt out of his/her car window.

#7 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:08 AM

A few weeks ago the smoke from the wild fires in BC reached across the lake into NY.
https://www.cbc.ca/n...ta-bc-1.5156233

Anyone throwing lit cigarettes out the window should face a stiff fine.

#8 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:18 AM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 14 June 2019 - 10:16 AM, said:

A still-burning cigarette butt is an incendiary device. Full disclosure: I am all for crackdowns on any person who tosses ANY litter out of their car.
And if your car doesn't have an ashtray, figure out a way to MacGyver one in there. (Spell check says it's McGovern, not MacGyver, but I don't think George had any idea how to resolve this.)

As a person whose hub was a firefighter and who lived in an area that experienced HUGE wild fires often (Thank you stupid governmental policies.) I have no sympathy for anyone chucking a lit butt out of his/her car window.

I am a freedom guy and am pretty tolerant of smoking. However, like you said, a lit cigarette is an incendiary device and forest fires are dangerous and expensive. Last year, (And Monty should no doubt remember this.) there was an out of control fire in BC that effected the air quality within hundreds of miles for months. I can understand high fines especially this time a year.

You don't have an ashtray in your car, put a half-full water bottle in the cupholder that replaced it and put your butts in there. The good part is after you smell that thing a few times, you might rethink smoking.

This post has been edited by Magic Rat: 14 June 2019 - 11:19 AM

#9 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:28 AM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 14 June 2019 - 10:16 AM, said:

I think perhaps I should clarify my earlier comment: I didn't mean to suggest tossing a lit cigarette from a car is "OK". I merely said it was inevitable. When you take away ALL places a person can smoke EXCEPT their car, AND you take ashtrays OUT of cars, there's just no denying it's inevitable that incidents of lit cigs tossed from cars will drastically increase.

That's not the same thing as saying it's OK to toss lit cigs out of cars.

B)

#10 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:30 AM

View PostMagic Rat, on 14 June 2019 - 11:18 AM, said:

I am a freedom guy and am pretty tolerant of smoking. However, like you said, a lit cigarette is an incendiary device and forest fires are dangerous and expensive. Last year, (And Monty should no doubt remember this.) there was an out of control fire in BC that effected the air quality within hundreds of miles for months. I can understand high fines especially this time a year.

You don't have an ashtray in your car, put a half-full water bottle in the cupholder that replaced it and put your butts in there. The good part is after you smell that thing a few times, you might rethink smoking.

I do indeed remember. It was awful. And it just made me despise the "smoking bans" even more than I already did. I'm sure those laws are directly responsible for many wildfires.

B)

#11 User is offline   Squirrel 

• <no title>

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:31 AM

Iím a smoker and fed up with all the smoking laws. You canít smoke in a dog park where I live now or out side at all that being said I smoke in my car. I bought some ashtray thing with a lid and charcoal filter and fan. Itís rare the wife rides in my car or truck because smoke bothers her so we normally take her car. Iím against smoking bans but I feel this was right. To argue it whatís the difference then from someone just driving and randomly lighting stick matches and throwing them out the window?

#12 User is offline   Magic Rat 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:36 AM

View PostMontyPython, on 14 June 2019 - 11:30 AM, said:

I do indeed remember. It was awful. And it just made me despise the "smoking bans" even more than I already did. I'm sure those laws are directly responsible for many wildfires.

B)

I am sure that that it could be a consequence but people who litter out their car window are likely to do that whether there's a smoking ban or not. A responsible person will find a way to smoke his Winston and be able to dispose of the butt without littering. A cigarette butt is more dangerous, but these jerks don't care if fires or started or old Pampers lie on the side of the highway.

#13 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:47 AM

View PostMagic Rat, on 14 June 2019 - 11:36 AM, said:

I am sure that that it could be a consequence but people who litter out their car window are likely to do that whether there's a smoking ban or not. A responsible person will find a way to smoke his Winston and be able to dispose of the butt without littering. A cigarette butt is more dangerous, but these jerks don't care if fires or started or old Pampers lie on the side of the highway.

Agreed, but my point stands: When you force smokers into cars because they've been left with nowhere else to smoke, the incidents of tossed butts will certainly increase. It's simply inevitable. It's not "OK", but it will certainly happen.

Back when my girlfriend and I still smoked, we made sure to keep an ashtray in the car. There's no way were gonna toss cigarette butts out the window. But not everybody's as responsible and considerate as we are.

And edited to add: Fact is we still keep that ashtray in the car. We no longer use it, but sometimes we have a passenger who smokes. The smoke doesn't bother us at all, and we don't want them tossing butts out the window. So there will always be an ashtray in our car even though we don't smoke. It's beyond stupid that cars no longer come equipped with ashtrays. Just because the car has an ashtray, it doesn't mean anybody "has" to use it.

B)

This post has been edited by MontyPython: 14 June 2019 - 11:51 AM

#14 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:52 AM

View PostSquirrel, on 14 June 2019 - 11:31 AM, said:

Iím a smoker and fed up with all the smoking laws. You canít smoke in a dog park where I live now or out side at all that being said I smoke in my car. I bought some ashtray thing with a lid and charcoal filter and fan. Itís rare the wife rides in my car or truck because smoke bothers her so we normally take her car. Iím against smoking bans but I feel this was right. To argue it whatís the difference then from someone just driving and randomly lighting stick matches and throwing them out the window?

Made by Peltzer?

#15 User is offline   Squirrel 

• <no title>

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:17 PM

View PostLadybird, on 14 June 2019 - 11:52 AM, said:

Made by Peltzer?

No clue I just know it works enough my wife complains a little less then normal about the smell. Which is almost always . But she says itís helped. Itís white fits in the coffee cup holder. Has a fan to pull the smoke inside and a lid you shut when you arenít using it. 35 yrs of smoking I canít smell anything but she says it works. I quit smoking for 3 weeks last yr on week 2 I was yep these cars do stink. I detailed my truck and it was ok. My car has leather seats and I think they will permanently smell. But I started smoking again so all good for me

This post has been edited by Squirrel: 14 June 2019 - 12:19 PM

#16 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:00 AM

View PostMartin, on 14 June 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

Many more smokers are throwing lit cigarette butts out of their car windows because cars no longer come with ashtrays. You can buy an ashtray which fits in a beverage slot (be careful to remember which cup contains your coffee) but it's easier just to throw the lit cigarette out the window than provide yourself with an aftermarket ashtray.

That's because smoking is evil now, so you aren't allowed to do it. That's been the decree for ages from the social justice warriors out there.

#17 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery

Posted 15 June 2019 - 09:03 AM

View PostLadybird, on 14 June 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

A few weeks ago the smoke from the wild fires in BC reached across the lake into NY.
https://www.cbc.ca/n...ta-bc-1.5156233

Anyone throwing lit cigarettes out the window should face a stiff fine.

Illegal aliens cause a lot of wild fires when they cook their food and what not, you aren't for banning them from entering the US. Wonder why that is?
https://www.eurasiar...n-arizona-oped/
https://newspunch.co...lifornia-fires/
Apparently they are starting the fires American's wont start.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users