RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Any Bauhaus fans here? - RightNation.US

Any Bauhaus fans here? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead
  • Group: Silver

Posted 26 February 2020 - 04:59 PM

Iím a huge fan!!

Saw them in 2005 when they reunited. And have seen the band members in various iterations over the years.

Saw David J solo several times. Even have a signed guitar by him.

Saw Pop Tones.

And recently saw Peter Murphyís bauhaus tribute tour.

Well, they are doing another reunion tour and Iíve purchased tickets to their Atlanta show in September.

Great band. Pretty excited about it.

And yes, I know most have never heard of them. But they have been a very influential band for a lot of bands out of the 90ís. There is even a music video from Chicago where Peter Cetera is wearing a Bauhaus t-shirt.

#2 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:50 PM

I thought this was going to be an Industrial Design thread. :(

Form Follows Function.

#3 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 26 February 2020 - 06:12 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 26 February 2020 - 05:50 PM, said:

I thought this was going to be an Industrial Design thread. :(

Form Follows Function.

Me too! :lol: Are we dating ourselves? :P

#4 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:31 PM

View PostLiz, on 26 February 2020 - 06:12 PM, said:

Me too! :lol: Are we dating ourselves? :P

Same here!

#5 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 26 February 2020 - 07:58 PM

Only while sipping gin & tonics at a dark club in the east village. Otherwise not really my thing.

#6 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:00 AM

The goth kids were into Bauhaus. The local record store made sure to stock albums in the "imports" section where they charged twice as much for American prints. Vinyl only, no cassettes. Otherwise, most kids in school learned about them after Peter Murphy left and they reformed as Love and Rockets. People tend to skip Tones on Tail if they aren't fans or just casual listeners. I would watch 120 Minutes on MTV religiously. Dang, I wish I still had those old VHS recordings.

#7 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 27 February 2020 - 03:46 AM

View Postgravelrash, on 27 February 2020 - 12:00 AM, said:

The goth kids were into Bauhaus. The local record store made sure to stock albums in the "imports" section where they charged twice as much for American prints. Vinyl only, no cassettes. Otherwise, most kids in school learned about them after Peter Murphy left and they reformed as Love and Rockets. People tend to skip Tones on Tail if they aren't fans or just casual listeners. I would watch 120 Minutes on MTV religiously. Dang, I wish I still had those old VHS recordings.

I liked Murphyís solo stuff. But it has not aged well. Love and Rockets has aged very well. Still enjoy listening to them. Never got into Tones on Tail, though. Bauhaus is still my favorite.

If you know anything about the band, the relationship between Daniel Ash(guitar player) and Murphy is why they kept breaking up. My guess is that they need the money and decided to get back together. Which is cool by me.

Iím taking my 18 yo daughter to see them. Took her to a David J concert once, so now she gets to see the whole band. Wow, guess that makes me an old goth dad now. Ugh! Undead indeed. ;)

#8 User is offline   Italian Biker 

• <no title>

Posted 27 February 2020 - 12:55 PM

Fan of Bauhaus, Murphy's solo stuff, and Love and Rockets. Ash is such an underrated musician. I've always been a huge Bowie fan also and love the Bauhaus version of Ziggy.

#9 User is offline   gravelrash 

Posted 27 February 2020 - 02:12 PM

View Posterp, on 27 February 2020 - 03:46 AM, said:

I liked Murphyís solo stuff. But it has not aged well. Love and Rockets has aged very well. Still enjoy listening to them. Never got into Tones on Tail, though. Bauhaus is still my favorite.

If you know anything about the band, the relationship between Daniel Ash(guitar player) and Murphy is why they kept breaking up. My guess is that they need the money and decided to get back together. Which is cool by me.

Iím taking my 18 yo daughter to see them. Took her to a David J concert once, so now she gets to see the whole band. Wow, guess that makes me an old goth dad now. Ugh! Undead indeed. ;)

Love and Rockets was my first real exposure. Motorcycle is one of my favorite songs. Everyone knew Bauhaus for Bela Lugosi's Dead mistaking the song for a Brit version of The Misfits. Which said to me that they were poseurs who bought the t-shirts and the stickers but hadn't heard a note of either band's music.

I saw The Church in concert a few times. During one show, Steve Kilbey would end a song with "Now something from Peter Murphy". Then he would curtsy or wave his hand like the queen of England. Murphy has a reputation as an insufferable jackass.

Speaking of The Church, check out Live from Sydney on YouTube. They played a 35 song set! Don't know what year the show was, but Steve Kilbey is in his mid-60s and he rocked it!

Remember going to a Kiss concert with your parents? Yeah, I know what you mean.

#10 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 27 February 2020 - 05:26 PM

No.

Ironic, given as a Brit, I am probably by far the biggest fan on RN of British music of the 80s (at the start of the decade with punk/new wave, ska , New Romantics, 2-tone, indie, and at the end of the decade, the early flowerings of UK dance music, acid house, the indie bands of the 'baggy' scene who essentially were the first wave of the later and wonderful 90s 'Britpop'*). Bauhaus were one of the few UK bands of that decade I never got into. Then or now. And I loved and still love the darker UK music of the late 70s to late 80s, from Gary Numan and early Cure, Joy Division, to the late 80s, be it moody 'synthpop' or jangly indierock.

I SHOULD be into Bauhaus as they are in the same wheelhouse (as you lot might say) more or less than a lot of the above bands I like or love. I should actually logically be the one championing them.

*--musically a misnomer, as all the bands of that 'sound' were clearly indie or rock. However, 'Britpop' (1993-1997 RIP) was a whole cultural scene ie music, film, tv, books, art, fashion.

This post has been edited by scotsman: 27 February 2020 - 05:29 PM

#11 User is offline   gravelrash 

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:46 PM

Ultravox, Spandau Ballet, Roxy Music, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sisters of Mercy, The The...

What pop for "Cool Britannia" are Blur and Trainspotting . Might as well throw in David Bowie's project Tin Machine.

#12 User is offline   gravelrash 

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:52 PM

Oh, and Ab Fab! Which started as the skit "Mother & Daughter" featured on French & Saunders.

#13 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 27 February 2020 - 07:55 PM

I didn't realize The Church, which I can listen to without a drink in my hand, was in the same category Bauhaus and Love & Rockets.

#14 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:33 PM

View Postscotsman, on 27 February 2020 - 05:26 PM, said:

No.

Ironic, given as a Brit, I am probably by far the biggest fan on RN of British music of the 80s (at the start of the decade with punk/new wave, ska , New Romantics, 2-tone, indie, and at the end of the decade, the early flowerings of UK dance music, acid house, the indie bands of the 'baggy' scene who essentially were the first wave of the later and wonderful 90s 'Britpop'*). Bauhaus were one of the few UK bands of that decade I never got into. Then or now. And I loved and still love the darker UK music of the late 70s to late 80s, from Gary Numan and early Cure, Joy Division, to the late 80s, be it moody 'synthpop' or jangly indierock.

I SHOULD be into Bauhaus as they are in the same wheelhouse (as you lot might say) more or less than a lot of the above bands I like or love. I should actually logically be the one championing them.

*--musically a misnomer, as all the bands of that 'sound' were clearly indie or rock. However, 'Britpop' (1993-1997 RIP) was a whole cultural scene ie music, film, tv, books, art, fashion.

Some what gives? Why no love for Bauhaus? They are a great live band, btw.

#15 User is offline   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 27 February 2020 - 08:35 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 27 February 2020 - 07:46 PM, said:

Ultravox, Spandau Ballet, Roxy Music, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sisters of Mercy, The The...

What pop for "Cool Britannia" are Blur and Trainspotting . Might as well throw in David Bowie's project Tin Machine.

Saw Siouxsie and the Banshees at the first lalapoloza is Dallas Tx. They were amazing!! Best perform of the venue.

#16 User is offline   Italian Biker 

• <no title>

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:49 PM

View PostLadybird, on 27 February 2020 - 07:55 PM, said:

I didn't realize The Church, which I can listen to without a drink in my hand, was in the same category Bauhaus and Love & Rockets.

I agree, the Church, was more new wave or alternative rock then goth. Some of the very early stuff by both the Cure, the Cult and Gene Loves Jezebel could be considered goth.

This post has been edited by Italian Biker: 28 February 2020 - 12:50 PM

#17 User is offline   Italian Biker 

• <no title>

Posted 28 February 2020 - 12:55 PM

View Postscotsman, on 27 February 2020 - 05:26 PM, said:

No.

Were you a fan of the Jam, or did you consider yourself to much of a punk purist to like them, or any thing mod?

#18 User is offline   gravelrash 

Posted 28 February 2020 - 06:53 PM

View PostLadybird, on 27 February 2020 - 07:55 PM, said:

The Church is the after-party after a case of Coors Light, smoking Merit Ultimas, playing Zelda, and listening to Bauhaus and L&R all night.

#19 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 29 February 2020 - 08:53 AM

View Postgravelrash, on 27 February 2020 - 07:46 PM, said:

Roxy were more a mix of experimental rock/glam rock, although they hugely influenced the bands you mentioned.

Tin Machine had nothing to do with either Britpop or Cool Britannia. In fact TM was a flop.

THE Britpop/Cool Britannia bands were, working chronologically (takes deep breath):

(1988-93)
Stone Roses
Happy Mondays
Charlatans
Inspiral Carpets
Soup Dragons
The La's
Primal Scream
S' Express (dance/acid)
808 State (dance)
Utah Saints (dance)
The Shamen (dance)

(93-97)
Oasis
Blur
Pulp
Supergrass
Ocean Colour Scene
Manic Street Preachers
Suede
Shed Seven
The Prodigy (dance)
The Seahorses
Echobelly
Elastica
Menswear
Gene
Dodgy
Sleeper
The Bluetones
Cast
Boo Radleys
The Verve
St Etienne
Powder

#20 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:06 AM

te name='Italian Biker' timestamp='1582912513' post='685648807']
Were you a fan of the Jam, or did you consider yourself to much of a punk purist to like them, or any thing mod?
[/quote]

MASSIVE Jam fan. And Paul Weller, whom I have seen so many times I have genuinely lost count. The nearest thing to the Jam is 'From The Jam', which is the band of Jam bassist and punk legend Bruce Foxton. They are brilliant.

I am a mod. Love Mod music, the black American soul that influenced that British mod sound, and I wear mod clothes. I am also a huge fan of 'Northern Soul'.

As I was a child in the punk/new wave days, and didn't get into it until the mid 80s and post punk, and even post-New Romantic, I did and do love punk and mod-revival of the late 70s/80s. Same with classic rock and disco, I love both. I grew up listening to a mix of punk, disco, new wave, new romantio, 80s pop and rock, with of course everything before it, from Sinatra and Dean Martin to Elvis and Chuck Berry to the classic pop and rcck of the 60s and 70s. My parents loved everything from Matt Monro to Status Quo. Also of course, they (and I) love/loved opera and classical music. The first musical scenes I remember getting into were around 1981-82 and New Romantics, with Adam Ant etc (who I saw just before Xmas, brilliant concert), and the 'synth' scene (Gary Numan, OMD, Human League etc), the tail-end of disco and post-punk as well.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users