RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Even Knitters Get Trump Derangement Syndrome - RightNation.US

Even Knitters Get Trump Derangement Syndrome Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:44 PM

Even Knitters Get Trump Derangement Syndrome

Washington Examiner
by Madeline Fry
June 24, 2019 12:58 PM

Excerpt:

Don’t even think about knitting a "Make America Great Again" hat.

The knitting and crocheting website Ravelry has banned support for President Trump and his administration, as of June 23.

We are banning support of Donald Trump and his administration on Ravelry. We cannot provide a space that is inclusive of all and also allow support for open white supremacy. More details: https://t.co/hEyu9LjqXa

— Ravelry (@ravelry) June 23, 2019

“We are banning support of Donald Trump and his administration on Ravelry. We cannot provide a space that is inclusive of all and also allow support for open white supremacy,” it announced in a tweet.

The details of the ban explain that you can’t support Trump in forums on the website, and you certainly can’t share that you’re knitting "MAGA" paraphernalia: “This includes support in the form of forum posts, projects, patterns, profiles, and all other content.”

If Ravelry wants to keep its site apolitical — which would make sense for a community of knitters — why not ban all political endorsements? Why allow such divisions within a community of knitters and crocheters, who presumably chose the hobby as a way to escape the stress of life, not to engage in angry political arguments?

But this isn’t about keeping politics out of a social community. It’s about signaling the virtue of condemning Trump and marginalizing his supporters by silencing their views.

*snip*

Ravelry only minimizes white supremacy by lumping Trump and his entire administration in with its broad claim. The claim that the Trump administration advocates "open white supremacy" is both false and hyperbolic, akin to the claim that Democrats are the "party of death." Maybe the artist whose Facebook account was disabled for equating Trump with the KKK should post her art there instead. There may be fewer knitters doing so after this.

Full Article

#2 User is offline   MontyPython 

• Pull My Finger.....
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:03 PM

The claim that the Trump administration advocates "open white supremacy" is both false and hyperbolic, akin to the claim that Democrats are the "party of death."

Sorry, but that attempted comparison is only half right. It's certainly true any pretense the Trump administration is in any conceivable way pro-white-supremacy is sub-moronic. Only the severely retarded or severely brainwashed could believe anything so stupid.

But it's true the Democrats are the party of death. They've murdered literally millions of innocent babies since Roe vs Wade, and viciously attack anybody who wants to save the babies they're going to murder in the future.

B)

#3 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:44 PM

View PostMontyPython, on 24 June 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

Sorry, but that attempted comparison is only half right. It's certainly true any pretense the Trump administration is in any conceivable way pro-white-supremacy is sub-moronic. Only the severely retarded or severely brainwashed could believe anything so stupid.

But it's true the Democrats are the party of death. They've murdered literally millions of innocent babies since Roe vs Wade, and viciously attack anybody who wants to save the babies they're going to murder in the future.

B)

:exactly:

All democraps are severely retarded, brainwashed and stupid.

Democraps also included the "death panels" in Obamunistcare.

They also make it their goal to defile, inflict harm and death upon all that is innocent and good and they are obsessed with doing just that to children both unborn and born.

#4 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:54 PM

Another hobby of mine is quilting. I start July 5th and finish before Thanksgiving to gift on Christmas. I hope Melania loves her present.

#5 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:45 PM

Maybe the artist whose Facebook account was disabled for equating Trump with the KKK should post her art there instead. There may be fewer knitters doing so after this.

But I thought only conservatives were targeted on FB..

#6 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:53 PM

View PostLadybird, on 24 June 2019 - 02:45 PM, said:

Glib is the word
The word, is the word
It's got groove
It's got meaning

#7 User is offline   SARGE 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:18 PM

:coffeenpc:

You've become so predictable...and boring. :sleep:

#8 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:20 PM

Wow, talk about lack of self-awareness!

“Ravelry writes that the issue is not Right vs. Left, but wrong vs. right: ‘We are definitely not banning conservative politics. Hate groups and intolerance are different from other types of political positions.’”

Because, of course, they are oh so tolerant of every thought except those they deem are wrong and hateful and they alone decide what is right and good. This group also banned anything to do with Christians apparently. Who knew knitters were so insufferable.

#9 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:50 PM

If life were mathematics, you’d be correct: a theorem is disproved by a single example as much as by a complete systematic mathematical proof.

This post has been edited by zurg: 24 June 2019 - 04:50 PM

#10 User is offline   Alexis 

• <no title>

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:53 PM

View PostBootsieBets, on 24 June 2019 - 03:20 PM, said:

Wow, talk about lack of self-awareness!

“Ravelry writes that the issue is not Right vs. Left, but wrong vs. right: ‘We are definitely not banning conservative politics. Hate groups and intolerance are different from other types of political positions.’”

Because, of course, they are oh so tolerant of every thought except those they deem are wrong and hateful and they alone decide what is right and good. This group also banned anything to do with Christians apparently. Who knew knitters were so insufferable.

If killing babies is not "hate" then what is?

#11 User is offline   Gertie Keddle 

• <no title>
  • Group: Platinum

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:21 PM

BookwormRoom has a post about conservatives being dumped from Ravelry for dissing the Lightbringer after the 2008 election.

#12 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:15 PM

These aren't your grandmas or other little old ladies sitting around knitting baby booties for grandkids.

From their About Us page the site appears to be created by and run by millenials. And probably FOR millenials. And in Boston. Should I really expect anything ELSE from this crowd....???

https://avatars-d.ravelrycache.com/frecklegirl/421966411/necklace_avatar_large.pnghttps://avatars-d.ravelrycache.com/casey/347986268/Photo_on_1-5-16_at_11.21_AM__3_large.jpghttps://avatars-d.ravelrycache.com/maryheatherb/477155093/22580264_126384818075716_2337763841812725760_n_large.jpghttps://avatars-d.ravelrycache.com/onestitchshort/367168186/IMG_5353__1__large.png

Perhaps they're counting on this for "Free Publicity" to increase their site membership, possibly even double it to Four paying members.

And I'm WAY too nice of guy to even THINK of such a thing but, without even mentioning Trump, what if I inquired about ordering supplies and a design for knitting a banner for Masterpiece Cake Shop - the place that got sued for denying service to someone they disagreed with? Would that put them into a collective meltdown of cognitive dissonance, or what?

#13 User is offline   Squirrel 

• <no title>

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:16 PM

Your correct there is no hatered to conservitave and no blocking from democrat comapies. How many blm groups, black panther groups, etc did the left use the irs to investigate in the god yrs of Obama? Wait I remember tea party people were standing out side voting sites with bats. . So yeah we can discuss who is allowed to talk or who gets so shut up if you want. Where would you like to start? I’ll let you began by listing a few times some conservative groups shut down democrats and threatened them. With out it being a fringe group conservitaves spoke out against. But it can’t be a fake hate crime claim. Then I can list a few the democrats actually did and people on thier side claimed that’s one off and brushed off.Then you can link where the democrat leaders denounced them. Fair?and before anyone says I just bring up race no I’ll let you list gay companies, transgender companies etc, it’s showing the mind set of your party. I think trump or a conservative leader or a republican has yet to call for “ get in thier face” etc in a speach. Guess who’s party has and that’s one example. So please let’s play this he game of that comment you posted

This post has been edited by Squirrel: 24 June 2019 - 06:32 PM

#14 User is offline   BootsieBets 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:40 PM

View PostGertie Keddle, on 24 June 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

BookwormRoom has a post about conservatives being dumped from Ravelry for dissing the Lightbringer after the 2008 election.

So if you deep dive the twitter thread they claim the reason for the Trump ban is due to a designer who supposedly had patterns that were racists and against LGBQT. A member reported that designer but there wasn’t an anonymous reporting function so the designer knew who reported them and apparently sent out that “reporter’s” info to the community. After which the person who made the report started receiving hateful email. After this happened they put a mechanism for making anonymous complaints, removed the offending designer from the site but then for some reason felt it necessary to ban Trump supporters from showing their support of Trump. They can still be on the site as long as they don’t talk about Trump, put any Trump/MAGA patterns on their site, etc. This was done to provide a "safe space" for minorities who had felt threatened – according to them.

So, if you believe this explanation, instead of just fixing the problem of not having an anonymous reporting system and taking care of problems as the arise, they used it as a way of dumping on Trump and anyone who supports Trump because in their fevered little minds they can’t stand to have anyone who doesn’t think the way they do express themselves on a site they frequent. Adorable little Fascists, aren’t they?

#15 User is offline   RedSoloCup 

• <no title>

Posted 24 June 2019 - 06:48 PM

Never heard of "Ravelry" until now, nor do I care about them....

Other than that, these SJWs can take their bigotry and shove it.

:yawn:

#16 User is offline   Severian 

• Order of the Seekers for Truth & Penitence
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:14 PM

People need to submit a lot of orange scarves and scarves of the First National Flag of the Confederacy, which none of these ignorant leftists recognize, they all think it's a Puerto Rican Flag or some other Latin American country, they are stupid and uneducated enough to think the Stars And Bars was the flag of the Confederate States Of America.

#17 User is offline   Liz 

Posted 24 June 2019 - 07:27 PM

View PostGertie Keddle, on 24 June 2019 - 05:21 PM, said:

Fascinating! I've been a member of Ravelry for years but I used it mainly for ideas, patterns, a place to keep track of my stash and to post pictures of my projects. While I was a member of several groups, I didn't spend much time posting there and missed a lot of the drama that was apparently going on without me. Thank God! :P

#18 User is offline   TNnative 

• owner of the desk
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:01 PM

I'm disappointed in Ravelry. I've used Ravelry for the patterns,to search out yarns, etc. I did get on some of the forums but mainly to read knitting tips and ideas. I guess I'll download the patterns I paid for, then delete myself from there.

I'm appalled that they want people to police the site and report offenders. That smacks of Nazis wanting the populace to report on hidden Jews.

Oh well, people knitted for thousands of year w/o Ravelry, we can continue doing so.

#19 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:25 PM

View PostSeverian, on 24 June 2019 - 07:14 PM, said:

People need to submit a lot of orange scarves and scarves of the First National Flag of the Confederacy, which none of these ignorant leftists recognize, they all think it's a Puerto Rican Flag or some other Latin American country, they are stupid and uneducated enough to think the Stars And Bars was the flag of the Confederate States Of America.

Okay, I'll bite. I don't get the 'Orange Scarves'. And I've even been a guest lecturer at Syracuse (though not (yet) at U Tenn).

#20 User is offline   Liz 

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:37 PM

View PostTNnative, on 24 June 2019 - 08:01 PM, said:

I'm disappointed in Ravelry. I've used Ravelry for the patterns,to search out yarns, etc. I did get on some of the forums but mainly to read knitting tips and ideas. I guess I'll download the patterns I paid for, then delete myself from there.

I'm appalled that they want people to police the site and report offenders. That smacks of Nazis wanting the populace to report on hidden Jews.

Oh well, people knitted for thousands of year w/o Ravelry, we can continue doing so.

I agree with you, knitting will survive but it's a shame that Ravelry's founders felt it necessary to screw up a pretty nice site with their juvenile fantasies.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users