RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Mindcleaner Fat Club Season 3 Week 10 - RightNation.US

-----
Rmemeber that time I said, " I figured we would check in every two weeks instead. We might even go to weekly check ins"? That was awesome.

Now you might be assuming that the reason I haven't checked in since week two is that I fell off the wagon and started mainlining donuts as soon as I hit "post" eight weeks ago. That's good. It means you know me well. But it's not the reason.

Truth is, I've been hitting it so hard, I've had neither time nor inclination to post about it here. I know that sucks, and I shouldn't start something and promise to update people without following through. So, I apologize.

The good news is I've lost 27.5 pounds so far.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/618/33362190176_ac5e65f4f6_h.jpg

I had one HARD cheat day. That's the day I mainlined donuts, pizza, and beer. It was my birthday, so all dispensations applied. Other than that, There were one or two breakfast burritos from Del Taco but well within my calorie range and I'm pretty sure I stayed on my carb pace those days, too. My son and I have cut out fast food in the morning and replaced it with good old fashioned homemade bacon and eggs. We take turns cooking in the mornings. The portions have even gotten smaller. I started off wolfing down six eggs and four strips of bacon. Now I'm down to two eggs and two strips of bacon.

I've added a protein shake in the evening after the gym. I don't know what effect it's had yet. I lost a pound since starting, so it hasn't hurt necessarily. Someone in my Dread Ilkcercise group said it's better to wait an hour after working out to have the shake because of insulin or magic. Something. I think it might be helping with my strength, though.

Last year when we joined the gym, I just lifted and didn't watch my eating, and I got strong pretty fast. There's a "default" level of strength, I think, where if you lay off for years even, it only takes a few months to get back to. For me, it's about six reps at 225 on bench. I'm not so sure on other lifts. Well, it's taking longer to get back to that default with the calorie restrictions (more on that directly). I can do a couple of sets at 225 for two or three reps. We'll see this week if the protein shakes have helped in that department. I have added the other powerlifting movements: squats, deadlifts, and cleans. All three are brutal, and I weep a little on those days knowing I'm about to get my butt handed to me by inanimate objects. Another thing I read is that men over 40 shouldn't do a lot of cardio because of cortisol, testosterone. and magic. Sounds good to me. I can't do a bunch of cardio anyway with my bad hip flexor. I get winded as dog crap on squats, deadlifts, and cleans, so there's your cardio. I still do about 10-20 minutes on the escalator stairs just to get warmed up.

I also like to use the escalator stairs to add calories on MyFitnessPal. I started off with a goal of two pounds a week, so they set me at 1850 calories. The more you lose, the fewer calories. I'm currently allotted 1630 calories. When I do stairs and powerlifting, I get to add two hundred or so calories. I could probably add more, but the stupid thing won't register calories burned for strength training unless you pay for the upgrade. Dirty capitalists. Recriminations shall be swift. In the meantime, I'm erring on the side of fewer calories.

Some of the foods that have sustained me are pot roast and chicken thighs. I finally hit on a good recipe for the former after several disasters. Salt and pepper all sides like a rub, grill each side (including the edges) for 90 seconds on hellfire, then finish in a 275 degree oven with 12 oz Guinness Blonde and 1/4 cup Worcestershire for 3 1/2 hours depending on the size of the chuck roast. That was my lunch for a week, and it made me happy all day. I only cried a little on the way to the gym for squats and deadlifts. The chicken thighs are even easier. Pour soy sauce of the the top of each piece just to moisten it, seasoning salt to taste, then bake in a 375-400 dgree oven until the skin is nice and crispy. A little over an hour in my oven. I do a whole bunch at a time.

And then there's the pulled pork from Costco. Holy schmoley, it's good. One box will last you a week easy.

So, there it is. My secret is counting calories and carbs and powerlifting. Stay tuned.

My Mind is Clean

15 Comments On This Entry

WHOO HOO! Good on you, Muscly Mindcleaner!

Wag-a-Muffin (D), on 12 March 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

WHOO HOO! Good on you, Muscly Mindcleaner!

I'm almost down to where I was when we played tennis.
Pot roast and chicken thighs. It's a start. In the Smithee household it's london broil and drumsticks. Same-same.

Somewhere in between "South beach" and "Mediterranean" and "Dean Ornish". Seems to work... so far.

Adam Smithee, on 12 March 2017 - 05:55 PM, said:

Pot roast and chicken thighs. It's a start. In the Smithee household it's london broil and drumsticks. Same-same. Somewhere in between "South beach" and "Mediterranean" and "Dean Ornish". Seems to work... so far.

How,do you do the London Broil?
Proteins more than carbs. And then piles of vegetables.

Adam Smithee, on 12 March 2017 - 06:29 PM, said:

Proteins more than carbs. And then piles of vegetables.

I mean how do you cook it?
Good for you. Keep it up that is awesome.
I do a decent amount of cardio in my workouts and am pretty lean, so I don't really buy that about cortisol (and honestly insulin is the villain hormone I think). Mostly I do high-impact low-duration cardio though, not, eg, a long go on a treadmill. So I might superset weight squats or triceps pushups or pull-ups or rows or well anything, with say 4-5 2-minute walks on the treadmill at max incline and a brisk walk. I think you said sprinting is out for you, so maybe the walk at high incline would be ok? Also you can tie a tension band to two poles and duck under it left and right (basically limbo but side to side and not THAT low). Pretty tiring and good for glutes and hamstrings, well your whole leg really. Does your hip allow mountain climbers? Good cardio too and good for core.

Another thing I did a lot about 3 years ago when I was a lot heavier (and still do from time to time) was intermittent fasting. That helped too--stopping eating at about 6-8 pm and not eating again until 10-12. Usually trying to 16 hrs without food, then doing all my eating in a 6-8 hour window. The body really starts to go for that hard-to-get-at fat.

But frankly it sounds like you are kicking butt and taking names. :)

JerryL, on 13 March 2017 - 07:51 AM, said:

Good for you. Keep it up that is awesome.

Thanks! Down another pound this morning.

Vandervecken, on 13 March 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

I do a decent amount of cardio in my workouts and am pretty lean, so I don't really buy that about cortisol (and honestly insulin is the villain hormone I think). Mostly I do high-impact low-duration cardio though, not, eg, a long go on a treadmill. So I might superset weight squats or triceps pushups or pull-ups or rows or well anything, with say 4-5 2-minute walks on the treadmill at max incline and a brisk walk. I think you said sprinting is out for you, so maybe the walk at high incline would be ok? Also you can tie a tension band to two poles and duck under it left and right (basically limbo but side to side and not THAT low). Pretty tiring and good for glutes and hamstrings, well your whole leg really. Does your hip allow mountain climbers? Good cardio too and good for core.Another thing I did a lot about 3 years ago when I was a lot heavier (and still do from time to time) was intermittent fasting. That helped too--stopping eating at about 6-8 pm and not eating again until 10-12. Usually trying to 16 hrs without food, then doing all my eating in a 6-8 hour window. The body really starts to go for that hard-to-get-at fat.But frankly it sounds like you are kicking butt and taking names. :)

The cardio I'm talking about is stuff like five mile runs and long bike rides. It sounds like you do high intensity interval training, which is very effective. I'll get going on that this summer.

Yes, insulin is the weight gain hormone, but that's a food thing. I don't know if the cortisol thing is for sure, but I do know the kind of cardio I did when I was in my 20s isn't going to work for me now. So, either way.

I kind of do the IF thing when I'm off work anyway. On weekends and holidays when I can sleep in a little, it just happens. And sometimes I can hit the gym and take a steam before breakfast. I think that's helped.

Mr. Naron, on 13 March 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

Vandervecken, on 13 March 2017 - 08:39 AM, said:

I do a decent amount of cardio in my workouts and am pretty lean, so I don't really buy that about cortisol (and honestly insulin is the villain hormone I think). Mostly I do high-impact low-duration cardio though, not, eg, a long go on a treadmill. So I might superset weight squats or triceps pushups or pull-ups or rows or well anything, with say 4-5 2-minute walks on the treadmill at max incline and a brisk walk. I think you said sprinting is out for you, so maybe the walk at high incline would be ok? Also you can tie a tension band to two poles and duck under it left and right (basically limbo but side to side and not THAT low). Pretty tiring and good for glutes and hamstrings, well your whole leg really. Does your hip allow mountain climbers? Good cardio too and good for core.Another thing I did a lot about 3 years ago when I was a lot heavier (and still do from time to time) was intermittent fasting. That helped too--stopping eating at about 6-8 pm and not eating again until 10-12. Usually trying to 16 hrs without food, then doing all my eating in a 6-8 hour window. The body really starts to go for that hard-to-get-at fat.But frankly it sounds like you are kicking butt and taking names. :)
The cardio I'm talking about is stuff like five mile runs and long bike rides. It sounds like you do high intensity interval training, which is very effective. It'll get going on that this summer.Yes, insulin is the weight gain hormone, but that's a food thing. I don't know if the cortisol thing is for sure, but I do know the kind of cardio I did when I was in my 20s isn't going to work for me now. So, either way.I kind of do the IF thing when I'm off work anyway. On weekends and holidays when I can sleep in a little, it just happens. And sometimes I can hit the gym and take a steam before breakfast. I think that's helped.

Oh yeah fasted workouts, if you can bull through them, are great. If I feel I am pushing the outer weight boundary I'm presently bouncing around in a little I do that (yes you're right about my regimens, high-impact). I'm 53. And you're right about the sleep, that's the best way to IF. Maybe the only livable way.

That's a pity about the bike rides though. I do long bike rides in good weather, but not as part of any workout plan. I just love biking. I know they help physically, but I don't pay any attention to that aspect; they're just too much fun to think of as exercise. Me, I just want the feeling of freedom and the big endorphin high at the end.

I am pretty sure I read something about long cardio sessions as well being counterproductive, but it was testosterone I read it affecting especially negatively (so it's wholly a male concern).

Here's something interesting: my HDL is very high (80). But my total cholesterol was also a tad too high when last I was checked (216). I don't want to go on a statin so I eat very low fat more for that reason than weight watching. I THINK I know what was doing it last measurement--too much fatty fish. Was eating that kind of fish 2-3 times a week. You can overdo the salmon and tuna, omega-3's be darned. So these days I plump for lean fish like flounder, scrod, snapper, etc more often.

Nearly 30 lb is pretty damned impressive. You must have dropped a couple of waist sizes by now. :welldone: My total back when I was at my heaviest was 50, although I think it's closer to 80-90 lb of fat when you account for muscle gain. You must have lost much more in fat, since you are working out and not just dieting. Probably 50-60 lb. It's amazing, ain't it? Like losing a person eventually.
The mean, insensitive weight loss group I belong to calls it losing a Lena, as in Lena Dunham. As a group, we had lost over 190 lbs, so a full Lena. I'm trying to lose half a Lena.

The problem with long cardio sessions was testosterone, but cortisol played a role, as did magic. But I forget the specific incantation.

What kind of oils do you use in cooking? They might be your cholesterol problem, not dietary fat intake. We use olive oil, butter, and coconut oil. Any processed oil like canola, cottonseed, vegetable, etc. is going to give you trouble.

Have you ever tried a low carb diet?
I eat very low carb and very low fat most of the time, and right now barely a carb is passing my lips--trying to get lean. I mean I eat pizza maybe 3 times a year, I don't eat pasta and potatoes, I barely ever eat bread--you get used to it. Not much fruit either, avoiding fructose. I look leaner but body fat has stubbornly stayed at 21% for a few months. I think my trainers really upped the ante this week though and went from Saddam Hussein to Torquemada in one phenomenal leap (eventually they will hit Severian or Palaemon or even Bugs Bunny). I almost never get sore and now I am getting sore. They heard me bitching about body fat and decided to grant my foolish wish. Now I am in a Wishmaster movie.

I have cut down on oil overall. I use olive, but I also use light butter, which may be half the calories because they fluff it out with water, but is still bad I think. But I use only tiny amounts of it for flavoring the olive or canola oil--which I will now switch out for coconut and walnut. I don't use it much but I have heard good things about walnut oil so hey anything to help out with the choli.
By the way, that is very funny about the Lena. Do you think your group might shoot for a Rosie? Maybe that's not physically possible, you would all look like Ethiopians from Ethiopian jokes.

Vandervecken, on 25 March 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

By the way, that is very funny about the Lena. Do you think your group might shoot for a Rosie? Maybe that's not physically possible, you would all look like Ethiopians from Ethiopian jokes.

Losing a Rosie? Yeah, that might get medical.
Page 1 of 1

2 user(s) viewing

2 Guests
0 member(s)
0 anonymous member(s)

Search My Blog

Recent Entries

New Blogroll! And...World's Shortest Movie Reviews

Blog Roll
Ace of Spades
National Review
Got News
RealClearPolitics
ZeroHedge
The Federalist
African American Conservatives
Instapundit

World's Shortest Movie Reviews
American Sniper: Bradly Cooper=Best Actor
The Arroyo: Had a Pureflix feel to the acting, but well shot. Great conservative movie.
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies: As usual, the third installment is the best--having an ending really helped.
The Maze Runner: The perfect metaphor for moving to Detroit.
Dumb and Dumber To: More jokes. Cruder jokes. Someone gets hooked on crack.
Snowpiercer: Joe Biden's idea of heaven. Everyone on the Earth living on a train. Captain America admits he was going to eat Billy Elliot.
Hunger Games: Catching Fire: This is what the world would look like without college football.
Interstellar 2001:A Space Odyssey with a soul. You will get very thirsty, so hydrate before viewing.
When the Game Stands Tall Proves my theory that it's worse when you win.
Guardians of the Galaxy Make a fun adventure movie about space and make a ton of money. Who knew? I mean, besides that Lucas guy.
Blended I don't get the "Billy Madison is genius, Blended is crap" review. It's as good as any other Sandler movie.
Mom's Night Out Hilarious. You will laugh unless you drive a black BMW and watch sunsets at the golf course.
The Amazing Spiderman 2 This series is still better than the Toby McGuire one. I actually cared if Gwen Stacy died.
Odd Thomas I understand the critics who didn't like the uneven tone. Way uneven. Still worth watching on Netflix.
Star Trek Into DarknessGood movie. Please, for the love of tribbles, let old Spock die.
Grown Ups 2 Critics, attack. Whatever you want to say about this one, I'm okay with it.
Thor: The Dark World Still very, very good. But I'd like an entire Thor movie set just in Asgard.