RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: The SAT Is Adding An 'Adversity Score' To Judge Students On &a - RightNation.US

The SAT Is Adding An 'Adversity Score' To Judge Students On &a Rate Topic: -----

#21 User is offline   gravelrash 

• I wish they all were punk rock girls
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:40 PM

View Posttailgunner, on 18 May 2019 - 06:05 PM, said:

Look at it another way. They just told the business community blacks didn't earn their degrees, while whites did. Who are you going to hire?

It's the dismissive attitude that physical labor is a sign of failure. Especially since the government took over student loans.

#22 User is online   Diamond369 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

I would think that merit would be a greater equalizer than any sort of affirmative action or any adversity score on the SAT or ACT or any other standardized test out there. I don't like quotas and I don't particularly like the message this new change is setting.

#23 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:48 AM

View Postwhwr55, on 16 May 2019 - 08:55 PM, said:

So just identify as a black lesbian extra terrestrial ya got it made

It is well known that the children of wealthier parents send their children to prohibitively expensive preparatory courses for the SAT, ACT, and others. The 'Adversity Points' (in theory) levels that advantage. This would benefit students in Appalachia as well as Compton.

#24 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:39 AM

View PostLadybird, on 19 May 2019 - 08:48 AM, said:

It is well known that the children of wealthier parents send their children to prohibitively expensive preparatory courses for the SAT, ACT, and others. The 'Adversity Points' (in theory) levels that advantage. This would benefit students in Appalachia as well as Compton.

How do "adversity points" "level that advantage"?

The SAT abilities of those receiving "adversity points" is still lower. The "adversity points" did not make them smarter. It simply lowered the standards required for entry by giving them "free points".

Do we really want to lower the standards required for entry? How does lowering standards help society? Won't that result in professionals of lesser ability entering society?

#25 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:56 AM

:bs:

It's supposed to be based upon how smart and talented that the student is, not about their economic background.

View PostNatural Selection, on 19 May 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

The SAT abilities of those receiving "adversity points" is still lower. The "adversity points" did not make them smarter. It simply lowered the standards required for entry by giving them "free points".

Do we really want to lower the standards required for entry? How does lowering standards help society? Won't that result in professionals of lesser ability entering society?

:exactly:

#26 User is offline   Confessor 

• <no title>

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:24 PM

View Postgravelrash, on 18 May 2019 - 07:40 PM, said:

It's the dismissive attitude that physical labor is a sign of failure. Especially since the government took over student loans.

It is mainly democraps and libtards that have a dismissive attitude towards physical labor. They also run the majority of schools and the media. So is it any wonder that the prevalent attitude is that if you actually do physical work for a living, that you are a loser? How many of the democrats in office, in the media, or in academia ever earned a day's pay for a day's work with physical labor? Not many I would wager. I know people that have master's degrees that are flipping hamburgers, and I know business owners and technical people that never got a degree that are quite successful, and quite often wealthy.

TLDR: There is absolutely nothing wrong with earning a living with physical labor.

#27 User is offline   zurg 

• <no title>

Posted 19 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

I understand what youíre trying to get at - give those at an economic or social disadvantage a chance. Thatís a noble principle. However, the point NS makes is actually more important. We want society to improve in every respect, or at least not go backwards.

Smart kids exist in Appalachia and Compton too. So letís go out and challenge those neighborhoods to get their kids tested and put on the track to excel. Letís not lower the standards. An adversity score should not be used to admit kids with low SAT scores. Adversity scores should be used to find kids with talent, and help by giving them more educational opportunity. Then we can see if they make it or not.

Public schools emphasize the average and they focus on the lower performers. They hold back the smart ones and they disincentivize high achievement (but if a kid makes it despite the school, the school is eager to take credit). Time to find the high achievers and reward them regardless of background.

This post has been edited by zurg: 19 May 2019 - 08:32 PM

#28 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:56 PM

View PostNatural Selection, on 19 May 2019 - 11:39 AM, said:

Recieving expensive tutoring doesnít make anyone smarter either. It just makes them better prepared for taking a test.

I bet this kid doesnít need them, but Iíd give him points anyway.
http://www.businessi...ictorian-2019-5

#29 User is offline   Natural Selection 

• Decrypt the truth

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:08 AM

View PostLadybird, on 21 May 2019 - 02:56 PM, said:

Recieving expensive tutoring doesnít make anyone smarter either. It just makes them better prepared for taking a test.

I bet this kid doesnít need them, but Iíd give him points anyway.
http://www.businessi...ictorian-2019-5

Your link is a good example of someone gaining access by merit, not pity. I have no problem with financial assistance being given to people with high GPA's. I DO have a problem with lowering entry standards (via free SAT points) in a misguided attempt at social engineering.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users