RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Half of Americans have used swimming pools as an alternative to shower - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Half of Americans have used swimming pools as an alternative to shower Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 04:57 PM

Half of Americans have used swimming pools as an alternative to showering, study finds
14 hrs ago

Excerpt:
Summer is almost here, and one of the ways to stay out of the heat is to take a dip in the pool.

But how clean is the water?

According to a new survey presented by the Water Quality and Health Council, 51% of Americans reported using a swimming pool as a communal bathtub — using the pool as an alternative to showering or rinsing off after engaging in exercise or yard work. Even though 64% of Americans know pool chemicals don't eliminate the need to shower, people continue to do it anyway.

“When dirt, sweat, personal care products, and other things on our bodies react with chlorine, there is less chlorine available to kill germs,” said Dr. Chris Wiant, chair of the Water Quality & Health Council. “Rinsing off for just 1 minute removes most of the dirt, sweat, or anything else on your body.”

The 2019 Healthy Pools survey, releaLinksed Tuesday, was conducted online by Sachs Media Group and measured perceptions and behaviors related to swimming pools and public health. The organization interviewed 3,100 Americans adults on April 12 and 13. The survey has a margin of error of plus or minus 2.7% at the 95% confidence level and was nationally representative of American adults in terms of age, race, gender, income and region.

The survey comes as experts from the council, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Pool and Hot Tub Alliance work to educate the public on healthy and safe swimming.

Along with not showering before entering a pool, 40% of Americans admitted they have peed in the pool as an adult. Urine reacts with chlorine, reducing the amount of chemicals available to kill germs.

The survey also revealed that 24% of Americans would go in a pool within one hour of having diarrhea, and 48% reported that they never shower before swimming. Most people did not know that pool chemistry can be impacted by personal care items such as makeup (53%) and deodorant (55%).

<snip>

Link

#2 User is offline   stick 

• The 'Little Genius' giving thanks
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Gold

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:03 PM

To be fair, it's the cleanest these folks have been in MONTHS...

#3 User is online   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 15 May 2019 - 05:48 PM

They have it backwards. Aren't you supposed to shower and rinse before going into the pool?

#4 User is offline   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:17 PM

:wave: We had a pool when my first four were 3,5, 7, and 9. And I confess, many times I'd be too tired to make sure everyone got a "proper" bath or shower. My husband would be working a 24 hour shift, so I'd just say to the kids, "dinner's over. Let's go swimming!"
Tired them out for bed time AND got off most of the grime.

Win-win.

Edited to add: It was then I learned that baking soda in rinse water gets the green out of blond hair.

This post has been edited by Wag-a-Muffin (D): 15 May 2019 - 06:18 PM

#5 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 15 May 2019 - 06:47 PM

View PostHieronymous, on 15 May 2019 - 05:48 PM, said:

They have it backwards. Aren't you supposed to shower and rinse before going into the pool?

Both.

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 15 May 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

:wave: We had a pool when my first four were 3,5, 7, and 9. And I confess, many times I'd be too tired to make sure everyone got a "proper" bath or shower. My husband would be working a 24 hour shift, so I'd just say to the kids, "dinner's over. Let's go swimming!"
Tired them out for bed time AND got off most of the grime.

Win-win.

Edited to add: It was then I learned that baking soda in rinse water gets the green out of blond hair.

That's different. It's your own pool with your own family germs.

#6 User is offline   searcher 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 15 May 2019 - 08:44 PM

Growing up I took my bath in the river in summertime.

Mark

#7 User is online   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang

Posted 15 May 2019 - 10:26 PM

View Postsearcher, on 15 May 2019 - 08:44 PM, said:

Growing up I took my bath in the river in summertime.

Mark

We would go to a lake in the Poconos and use that for bathing sometimes since the shower was on a 20 degree tilt, it seemed. We kids were told that Ivory soap wouldn't hurt the water.

#8 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:31 AM

The writer of the article leaves out the other variables.

Yes, the dead skin cells and other organic matter from human bodies do use up the free residual chlorine in the pool. But the writer doesn't believe that more chlorine (sodium hypochlorite) cannot be added to compensate for the demand? Like there is only so much and there cannot be any more added during the day? DUH!

Pool water can be just as safe and clean as any tap water if a CL2 residual of 2 ppm is maintained (which city tap water is supposed to be right out of your faucet) and the ph is kept between 7.2 to 7.6 and the pool's filter is also properly maintained.

I use a "floater" with HTH tablets in my pool to keep the CL2 residuals up constantly.

One more thing, urine itself is sterile, but is food for bacteria and pathogens and chlorine oxidizes urine. Chlorine also chemically oxidizes and bursts the cell walls of bacteria (organics) and oxidizes their contents so that they do not become food for other bacteria.

Sunlight breaks down chlorine and the heat from the water makes chlorine "break" or evaporate from the water too, so chlorine should be added constantly during the day but not excessively for safety concerns. Floating dispensers or dispensers that utilize HTH tablets in the filter discharge lines work great to safely maintain CL2 residuals. The problem with using floaters is that kids and not so bright adults can and will mess with them, open them up and come in direct contact with the HTH tablets. In my pool this doesn't happen because I won't allow it as I watch over everything. Public pools need to SLOWLY dose extra chlorine into the filter return line instead because people would mess with any floating dispensers if used.

If anyone ever wonders why public pools make everyone get out and stay out for an hour every so often is because they are adding in more chlorine to the water usually in pretty strong doses. They do not want anyone exposed to the spike in the level of chlorine coming from the filter returns so for safety they have to make everyone get out for awhile until the dose has fully dispersed and the CL2 residual is back down to a safe level.

Many public pools have other forms of disinfection such as ozone generators in their filter return lines.

I would still recommend everyone to rinse off after exiting a pool so as to remove any chloramines and oils from the skin. Chloramines in pools are the leftovers from any organic material that have not been fully oxidized by the chlorine dose and have combined with the weakened form of chlorine. Chloramines are also suspected to be a carcinogen especially if their vapors are breathed in for periods of time.

Chloramines are that pungent chlorine-like odor that you can smell when there isn't enough chlorine being used in a pool to meet the load/demand to fully oxidize the present organics. A pool maintained with a healthy managed dose of chlorine has very little chlorine smell.

This post has been edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger: 16 May 2019 - 03:59 AM

#9 User is offline   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people

Posted 16 May 2019 - 03:56 AM

View PostHieronymous, on 15 May 2019 - 05:48 PM, said:

Actually before and after is best.

Before lowers the organic loading upon the pool and after removes any chloramine residue and oils (usually/mostly suntan lotion) that were floating on the water's surface that are left on the body.

#10 User is online   erp 

• Undead Undead Undead

Posted 16 May 2019 - 05:03 AM

I’m not sure I understand how 51% of Americans have a, or access to, a swimming pool, for daily bathing? 🤷‍♂️

This post has been edited by erp: 16 May 2019 - 05:04 AM

#11 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:09 AM

View Posterp, on 16 May 2019 - 05:03 AM, said:

I’m not sure I understand how 51% of Americans have a, or access to, a swimming pool, for daily bathing? 🤷‍♂️

Who said anything about 'daily'?

#12 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:24 AM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 16 May 2019 - 06:09 AM, said:

Who said anything about 'daily'?

:lol: True..

#13 User is offline   DJGoody 

• <no title>

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:19 AM

View PostHieronymous, on 15 May 2019 - 10:26 PM, said:

We would go to a lake in the Poconos and use that for bathing sometimes since the shower was on a 20 degree tilt, it seemed. We kids were told that Ivory soap wouldn't hurt the water.

Poconos? Do you still live in that area? I am in the Central part of PA. Home of Little League World Series.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users