RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: Supreme Court Justices Split Along Unexpected Lines In 3 Cases - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Supreme Court Justices Split Along Unexpected Lines In 3 Cases Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is online   Moderator T 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: Moderator

Posted 17 June 2019 - 10:34 PM

Supreme Court Justices Split Along Unexpected Lines In 3 Cases

NINA TOTENBERG
NPR
6/17/19

EXCERPT:

With less than two weeks left in the U.S. Supreme Court's term, the justices handed down four decisions on Monday. Defying predictions, three were decided by shifting liberal-conservative coalitions.

Here, in a nutshell, are the results, as well as the fascinating shifting votes:

Dual sovereignty upheld, with Ginsburg, Gorsuch dissenting

In a 7-2 vote, the court reaffirmed its 100-year-old rule declaring that state governments and the federal government may each prosecute a person separately for the same crime, without violating the Constitution's double jeopardy clause. Dissenting were the court's leading liberal justice, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, and one of its most conservative justices, Neil Gorsuch.

Racial gerrymandering case thrown out with a mix of liberals, conservatives

Spurning pleas from Virginia Republicans, the court let stand decisions by lower courts finding that 11 state House districts were racially gerrymandered in violation of the Constitution. The Supreme Court said the Republican-dominated Virginia House of Delegates had no legal standing to appeal to the Supreme Court on its own when the state Senate and the state's attorney general had decided against appealing.

Ginsburg wrote the opinion for the 5-4 majority. She was joined by conservative justices Gorsuch and Clarence Thomas and liberal justices Sonia Sotomayor and Elena Kagan. Dissenting were conservative justices Samuel Alito, Brett Kavanaugh and Chief Justice John Roberts, as well as liberal justice Stephen Breyer.

(Full Story)

#2 User is offline   Howsithangin 

• The more ppl I meet, the more I like my cats
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 17 June 2019 - 11:46 PM

hmm. I'll take this as good news, that justices aren't cemented into place yet

#3 User is offline   Taggart Transcontinental 

• <no title>
  • View gallery
  • Group: +Gold Community Supporter

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:18 AM

View PostHowsithangin, on 17 June 2019 - 11:46 PM, said:

hmm. I'll take this as good news, that justices aren't cemented into place yet

Ginsburg is too old to be cemented anywhere, hell that fossil is well past the state of cement and moving to dust.

#4 User is online   Kilmerfan 

• Ah hell I still like Mel.
  • Group: Silver

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:54 AM

View PostTaggart Transcontinental, on 18 June 2019 - 12:18 AM, said:

Ginsburg is too old to be cemented anywhere, hell that fossil is well past the state of cement and moving to dust.

Maybe she is a Zombie?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users