RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: America’s obesity is threatening national security - RightNation.US

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

America’s obesity is threatening national security Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Ben Cranklin 

• Satiric Curmudgeon
  • Group: Gold

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:16 AM

America’s obesity is threatening national security, according to this study
By: Meghann Myers 21 hours ago
www.armytimes.com

It’s well known at this point that just under 30 percent of Americans ages 17 to 24 ― the prime age to join the Army ― aren’t eligible to join.

But beyond that, almost a third of those who sit down with a recruiter to take the first steps are immediately disqualified.

Why? Because of their weight.

“Out of all the reasons that we have future soldiers disqualify, the largest – 31 percent ― is obesity,” Maj. Gen. Frank Muth, head of Army Recruiting Command, said Wednesday at AUSA’s annual meeting in Washington, D.C.

A freshly published study, “Unhealthy and Unprepared” concludes that America’s rising numbers of overweight youth are going to have real impacts on the military’s ability to maintain effectiveness.

Link

#2 User is online   Rock N' Roll Right Winger 

• Pissing off all of the right people
  • Group: Silver

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:37 AM

Overweight?

How about the growing stupidity and crybaby problem of today's youth?

#3 User is offline   Diamond369 

• <no title>
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:33 AM

View PostRock N, on 11 October 2018 - 10:37 AM, said:

Overweight?

How about the growing stupidity and crybaby problem of today's youth?

Good point, but it seems that the Army has somewhat changed its qualifications when it comes to weight as far as bodyfat percentage. Can't a soldier who is qualified in other ways have the opportunity to join the Army before boot camp?

#4 User is online   Wag-a-Muffin (D) 

• Still clinging bitterly. . .
  • View blog
  • Group: Blog Moderator

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:22 PM

View PostDiamond369, on 11 October 2018 - 11:33 AM, said:

Good point, but it seems that the Army has somewhat changed its qualifications when it comes to weight as far as bodyfat percentage. Can't a soldier who is qualified in other ways have the opportunity to join the Army before boot camp?

Yeah. My son in law lost a lot of weight and looked really fit after boot camp.

#5 User is offline   Ticked@TinselTown 

• Unimpressed with Celebutards since Always
  • View blog
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 12 October 2018 - 01:09 AM

Wasn't this what Michelle Obama was blathering about before she unveiled her 'unfit for human consumption' school lunch program?

#6 User is offline   bigpapa 

• Zygotista

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:24 AM

Add to this that many who do qualify have only spent 6 months or so getting physically prepared for BCT. That's enough time for muscles to develop, and cardio to improve, but not enough time for bone density to develop. The number of stress fractures in BCT right now is way outside the norms. Bone density is improved by both diet and exercise. At least one of these seems to be missing in a lot of recruits.

This post has been edited by bigpapa: 12 October 2018 - 06:26 AM

#7 User is offline   Ladybird 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Copper Community Supporter

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:56 AM

View PostWag-a-Muffin (D), on 11 October 2018 - 03:22 PM, said:

Yeah. My son in law lost a lot of weight and looked really fit after boot camp.

A friends son lost almost 40 lbs in boot camp for the Marines. I'd do it too if I were younger and it wouldn't kill me.

#8 User is offline   NH Populist 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:40 AM

View PostLadybird, on 12 October 2018 - 06:56 AM, said:

A friends son lost almost 40 lbs in boot camp for the Marines. I'd do it too if I were younger and it wouldn't kill me.

When I went through boot camp at Parris Island, S.C. back in the day, the guys who were overweight were ordered to the back of the line by the command, "Fat bodies to the rear." When they got to the servers, their portions were about half the size of what everyone else was getting. It was amazing to see the transformation as they kept being fitted with smaller clothes...LOL

#9 User is offline   firecoco 

• Yes! We! Can!

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:47 AM

View PostLadybird, on 12 October 2018 - 06:56 AM, said:

You would never make it...You'd be bitch!ng about something not being fair your first couple of days

#10 User is offline   Liz 

• Group: Moderator

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:32 PM

View PostNH Populist, on 12 October 2018 - 08:40 AM, said:

When I went through boot camp at Parris Island, S.C. back in the day, the guys who were overweight were ordered to the back of the line by the command, "Fat bodies to the rear." When they got to the servers, their portions were about half the size of what everyone else was getting. It was amazing to see the transformation as they kept being fitted with smaller clothes...LOL

My husband tells a similar story. When he was at Parris Island, he narrowly avoided being labeled a "fat body". He said it put the fear of God in him.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users