RightNation.US
News (Home) | Righters' Blog | Hollywood Halfwits | Our Store | New User Intro | Link to us | Support Us

RightNation.US: The Last of the Greatest - RightNation.US

The Last of the Greatest Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Dean Adam Smithee 

• School of the Cold Hard Facts
  • View gallery
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 01:50 PM

Scotsman's post on the last of the Great Escape (RIP) got me thinking of the "Bigger Picture": We're rapidly losing "The Greatest Generation".

As a child of the '60s and teen of the '70s, at a time when everone else (it seems) was smoking dope and protesting VietNam (and :salute: to those who actually WENT to Vietnam), I was the world's #1 fan of a series of inexpensive (10c or 25c in the '60s) paperbacks called "Ballantine War Books" that included some VERY notable titles such as The Dam Busters, the Bridge at Remagen, God is My co-Pilot, etc. Between those AND other notable actions, I'm trying to think of who is the "last" of various things.

Not necessarily in any particular order:

The Dam Busters, by Paul Brickhill. Squadron Leader George Leonard "Johnny" Johnson, MBE, DFM, STILL ALIVE, last surviving member of RAF 617 squadron.

God Is My Co-Pilot, by (then) Col. Robert L. Scott RIP Brigadier General Robert Lee Scott (2006). Last Man standing: Frank Losonsky STILL ALIVE, age 98, last member of the Flying Tigers.

The Bridge at Remagen. Excellent Book. Almost-Excellent film. Still trying to figure out "survivors" if any. Of ALL the Ballatine War Books, probably my favorite

----------------------

Other "notable" events:

"Doolittle Raid" on Japan: STILL ALIVE: Richard E. Cole, age 103.

"Easy company"
(2nd battalion, E company). Edward Shames STILL LIVING Age 96.

"Iwo Jima" I dunno. Feel free.

let's make this an iconic list. Feel free to contribute.

#2 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>
  • Group: Silver

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:11 PM

Wow, that a Doolittle Raider is still among us!

And I think I read that they have an annual reunion where they drink a toast and the last man is supposed to do something special.

#3 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl
  • Group: +Silver Community Supporter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:24 PM

Interesting history of the Doolittle Raiders tontine: http://weaponsman.com/?p=8234

#4 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl

Posted 16 February 2019 - 02:30 PM

View PostDean Adam Smithee, on 16 February 2019 - 01:50 PM, said:

Scotsman's post on the last of the Great Escape (RIP) got me thinking of the "Bigger Picture": We're rapidly losing "The Greatest Generation".

As a child of the '60s and teen of the '70s, at a time when everone else (it seems) was smoking dope and protesting VietNam (and :salute: to those who actually WENT to Vietnam), I was the world's #1 fan of a series of inexpensive (10c or 25c in the '60s) paperbacks called "Ballantine War Books" that included some VERY notable titles such as The Dam Busters, the Bridge at Remagen, God is My co-Pilot, etc. Between those AND other notable actions, I'm trying to think of who is the "last" of various things.

Not necessarily in any particular order:

The Dam Busters, by Paul Brickhill. Squadron Leader George Leonard "Johnny" Johnson, MBE, DFM, STILL ALIVE, last surviving member of RAF 617 squadron.

God Is My Co-Pilot, by (then) Col. Robert L. Scott RIP Brigadier General Robert Lee Scott (2006). Last Man standing: Frank Losonsky STILL ALIVE, age 98, last member of the Flying Tigers.

The Bridge at Remagen. Excellent Book. Almost-Excellent film. Still trying to figure out "survivors" if any. Of ALL the Ballatine War Books, probably my favorite

----------------------

Other "notable" events:

"Doolittle Raid" on Japan: STILL ALIVE: Richard E. Cole, age 103.

"Easy company"
(2nd battalion, E company). Edward Shames STILL LIVING Age 96.

"Iwo Jima" I dunno. Feel free.

let's make this an iconic list. Feel free to contribute.

Walter Lord also wrote an excellent series of books including Incredible Victory (Midway), Lonely Vigil (coastwatchers), Miracle at Dunkirk, Day of Infamy, and others. Very good popular historian. I also have most of the wonderful Ballantine books mentioned.

This post has been edited by Bookdoc: 16 February 2019 - 08:45 PM

#5 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:16 PM

Is it the movie, "30 Seconds over Tokyo", with Spencer Tracy and Van Johnson about the Doolittle Raid?

I watched it more than once on the late show as a kid.

#6 User is offline   Coach 

• Coach
  • Group: Bronze

Posted 16 February 2019 - 03:50 PM

"Marine" the life of Chesty Puller is one of the best books ever about one of the greatest American heroes of all time.

#7 User is offline   Big Dave 

• ...and yes, I am compensating for something.
  • View gallery

Posted 16 February 2019 - 05:33 PM

"With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge

#8 User is offline   SARGE 

• <no title>

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:15 PM

The Last Battle by Stephen Harding.

Excellent read.

#9 User is offline   SARGE 

• <no title>

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:20 PM

View PostCoach, on 16 February 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

"Marine" the life of Chesty Puller is one of the best books ever about one of the greatest American heroes of all time.

Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller makes Patton look like a pussy. :whistling:

#10 User is offline   BerkeleyUnderground 

• <no title>

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:45 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 16 February 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

Interesting history of the Doolittle Raiders tontine: http://weaponsman.com/?p=8234

Thank you!

An excellent read!

Recently, I watched a Netflix documentary about the WWII Thunderbolts and I was struck by how young the flight crews were, the commanding officer on the group being filmed was like 22 years-old, and by how white they all were, not like the America of today.

And I imagined that these were the kind of guys who, after the war, went home and worked their butts off to make America the envy of the world and succeeded in spades to do just that.

But these days all that these people did is being diminished and looked down upon as just the sad and pathetic accomplishments of those who had "white privilege".

#11 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:47 PM

View PostBig Dave, on 16 February 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

"With the Old Breed" by Eugene Sledge

And don't forget Leckie's "Helmet for my Pillow"

#12 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:50 PM

View PostBerkeleyUnderground, on 16 February 2019 - 07:45 PM, said:

Thank you!

An excellent read!

Recently, I watched a Netflix documentary about the WWII Thunderbolts and I was struck by how young the flight crews were, the commanding officer on the group being filmed was like 22 years-old, and by how white they all were, not like the America of today.

And I imagined that these were the kind of guys who, after the war, went home and worked their butts off to make America the envy of the world and succeeded in spades to do just that.

But these days all that these people did is being diminished and looked down upon as just the sad and pathetic accomplishments of those who had "white privilege".

I have long studied WWII and look at today's youth (and mine-born in 1950) compared with our parents and grandparents generation. They were toughened by fdr's depression and learned to live with what they had. I do wonder if a crisis like WWII happened today what today's kids would be like. I know what mine did-joined the Navy and grew up.

#13 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl

Posted 16 February 2019 - 08:54 PM

View PostBerkeleyUnderground, on 16 February 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

Is it the movie, "30 Seconds over Tokyo", with Spencer Tracy and Van Johnson about the Doolittle Raid?

I watched it more than once on the late show as a kid.

Yes, it was and, while dramatized a bit, it was a real picture of what it was like. What it didn't show were the jap brutalities to the Chinese that helped them. Thousands were massacred.
BTW-when discussing them during WWII, they are japs. I know the history of what they did to not only Allied prisoners, but to the civilians they conquered. Now that they are behaving, they are Japanese.

#14 User is offline   tailgunner 

• <no title>
  • Group: +Bronze Community Supporter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 09:24 PM

How Japan blew the attack. Excellence. Also his stuff on Savo Island and The Coral Sea. Clear and to the point.

#15 User is offline   Hieronymous 

• Men with ropes around their necks don't always hang
  • Group: Platinum Community Supporter

Posted 16 February 2019 - 10:49 PM

Pacific War Diary by James J. Fahey. He served on the USS Montpelier from 1942 through 1945, and that ship was in on everything. Great first hand account of the Pacific War.

#16 User is offline   scotsman 

• <no title>

Posted 17 February 2019 - 06:44 AM

Dick Churchill was the last Great Escape escaper, I believe there are a few Stalag III prisoners still left, who didn't take part in the escape, but helped build Tom, Dick and Harry.

#17 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl

Posted 17 February 2019 - 10:48 AM

View Posttailgunner, on 16 February 2019 - 09:24 PM, said:

How Japan blew the attack. Excellence. Also his stuff on Savo Island and The Coral Sea. Clear and to the point.

They actually did us a great favor. In their navy, the conflict between the battleship admirals versus the carrier admirals lasted until it was too late. As we had no battleships, our carrier admirals came to the front early and learned fast.

#18 User is offline   Buckwheat Jones 

• <no title>

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:09 PM

View PostBookdoc, on 16 February 2019 - 08:50 PM, said:

I have long studied WWII and look at today's youth (and mine-born in 1950) compared with our parents and grandparents generation. They were toughened by fdr's depression and learned to live with what they had. I do wonder if a crisis like WWII happened today what today's kids would be like. I know what mine did-joined the Navy and grew up.

In 2001 I accompanied my then wife to France as a chaperone for a dozen of her French students. (Private high school). We went to normand and Omaha beach. Whet up to see the the defenses at point du Hoc and my ex asked me to tell the kids what had taken place at the battle. They had no idea.

Why would we want to invade France?

I’ve thought a lot about getting certified as a history teacher to try and do something to reverse this trend, probably won’t because when the transgender thing gets up a full head of steam in next few years, I wouldn’t be capable of getting on board with the whole pronoun thing, and would probably get fired.

#19 User is offline   grimreefer 

• U.S. Merchant Marine
  • View gallery
  • Group: Diamond Community Supporter

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:17 PM

View PostBuckwheat Jones, on 17 February 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

In 2001 I accompanied my then wife to France as a chaperone for a dozen of her French students. (Private high school). We went to normand and Omaha beach. Whet up to see the the defenses at point du Hoc and my ex asked me to tell the kids what had taken place at the battle. They had no idea.

I’ve thought a lot about getting certified as a history teacher to try and do something to reverse this trend, probably won’t because when the transgender thing gets up a full head of steam in next few years, I wouldn’t be capable of getting on board with the whole pronoun thing, and would probably get fired.

...or prosecuted.

#20 User is offline   Bookdoc 

• Daddy's little girl

Posted 17 February 2019 - 12:47 PM

View PostBuckwheat Jones, on 17 February 2019 - 12:09 PM, said:

I had people suggest I become a history teacher and I know that just ain't gonna happen. The education cabal has no desire for history teachers. All they want are propagandists who will follow the libturd line. Actual history doesn't follow the PC meme.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users